Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Repercussions  by French Pony

5. Comes The Dawn

Faramir lay on the pyre, drenched in foul-smelling oil. Denethor cackled wildly and waved a torch in the air. Gandalf was saying something, but it seemed vague and far away. "He is burning! My son is burning!" Denethor cried, pointing at Faramir. Faramir stiffened, then suddenly burst into flames. Denethor laughed and threw the torch at Gandalf. He jumped onto the burning pyre, singing and shouting all at once. Gandalf turned toward Pippin, a towering mass of flame, and extended his fiery arms. Pippin yelled and tried to run, but his feet refused to move. The roar of the flames grew louder, and Gandalf began to melt and grow. He was a Balrog, lashing his whip of fire, burning everywhere he touched. Pippin turned toward the door, only to see it turn into a wall of flame as the Balrog's whip touched it. Pippin stepped toward a window --

A cool breeze ruffled Pippin's hair.

-- but the bars were on fire. He could see countryside spread out below, and he watched in horror as the house at Crickhollow caught fire. He yelled again, and the Balrog stepped toward him.

"Pippin!"

The Balrog cried his name. Pippin tried to dodge, but came up short against the pyre. Faramir's blackened corpse jerked upright from the force of the fire, and his sightless eyes bored into Pippin.

"Pippin, please wake up!"

Faramir's arms shot forward and clutched Pippin's shoulders. A scrap of burning tapestry floated down and brushed his face.

One of the mallorn leaves shifted in the vase and brushed Pippin's face.

He gave a strangled gasp and tried to twist free of the hands grasping his shoulders.

He arched his back, then fell back on the pillow.

He turned away from the pyre of his new liege lord, unable to watch as the Steward and his son burned.

His eyes blinked, and then opened, the cloudiness gradually clearing as focus returned. Something smelled sweet above him, and he realized that it was a mallorn leaf. He wondered why it was in his face.

"Pippin? Can you see me? Oh, Pippin, have you come back to me?"

It was Diamond's voice. Pippin blinked again. A hand brushed the mallorn leaf aside, and there was Diamond, hope and fear chasing each other across her lovely face. He smiled weakly at her and tried to embrace her, but his arms felt as heavy as stone. He tried to speak, but nothing came out except a painful croak.

"Dia . . .mond?"

"Shh. Don't try to talk yet. Do you want some water?"

Pippin nodded. Diamond slid a hand under his head and raised it a little. Pippin found a mug of cool water at his lips, and he managed a few sips. It seemed to him by far the sweetest thing he had ever tasted, surpassing even the Elf-draught that Gildor had given him so long ago.

Slowly, he became aware of the rest of his body. He was lying in a bed in Bag End. He felt uncomfortably prickly all over, but the prickliness felt strangely distant. Someone was massaging his hand. With a supreme effort, Pippin turned his head and saw Rosie Gamgee. Rosie smiled at him.

"Pippin, lad?" A rich, familiar voice sounded over his head. He turned back toward the voice, and there was his father, smiling broadly and blinking back tears.

"Dad?" Pippin whispered.

"Oh, Pippin, welcome back to the world, son," Paladin said. "We thought we'd lost you there, but here you are!"

Diamond's eyes were shining as she raised his hand and kissed it. Pippin managed a real smile and twined his fingers in her hair. Diamond burst forth with a choked gasp that was half laughter and half a sob. Pippin chuckled a little and tried to embrace her again. His arms still did not want to move, but Diamond understood his intent and leaned down to embrace him.

Rosie gave his hand a quick squeeze. "I'll go find Merry and Sam," she said and left the room.

"Why . . .am I in Bag End?" Pippin asked. His voice felt a little stronger, although his throat was unaccountably sore. Diamond's face quickly became serious. She and Paladin shared a worried glance.

"Do you remember the fire?" she asked.

Pippin frowned as shreds of memory connected themselves. He had been at the Fair, with Diamond and Estella. They had been watching the pony show. He remembered thinking that Diamond should have a riding pony of her own, and then . . . oh, yes. There had been a terrible roar, like a hundred fireworks exploding at once, only it had gone on and on and on. He had seen flames over his head and had vaguely heard the screaming begin, and then his world had dissolved into terror and smoke and flame.

"The tent caught fire, at the Fair," he said. Diamond nodded. Pippin looked around the room, and new questions sprang to mind. "Where are the others? The children, are they safe? What happened to Estella and the Gaffer? And what time is it?"

Diamond and Paladin looked at each other. Diamond took both of Pippin's hands in hers and took a deep breath before she began the tale.

 

 

Rosie found Sam in the kitchen tying a bandage around Merry's knuckles. Merry was in a high temper, his words spilling all over each other as he spoke to Sam.

". . . and then, I couldn't help it. I was so angry, so furious, it was as if there was this force inside me pushing me. I hit him in the mouth. I shouldn't have done that, I know, but, oh, I couldn't stop myself if I tried. And the funny thing was, a punch like that should have laid him out flat, but it woke him up instead. He started talking, about the most horrible things. Sam, you were right. The fire was set, and he set it. Somehow, he thinks Saruman came to him and told him to burn things, and he set the tent on fire."

Rosie gasped. Sam and Merry looked up. "Who did it?" she asked.

"An orphan lad that Pervinca found in the banquet tent," Merry said. "He says his name's Grig, and he won't give any other name."

"And he set the tent on fire?"

Sam nodded. "That's what Mr. Merry says. It sounds mighty strange to me. I'm not sure what to make of it yet. I thought you were helping with Pippin."

Rosie smiled. "That's what I came to tell you about. Pippin's awake." Sam and Merry sat for a moment in silence, shy hope rising in their eyes.

Merry found his voice first. "Really awake?" he asked. "Talking? Does he know people?"

"Yes. He's really awake. Diamond and the Thain are with him now. Go in and see him."

Merry looked to Sam. Sam nodded. "Go on. Pippin needs you now. I'll handle this Grig lad. Thank you for telling me, Mr. Merry." Merry jumped up and left the kitchen.

Sam sat back in his chair and rubbed at his temples. Rosie pulled up a chair and sat down next to him. "What happens now?" she asked.

"I don't know, Rosie," Sam sighed. "I just don't know. I don't even know how to begin thinking about it. Just the thought that one Hobbit could do such a dreadful thing -- well, that was bad enough, but a lad of only sixteen years?" Sam took a long breath and gazed up at the ceiling. "All I want to do is -- well, I can't do it. Mr. Frodo would know what to do, or Mr. Gandalf, or Lord Elrond, or one of those high folk. But they're not here, and I am."

"Sam . . ."

Sam stood up. "I need to go out for a while, Rosie," he said. "I need to go somewhere where I can think this over." He reached out and hugged her. "You are a jewel, Rose Gamgee, and don't you forget it." Then he turned and walked out the door.

 

 

Merry's heart was in his throat as he pushed open the door to Pippin's room. Paladin looked up as the door creaked. "Merry?" he said. "Come in, come in."

"Uncle Paladin," Merry said softly. "Is he -- is he really --?"

"Yes, he's awake. Come and see him."

Merry approached the bed, hardly daring to believe his eyes. Pippin looked at him with clear eyes and smiled. "Merry," he said, his voice raspy but present. "So you're here, too. You haven't all been waiting around for a slug-a-bed like myself, have you?"

"Slug-a-bed? Oh, Pippin, you rascal! I was so scared you'd never wake up! I swore to myself a hundred times that I'd never tease you again, no matter how late you slept, if you were only ever able to visit me again."

"Good," Pippin said with a mischievous smile. "I shall hold you to that promise. But right now I am getting tired of lying on my back. I think I should like to sit up and see all of you better."

"Of course, Pippin, if you feel strong enough," Merry said. He, Diamond and Paladin rearranged the pillows on the bed and helped Pippin to sit up.

"That's better," Pippin said, after adjusting to his new position. "Now, what about breakfast?"

"Hungry?" laughed Diamond. "You just woke up!"

"Of course," Pippin replied. "You told me yourself, I haven't had a decent meal in days."

"You are getting better," Diamond said. "I'll go to the kitchen and ask Rosie to get you the biggest, best breakfast any Hobbit ever had."

 

 

Rosie had brought the breakfast on a tray when there was a knock at the door. When she opened it, ber brother Tom was waiting on the doorstep. "Oh, Tom!" Rosie cried. "Pippin's woken up! He's really awake, and he knew us all, and he was talking and he even wanted breakfast!"

"That's the best news I've had since the fire," Tom said. "I'm sure I can't possibly top that, but I did come to tell you something else good. Widow Rumble says Estella Brandybuck can be moved now. She's still a little sick, and she's awful weak, but Widow Rumble figures she'll heal faster if she's in a real bed. Do you think you might be able to take her?"

Rosie beamed even brighter. "Of course. I've had her room made up since yesterday. I'll run and get Merry and we'll hitch up the pony cart."

"All right then. I've got to head back to the tent and get Mistress Estella ready to go. Give my best to Mr. Pippin!" And he headed off down the hill. Rosie hurried to Pippin's room.

"Merry," she said. "Tom was just here. Estella is well enough to come to Bag End, too. Will you come help me fetch her?"

Merry looked stunned for a moment, then laughed. "All the good things are happening at once, it seems!" he said. "Pippin and Estella, both alive and in Bag End to heal. I'll have my hands full visiting both of you," he told Pippin. Pippin smiled around a mouthful of boiled egg.

"Go get her, Merry," he said. "She needs you now." Merry nodded and followed Rosie out the door.

 

 

Some time later, after Estella had been comfortably installed with Merry to dote on her, Rosie walked out toward the great field where the mass funeral had been held. There was a single Hobbit standing staring at the fresh grave. It was Sam. Rosie walked over and stood beside him.

"I thought I'd find you here," she said.

"More than anything in the world, I realized I wanted to talk to the Gaffer," Sam told her sadly. "I asked him what he thought I should do, seeing as how this lad might have been the one that killed him. I don't even know that I was expecting an answer, but if there was one to be had, I couldn't hear it."

Rosie could think of no comforting words for Sam. The Gaffer's death had left a hole in their hearts whose size they were just beginning to appreciate. She put an arm around his shoulder, and he held her hand. Neither spoke for a while. Finally, Rosie removed her arm.

"Estella's been moved into the guest room I set up for her," Rosie said. "Merry was sitting with her when I left. And Pippin asked for you."

"I should go see him, then." Sam smiled. "I'll bet that's what the Gaffer would say. 'See that you don't neglect the living for the dead, Sam Gamgee. I'm not going nowhere no more, but Mr. Pippin'll be better in a flash.'" Rosie giggled, and the two of them turned and walked back to Bag End.

 

 

Pippin was considerably cheered by Sam's arrival. He declared that the sight of his friend made him feel strong enough to sit in an armchair. Diamond pulled the chair from the corner closer to the bed, and Paladin and Sam each took one of Pippin's elbows and helped him out of the bed. Pippin's legs were wobbly from so many days unconscious, but he managed to stumble the few feet to the chair under his own power. He had grown rather sober over the course of the day as he heard the tale of the fire told by everyone in Bag End. He could also see the worry in Sam's eyes, and knew that there was more that he hadn't been told yet. Just as he was getting ready to force the end of the story from Sam, two small faces peered around the door.

"See, Little Rose? I told you Uncle Pippin was all right," Elanor told her little sister. Pippin grinned and called the girls in. They raced over to him, and Little Rose clung adoringly to his knee while Elanor climbed into his lap. Sam took advantage of the confusion to beckon Paladin into the hall.

"Mr. Paladin, sir," Sam began shyly, "I'm plumb stuck, sir, and I'd value your advice on a problem, if you'd be willing to give it."

"What is the problem?" Paladin asked.

"Well, sir, Mr. Merry came to me this morning with the strangest tale. He said he'd been to see an orphan lad last night, and that the lad had confessed to setting the Show Tent on fire. Mr. Merry wouldn't lie, sir, but he was mighty angry, and he'd given the lad a right to the jaw. I don't know what to do about that, sir. If the lad did set fire to the tent, he killed and wounded scores of Hobbits, and he'll have to be punished. But I don't know how to go about doing that, sir. Would you have any advice on a matter like that?"

Paladin thought for a while. When he did speak, it was in grave, slow tones. "I think," he said, "that the first thing is to determine whether or not this lad is guilty. You should question him, but do it in the open, before all Hobbiton. This matter concerns everyone. Once you have heard all the facts of the matter, then you may judge, and the judging will be easier."

"Thank you kindly, sir," Sam said. "I think I'll do just that. If nothing else, it'll give me more time in which to decide things." Paladin nodded to Sam and returned to Pippin's room. Sam went across the hall to check on Merry and Estella.

Estella still looked peaked and ill, but some color was returning to her cheeks. She was sitting limply, her arms wrapped around herself, cradled in Merry's arms. She mustered a little smile when Sam came in, prompting a larger one from Merry. "Hello, Sam," she murmured. "Thank you for letting me stay here a while. I'm sure I'll get strong again soon."

"You take all the time that you need, Mistress Estella," Sam said. "We're just happy that you're still with us."

"I heard you and Uncle Paladin out in the hall," Merry said. "What were you talking about?"

"As a matter of fact," Sam replied, "we were discussing what's to be done with that lad you visited last night." Sam paused. He wasn't sure he liked the hardening set of Merry's jaw, but he plunged forward. "I'm going to haul him out in front of all Hobbiton tomorrow and question him. And then, after I've found out the truth of the matter, I'll decide what to do about him."

"Good," Merry said. "I want to be there when you do. I want all Hobbiton to see him, to know just what he is. I want them to see that murderer, and I want him to see them and feel their terror and hurt. I want him to feel it for the rest of his life. I want him to burn with it."

"Merry!" Estella gasped. She reached up one wavering hand to his forehead. "What's happened to you? You've gotten so grim all of a sudden."

"It's no more than he deserves, after what he did to you and to Pippin and to the Gaffer."

"No." Estella's voice was a little stronger. "Don't go down that road, Merry. Pippin's all right, and I'm going to live, but we need someone to come back to. You sound just like a stranger, not my sweet Merry Brandybuck. Please don't turn into such a monster. I've already lost a baby. I don't want to lose you, too."

Merry sighed. "I'm sorry," he said. "All my fear is turning to anger, it seems. I wish it could turn to courage again."

"It will," Sam said. "You stay with Mistress Estella, Mr. Merry. Stay here and stay calm and you'll find your courage."

"I hope so," Merry said. "Will you tell Pippin I'll stop in to see him later?" Sam nodded and left the room.

When he entered Pippin's room, he found Little Rose on her Uncle Pippin's lap and Elanor sitting by Auntie Diamond's feet as Paladin finished telling a story. The girls laughed and clapped their hands. When he saw Sam, Pippin sat a little straighter and lifted Little Rose off his lap. "Go sit on Auntie Diamond for a bit," he said. "I want to ask something of your Dad."

"What's that, Mr. Pippin?" Sam asked.

Pippin glanced at Paladin before he spoke. "My father told me that you've found the lad that started the fire."

"Well," Sam cautioned, "Merry thinks he might have. I won't say for sure until tomorrow."

"At the Questioning, yes," Pippin said. "I should like -- if it wouldn't be too much trouble, that is -- I should like to see him before then."

"Pippin, why?" Diamond asked.

"I don't rightly know," Pippin admitted. "I suppose I'm as curious as anyone about who would do such a thing, but it's mostly just a feeling I've got. It's something I need to do."

"Are you sure you can stand it? You only just woke up this morning."

"It needn't be very long. And I can see Pervinca and Pimpernel, too, while I'm there."

Sam nodded. "I suppose we can put you in my pony cart," he said. "But I'd like Mr. Paladin to come with us, and we'll keep an eye on you to make sure you're strong enough. If we think you're not, you're to come straight back with us."

"All right," Pippin said. He waved off Paladin's hand, grasped the arms of the chair and stood slowly. Sam waited a moment to make sure Pippin wasn't about to fall down on the spot, then went out back to hitch up the pony.

 

 

A short while later, Pervinca Took ushered her brother into the shed where Grig was sitting despondently on his cot. Pippin sat down on a bale of hay and looked the boy up and down. For someone who had managed to kill sixty-seven Hobbits, the boy looked singularly unimpressive. Pippin thought for a moment, then leaned toward the boy.

"I'm Pippin Took," he began. "What's your name?"

"Grig."

"Just Grig?"

"Grigory. Grigory Brockhouse."

"And how old are you, Grigory Brockhouse?"

"I'm --" Grig paused to count on his fingers. "I'm sixteen."

"I see," Pippin said with a smile. "Grig, where are your parents?"

"Haven't got parents."

"Oh. What happened to them?"

Grig put his head in his hands and started to shake. At first, Pippin thought he was crying, but when he reached out a hand toward Grig, the boy's head shot up, and he was laughing in short, sharp barks. "All gone!" he cried. "My mam burned up, whoosh! Just like that. Sharkey came and burned our house, and my mam inside it, and she was covered in fire, and oh, how she danced! Dance, dance, dance, and all the time her shining like the sun. Dance, Mamma, dance! And then she fell down, boom, and she didn't get up no more, but Sharkey did make her dance, oh yes he did!"

Pippin gulped. "And your father?" he asked. "What happened to him?"

Grig laughed again, only this time his laughter was mixed with moans and strange animal cries. "Sharkey got him, too. He sits up in Bag End and sends the Ruffians out and they come and bother us no end. And then the shiny Travelers come, with their bright armor shiny in the sunlight shiny as the stars in the sun. There was a big fight, oh yes there was, the biggest fight ever seen and at the end the Travelers stood shining in victory and my da lay dead at their feet. And I've got a secret."

"What secret? Will you tell me?"

Grig grinned his lunatic grin. "They all think Sharkey burned up then, but no, sir, he stayed around. But I got him, I got him good, I burned him all to little bits, just like he burned my mam, dancing and flickery in the night." Grig dissolved into hysterical laughter. Pippin sat back and stared at the mad Hobbit, revulsion and pity rising in his throat.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List