Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My name means hope  by Laikwalâssê

My name means hope

Chapter 4:  disillusion

Aragorn left the sick room of his son, after he had made sure that a healer would keep watch constantly.

He walked into the office he had established here at the House of Healing. When his duties allowed he enjoyed working alongside and helping the healers, giving him the opportunity to get in direct contact with Gondor´s populace.

He was sure the twins would come straight to the House of Healing so he would greet them here. It was no surprise when only half an hour later a knock sounded at his office door.

Arwen strode into the room alongside his brothers. Quickly kissing his wife's cheek, he directed his gaze at the two identically tall figures standing just inside the doorway.

Aragorn raised his head. “I’m glad to see you even if I wish it was in happier circumstances.”

For a moment, he felt awkward as the twins did not react nor did they come any closer. However, the hesitation only lasted for a second. Elrohir finally strode forward and enveloped the King into a tight hug.

“Oh Estel, we are glad to see you too and we are so sorry about what happened to Eldarion. We have come as quickly as possible.”

Aragorn had to swallow at the affection displayed, the strain and worry of the last days taking its toll. For a few seconds the man clung to the slightly taller elf as if the sheer presence of this ancient being could change everything. Elrohir did not mind only tightened his arms around the man’s shoulders.

This was one reason why Aragorn had chosen this room for their welcome. The elves would never disrespect his status in public; in fact, they would never show any emotion among strangers.

When Aragorn released the younger twin he was instantly enveloped in another hug, similar and yet different. Elladan said nothing but the same affection was evident in his touch.

After a short time Aragorn stepped back and sighed, relieved as he saw that Elrohir had placed his arm around his sister’s shoulders.

“Your rooms are ready; you are surely tired from….”

When Elladan held up his hand, the King stopped in mid-sentence.

“Estel, the journey was trying yes, but we want to see your son first. If we have understood your message correctly then we have no time to lose.”

Aragorn nodded. This was the older twin. Always coming straight to the point.

At Arwen´s distressed sound Elrohir only tightened his hold. After a quick glance toward his wife, and her nodded agreement, Aragorn took a deep breath.

“You are right. His health deteriorates with every passing minute. Two hours ago he slipped into a coma.”

The twins faces had sobered with Aragorn's words and the man had not missed the look Elrohir had sent his brother.

“Let us see for ourselves, then we can decide on further actions,” Elrohir suggested and his deep and gentle voice seemed to have a soothing effect. Aragorn nodded and motioned the elves to follow him. Arwen had already left the room, hurrying ahead.

 

…………………………………………

Aragorn stood aside while the elves examined his son. Arwen sat on the edge of a chair letting neither her brothers nor her son out of her sight.

She refrained from saying anything however. Just like their father, the brothers also tolerated no interruptions while working on a patient.

Elladan and Elrohir took their time, examining the little boy thoroughly. They even loosened the bandage around the child's head to take a closer look at the head wound. They spoke no words, yet Aragorn was sure they were communicating briskly via their mind speech.

Although the head wound seemed improved to Aragorn's eyes, he knew that the problem was located deeper beneath the skull. Again he shuddered thinking about the surgery they intended to do, if the twins approved of the procedure.

Eventually Elladan motioned for all present to leave the room. His face revealed nothing of his thoughts. Aragorn did not know if the strained expression on Elrohir´s face meant good or ill.

When Arwen opened her mouth to protest Elladan only looked at his sister and instantly they came to some sort of acquiescence that Aragon could only guess at.

Back in Aragorn’s office the twins looked briefly at one another. As always Elladan took the lead.

“Arwen, Estel, the state of your son's health is very serious and we have not one more minute to waste, however I’m not sure if we should perform this surgery.”

Aragorn and Arwen looked equally shocked at these words. They had expected much discussion, weighing of options, even some critical remarks, but not an outright denial.

“Why?” Arwen cried and looked at her brothers, bewildered. Elladan answered the gaze with a blank expression, yet Aragorn knew his brother well enough to look behind the built up self-control. Even though he had nearly cried out with the same irritation, he waited patiently to hear how the elf would justify his decision.

Yet instead of Elladan, his bother Elrohir answered the question.

“Arwen, Estel, we have only performed this surgery twice before, and both times the patients died. The risk of infection is great and we do not know how much damage has already been done. We do not want to risk the life of your son. Perhaps we must accept fate.”

Despite the cruel words the elves' faces remained passive and blank. Arwen´s face contorted in anger.

“How can you say this?” she cried, her gaze wavering between her brothers.

“If the is any hope of rescuing our son then you two must take it….,” her last words were drowned in tears. She had stormed forward and was now pounding her fists against Elladan´s chest in a helpless gesture of devastation.

Elladan let her proceed until she had exhausted her initial rage. Finally he pulled her into a tight hug while looking at his brother over her head.

Aragorn had closed his eyes in sorrow. As sceptical as he was at first, he had hoped that the twins could rescue his young son. Now all was lost. By no means would he perform this operation alone, nor would he allow Master Tarostar or anyone else other than his brothers to do it.

When his wife’s sobs had subsided the door was suddenly pushed open. The young healer Aragorn had assigned to watch over Eldarion was standing in the doorway, panting.

“My… Lords, my Lady,” the healer addressed the room’s occupants stumbling over the twins presence. Tearing his gaze from the elves the healer looked straight at his King after a brief bow.

“You son is having difficulty breathing. You must come quickly.”

The young man had barely finished his sentence when Aragorn, the twins and Arwen streamed out of the room.

Hastening down the corridor where the sickrooms were located, Aragorn did not care about the bewildered looks following him and the elves.

Reaching the door he yanked it open, startling Master Tarostar who was bent over his son’s bed. Aragron blanched when he heard the agonized, harsh sounds Eldarion was making in a fruitless attempt to draw breath. The boy’s lips were already blue and his little fingers clawed desperately into the sheets.

Without hesitation the twins stepped forward and sat left and right on the mattress. Tarostar narrowed his eyes but stepped back without comment. He had not yet met the brothers of his Queen, yet he knew of them and it was not hard for him to identify the tall elves.

Aragorn had the presence of mind to squeeze the arm of the healer in thanks before he stepped next to his son’s bed. Arwen was perched on the mattress edge next to her son’s head, her eyes filled with tears.

The brothers did not react outwardly to their feelings. They had both closed their eyes and had placed their hands on the exposed chest of the boy. Aragorn’s gaze was glued to his son’s torso.

He had often seen his father perform a healing trance but each time he was fascinated. His hands could emit healing power but it was nothing compared to what the elves could do. Within minutes the seizures stopped and the boy was breathing more easily. After a while the bluish tinge on his lips lessened and his cramped muscles relaxed.

The twins opened their eyes and after slowly breaking the contact they stood. Master Tarostar blinked. He was not sure what had just happened.

Aragorn looked first at Arwen and then at his brothers. He was well aware that this was only a short reprieve. Eldarion´s state was critical and a decision had to be made immediately.

“I will take my leave,” Tarostar suddenly said into the deafening silence.

“No, please stay,” Elladan said quickly. Arwen´s head snapped around, her gaze fixed on her brother. “What we have to say now concerns you too.”

The healer inclined his head while Aragorn furrowed his brow. What would come now? If the twins repeated their denial, why did they need the Master Healer?

After Elladan had looked at all in the room and received a nod from his brother he cleared his throat.

“We must revise our earlier statement. Whatever surgery can be done must be performed immediately, without further delay. We will perform this surgery but with two conditions that must be met.”

While Aragorn narrowed his eyes and Arwen slowly stood up from the bed Elladan continued, his gaze piercing both concerned parents.

“First, we will need help but it will be that of Master Tarostar, if he is willing, and not you Estel. Second WE will decide if or when it makes no more sense to continue the operation.”

Aragorn stumbled back as if he had received a blow. Why wasn't he allowed to assist in healing his son? His hands had more healing powers than any other men and he was the most experienced healer in all of Gondor. Additionally, it was his son’s life they were fighting for.

“And that’s just the reason why you should not be involved,” Elrohir suddenly said calmly next to his ear. Aragorn nearly jumped. He had not realized the younger twin had moved.

With an angry glare Aragorn looked at his brother. He felt blindsided and dismantled, yet before he could express his anger Arwen had stepped next to him.

“Maybe it’s the best decision, love. You are too emotionally involved. It would help neither our son, nor you.”

Still angry at being told what to do Aragorn slowly let rationality return to his thoughts. After some honest analysis, he relented.

“Maybe you are right,” he said at no one in particular.

“Master Tarostar, if you are willing to assist I would be very grateful.”

The palace healer did not look overly pleased, but his next words belied his expression.

“I would be honoured to help, my Lords,” he answered.

“Then this is settled,” Elladan announced ignoring his still angry brother. “We want to start immediately.”

With a last look at his unconscious child, Aragorn turned and left the room.

To be continued………………     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List