Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ruin  by Laikwalâssê

Ruin

Chapter 5:  hope against hope

Three months had passed since the elves had returned from the journey to Ortanc. Elrond and his chief librarian had already started to catalogue and sort the valuable tomes and scrolls, the unrecorded notes and observations the Istari had made while residing in his tower. Elrond had to consciously remind himself had a few times  to replace the big tomes about lore and healing on the shelves as not to get lost in reading and searching and neglect his task in ruling the hidden valley.

While normality had quickly returned to the community of Imladris after the elves had unloaded the huge wagons, one elf was not the same as before.

Returning to his desk that day, Elrond sighed while thinking about the elf he had had to remind of his duties of late. Since their return Glorfindel had, as expected, spent every free minute beside the woman they had rescued from the depths of Ortanc. Long had the healer accepted this, always with the hope that the warrior would one day see that his hopes would futile.

Until today, Glorfindel had never listened to Elrond’s careful hints that he had to accept the poor woman’s fate. Only yesterday, the two Elf-lords had a sharp argument. Glorfindel was neglecting his duties to an extent now no longer tolerable to the Master of Imladris. Schedules for new patrols had not been made, much less assigned. The warrior training program had been cut short and his councillor’s presence in the office was lacking.

Glorfindel had denied his failure and declared that his free time was at his own disposal. This was unusual for the ancient elf. He had always been reasonable and had no qualms about admitting an error. However, since the arrival of the she-elf in this house the warrior had changed drastically.

Only the well- being of the woman was now on his mind. Elrond took a deep breath and exhaled. Well- being – this was a term he would not use in describing the haggard body not really living, yet not dead either.

For three months, the woman lay in the bed they had placed her after arriving. Her outward hurts, marks and bruises on her skin had healed and vanished due to the constant attention the staff of healers were bestowing on her, even any broken bone or dislocated sinew was no more, and yet the damage went much deeper and these hurts were not easy to cure, if at all.

The best singers with mental powers had sung countless hours to her, Elrond had countless times poured healing energy into her, and even the mysterious power of ancient Glorfindel had not made the tiniest difference.

Finally, the Master healer had given up and declared again, what he had already stated at the dark tower that this woman would never wake and that there would be no power this side of the sea that could rouse her from her death-like state.

Glorfindel had not accepted this and accused Elrond that he was deliberately denying help to the woman.

The discussion had ended in an outright argument and Elrond was shocked that Glorfindel accused him again of not doing all in his power to help the she-elf and that the fair-haired elf was not willing to see reason.

After that, the relationship of the Elf-lords could be described as strained at best. Any effort to speak with the warrior again had only brought Elrond indifferent rejection.

Being an elf equipped with much patience and understanding, Elrond was slowly nearing a point he was no longer willing to tolerate.

Their guest at the infirmary was disrupting plans and schedules even if the woman could not really be blamed for this. Apart from neglecting his duties, Glorfindel was grating on the healers’ nerves. Many had already complained about the constantly hovering Elf-lord and Elrond was no longer willing to placate his staff.

He should have never allowed the warrior to bring the she elf into his valley. Yet the damage was done and today Elrond had decided to confront Glorfindel head on and demand an explanation about how the Vanya was planning to go on.

After crossing the corridor connecting his private quarters with the infirmary, Elrond was just about to open one of the great double doors when the left door was pushed outward with such vehemence that he had to jump aside to avoid getting hurt.

Tinár, the chief healer of his staff, stormed outside with a dark scowl on his face. He almost bumped into the Half-elf who suddenly appeared in his path. With a surprised gasp, Tinár stopped his hasty strides and looked at the other healer with narrowed eyes.

“Elrond, either he leaves the healing rooms or I will do it, and as long as he resides in there I will never set one foot in there again.”

Without another word, the healer turned and hastened down the corridor. Elrond swallowed. Tinár was the most even-tempered and patient elf he had ever known, really predestined for his profession.

When he appeared this agitated then Glorfindel must have done something really upsetting and Elrond had no doubt that Tinár was referring to his advisor.

Elrond entered the room even more determined to speak to the warrior.

As expected, Glorfindel was standing beside the bed of the she-elf lecturing his staff about the treatment of the unconscious elf. The stiff posture of Calan told Elrond that even the older elf was hard pressed not to argue back, only his experience and self-control were holding his retort in check.

Not willing to accept another minute of this, Elrond strode through the room until he was standing right beside the two elves. They had not recognized his presence, being too preoccupied with their discussion.

Elrond cleared his throat.

“Calan, would you please excuse us – Glorfindel a word?”

Everyone not familiar with the Half-elf would have thought this a normal question, yet the grimace on Calan´s face spoke volumes. He knew his chief exactly. Elrond was angry and the short and clipped tone had made this more than clear.

While Calan only bowed and turned to quickly leave the room, Glorfindel narrowed his eyes at the rude interruption.

“Elrond, Calan has not changed her nightdress this morning……”

“Glorfindel, stop!”

The loud command cut short the warrior as well as silencing any other conversation in the room.

Not willing to let the warrior come to his senses, Elrond stepped closer.

“I expect you in my office immediately. We have something to clarify.”

Without another word or glance, the healer turned and left a stunned Glorfindel behind.

 

………………………………………………

Elrond had not to wait long. He had just taken his seat behind his great desk when the door to his office was pushed open and Glorfindel strode into the room.

With a demeanour, as if he did absolutely not know why the healer had ordered him into his office the warrior hovered just inside the door.

“Elrond, please keep it short, Halleth needs a bath and….”

When the Half-elf raised a hand Glorfindel stopped in mid-sentence.

……Halleth……indeed………..mysterious……how fitting

“Glorfindel sit down, I have something to tell you.”

When Glorfindel started to protest Elrond rose behind his desk.

“Commander, sit down. This is an order!”

That was a language Glorfindel did understand. Without another word, the warrior sat in the chair opposite the desk. He looked at the healer with narrowed eyes.

“What is this all about, Elrond?” he asked carefully neutral.

The healer took a deep breath.

“Glorfindel please don’t play stupid with me. You know exactly what I’m talking about. Your behaviour of late is intolerable and you are annoying my staff. The woman…..

 

“….Halleth…” Glorfindel interjected.

“….Halleth….. is sufficiently cared of. She does not improve more with your constant hovering……”

“…how can you know?” Glorfindel interrupted again and when the healer narrowed his eyes at the renewed affront, the warrior leapt up.

“Elrond, I will not abandon her. I’m positive that she is reacting to my presence and if this is not convenient to your plans then….”

“Then what, Glorfindel?” Elrond cried really angered now.

Glorfindel was, after all, not an elf without obligations. He was the captain of the guards, the valley’s Troop commander and he was his advisor and councillor. A great deal of responsibility entrusted in one person. Never had Elrond doubted his choice, which made him now all the more disappointed over the elf’s behaviour and lack of sense.

While Elrond had expected a heated reply, Glorfindel was only shrugging his shoulders. Also so very uncommon for his friend.

Suddenly the warrior was turning and standing only inches apart from the healer.

“Elrond, whether you like it or not. I will not abandon her and though you tell me a thousand times otherwise I’m convinced that one day she will awake and then I will be there.”

Elrond had not moved a muscle. He was tired of discussing this topic again and again.

“Then Glorfindel my decision is made,” Elrond said while taking a deep breath. If you will not return to your tasks as I require them of you, then I’m forced….”

”….what?” Glorfindel now also cried.

“You will do what? Dismiss me? Send me from the valley?”

The warrior´s face was expressing outright anger now.

Elrond anger was rising too. Glorfindel was talking nonsense, yet if the warrior was continually neglecting his duties he had to assign someone else. Even after the war, the safety of the valley was paramount and Elrond needed a confidant and Glorfindel was neither a Troop Commander now nor did he fill in the role as his advisor right now.

Elrond could have lived with a limited availability of his friend but this complete withdrawal was not acceptable.

Before either of them could say anything, however, the door to the study was pushed open.

Tinár stood in the doorframe panting.

“My Lords, you will not believe it, the woman has awakened!”

To be continued………………….





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List