Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Long and Weary Way: Appendices  by Canafinwe

Appendix F: The Beorning Family Chronicle

The large and lively family of Grimbeorn son of Beorn can at times be difficult to keep straight in one's head! Formatting limitations prevent the posting of a proper family tree, and so in place there is this brief chronicle of the great Skin-changer's descendants. The ages in parenthesis are those of each family member at the time of Aragorn's visit to the lodge in March 3017, when he found succour on his eastward journey for two blessed nights


Eira (68) wife of Grimbeorn (74) bore:

Baldbeorn (42): A sombre and wise man, who thinks much and says little. He is the one in his generation with the greatest talent for baking his grandsire's famed honey-cakes.

Randbeorn (41): Jolly and swift to laugh, Randbeorn is gifted in the care of horses.

Heidra (33): The only daughter of Eira and Grimbeorn, Heidra is also the only one of Grimbeorn's children to dwell in the Town at the Carrock. Her dower gift from her parents financed the bakery she and Kvigir operate.

Sigbeorn (24): The youngest and most playful of the four, Sigbeorn is charmingly impudent and not especially observant. He is unwed.


The children by marriage of Grimbeorn and Eira are:

Freya (39) wife of Baldbeorn: Courageous and at times outspoken, Freya is tall and very firm in her opinions. Her authority in the kitchen is second only to Eira's.

Clothilde (34), wife of Randbeorn: Quiet and capable, Clothilde is badly frightened by Gollum's attempt to reach for Svala. She is skilled in the art of pleasant conversation.

Kvigir (38) husband of Heidra: A poverty-stricken youth and a challenging courtship laid the foundation for a remarkably stable life. Fiercely loyal to his people, Kvigir is a good-hearted man but very vulnerable to judging by appearances.


Freya wife of Baldbeorn bore:

Una (17): Intelligent, capable and something of a flirt, Una has begun her apprenticeship under her grandmother, Eira. She is learning the healing arts and shows great promise.

Urdbeorn (16): Patient and good-natured, Urdbeorn is said to tend both his flocks with equal care: the family's fine sheep, and the younger children of the household.

Ufrún (13): A quiet middle child of a busy brood, Ufrún is an expert in the art of coddling eggs.

Halla (8): Somewhat supercilious, as an eight-year-old should be, Halla sings in her sleep.

Delbeorn (5): Usually found in the company of Otkala, Delbeorn is outspoken and rather dramatic.

Inga (unborn): Inga was born one week before Aragorn's return to the house in the company of Gandalf the Grey. She was small at birth, dwarfed by her father's strong hands.


Clothilde wife of Randbeorn bore:

Harlbeorn (12): Having recently 'taken his chair' and joined the adult section of the family board, Harlbeorn offers his place to Sigbeorn out of unprompted courtesy. He is one of the quieter children in the household, and is the one most intrigued by the mending of Aragorn's boots.

Torbeorn (8): A lofty dreamer, Torbeorn is hungry for adventure and intends to grow up to be a spider-slayer. He also has a lively interest in beekeeping.

Otkala (5): Otkala is very frank, and fully aware of her own charm. She is most often seen with Delbeorn.

Svala (6 months): Svala is adventurous and curious. She has lately learned to crawl.


Heidra wife of Kvigir bore:

Katrín (7): Timid and easily frightened, Katrín fancies herself one of the older children: she more often seeks the company of Halla and Ufrún than Dryffa, Delbeorn and Otkala.

Dryffa (6): Dryffa has the courage and confidence of her mother's kindred. When Gollum bares his teeth, she responds by sticking out her tongue at him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List