Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

S

The Sundering Sea has ever separated the Undying Lands of Aman, which are sacred to the Powers who dwell there, from the Mortal Lands of Middle Earth.  Still, until the end of the Second Age of the Sun skilled and seasoned sailors could sail their ships close enough to look upon the shores of the Enchanted Isles and to see the reflected glint of Sun and stars from the Tower of Avallonë on Tol Eressëa.

That stopped with the sailing of the ships of Ar-Pharazôn from the Star Isle of Númenor for the shores of Aman.  He believed that if he and his army set foot upon those shores that they could steal what they believed were the secrets of immortality from the Powers and the Elves who dwelt there, shunning the idea that it was a fatal mistake for a mortal to step ashore, and that the life of each would be suddenly shortened from what he would have known had he stayed safely at home.

Forewarned, the Faithful had sailed from ports on the east side of the island, standing offshore until they saw the promised destruction of their home.  Suddenly they were blown eastward by the ensuing storm, and a great wave slammed its weight upon the Star Isle until it slid beneath the waves.  Middle Earth was now fully sundered from Aman, and became a sphere, or so we are told.  And now only ships sailed by Elves may find the Straight Path to the Undying Lands.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List