Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Wingfoot  by quodamat

This is a revised version of a story originally submitted as a one-shot on Teitho, where it was voted first place for the "Five Ingredients II" contest. The five ingredients to be included in the story were (1) a humorous friendship moment, (2) spilled blood, (3) stars, (4) a misplaced book, and (5) a flying creature. In addition to the tagged characters, the story features Elfwine, Elboron, and four younger siblings of my own invention: Théodwyn and Leoflic (younger children of Éomer and Lothíriel), and Faelivrin and Tungol (younger children of Faramir and Éowyn).

I have no desire to claim ownership or profit from this story. My only intention is to honour Prof. Tolkien's work and the community of imagination it has inspired.
 

*   *   *

It was, their parents would reflect later that evening, just the kind of thing one should expect when six clever and vigorous youngsters gathered during the long summer of a peaceful year. The King of Rohan, having business in Gondor, had brought his family to visit the house of his sister and her lord, much to the delight of all. There in the midst of Ithilien, far from courts and councils and walls of stone, it was only right that young imaginations should take flight along paths unknown. And if a few small mishaps occurred along the way—well, their nations had spent many years and countless lives in pursuit of a world where children would know mere mishaps rather than tragedies. And so, when King Elessar of Gondor toasted the adventurous children of his steward and his brother king, the listening men and women felt the weight of the moment.

The children, on the other hand, were still debating whether a ship, a dog, or a horse would win a race among the stars.

They'd been at it, more or less, since early afternoon.

 





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List