Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

TolkienScribe's Scribblings  by TolkienScribe

Arwen

"Then she lifted from her lap a great stone of a clear green, set in a silver brooch that was wrought in the likeness of an eagle with outspread wings; and as she held it up the gem flashed like the sun shining through the leaves of spring."

(Fellowship of the Ring: Farewell to Lórien)

"For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt."

(Unfinished Tales: History of Galadriel and Celeborn)

She turned the Elessar between her fingers, marvelling the way it caught the sunlight. She had unpinned the brooch from Aragorn's cloak, where he wore it always, even to battle. The years left the silver wings unstained, and the gem itself was bright when it caught the flashing light. It was what gave Aragorn his name he took as a king. In Westron, the men simply called it 'Elfstone'.

She raised her head. Aragorn sat behind his desk across the room, with papers littered across the surface. He was too deep in thought to pay her attention. His black hair was now snow white. His face was wrinkled in both sorrow and joy. His beard was white and slightly longer than usual. The crown rested upon his head. He would not leave her side for many years to come. In that, she was confident. But the years were passing by, and time was now short. She treasured each day, made memories by the hour.

She remembered the legends surrounding the Elfstones. They were green stones with the light of the sun trapped within it. The Noldor loved them dearly. They granted the power of healing to their bearers. It was also said that the one who looked through an Elfstone saw withered things young and whole.

She held up the brooch and looked through. Her beloved was now surrounded by green-golden light, but his hair and beard was dark and his skin smooth. He was just the way she first saw him, when she heard his voice singing the song of Tinúviel and he called for her by that name. He was young and handsome; just like she remembered him. But her love was not based on his looks and it did not diminish over the years.

Sensing his wife's eyes upon him, Aragorn looked up. But Arwen was looking outside the window with tears in her eyes and a soft smile on her face. The Elfstone lay on her lap.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List