Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Old Took's Faunts  by Kaylee Arafinwiel

27 Wedmath, SR 1247

“Just where are you off to this time, Gosling?” Isengrim put his book aside and trotted after his littlest brother. Isengrim had just helped him hand out his first gifts – including, to his great amusement, a goose egg to Grandmother Sapphire. But oh, if it wasn’t exasperating chasing after Hildifons! He had begun to run almost ere he crawled, the most mobile of all Isen’s siblings. Still, his run had an oddly charming waddle to it; like a baby goose! Hence the nickname – for no one would call him “Hildi”. Maybe “Trotter” would do as well, Isengrim thought idly, but “Gosling” had stuck.

“Off t’ find my pwesents!” Hildifons chirped, for he knew he was the byrding and would be receiving gifts, too.

“Not until after second breakfast, Gosling my lad!” Isengrim wasn’t that much older than Hildifons – only eighteen years old, he was still a child himself – but with so many brothers already, he felt practically grown up, and his imitation of their Papa was rather striking. “You know what Papa and Mama said!”

Hildifons turned to him with a pout and puppyish eyes that would sway nearly anyone. “Pwease, Isen?”

“No! You sit right down here,” Isengrim said firmly, “Mama and Mari put me in charge of you; and you’re not to go running about, you know Grandfather needs rest and quiet.”

Hildifons sobered a little, and Isengrim thought he’d gotten through to the faunt; but the moment he turned to speak to Isum about lessons, their little Gosling was off like a shot. Isen and Isum exchanged glances, and groaned in tandem. Thank goodness Mari still had Hilly and Ducky under control! Together, the brothers set off after their wayward sibling...

They caught up with him outside in the gardens, just in time to see him run smack into...a Big Person! Gasping, the lads backed up a step or two. He was a most intimidating personage, twice as tall as Grandfather, with eyebrows that stuck out alarmingly from below the brim of his hat, and a sweeping grey beard which Gosling was trying to use as a rope-ladder! The Big Person had a pipe between his teeth and took a couple of puffs on it before saying anything, looking down at the lads sternly.

“So! You must be Gerontius’ lads,” he said finally. “Good morning! And this must be the youngest, Hildifons is it?”

“Yes sir,” Isengrim said nervously, “I am Isengrim Took and this is my brother Isumbras; and that is Hildifons, who has become a faunt today. We are the sons of Gerontius and grandsons of Thain Fortinbras, at your service, sir.”

“Well, I shall certainly ask for your service if and when I need it, my lads,” the Big Person replied. “As it happens, I do; I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! Do me a kindness and remove your brother from my beard, then please let your father know I have arrived!”

 

Isengrim quickly extracted Hildifons, while Isumbras ran to fetch Gerontius. Their grandfather was ailing, and Gerontius now rarely left his father’s bedside; but he would surely leave it for Gandalf!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List