Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Parting of Friends  by swg12

 This is my first attempt at a fan fic, so don't expect a lot of it.

 Disclaimer: I am not Tolkien, I'm just playing with his characters and plot.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The White Ship sailed across the sea, disturbing the ripples made by the softly falling rain. A gentle wind filled its sails, urging it forward, while my heart begged it to stay. I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting to see the scene in front of me. I mentally pleaded with the ship, the winds, the waves, to let the ship return to the shore. I began to weep, knowing that such efforts were hopeless, that he was not coming back. He was not coming back.

      I had finally admitted it to myself. I had known it in my mind, but I did not want to believe it. It had not reached my heart, until now. I did not want to accept it; I tried not to think about it, but I could deny the truth no longer. He would never return. Frodo was going to Valinor. I could not bring him back; Frodo would be gone...forever.

       The weight of the Ring for so long had wearied him. He rarely laughed, and sometimes seemed far off and distant. Some days I found him lying in his bed, clutching the gem that Queen Arwen gave him. He has never really been healed from the wound from the Nazgul's sword or Shelob's poisons. He will never be whole again. He knew that there was only one place where he could find rest: taking a ship from the Grey Havens to travel to Valinor.

        Normally Valinor is for elves to depart to when they grow weary of this world, but they can make exceptions. Frodo has served the Elves well, as has Bilbo, who is also departing. They both bore the Ring in their turn. They, like the Elves, have grown weary of this world. After all the pain that they have endured, they deserve to go to this wonderful place of healing.

        I shook these thoughts from my mind and watched the ship sail over the horizon. It seemed that with every meter it sailed, a spear was driven deeper into my heart. Just as the ship disappeared, the soft rain turned to a downpour. The raindrops mingled with my tears and ran down my face. I watched for a few more minutes, turned Bill around and rode home. I have just arrived at Bag-end, and am still weeping bitterly. My heart aches terribly. Hurriedly, I dismount Bill and walk inside. "Sam, what is it?" Rosie asks, sitting me down. "I just put Elanor to bed. She couldn't stay awake to wait for you any longer." My shoulders shake as I stifle a sob. "It's Mr. Frodo. He's...he's gone. He sailed from the Havens." I cry. Rosie comes and sits beside me. She embraces me gently and comforts me as you would a small child as I sob uncontrollably into her shoulder.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ok, well that's it! PLEASE review and tell me what you think!





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List