Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ruin  by Laikwalâssê

Ruin

A/N:

I´m so sorry for the long delay, but real time has stolen all my time.....

Chapter 14: a final farewell

Elrond had sworn to himself that he would not look back, yet he could not resist the temptation.

After letting his gaze wander over the long row of wagons, riders and travellers on foot, he turned and looked for a last time at the house he had built.

Elrond sighed. He knew that the parting would be hard for him. So much happiness as well as sorrow had happened under this roof. To leave all of his children behind was unbearable, yet to know that his long-time companion, friend, and mentor would also not leave these shores with him made it even more painful. Even the impending reunion with his beloved could not dampen the sorrow in his heart.

Since Glorfindel had announced that he would not accompany the elves leaving Imladris, Elrond had once more tried to reason with the warrior with the same result. Glorfindel would stay in Middle earth, the real reason behind this was still unclear to Elrond.

While withdrawing even more into himself, during the last week Glorfindel had vanished from the valley entirely. Until today, he had not shown up again. Even if still hoping that he would reconsider at the last moment Elrond had been worried. He only hoped that the warrior needed more time to come to terms and that nothing had happened to his friend.

The episode with Elvëa had afflicted the warrior even more than Elrond had expected. Glorfindel had gone through so many ups and downs with him and his family in the past, but never had he been so involved on a personal level as with Elvëa. It did not matter that Elvëa most likely was only an apparition of the Istari – Glorfindel had believed her real and was all the more so shocked that he had lost her again.

Finally, Elrond gave the signal for the departure. The row of wagons and riders began to move and this time the Elf-lord did not look back. He could delay the egress not one minute longer.

He rode in the middle of the baggage with no indication that he was the leader of these elves. By leaving these shores, he would give up all entitlements of being an Elf-lord, his ring had lost its great power since the destruction of the one ring anyway. To break the spell of the elf-woman, it had barely sufficed, but he felt the continued fading of the once powerful instrument from day to day.

The Elf-lord´s twin sons had agreed to meet their father at the harbour for the final farewell, yet after a note from Erestor they had decided to make the trip to the Grey Havens with their father and therefor had shown up yesterday.

Elrond had been irritated at this decision and even if the healer had assured them that he was alright, Elladan and Elrohir knew that he was not. Bad enough that Glorfindel would not come, but that he would not even say farewell was worst. The twins had many nights searched the lands around their home to find a trace of their once time mentor, but the ancient elf remained missing. They knew that if Glorfindel did not want to be found they would not find him.

Even though there was much singing and chatting among the group the atmosphere around Elrond felt depressed. When the Elf-lord let out a moan and cringed over his horse´s neck, Elladan swore under his breath.

“Father!” Elrohir cried while coming alongside. Elladan closed the gap at the other side. The Elf-lord however had already straightened and looked annoyed.

“I am well,” he said with an irritated undertone and Elrohir refrained from inquiring further, knowing that would only kindle his sire´s ire further. He directed a concerned gaze at his brother. Elladan´s stormy grey eyes narrowed. It was well into the afternoon and so he called for a halt.

“We will make camp for the night,” he announced with authority and left no room for argument. The guards riding on the outskirts of the group dismounted and vanished into the trees to begin the night watch.

Elladan ignored the displeased look of his father and left to organize the preparation of their evening meal. He would leave the talking to his brother. He was better at that anyway.

 

………………………………………………..

Elrond, dozing at the base of a tree, jerked upright. He had heard something. With a quick look at the night sky, he judged that it was well past midnight.

They had long left the lands around Imladris, had travelled along the East-west road, skirted Bree and the Shire after traversing through the Old Forest. Now they crossed the land of Arthedain and had now made camp at the foot of the hills of Far Downs.

Elrond had slowly risen and listened again. Had his senses fooled him or was there only a nocturnal animal scurrying between the trees? He looked at his youngest son, but Elrohir was staring into the fames of the campfire, his eyes half closed.

At that moment, Elrond felt a presence behind him, but it was already too late to react. Strong arms had circled him and he felt warm breath and heard a whisper in his ear:

“Your guards are not very attentive. You and the others at the camp are easy prey.”

Elrond let out his breath after recognizing the voice.

“I´m sure my guards have already detected who is stalking through the night and refrained from intervening.”

Glofindel released the other Elf-lord and snorted. He waited until his friend had turned around. He searched the healer´s eyes because he had not missed the irritated tone in the other´s voice. He frowned at the blank expression on Elrond´s face.

Elrohir who had sprung up after the initial word exchange gazed uneasily between his father and his mentor. He was not sure what to make of this situation. The initial joy of seeing Glorfindel had given way to worry. His father´s reaction was awkward. A low whistle, however let him leave the clearing. The brothers vanished into the trees as seemed to have all the other elves.

Elrond motioned for the warrior to follow him to the campfire. Glorfindel briefly closed his eyes but finally sat opposite his Lord on a fallen log. For a long time silence reigned between the friends. Elrond finally raised his head.

“Where have you been, Glorfindel?”

Where Glorfindel had expected displeasure, or even anger, he only heard sorrow and disappointment in the other´s voice. He raised an eyebrow. He was the one with the cause for sorrow. He had lost all that was dear to him. He was not willing to ask for …..

Elrond´s eyes narrowed and Glorfindel´s eyes flew open. He had not spoken aloud, but his thoughts stood between them as if he had just done that.

And now Glorfindel was able to get a glimpse into his friend’s mind. And he shrank back. Elrond had twice saved his life of late, he had day and night tried to bring Elvëa back from the brink of death had poured healing energy into her emaciated body until total exhaustion overcame him. He had even allowed her into his valley against better judgement. He had always counselled caution with the mysterious woman.

Only now Glorfindel recognized what the unexpected appearance of Elvëa had cost. He lowered his head and took a shuddering breath.

“Elrond, I´m…….”

He stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He had not even realised when the other Elf-lord had moved beside him.

He raised his head and looked into the familiar grey eyes of Earendil´s son.

“I´m glad you have come,” Elrond said softly, still maintaining the physical contact.

“Will you now come with us?”

Glorfindel smiled. How could he have lost touch with these elves that were to him the same as family – no, being family?

He swallowed when suddenly a depressing weight was taken from his shoulders. He would always miss Elvëa, yet he had lost her a long time ago and learned to live with that. The impact of her reappearance was already fading.

When the first harbinger of the new day glittered through the trees, he raised his face into the sky with a contented smile on his face. He knew whom he had to thank for this emotional change.

Elrond sighed. He was well aware what was going on in the warrior´s mind and he was more than glad.

“Come,” he said softly.

“We have still a long way ahead and who knows something that is lost on these shores may be found again on other shores.”

Glorfindel whirled around. His heart begun to pound. Soon they would reach the Blessed realm and maybe, only maybe………

He quickly crossed the distance to the already leaving Elf-lord.

“Come my friend, we have already lost much time. Let us be on our way.”

Elrond only raised an eyebrow. Then he closed his eyes and directed his senses westwards.

´I´m on my way, beloved. Maybe you can invite someone else to greet us?´

 

`I´m awaiting you two and I´m sure something can be arranged. Please hurry, beloved!`

 

The end.

A/N:

this is for you, Fiondil. I´m still missing you terribly.....     





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List