Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Return of Elrond's Precious!  by Calairiel Malromiel

King Thranduil was having a bad day. Since the wedding of his granddaughters to the grandsons of King Finwë, it had become clear that he was going to have trouble getting himself shed of the Noldorin Nobles who had tarried since that joyous event. 

 

He was walking about the grounds that had become a semi-permanent housing settlement and with him were his kinsmen, the Celewanûn. The silver-twins, Eluréd and Elurín, who both looked chastened as Thranduil had been chewing them a new one for the last twenty minutes - and they were both dismayed with how good he was at it! They’d never met anyone so capable of instilling guilt as this one!

 

“Now, kinsmen! Surely you are not blaming us for this?!!” Elurín protested, his twin wisely keeping his mouth shut.

 

Thranduil impatiently swept his arm out, indicating the grounds, saying, “All this is your fault. Both of you! If you hadn’t thought it amusing to task those three brothers with making amends, instead of just accepting their apology, then none of this would be happening!”

 

“Here now! How were we to know they’d all meet ladies that suited their fancy?” Eluréd complained.

 

“If it was just the three of them I’d not be complaining. They’ve all made positive contributions to our people and land. It’s all these others who think they can find wives for their offspring that’s becoming a problem. And they’re spoiled brats - the entire lot of them. I can’t tell you how many complaints and demands I receive daily from them complaining of their accommodations which were never meant to be permanent!” the king snapped, adding grimly, “I’ve had to direct all my staff to tell them they’d find better chambers within their own homes and they should return to them sooner rather than later!”

 

“Well that’s one way to go about it, though I think they’re too thick to take a hint!” Eluréd observed.

 

“You could make them so uncomfortable they just leave in disgust!” Elurín suggested.

 

“Perhaps. I know simply asking them to look after themselves seems a grave insult to them.” the king sniffed, and then added, “Oh! By the way, your andaeradar wants you.”

 

The twins blinked and Eluréd asked, “Wants us for what?”

 

“How should I know? He sent a messenger and wants you both to present yourselves to him.”

 

They shared a look and said, “Alright.” 

 

Thranduil pinched the bridge of his nose, saying, “You’re not going, are you?”

 

“Do you really want us to answer that?” Elurín grinned.

 

“No! No, I don’t.” he sighed, and then, “Think of some way to encourage these people to leave, will you?”

 

“Will do!” they both chimed with a grin.

 

“Very well, carry on!” Thranduil said and left them to it.

 

“Did he just give us free reign to…..cause mischief?” Elurín asked in awe of the implications.

 

“I do believe he did, brother!” Eluréd said with glee.

 

“Well, then! Let us not disappoint him!” Elurín grinned.

 

“Nothing destructive, brother. We’ll need to use a gentler approach.” Eluréd warned.

 

“Well, that just defeats the whole endeavor, don’t you think?” Elurín complained.

 

“No! Don’t be silly! We have plenty of arrows in our quivers, brother!” Eluréd declared.

 

~0~

 

Elrond was pacing about the king's talan, trying to calm himself. He didn’t know why he was so agitated but he really wished Thranduil would hurry up and return. He’d said he’d only be a moment. His wife had become so disgusted with him she’d gone off with the queen to picnic near a spring that Mirilla fancied.

 

When he finally spotted the king, he made his way quickly over to him, exclaiming, “What took you so long?!”

 

“What is wrong, Elrond?”

 

“I simply wished to speak to you about Elladan and Lastaraen.”

 

“What is there to talk about? She hasn’t finished punishing him yet. Once she has her pound of flesh he’ll be able to declare himself once more and then we can look forward to the betrothal and wedding. Don’t expect this to happen any time soon, though. She’s been waiting a very long time for him to make amends.”

 

“But why is she punishing him, he….” and he broke off because he knew very well why she was punishing him. He’d let her down when he and his brother were off hunting down orcs after the wounding of Celebrian.

 

Thranduil looked wearily at him and said, “You know why. I’m not saying they didn’t have justification in their pain and rage, but when my son was injured and she asked for him to come and help he blew her off - callously.”

 

“I didn’t know about that. I assumed it was because he’d neglected her and I thought that was bad enough. I’m sorry.”

 

“Perhaps you noted that Legolas didn’t visit after they sailed?” and sighing, Thranduil added, “But why would you? I certainly understand that you’d been hit hard with the loss of your wife, even if not to death. Legolas and I understood very well the loss of our wives and children. We only had each other after that.”

 

“So, you’re saying your family leaving was my son’s fault.”

 

“No. That was the fault of Sauron and his filthy spiders. Your son’s response to my daughter’s plea was indeed his fault.” Thranduil said not giving an inch on this matter. He’d been there when Elladan’s message had come. Elrond was evidently unaware of the whole matter.

 

Continuing, Thranduil said, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I actually have a number of urgent matters on my plate at the moment and I can’t reassure you on a matter I feel is mostly healed and just needs time to play itself out. I wish for my daughter to be settled every bit as much as you’d like the same for your son.” and with that, the king left him to enter his talan and Elrond found himself with quite a bit to chew on.

 

~0~

 

Not knowing when to leave a matter alone, Elrond went to seek out his son and got pretty much the same story. Lastaraen had sent a message to Elladan to request his assistance as he was a talented healer and she’d hoped he could help her brother, Reuel, who was only in his thirties at the time of his wounding.

 

Sighing, Elrond said, “I’m so sorry this all happened and I’m even sorrier that you felt you couldn’t talk to me about it.”

 

“Adar, you were upset that naneth had to sail and Roh and I weren’t any happier about it. It didn’t even occur to us that we were acting like idiots and hurting the ones we loved. You, Arwen, Glorfindel, Erestor - just to name a few. And my real crime against Lastaraen was in taking her affections for granted. I was a complete cad and I’m sorry for it.” Elladan said ruefully.

 

“Will she forgive you any time soon, do you think?” Elrond asked.

 

“Oh, she’s already forgiven me. She wouldn’t be punishing me if she hadn’t. She wouldn’t even speak to me if she’d decided to be done with me. I’m lucky she’s letting me off the hook so lightly. Andaeradar Fingolfin said his wife greeted him very sweetly when he’d escaped from the Halls - and then she punished him for close to a century afterwards. He said he got off lucky, considering.” Elladan said.

 

“You spoke to him about this?” Elrond demanded, outraged.

 

“In a roundabout way. He saw how despondent I was and I blurted out that I didn’t think she’d ever forgive me enough to allow me to declare myself. He told me about he and his wife to make me feel better, I think.”

 

“Well, I don’t like you talking to him about such personal matters.” Elrond said and knew he was being unreasonable, yet couldn’t seem to help himself.

 

“It’s really none of your concern either, adar.” Elladan said firmly, and then, “Why don’t you try and get to know andaeradar. He’s still here and you seem to have no problem with either your parents or your adopted adars. But you seem to hold a grudge against one who has never done you an injury in his entire life.” Elladan said and stalked off.

 

Elrond was left standing and staring after his son’s retreating back and felt he had some soul-searching to do. He knew his son was right. He didn’t know why Fingolfin bothered him so much. He’d died before Elrond and his brother were even born and there had never been a single word of condemnation from the lips of his atars. Rather they’d admired him and what he’d done. Plus he’d been willing to go and get his daughter out of the Halls. And he had gone in and gotten Maglor out - and had been irreversibly changed because of it.

 

He began to wonder if he was somehow jealous. He’d been one of the most esteemed leaders in Ennorath and he’d kept his Valley safe for over an Age. So had his mother-in-honor and both had the Rings of Power to assist them in doing so while they’d ignored Thranduil and his battle of attrition that he’d fought alone in Mirkwood. And Elrond had sent Thranduil’s last link to the land off on a Quest that held the real possibility of death for all involved. A quest that had severed Legolas’ own link to the land when he’d been struck with the Sea Longing.

 

Why did he fear Fingolfin? Because he was coming to the conclusion that that’s what his problem was. He feared him. And Fingolfin never boasted about his act. In fact, he deemed it foolhardy and was full of self-derision for it. Others would whisper behind his back, though. Whispers of awe over his bravery. Was it his self awareness that rankled him? He didn’t seem to take anything seriously - certainly not himself. And then on their last little adventure he’d been chosen by one of the most powerful of the Valar. Both Aratar and Fëanturi, Mandos was perhaps the most feared of all the Valar and he’d seen something of value within Fingolfin.

 

Angry with himself, he decided he would track his andaeradar down and hash it out. He’d never been a coward in his life and he’d face this fear if it killed him. Though he knew he had no such expectations. 

 

~0~

 

Fingolfin had stayed after his nephews’ wedding because he'd formed a connection with both Aiwendil and Olórin and he decided to continue with that connection as he hoped a friendship would develop. As a prince in the House of Finwë, Fingolfin’s childhood had been fairly lonely. Isolated.

 

He had no contemporaries outside his kin for he’d discovered any friendships he thought he was forming was based solely on the fact that he was the son of the king. In other words, he had followers - not friends. And he knew his siblings all experienced the same thing, which is why their best friends were each other.

 

Right now the three were relaxing in the forest by a pond they’d found and enjoying the last days of Fall before the Fading occurred and the leaves fell but before the chill set in. Aiwendil was having a conversation with a squirrel who had evidently forgotten where he’d hidden his winter stores and he was trying to convince it to just continue with his foraging and set aside the last of the bounty and he was sure to recall where he’d hidden that which he’d spent so much time hiding.

 

All three had partaken of Aiwendil’s tincture and were having a hard time not laughing at the maia having an argument with a rodent who wasn’t at all impressed with the maia’s advice and who eventually scampered off in a huff to the amusement of all present with all three sharing a very nice belly laugh over the absurdity of the whole situation. And it was upon this scene that Elrond found his great grandfather! Laughing so hard tears were leaching from his eyes!

 

Elrond had heard about the tincture and while he didn’t understand the reason for it, he also didn’t think Mithrandir would acquiesce to it unless there was some extraordinary reason for it. That being said, he knew what he’d probably be dealing with and decided to sit and wait until the storm of laughter ran its course.

 

It was Olórin who recovered first and smiled at Elrond before saying, “Hello Elrond. What brings you out this fine day?”

 

Smiling in return, Elrond said, “I actually came to find Lord Fingolfin, though I can see that you are all enjoying yourselves and I feel loath to interrupt your fellowship.”

 

The reaction of the two maiar was interesting, to say the least. They both sobered up and looked pensive with his words and both stood and placed themselves between him and his grandfather, with Aiwendil saying, “Oh no! I don’t think that’s a good idea. Not a good idea at all.”

 

“No, indeed. Perhaps you and I can take a walk in the woods, Elrond. And we can talk! We can talk about anything you’d like.” Olórin added.

 

But Fingolfin said, “It’s alright. If he wishes to speak with me I’m not opposed to it.” and got to his feet and offered a hand to his descendant to help him to his feet.

 

“Very well. But if he annoys you, you’re to call us right away. Promise us!” Olórin insisted, much to Elrond’s chagrin. And Aiwendil, he noted, was kneading his tunic nervously and looking quite concerned.

 

“Very well, I promise.” Fingolfin said good naturedly, and then turned to Elrond, adding, “Shall we?”

 

Always very tall, Fingolfin had apparently gained several hand-spans of height as he towered over his grandson as they walked through the forest until Fingolfin found a suitable place for them to sit comfortably so Elrond could get whatever was bothering him off his chest.

 

“What’s it like?” and at his grandsire’s look of inquiry, added, “The change they made to you. You’re different from Glorfindel, I think. I could see his grace, of course, but it was plain he was still an ellon. He just seemed to carry a blessing, if you will.” he paused before continuing, “But you! You seem to be just like them. Are you?”

 

“I’m not sure, not being them. I certainly don’t have their long memories, but we’ve shared minds and they don’t break me when we do. That isn’t to say I was able to transform seamlessly. I apparently now have other issues they were created with that I’ve been having problems with.” he said with a smirk.

 

“Is that what the tinctures are for?” Elrond asked perceptively.

 

“Yes.” he snorted, “It’s the emotions, you see. They feel things much deeper than we do and it’s been rather overwhelming for me. The tinctures separate me a bit from them so I’m better able to sort through them. File them away where they belong, if you will.”

 

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

 

“Oh, it’s not all bad.” he said and held out his hand which Elrond took without thinking, “For example, I’m now able to do this!” and with a flash Elrond found himself in a nearby tree with his grandfather holding tightly onto him!

 

“Don’t worry! I have you.” and with another flash they were back where they’d started and Elrond turned a elated grin upon Fingolfin, saying, “I say! That was great fun! What a marvelous gift.”

 

“It does have its perks. I’ll admit I only agreed to it out of curiosity for the most part. A new adventure, so to speak. - though it did sound like I’d be helping out. But I really had no idea what I was getting myself into.” he smiled.

 

“But why Mandos of all people?”

 

“Well, he’s the only one who asked, you see. And he’s not what you think. Not what any of us thought, truthfully. He’s actually quite agreeable.” 

 

“But his Dooms. He cursed you and everyone who left all those years ago.” Elrond protested.

 

Fingolfin shrugged before saying, “He has his part in the Music. He’s part of Ilúvatar’s thought. But think, Elrond. He is brother to Irmo and Nienna and while he sees all, there are only a few times he’s pronounced a Doom. You don’t think he comes up with those pronouncements on his own do you? No! Those few times that’s happened, it wasn’t him. But he was the vassal used to make them, poor fellow.”

 

“You’re saying they came right from Ilúvatar?” Elrond asked in horror.

 

“Yes. But you also have to understand that we had the freedom of choice. It was our decision to go and the Doom was foresight into what our future would be if we went. I don’t regret leaving, though I honestly had no idea what crossing the Grinding Ice would be like and the toll it would take on us. But I also don’t regret any of my actions there - including the last one, poorly thought out as it was. But some of the choices we made as a whole were crap - but they played out as they were meant to. And,” he paused to give Elrond a deeply penetrating look, “if we hadn’t rebelled, you, your brother and many others would never have existed and I’ll never regret that!”

 

“I’ve thought of that, as well.” Elrond smiled, “But all that fuss over some gems. That I’ll never understand!”

 

“Yeah, that was weird. I honestly think as soon as Varda Hallowed them trouble was bound to happen. Morgoth feared Varda more than any other Vala and I swear he went after those gems just to spite her.”

 

“I thought it was Fëanor he feared the most. At least that was how my atars told it.”

 

“No, he didn’t fear my brother. But we certainly provided the dynamic that bore the most fruit for his poisonous whispers. And he used it to drive a dangerous wedge between us and our people. He was very good at causing strife, I’ll give him that. But I don’t know what his deal was. He had been given the most and only used it to destroy. He never created a single thing that was of beauty or in any way useful. Every one of his siblings had but a single talent and they all used theirs to create wonders in this world.”

 

“Even Mandos?”

 

“His realm is the only place that is actually in a separate reality than the rest of Eä. This physical realm they created with the Great Music and Ilúvatar spoke into Being. The Halls has its reality based on the Timeless Halls and is connected directly to it. It’s a place where fëar can rest in safety until we’re ready to either move on, like the fëar of mankind, or to leave the Halls and take up our lives once more. But Lord Námo must obey when certain conditions are demanded by his superiors.”

 

“Why did he choose you?” Elrond asked.

 

“I have the ability to make people wish to leave my presence.” Fingolfin said smugly, causing Elrond to laugh in surprised delight.

 

“How is that valuable to the Doomsman?”

 

“Truthfully, he really doesn’t like people lingering. So if he has someone who can nag at them, causing them to remove themselves, then it’s all to his purpose.” and then he leaned over and said conspiratorially, “Know what else? The Halls look nothing like what the dead see. When I was changed I saw what they really look like and he’s got his own version of Irmo’s gardens in there. Aaannd, he looks just like his brother.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yep! And yes, I was surprised too. All we did was argue when I was there. And played strategy games.”

 

Chuckling, Elrond said, “You like him, don’t you?” and then sobering, said, “I’m so sorry, my lord. For everything. The way I’ve disrespected you all these years. I can’t explain why I behaved so churlishly towards you.”

 

“Can’t you?” Fingolfin asked with a lifted brow, but his expression was kind.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Your atars were the sons of my brother and that means they were raised with all his prejudices towards me. There’s no way that didn’t color how they viewed me and no doubt, spoke of me.”

 

“But….they admired you. Spoke in admiration for your deeds when you challenged Morgoth. And I honestly can’t recall them ever saying anything derogatory about you.”

 

“Did they need to? A tone of voice. A certain kind of look if I was mentioned. They didn’t need to say anything negative about me for you and your brother to pick up on it.” Fingolfin shrugged and Elrond closed his eyes and knew he was right. Fingolfin nudged him and smiled, “It’s ok, you know. I never took it personally. How could I? We didn’t know each other, so I knew it wasn’t personal, per se. I figured it might have just been passive aggression from your atars and they probably didn’t even realize it themselves.”

 

Sighing, Elrond said, “I wonder how many times I did that to my own children and didn’t realize I was coloring their outlook on things. I think you know that my son was betrothed to King Thranduil’s daughter many millennia ago. And after my wife was injured they lost their minds and went on a rampage killing every orc they came across in revenge and I did nothing to stop them. Then I heard she’d sailed with all their family and I...I just didn’t understand why.” taking a deep breath, he continued, “I just found out that back when Thranduil’s son was injured she’d begged him to come and help and my son just….dismissed her concerns. And now I have to wonder if it was my fault that he was so cavalier with her affections.”

 

“That I can’t answer. I don’t suppose anyone but they can answer that question. But it seems to me they’ve reconciled, so perhaps you should just leave it in their hands and let things play out as they will. They’ll tell you when they’re ready.”

 

“Thank you, haru.” Elrond said, using the familial term for the first time and he could see it pleased Fingolfin to hear it. Continuing he said, “I came to apologize to you and here you are comforting me instead.”

 

“I suppose it comes with the title. Something I hope you’ll find out sooner rather than later. Do I have hope that Elrohir has met someone?”

 

“Actually, I think he’s rather sweet on his friend’s daughter and it absolutely horrifies him.”

 

“Oh dear. That could get awkward!” Fingolfin chuckled, adding, “My only advice would be to let them deal with it themselves. Be there if they need to talk and listen to them. I seriously advise you not to advise them at all. Just listen.”

 

“Is that what you did?”

 

“Yes, but mostly because my wife is wiser than I am. So, I can honestly say I had no involvement in any of my children’s love lives, nor did they feel the need to consult with me. Just as my parents had nothing to do with mine or my siblings. Just as your parents had nothing to do with you or your brother’s. Some things are better left to the people involved and parental interference is neither welcomed or needed.”

 

“But you just said…”

 

“I said to be there if they wish to speak with you about it. Not that I expected they would. Recall you were completely in the dark about what occurred with your son and the king’s daughter. If he’d felt the need to speak with you I’m sure he would have. My guess is he kept it to himself. And by that I mean he probably didn’t even share it with his brother.”

 

“And I was probably too self absorbed to see it even if they were inclined to.”

 

“Not self absorbed. But perhaps there might have been a desire on his part to not be a further burden to you. Especially over something that was too late to repair at the time.” Fingolfin smiled and added, “But come! Walk with me. There is mischief afoot and I want to watch!”

 

~0~

 

Elrond felt ridiculous. Here he was….a grown ellon and distinguished lore master! Lord of Imladris and holder of one of the Three Rings! Laying on his belly in a clump of bushes and peering out through the leaves like an errant schoolboy at….Well he wasn’t exactly sure what he was looking at or why his grandfather wanted to observe. 

 

And that was the only thing that didn’t make this utterly humiliating! The fact his grandfather, former High King of the Noldor in Beleriand, was laying right next to him peering out of the same clump of leaves as himself. Although, to be fair, he seemed to see exactly what he was looking for if the ecstatic grin splitting his face was anything to go by!

 

Taking a breath to demand to know what they were doing here, his grandfather cut him off, directing him to mind-speak. Rolling his eyes, Elrond tried not to shout when asking, What are we doing here?

 

King Thranduil gave leave to your uncles to encourage these Noldor to leave. I think he’s becoming weary of them. And I can’t say I blame him. 

 

Why? Have they become troublesome?

 

They have! Most are spoiled Nobles and lack the manners and appropriate comportment of visiting dignitaries let alone as guests to a separate kingdom. I can tell you they would never behave this way in Valimar. Or Alqualondë. But that’s not why we’re here, Elrond! Look!

 

And Elrond did look and wasn’t sure what he was seeing. A mist was rising and it seemed to move like a living thing - swirling and seeking and clinging to any and everything! What….?

 

It’s them! Your uncles! They have a very strong elemental power! They’ve called the forest creatures to their aid and can command the very elements to do their bidding. It’s been quite amusing to watch. I have to give it to the Noldor for not quitting the place...though I have to say it’s only the most intransigent who remain. There’s been a definite thinning of their ranks.

 

You can feel it when they use such magic?

 

Of course! And see there - Aiwendil and Olórin have come to watch. And Elrond could hear the amusement in his thought.

 

And Elrond could perceive them with his grandfather’s assistance and they seemed to be enjoying this every bit as much as Fingolfin was and Elrond let the thought slip…, You’re all acting like a bunch of children!

 

Oh, you’re just being a stuffed shirt, Elrond! Let your braids loose and lighten up!

 

And Elrond looked at his grandfather askance, thinking he was the only grown up observing this and for the first time wondered at the nature of the ainu!

 






        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List