Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

TolkienScribe's Scribblings  by TolkienScribe

Glorfindel

"Glorfindel was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice was like music; on his brow sat wisdom and in his hand was strength."

"And Elves, sir! Elves here and Elves there! Some like kings, terrible and splendid; and some as merry as children…"

(Lord of the Rings; the Fellowship of the King)

(Chapter: Many Meetings)

Glorfindel glowered at the feline lounging in the middle of his bed.

"Get off," he told it.

But the cat considered him unworthy of her attention. Her legs were tucked beneath her, the ash grey fur puffing out to ward off the cold of newly arrived winter. Fire blazed in the fireplace, giving the room warmth. No doubt one of his students started the fire in his room. It was customary. It was also customary for the cat to go wherever she found warmth, and wherever suited her wants. Glorfindel sighed and shook his head, admitting defeat, and added more wood to the fire.

Estel was the one to name her "Lith" for her fur. Kept more for amusement than for any real purpose, she spent her days like a queen would. She gave birth to three kittens that were old enough to open their eyes. Glorfindel learnt to keep his door and windows closed to prevent their entry. This meant that either the student who started his fire was foolish enough to leave his door open or there was a culprit on the loose. Suddenly he remembered his door was shut tight when he came to his room. He went and checked the windows. Also closed. That meant he had a culprit to find. And he knew just who it was.

He heard murmurs in the corridor and stepped outside. Erestor and Estel both stood in the corridor, holding steaming mugs in their hands. Glorfindel marched up and rapped the thirteen-year-old with his knuckles on the crown of his head. Estel yelped in pain and rubbed his head.

"You! You are the reason why I have a cat in my bedchamber."

Erestor chuckled into his mug and took a sip. Estel did not look the least repentant. He had yet to see the sterner side of Glorfindel. "Your room was the warmest," the boy said. He was grinning. "I thought it be best."

"Where are the kittens?" Glorfindel said.

"With her, I expect," Erestor said before Estel could answer. "They never leave their mother's side, except if the cook forgets to put the milk out of their reach." His old-time friend raised a brow. "And they are probably hiding in nooks and crannies. Have a good time looking for them."

Glorfindel only shook his head. They lingered in the corridor for a while longer, chatting leisurely. Erestor surrendered his mug when he drank half of it and Glorfindel finished the rest. They parted afterwards for the night. When Glorfindel entered the room, it was cosy with warmth and Lith lay outstretched in front of the fire. He took off his boots and placed them beside his fur-trimmed boots by the door…

Except that he didn't own fur-trimmed boots.

With one hand, he scooped into one of the boots and fished out a kitten by the scruff of its neck. He did the same with the other hand and pulled out another kitten. Both of them stared at him with wide, innocent eyes. Leftover fur stuck to the edges of his boots. He raised one of the miscreants close to his face.

"Simple-minded fur-ball," he said.

The kitten licked the tip of his nose with a tiny pink tongue as the third kitten tried to play with his toes.


Author's Note:

-Inspired by:

1. Sam's words of Elves merry as children.

2. Glorfindel's description marking him a mix of a seasoned warrior with the humour of a fresh sergeant.

-Estel described slightly younger mind than his age, owing to Elven blood mixed in his mortal bloodlines.

-I doubt Imladris had an issue of rats. Thus cats are more likely kept for companionship.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List