Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Chapter 15:  picking up the pieces

Elrond released the mayor by letting the knife fall from his numb fingers. He turned at full speed whilst pushing the man away, even if unsure that he would be able to rescue his son. The thick knot – if done correctly – would instantly break the culprit´s neck.

He would never forget in all eternity the mental outcry of his son. Utmost panic at imminent death.

Like Elladan he knew he would never have time to reach the already falling body. However, his heart nearly missed a beat when the rope went taut with the weight yet, the next second it snapped, cut through by a precisely fired arrow.

Elrond, already standing over the open trapdoor, had seen his son plunge down. The healer grimaced at the hard impact, for the young elf was unable to prevent the sudden fall as he was blindfolded, with his hands still bound behind his back.

Elrond´s heart raced. Who had fired the arrow?

Quickly looking back to where he had seen Elrohir standing, he realized he had to decide. He could not rescue both of his sons. Even if he prayed to every Valar listening, Elrohir could well be dead by now.

A commotion behind him caused him to whirl around. He looked at the judge´s rage-contorted face, the raised knife already descending. Elrond ducked, but the blow never landed; with a gurgling sound the man fell to the platform with an arrow protruding from his back. Elrond´s head jerked up, yet again he could not make out the archer.

The healer did not care. He jumped down through the trapdoor and landed only inches next to his squirming son. Relieved, he saw that Glorfindel was already trying to take away the tightened sling. Even if the rope was cut, the sling was still closely wrapped around the twin´s neck cutting off his airflow.

Elladan wriggled violently, making it hard for Glorfindel to undo the taut rope.

“Hold still”, Glorfindel grunted, swearing loudly when the rope did not move one fraction.

The warrior took out his small belt knife.

“No!” Elrond cried while kneeling, fearing the knife would cut not only the rope.

Glorfindel did not heed the healer´s cry. Within a second, he had cut the rope away leaving only a small incision in the skin. Elladan coughed and inhaled gaspingly.

Elrond instantly examined his child´s neck, blowing out his breath in relief when he could detect no damage even though Elladan was still gulping air into his deprived lungs.

He placed a hand on the young elf´s back and rubbed in gentle cycles to encourage the muscles to relax.

Even if desperately wanting to, he did not hug to comfort Elladan, knowing that his son needed space to draw breath and get his panic under control.

Glorfindel had sunk back on his heels, his breathing nearly as agitated as the older twin.

“Thank you.” Elrond said softly.

When Elladan had calmed down, Elrond transferred the shaking body of his son to the warrior.

“I have to look after Elrohir.”

Taking Elladan into a tight hug and stroking his back Glorfindel only nodded.

When Elrond rose, his foot nudged the arrow, which had cut the rope and fallen through the trap door. The fletching was very familiar to him.

Glorfindel had followed the healer´s gaze and nodded knowingly; even a small smile appeared on his face.

Elrond ran out from under the gibbet for only now the world around him had begun to exist again.

He had neither eyes, nor stomach, for the crying and running townspeople. His eyes were fixed toward the spot where he had last seen Elrohir. Shoving aside men in his path, he looked frantically around. No sign of his son but, thankfully, no body.

“Master Elrond!”

The healer whirled around and saw Haldir, Marchwarden of Lothlorien, standing next to a great pillar.

He ran over and rounded the pillar. To his great joy, his son was sitting with his head leaning back against the wall.

“Elrohir,” he cried, already kneeling next to the younger twin. Elrohir instantly hugged his father.

“Ada, Haldir has saved my life,” he spoke with a tear-drowned voice into his father´s shoulder.

Elrond nodded, overwhelmed. He had enough imagination to guess what had happened.

Elrond inhaled the scent of his child deeply. Not trusting his voice right then, he directed a thankful gaze at the fair-haired elf standing guard. Haldir smiled and inclined his head in understanding.

When Elrohir had calmed down, he looked at his father.

“Elladan?”

Elrond took a deep breath.

“He´s alive thanks to a formidable bowman.”

Elrohir looked questioningly at his father. He turned when his father looked up.

“Always at your service, my Lord.”

Elrohir´s eyes went wide.

“Dearada!”

The younger twin had sprung up and hugged the Elf-Lord from Lothlorien.

Elrond rose also.

“I´m deeply in your depth,” he said looking first at Haldir and then at Celeborn.

“I owe you the lives of my sons. Hannon le.”

“You are welcome,” Celeborn retorted. “Now let us fetch Elladan and leave this dreadful place.”

Elrond could only agree. When they emerged through the archway, the healer recognized warriors from Lothlorien stationed at strategic positions all around the courtyard.

Apart from a few very curious spectators, the place was deserted now. Most of the townspeople had fled from the still drawn bows.

Elrond looked at the platform. The body of the dead judge had vanished, as had that of the mayor. He shrugged. Right now, he did not care about their fates.

Suddenly Elrohir began to run. Elrond recognized Elladan supported by Glorfindel coming out under the gibbet. The brothers hugged each other, sinking to their knees. The elves stopped to grant the youngsters this moment.

Elrond scanned his sons’ feas. He would have to do much healing to remedy the deeply shaken minds.

When he felt a hand on his shoulder, he looked at his father-in-law´s ice blue eyes.

“Time will tell.”

Elrond nodded. Fortunately, time they had plenty.

Hugging each of his sons, the three peredhils, followed by the entourage from Lothlorien, left the marketplace without a backward glance.

The warriors secured the retreat of the elves.

 

…………………………………..

Elrond silently closed the door to the sleeping chamber. All three of his children were sleeping now. He had made sure that Arwen and his sons would sleep at least a whole day without any disturbing dreams.

The reunion of the siblings had been tearful, joyous and …disturbing. Arwen’s initial joy had quickly descended into a fully-fledged depression after she had learned what fate had nearly befallen her brothers on her behalf.

The healer did see now less chance to call his daughter back from fading.

Celebrían had just stopped crying after meeting her parents. On an emotional level, she had witnessed how her sons nearly died. Her mother had quietly and factually filled her blank spaces, guiding her daughter through her anguish.

Glorfindel had told Celeborn how this whole episode had come to pass, while the silver-haired elf had redressed the warrior´s shoulder wound, again bleeding after the skirmish in the courtyard.

Erestor and Haldir shared a quiet glass of wine digesting the details Glorfindel told the Lothlorien elf. In all the chaos, Erestor even found the time to arrange a brief meeting with Galador of the dunedain.

He explained to a very upset chieftain why neither Master Elrond nor the twins had showed up for the appointed meeting. Galador was shocked to learn the reason and sent Erestor off with his best wishes for the badly treated family. Erestor promised to arrange for an urgent meeting to be held at Imladris to discuss matters of state, and Galador agreed gladly.

After sending his children into a deep healing sleep and emerging from the bedroom, Elrond let himself sink into a cushioned chair, gratefully accepting a cup of tea from Erestor. He felt worn out.

Celebrían came over and perched on the armrest of her husband´s chair.

The healer did not open his eyes yet took a deep breath.

“Elrond, please look at me.”

The healer opened his eyes quickly on hearing the anguish in his wife´s voice. He was not sure if he had the strength right now to deal with another reprimand from her.

However, he raised his upper body when tears were again falling.

He pulled his wife into his lap and tugged her head under his chin.

“Elrond I´m sorry. I should have supported you, not accused you of…of…” her words were drowned out by more tears.

Celeborn looked at his wife significantly. Galadriel´s face was unreadable.

“Hush,” Elrond said softly while stroking his wife´s long tresses. “We are all worn out.”

Celebrian only nodded, yet the tears did not want to stop.

“But what about Arwen. We will lose her to darkness. I can feel it.”

Elrond closed his eyes. Right now, he did not see himself that his little daughter would recover enough to pull away from the path of fading. She was too young to come to terms with what had happened to her.

“There is only one option left.”

All male elves in the room looked at the Lady of light.

Celeborn, knowing what his wife would suggest, took a deep breath, Erestor raised an eyebrow, while Haldir looked bewildered.

Glorfindel flexed his bandaged shoulder. “And what option would that be, my Lady?”

His tone clearly indicated that he also knew what the daughter of Finarfin would propose.

“To erase her memory.”

Elrond made it a statement and rose. Celebrían was already standing staring at her mother.

“I´m not sure if this is the best course of action.” Elrond looked doubtful.

Erestor inhaled sharply. He had never heard of such an option. He did not doubt that the wife of Celeborn did have the power for such a procedure, yet would it bring Arwen back from the abyss?

“It will be the only option,” Galadriel stated. “Elrond, if you want your daughter back healthy again, we have to erase her memory and replace it with something more…acceptable.”

Elrond took a deep breath.

“There is much at stake and, furthermore, we all will ever have to guard our emotions closely. This will hardly work.”

Celeborn knew what his son-in-law was speaking of. Galadriel would have to use her ring for the process and you never knew how many witnessing eyes were lurking.

On the other hand, Arwen was very smart and would soon feel that all involved were withholding something from her. A careless word, or an unguarded mind, would sooner than later give their secret away.

“I know this,” Galadriel said, her voice holding a tinge of irritation.

“I will not erase the whole incident, only the raping part. She will be shaken enough with the attack but hopefully not as bad as fading.”

Elrond nodded.

“That may work, yet how will we explain to her why the representatives reacted as they did. I do not understand it myself.”

Erestor cleared his throat.

“Maybe I can shed some light on this. I have done some investigation.”

Elrond narrowed his eyes. “You know what grudge this mayor has against us…..me?”

Erestor licked his lips. “I think it is more than a grudge. He accuses you of being responsible for the death of his wife and unborn child.”

“How so?” Celeborn demanded. Elrond looked troubled.

Erestor swallowed.

“You remember the young man handing out the knife to us?” This question was directed at the healer. Elrond nodded slowly.

“He´s the nephew of the mayor. I sought him out and convinced him to talk.”

Glorfindel only snorted.

Sensing the rising impatience, Erestor hurried to explain.

“Two years ago, during the great flood many injured townspeople were brought into the valley. You worked for a week, day and night, in healing the many injured and sick.”

Elrond nodded. “I clearly remember that, but still see no connection to the mayor.”

“Late at night on the fourth day of the second week, a man was pounding at the door loudly demanding entrance…”

The healer´s head snapped up.

“This man was Halward, the mayor of Tharbad. Now I remember. He had his wife in his arms.” Elrond briefly closed his eyes. “She was already dead, yet…..”

“Yet what?” Celeborn asked oddly calm.

Elrond opened his eyes. “She was heavily pregnant, ready to deliver.”

Celebrían let out a small cry.

“Yes, I remember. He could not accept the fact that his wife was already dead. He would not listen, constantly pleading with you to help her.”

Elrond nodded. “I barely managed to retrieve the dead body from him, only …….. after promising to deliver the child nonetheless.”

Celeborn narrowed his eyes. “The unborn child was still alive…?”

Elrond swallowed. “No reasoning worked with the man and I could still detect some life in the unborn child, so I tried to deliver….”

The healer shook his head.

“The unborn child died during this process. The mayor broke down and accused me of killing his wife and son. How could I have forgotten this?”

Celebrían hugged her husband. “It was a terrible night, with many injured and dead. It was not your fault.”

Elrond only nodded. No one spoke.

After a while, Galadriel cleared her throat.

“That´s past now. Even if I can sympathize with the mayor, this will not justify his actions today.”

She directed her gaze at the healer.

“Have you come to a decision concerning Arwen?”

Elrond looked at his wife. Celebrían bit her lip and made a helpless gesture.

“What about the twins?” she asked directing a questioning gaze at her mother.

“I advise to take them in. They have to know the truth.”

Elrond placed his head in his hands. “They will have much to come to terms themselves, but I think they will agree.”

“Then it is settled,” Galadriel said.

“I will wait until morning and treat Arwen before she wakes. Elrond, Celebrían, you will have to talk with the boys and keep them occupied.”

“And I will stand watch that no one gets the wiser about what´s happening.” Celeborn rose and inclined his head when Glorfindel silently followed him.

 

………………………………

 

Two days later the entourage of elves left Tharbad. Erestor had done a good job to give as many answers to inquiring townspeople yet, as was his wont, he never really answered any question. From the mayor they had seen no further sign.

Elrond sighed relieved when they had reached the outskirts of the town.

Galadriel´s intervention had worked. Arwen was still subdued, yet the beginning signs of fading were lessening. Elladan and Elrohir did their best to keep their sister occupied and cheering her up.

Much work lay ahead of the healer to heal the wounds, bodily and mentally, done to his family.

Celebrían squeezed the hand of her husband.

“Let us return home, my love.”

Elrond nodded and looked fondly at his already departing children.

He squeezed a slender hand back. The Lord and Lady of Light brought up the rear.

End

      





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List