Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My name means hope  by Laikwalâssê

My name means hope

Chapter 7:  a gift for the King

Aragorn applauded when another artiste had ended his performance. For two days now the celebrations for his 95th birthday had been in full progress. As much as he disliked the fuss concerning him, he had to play along and endure the many performances in his honour.

Even though most of the entertainment was high quality and created with much consideration, his thoughts were always straying to his family, and of course to his son in particular. Eldarion had made some progress after his father had set aside his stupid resentment and after he had demonstrated the deep love he felt for his son, yet the boy was still but a shadow of his former self.

Eldarion could not accept his restrictions and had become withdrawn. Seldom did he show his feelings or let anyone come near enough to get a glimpse of his soul. Not even Arwen could reach her son’s fea fully of late.

The last two month Aragorn had barely if at all, time to spend with his son. Many ambassadors had to be greeted and accommodated; meetings followed each other with no time for a break.

Arwen had left his side two hours ago, the twins were nowhere to be seen and even Legolas had appeared to have vanished into thin air. Until now he had not found one minute to excuse himself. Irritated, he looked around to get a glimpse of Faramir, but his councillor also was conspicuous by his absence.

This was strange. Where had they all vanished to? Aragorn wished nothing more than to see his son and spend these days with him. Maybe Eldarion would find some joy in the many colourful spectacles, yet it seemed that everyone had conspired to keep him apart from his son these last two days.

He knew that this was absurd, but what was behind the absence of Arwen and all his friends right now? Soon he was engaged in another talk with a major of a small town on the outskirts of Gondor and dutifully listening to the many problems and proposals of various people.

 

…………………………………………………….

 

 

Arwen looked around the corner and quickly stepped back when Aragorn looked towards her just at that moment. She sighed with relief that he had not glimpsed her then smiled at Legolas who was standing right behind her.

“We should start unless he gets suspicious, more so than he already is,” she declared. Legolas nodded and gave the signal. The spectacle could begin…..

 

…………………………………………………….

 

Aragorn rose. He had had enough. For three days now, his birthday celebrations had been going on with no respite for him. Even during the evenings and long into the night, the feasting had continued. Always there were new guests he had to satisfy with his presence. There was barely enough time for a quick good night kiss for his wife and son, and he had fallen in bed deadly tired.

The celebrations could surely go on without him for the time being. He wanted to take a bath, to look after Eldarion, to talk to Arwen…….

Just as the din in the great hall had lessened a little due to his signal, a fanfare was heard. Aragorn closed his eyes briefly. Great - another performance! Before he could do anything, Faramir had stepped onto a dais asking for silence. At least his Steward had reappeared. With renewed interest, Aragorn listened to what Faramir had to propose. Discretely he looked around but again could again not glimpse Arwen, his brothers, Legolas, or his son somewhere.

Faramir had announced a tournament was to be held and Aragorn raised an eyebrow in surprise. About this, he had known nothing and he could not glimpse any preparations for such a performance.

Then however, he blinked when those taking part entered the area in front of the citadel. Aragorn instantly smiled. The combatants were all children mounted on little ponies led by their little squires.

At the end of the row came a knight fully clothed in shining silver armour with a helmet with a closed visor.

Aragorn narrowed his eyes. Amongst the children someone ran clothed in a ridiculous multi-coloured outfit, darting back and forth between the ponies, patting the little animals and shoving a slipped backside gently back into the saddles. Aragorn shook his head with a laugh. Legolas had also re-appeared.

Aragorn had not to wait long to be surprised by his other missing friends. Two identically clad standard-bearers walked regally up the pathway, their eyes never straying from the King. Aragorn had to suppress a smile at the sober expressions of his brothers. If only Arwen could be here to see this, but his wife was surely with their son and he was grateful for that.

“You err again, my King,” Arwen whispered next to his ear before she took a graceful seat next to her husband. Aragorn smiled at her, even if he regretted that they had to give the care of their son into other hands.

Arwen squeezed his fingers and for a moment an odd expression flittered over her face. Before Aragorn could contemplate what he had seen, the twins had reached the dais he was sitting on. With an overblown gesture, both elves bowed deeply.

“My Lord King, may we proudly present to you the best little fighters throughout your mighty Kingdom, along with the fearsome knight Lord Celevon.”

`…….silver indeed….´ Aragorn mused when he regarded the “fearsome knight” closely. His armour was really glittering and flashing into the sun. The boy, or was it a girl, could be not older than ten years. Through the closed visor he could not glimpse the “knight’s” face.

“Do you accept the offer to fight for you, my Lord?” Elladan asked with a deadly serious expression. Aragorn had to suppress a smile and answered with the same earnestness in his voice.

“I accept the offer on one condition. The knight has to show his face after the tournament. I need to know what mighty warriors Gondor has to offer.”

Elladan briefly reflected on that demand and inclined his head eventually.

“The knight will reveal his identity if he is victorious. He expects to be assigned to your troops then.”

Aragorn inclined his head.

“That can be arranged,” he answered, giving the signal for the combat to start. And the tournament began. Aragorn had to smile how thoughtfully the little games were considered; not overtaxing the children nor bringing them into any real danger. This was surely Faramir´s doing.

Silently Aragorn thanked his friends for this welcome interruption from all the political talks with ambassadors. But not only he was delighted by the children’s performance, the whole audience was highly amused, showering the children with much applause.

Aragorn narrowed his eyes when he recognized that Legolas was never straying far from the boy playing the knight. His performance was good, but obviously, the boy had some trouble staying on the little pony when the animal made an awkward step. By the end of the tournament, the knight had won and knocked all his combatants out of the game. Legolas and the twins were managing everything well so there were no real losers.

Now the “fearsome knight” came up the pathway, presenting himself to the King. Elladan and Elrohir were standing to the left and right and Legolas was leading the pony.

“My Lord, may we present to you, the victorious Knight, Lord Celevon.” Elrohir made a deep bow and gestured toward the still mounted child.

Aragorn smiled and rose with Arwen beside him.

“We thank thee for thou great performance, but before I consider taking thee into my ranks, Sir Knight, you must reveal your identity.”

Legolas helped the boy from the pony and accompanied the child until the “knight” was standing right in front of the King.

“My Lord, consider your loyal servant Eldarion Telcontar,” the Elf pronounced and before Aragorn could gasp, the boy had taken off his helmet.

Aragorn nearly missed a step when he came down and knelt in front of his son. The boy was smiling all over his face, no he was glowing with pride and joy and laughing outright, enjoying the moment greatly.

Aragorn could only hug his little boy, all his strain and worry for a moment forgotten. After a while, father and son released one another and Aragorn looked long and deep into his son’s eyes and saw a new courage to face life. When Arwen moved to stand beside them Aragorn looked up in wonder.

“Have you seen what he has done?” he asked, at the same time realizing his question sounded stupid.

“Yes, my love, I have seen it,” Arwen announced while hugging her son too. When the audience began to applaud and the din did not subside, Aragorn looked up and right into the eyes of the three Elves standing in the background. He knew exactly whom he had to thank for his son’s transformation and who had made possible.

 

………………………………………

 

Later that evening after he had kissed his son goodnight, Aragorn returned to the comfortable sitting room where all his friends were already gathered.

He could still not believe what great progress Eldarion had made. If one didn’t know, they would not be aware that the boy was hampered in any way. Aragorn knew that he was deceiving himself. The evening procedure of bringing Eldarion to bed had again shown how much help the child still needed, yet he was well on the road to recovery.

When he had closed the door to the sitting room Aragorn looked into the open faces of his brothers, his friends, and of course his wife. He did not know how he could express his thanks, he had so many emotions difficult to put into words.

Elladan suddenly rose, pressed a flagon filled with deep red wine into his hand and steered the King toward a comfortable seat.

“No words needed, brother. We are all glad that our intervention worked. Eldarion will recover. He has still some way ahead but he will manage now. Drink your wine; it’s YOUR birthday after all.”

Aragorn swallowed when Arwen right next to him squeezed his hand. He took a hearty draught.

“Thank you,” he murmured softly, but he was sure that at least the elves had heard him.

“You are welcome,” Faramir answered equally softly Aragorn closed his eyes in gratitude. The worst was over. Gondor´s future and his own no longer looked dark.

 The End.

      





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List