Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ruin  by Laikwalâssê

Ruin

Chapter 7:  soul mate

Glorfindel closed the door behind him and inhaled the warm summer breeze. It was the first day of hrívë and it promised to be another wonderful summer day.

His gaze wandered along the stone paved streets, up to the white tower of the King’s citadel. The impressive city of Gondolin never ceased to amaze him with her beauty. It always reminded him of ancient Tirion that lay beyond the Great Sea.

It was the year 511 F.A. and the hidden city was thriving within the protecting lap of the encircling mountains.

“Glorfindel!”

The warrior smiled at the sound of his name, already knowing who was greeting him. Just a moment later, Ecthelion, Lord of the House of the Fountain, was coming down the street with his long strides.

Before he could return the greeting, he was enveloped in a big hug.

“Good morning, brother,” the dark-aired elf said after stepping back and looking his friend up and down. He was as tall as Glorfindel, his long ebony hair flying loose in the wind.

Ecthelion was a sight to behold. Today the great feast of Tarnin Austa began – the gates of summer - and the Elf-lord was gleaming all over in his silver armour. Glorfindel however did not look less imposing.

His long golden hair was equally flowing and the magnificent breastplate of his golden armour threatened to outshine the sun.

“Good morning, brother, have you recovered from the evening?” Glorfindel replied with a twinkle in his eye.

Ecthelion only laughed. Yesterday evening, he, Glorfindel, and a few lords of the city had met at a popular tavern and celebrated their recent promotions. The night was almost over when they had returned home.

“Come, let us rescue the noble ladies from loneliness,” Ecthelion suggested grinning. His smile, however, vanished when he recognized his friend’s melancholic gaze.

Ecthelion clapped the fair haired warrior on the shoulder. “Forgive me, my friend, I forgot. Your heart is already lost.”

Glorfindel shoved his friend away. He knew Ecthelion was only teasing, but he also knew that the other elf was right. Only half a year has gone by since he had met the most beautiful woman he had ever seen…..

 

………………………………………..

 

Glorfindel stretched his aching back when he crossed the last of the seven gates closing Gondolin off from the outer world. Ecthelion was behind him looking equally tired. For three weeks, they had been on patrol along the mountain passes.

Even if the city was perfectly hidden behind the high mountain walls, King Turgon did not take any risks. Regularly, he ordered his warriors to patrol the passes to make sure that the beautiful city would continue to remain unknown to the world.

It was still a three hours ride across the greensward to reach the outer buildings of the city so Glorfindel closed his eyes to relax; his horse knew the way well.

When he had travelled half an hour in this state, knowing that his sworn brother would do the same, both horses whinnied to alert their masters. Glorfindel raised his head and opened his eyes to see what had spooked his horse. Ecthelion followed his example and both elves scanned the area to determine what had alerted their faithful steeds.

Glorfindel narrowed his eyes when he recognized an upturned wagon on the shore of a small lake they would have reached in a few minutes.

He looked back at his friend, but Ecthelion had already urged his stallion forward. Glorfindel swore under his breath, already sensing that something was not right.

Many inhabitants of the city enjoyed their free time away from the town at the many small lakes surrounding the imposing city walls. Small glades and clusters of bushes strewn throughout the greensward invited them to relax. So it was no surprise to meet elves on their way to the city, yet an upturned wagon was surely out of the ordinary.

Ecthelion had already reached the lake and dismounted when Glorfindel arrived. He sharply halted his horse and jumped from its back.

“Glorfindel, come quickly and help me,” Ecthelion urged and only then could Glorfindel see what the reason for his friend’s agitated voice was.

Half buried beneath the right site of the upturned wagon was an elf. When Glorfindel had rounded the cart, he realised that it was a woman. Ecthelion was already trying to lift the wagon upwards.

Quickly moving next to his friend, Glorfindel placed his hands under the loading platform and together they managed to lift the wagon and turn it on the other side away from the she-elf.

Instantly the two warriors knelt next to the woman. Glorfindel carefully turned the woman around. He searched for a pulse and breathed a sigh of relief when he found a steady heartbeat.

Ecthelion was looking anxiously at the small rivulet of blood trickling down the woman’s face, beginning on her temple. Obliviously, she had hit her head when the cart had tipped. The accident had happened recently.

Glorfindel looked around but of the horse, he could see no trace. It had apparently bolted or already returned to the city.

“I will bring a blanket,” Ecthelion announced and Glorfindel simply nodded.

Carefully, Glorfindel lifted the limp body in his arms and carried the elf to a nearby tree to provide some shelter from the sun.

When Ecthelion had placed the blanket on the ground, Glorfindel lowered the woman onto it. Gently he brushed a strand of her long golden hair out of her face.

Even though her face was smeared with dirt and blood, she looked exceptionally fair and Glorfindel was instantly taken with her appearance. She was tall and lean, her body well-proportioned and even for an elf she could only be described as exceptionally fair. For some indefinable reason he felt a strong urge to protect her.

Ecthelion looked from his friend to the unconscious woman with a frown.

“Glorfindel, I will fetch some water….Glorfindel?”

“Yes, yes,” was the irritated answer. The warrior´s eyes were still fixed on the woman’s face. Ecthelion only shook his head and got up.

When he returned, Glorfindel had combed the she- elf’s hair with his fingers and had arranged her clothing so it seemed that she was only sleeping. The dark haired warrior only raised an eyebrow. Their friendship had survived many love affairs, but such a strong reaction he had never witnessed before and the woman was not even awake!

Wordlessly, he handed the golden-haired elf his water skin and Glorfindel carefully dripped some of the liquid on the woman’s lips. First the drops ran down her chin. Suddenly her eyelids begun to flutter and slowly she opened her eyes.

Seeing to strange male elves hovering over her, she jerked upright and away from Glorfindel´s steadying hand.

“Easy,” Glorfindel said softly. “You have been unconscious. Obviously you hit your head when the wagon tipped.”

The woman brought her fingers to the prominent bump on her forehead and looked around in the direction of the wagon. She instantly regretted this quick movement and moaned in pain.

Glorfindel was at her side when her body begun to sway and steadied her with a loose arm around her shoulders.

She rested her head in both her hands.

“Something spooked the horse. I just wanted to get down from the wagon. It tipped and I must have…..” she stopped not really sure what happened. Suddenly she looked up first at Glorfindel and then at Ecthelion.

“I’m sorry, I have been rude, my Lords. I’m Elvëa. I thank you for helping me.”

“Only Glorfindel,” the golden haired elf replied with a laugh.

“Ecthelion,” the raven haired ellon offered quickly while bowing low to the woman. “You are very welcome. May we escort you back to the city? Someone may be concerned already……”

Now the she-elf smiled. “You may,” she answered while accepting the helping hand of Glorfindel. She said nothing further. Glorfindel hid a smile of his own. With admiration, he registered that Elvëa was nearly as tall as he. Even taller than most of his friends. It was very nice to be nearly at eye level with her.

She had beautiful green eyes with golden flecks around the centre. He had to blink not to stare. The moment only lasted for a second however, yet he felt a strange feeling in his gut.

Ethelion had meanwhile tethered his friend’s horse to the wagon. Fortunately, nothing had been broken when the wagon had tipped. Suspecting that Elvëa was still unsteady on her feet, Glorfindel was one step behind her when she climbed back into the wagon.

Glorfindel placed her two bags back on the platform and took a seat to her right.

She looked at the fair haired elf with annoyance.

“I’m perfectly able to drive the wagon, my Lord,” she said while grasping the reins.

With a gentle jerk Glorfindel manoeuvred the reins out of her reach.

“Of that I’m sure, my Lady,” he answered with a smug smile. With a low whistle and a twinkle toward the waiting Ecthelion, Gorfindel manoeuvred the wagon smoothly away from the lake and back onto the path.

Ethelion rolled his eyes and sighed.

Glorfindel was in love. Valar help us.

To be continued……………………

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List