Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of Closed and Open Doors  by WhiteTree

"Yes, my lord, he has eaten all of the meals we have served him," Terevion explained to Imrahil as they walked down the hall.

He motioned to Halel's door as they passed it, "That one, however, is a different story."

As they reached Faramir's room, Galron rounded the corner carrying a tray of food.

"So this is what you were doing around the cook fire. Are your fellow men-at-arms unworthy of your culinary skills?" Imrahil teased.

Galron merely laughed. Imrahil already knew where the knight was going with the scrumptious meal and he opened Halel's door for him. It was good to see his young subordinate enjoying cooking again after a year. He was amused, though, by the paradox of a ferocious knight like Galron delighting in a feminine interest such as the culinary arts. The prince shook his head.

"This younger generation…."

"I want the leftovers," he called as he closed the door behind Galron.

Halel's face was turned away, her hand covering her face, her breathing still ragged.

She sensed movement, jerked her hand away, and turned her head.

"It is Galron, lady," he said as he set the tray down on the table and helped her sit up. She gasped with sudden pain from her wounded midsection and grabbed her stomach. Galron ceased momentarily but then continued to assist her once she relaxed.

"What is this, Galron?" she asked weakly.

"The healers informed me that you have not eaten anything they have served you."

"Oh," her voice trailed off. "I simply have no desire for food."

"That's because you have not partaken of my fare," he informed her with a wry smile as he carefully placed the tray on her lap and then sat in a chair next to the bed. He knew she was hurting emotionally as well as physically, and that was the source of her lack of appetite. But he had to try to get her to eat so she could gain strength for healing.

"You made this for me?" she asked, searching his face.

"Indeed, lady."

"It smells divine." She really wasn't hungry but felt obligated to consume the meal that Galron had labored to produce for her.

" I can't hurt his feelings. The healers and their food…..? Bah."

Galron smiled. "There is chicken, beans, and potatoes, all seasoned to perfection. I wish it could be more, but it was all I managed to forage around the city."

Halel groped for utensils. The knight of Dol Amroth, forgetting about her challenges, hurriedly picked them up and placed them in her hands.

She poked around the plate and awkwardly began to cut into the chicken. Galron wanted to help but thought it best that she learn for herself.

When he was satisfied that she could feed herself, he rose. "I will leave you be."

Halel swallowed and looked up at him. "Thank you for this."

"It was my pleasure." And he departed the room.

The sun was passing into the western sky when Galron returned to Halel's room.

"Enter," came a gruff voice from within. It was Lindion, and his back was to the Swan Knight.

As Galron approached and gazed over the healer's shoulder, he could see that he had unbound the left leg and was examining the wounds. Then, gently cupping one hand under the knee and the other around the ankle, he began to slowly bend the leg. Halel was gasping and clutching the pillow on either side of her head. Her eyes were clenched shut with the pain.

At the sight of the bare leg, Galron quickly turned his back due to the impropriety involved.

"I shall return," he stated quietly. An idea suddenly came to him.

When he re-entered the room, he was pushing a wheeled chair in front of him.

Lindion finished bandaging the leg and looked over his shoulder at him.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I thought it would do her good to get out in the fresh air. Halel?"

"Nothing would please me more than to leave this room right now."

Lindion stood, placed his hands on his hips, and sighed.

Outnumbered, he slowly nodded. "Okay, but don't keep her too long!"

"Of course." Galron moved to the bedside, gently picked up Halel, and wondered as he set her in the chair how someone so slight could have endured the hard life of a soldier.

Lindion crouched and eased the left leg down, massaging it as he bent it.

With Halel secure and fairly comfortable, Galron wheeled her out of the sick room and into the gardens of the Houses of Healing.

The waning sun and breeze felt good on her face. She sighed and closed her eyes, enjoying her surroundings: the gentle sound of water flowing from a fountain, birds chirping, the evening song of insects, muffled distant voices, the sound of the wheels, Galron's soft footfalls.

"Calming, is it not?"

"Quite."

"There is something lacking, however."

She opened her eyes, "Oh?"

His reply was wistful. "The revitalizing aroma of the sea…..the soothing sound of gentle waves rolling onto the shore….the call of the gulls….and the accompanying soft sea breeze."

"You miss Dol Amroth."

"Yes."

She perceived a pang in his voice.

"I visited your homeland once when I was a child. It was beautiful."

"It still is."

"I would like to see it again."

Both she and Galron just realized what she said.

"You will," replied Galron quietly. He noticed that Halel was quietly weeping and stopped at a magnificent rose bush.

"Galron, do not feel obligated to me. You performed your good deed by carrying me to the Houses."

He ignored her and plucked a flower. "The fragrance is exquisite," he observed as he picked up her hand and gently placed the bloom in the palm.

She was thankful she could still make out colors as she held it up in front of her face. "Pale orange. It is beautiful. Thank you."

And then they resumed their journey in silence until Halel asked, "Why did you want to be a soldier?"

"I thought I would like the life. And I do."

They traveled a little further down the path, and he continued, "I enjoy the martial arts….the camaraderie…..the fulfillment of protecting the innocent from evil."

"Where does cooking fit into that list? You're very good at it, by the way."

Galron laughed and ran a hand through shoulder-length raven hair. "Why thank you, my lady." Following a reflective pause, he carefully continued, "It is a relaxing activity. After taking life in my role as a soldier, it is restorative to be able to do something to sustain it."

He fell silent and then stopped, "I best return you to your chamber. I do not want to draw the ire of the healers."

That, and her questions were beginning to fall too close to a painful past.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List