Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ruin  by Laikwalâssê

Ruin

Chapter 12:  bitter truth

Elrond jerked his head up when he heard a moan. He must have dozed off while keeping watch over his patient. For three days now, Glorfindel had been unconscious, but finally he seemed to awaken.

The healer let out his breath and dragged his chair closer. Patiently he waited until the warrior finally opened his eyes.

“Elrond what happened?” the warrior rasped out, his face contorting in pain while trying to rise.

Quickly Elrond placed hand on the wounded elf’s shoulder.

“Glorfindel, you must not move too much. The wound can still re-open.”

With a sigh, the warrior sank back on his pillow.

“Where’s Elvëa?” he asked.

Elrond raised an eyebrow. Obliviously, Glorfindel was unaware what had happened three nights ago. However, a deep frown had appeared on the warrior´s face.

“What do you know?” Elrond asked carefully while studying the warrior intently.

The frown on the Troop Commander’s face deepened and his breathing increased.

Not sure if the warrior could not or did not want to remember, Elrond leaned forward. He was not sure if the elf was yet strong enough to endure the truth. Coming to a decision, the Elf-lord took a deep breath.

“Glorfindel, Elvëa attacked you two nights ago. I do not yet know what happened to her or what had caused this reaction, but it was a near thing that you survived……”

Opening his eyes in shock, Glorfindel tried to rise again.

“No!” he cried while still struggling to sit up.

Again restricting the warrior a second time, Elrond sighed.

“Glorfindel, I do not know if she has lost her mind or is now under control of someone else, but she came to your room with the intention to kill.”

Glorfindel had finally relented and sunk back on his pillow.

“I cannot believe you, why should she want to kill me….?” the warrior asked his voice a near whisper.

“I have not yet spoken with her, but she has also injured Erestor…..”

“Elrond please leave me alone,” Glorfindel said softly, turning his face away.

“Glorfindel……”

“…please, Elrond, go!”

Taking a deep breath the healer rose and left the room. He would come back later.

 

 

………………………………..

 

Elrond stepped down the stairs leading into the cellar of the Last Homely House and into the wing housing the cells.

For decades, these cells had been unoccupied and used as storerooms.

The healer had never thought it possible that he would have need of one of the cells before he would depart these shores. After capturing Elvëa, Elrond had seen no other option then to secure the woman here. She had no longer reacted to any attempt at reason. She had even injured two more guards before she could be restrained.

Tinár, his chief healer had been unable to treat her. She was hysterical and non compliant. While being busy treating Erestor and Glorfindel the Elf-lord had not been able to spare the time to visit the woman. Now, however, he wanted to talk to her himself.

He rounded a corner and gave a signal to the guard standing watch. With two further strides, he stepped at the bars of the cell, feeling the burning gaze of the guard in his back.

Elvëa was sitting on a simple wooden bench, her back resting on the wall behind, her eyes closed.

Elrond was again shocked at the haggard state of the woman and again he wondered how this elf could even rise, even less be able to run away and put up a fight. Her whole body was covered with bruises and cuts. Her long golden hair was dirty and hanging down in lifeless threads.

Before Elrond could even utter one word, she had sprung up and grabbed a handful of the Elf-lord’s robe with her hand stretched through the bars.

The guard had sprung forward but Elrond stopped him with a raised hand. He pried the cramped fingers loose and shoved the woman back.

She stumbled backwards but her eyes sparkled darkly.

“I will kill you and all the others. You will not stop me, elf,” she cried her voice breaking.

Elrond’s intention to inquire what had happened to her had instantly evaporated into thin air. The report from the guards had not been exaggerated then. Elvëa had lost her mind or some evil had occupied her soul.

She was pacing the cell, snarling and hissing, from time to time coming to the bars and hammering her hands against them.

Elrond shook his head and turned. His initial fears had come true. Elvëa was a threat to his valley and the elves he had sworn to protect. If it had been present from the beginning or if something had taken control over her only lately did not matter.

This woman could never be transformed into the elf Glorfindel had seen or hoped to find in her.

When Elrond had again reached the top stairs, he had given orders to intensify the observation of the woman. If there were some evil magic the Istari had placed in this elf then he would take no chances.

First he had to consult with his councillors. The threat had to be removed from his valley.

 

………………………………

“Master Elrond, I need your assistance.”

Elrond sighed and rose. Tinár had already turned on his heels and left the healer’s study. Elrond had not to ask why his assistant healer was in need of his help.

When he neared Glorfindel’s sickroom the irritation in his chief healer’s voice was quite clear to hear.

Quickly, Elrond stepped into the room after motioning his colleague that he would take over.

Glorfindel was agitatedly debating with a member of Elrond’s staff that he was quite able to rise and was in no need of help with his dressing.

“Glorfindel stop this. Calan, please leave us alone.”

The helper quickly left the room while the warrior turned with an incredulous expression on his face.

“Elrond, your healers will not allow me to leave my bed. I’m perfectly able…….”

“No, you are not and they only follow my orders,” Elrond retorted with a much too controlled voice.

“Three days ago I had to use all my skills to save your life. You are not in a condition to rise, let alone walk around.”

The healer´s eyes had narrowed. His anger was palpable.

Clad only in his leggings the warrior sank back on his bed.

“Elrond, I want to see Elvëa. I can still not believe that she has tried to kill me,” the warrior said, his expression still defiant.

“The wound in your abdomen should be evidence enough,” Elrond answered. The healer took a deep breath. Why could he not control his irritation?

Seeing that the warrior had lowered his gaze Elrond sat beside him on the mattress.

“Glorfindel, something drastic has happened to Elvëa. She is no longer a woman; I even doubt she is an elf anymore. Something dark and sinister is speaking from within her. Her being has been twisted beyond recognition.”

Elrond closed his eyes briefly. Three times, he had tried to get in contact with what was once the lost soul they had rescued from Ortanc. Three times, he had failed. He had not even had a chance to speak a few words.

Elvëa had every time snarled and hissed at him and had it not been for the bars between them he was sure she would attack without warning.

Glorfindel was not strong enough to experience this, at least not yet.

“Elrond, I have to see for myself,” the warrior said with a pleading voice. “She must be out of her mind with fear,” he added his eyes still focussed on his lap.

“I assure you she is not. Give it one more day and then I will accompany you,” Elrond suggested and the warrior only nodded.

Elrond sighed and rose. One fight won but the war was still looming ahead.

 

To be continued………………………

 

 

      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List