Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 14. Pouncing on Fredegar

By the time Anise Grubb returned to the Cotton Farm just before sunrise, they’d managed to get several teacups’ worth of good food—apple compote, custard, and lightly scrambled eggs with minced bacon mixed in—into Fredegar. She pronounced herself satisfied, told them to keep up the good work, and promised to return later that day. Rosamunda arose from her bed, all the better for the rest, and was able to greet her son with a smile and some breakfast.

’Are you tiring of milk toast, my love?’ she asked fondly. Freddy closed his eyes in exasperation and his mother chuckled. ‘Yes, dearie,’ she said. ‘We are feeding you again, so you might as well eat it up quickly, if you want time to rest between feedings.’

When he’d finished, she stroked his hair back from his forehead. ‘You’re as shaggy as a sheep in the springtime,’ she murmured, and he winced, his look turning inwards again. ‘Don’t go away like that, Freddy-lad,’ she said sharply. ‘Freddy!’

’What’s wrong, cousin Rosa?’ Frodo said, entering the room with a tray. Putting the tray down, he proceeded to pour out tea for the two of them.

’He’s gone off again,’ Rosamunda said. ‘I mentioned him needing a haircut and he went away. I cannot seem to bring him back.’

’At least he won’t wriggle when you cut his hair,’ Frodo said practically. ‘Do you remember the time I visited, and Estella awakened before the rest of the household and gave Freddy and me haircuts as we slept?’ He’d worn a cap for days afterward, refusing to take it off even when chided for rudeness by old Master Rorimac.

He poked Freddy. ‘Freddy, you do remember Estella’s skill with shears, do you not?’ Freddy moved irritably, but at least he was attending to the conversation. Frodo and Rosamunda sat quietly conversing until Mistress Cotton appeared with a covered cup.

’Here we are!’ she carolled, ‘Lovely coddled eggs mixed up with a bit of buttered toast.’

Frodo poked Freddy again. ‘Wakey, wakey!’ he said cheerily. ‘That’s what Pippin always says when he wants to annoy me.’

’It’s a traditional phrase amongst the Tooks,’ Rosamunda said dryly.

’Leave me be,’ Freddy whispered, turning his face away.

’Well,’ Frodo said, raising his eyebrows. ‘We got three words out of him that time. I think he’s improving!’ He reached for cup and spoon. ‘If I may, Mrs Cotton...’

’Be my guest,’ Mrs Cotton smiled, handing him the cup. ‘I’ve a cock-a-leekie soup wanting my attention at the moment!’ She nodded to Rosamunda and left the room.

’All right, cousin,’ Frodo said. ‘You’ve a name to regain and a reputation to live up to. Where would the gossips of the Shire be without a “Fatty Bolger” to toast with their teacups, eh? Just think, you haven’t sent Merry a waggonload of apples in months!’

Rosamunda smiled at Frodo’s nonsense, even as he badgered and bullied Freddy into eating the entire cupful of food.

So it went through the day. When Odovacar returned from Tuckborough at teatime, he was surprised to see his son taking solid food, even if it required patient coaxing on Samwise’s part.

’Come, Master Freddy,’ the gardener said. ‘My old gaffer grew these potatoes himself, and Rosie has done them to a turn, I’ll have you know. Don’t you let them go to waste!’ He looked up and rose hastily. ‘Good day, Mr Bolger,’ he said formally.

Odo waved him back to his chair. ‘Sit down; it looks as if you’re doing a fine job.’

Sam sat back down and brought another spoonful of creamy potatoes mixed with melting cheese to Freddy’s mouth. ‘He’s doing all the work, sir,’ he said. And hard work he is making of it, he added to himself. He acts as if we’re tormenting him with each mouthful.

Rosamunda entered with a kiss for her husband. ‘Where’s Estella?’ she asked.

He returned the kiss, then put his arm around her. He’d had a long ride from Tuckborough to decide exactly what he was going to say in Fredegar's presence. ‘The Tooks have put her away for safekeeping,’ he said, ‘and with ruffians still to be found in the Shire, they’re a bit too busy to fetch her back again.’

’More pity the Tooks,’ Frodo said, coming in. ‘I don’t know what’s worse, a few score of ruffians to hunt down, or Estella set amongst them like a cat amongst the pigeons.’

’What in the world do you mean?’ Rosamunda asked, and Frodo laughed.

’She likes to pounce on people,’ he said simply. ‘Take it from me, I’ve been pounced upon plenty!’ The Bolgers laughed, remembering notable occasions, and even Freddy smiled faintly, a fact that did not escape Frodo’s notice.

’Just as well the Tooks are sitting on her somewhere,’ he continued. ‘Were she here, she’d probably bounce Freddy right out of the bed and into mischief.’

’No doubt,’ Freddy whispered, and his parents exchanged hopeful glances.

’You’re looking much better than when last I saw you, son,’ Odo said. ‘I think we’ll stay here a few days at the Cottons’ if you don’t mind.’

’I don’t mind,’ Freddy answered, his voice growing stronger, ‘if only they’d leave off stuffing my face every hour of the day.’ He sounded more the old Freddy, in tone if not in words, and Frodo felt a tightness ease inside of himself.

’That’ll continue until you’re back on your feet, so you might as well set your mind to making a quick recovery,’ Frodo said with a mock scowl, hands on his hips.

’Just one more bite,’ Samwise broke in, hefting the spoon. Freddy reached for it with his right hand, noticing the bandages as if for the first time. ‘Let me, Mr Freddy,’ Sam said, popping the spoon into Fredegar’s mouth.

Freddy chewed and swallowed. ‘What mischief have I done to my hand?’ he asked.

’You’ve broken some fingers,’ Frodo answered. ‘Don’t you remember?’

Freddy furrowed his brow. ‘No,’ he admitted. ‘Everything seems to be foggy at the moment.’

’It’ll all come clear to you in time,’ Frodo said. He shook his head slightly at Odo and Rosa. Now is not the time. They nodded at the tacit warning and Rosamunda sat down, taking Freddy’s left hand in her own, directing the conversation to safer matters.

The healer was very happy to find Freddy lucid and no longer refusing food, though he still did not ask for anything, being content to be fed whatever they brought him. He meekly accepted each spoonful without enthusiasm, but at least he was eating.

’Why should I ask for anything?’ he said to Frodo after Anise Grubb had taken her leave. ‘You’re just going to bring me more in an hour or so anyhow.’

’Right you are, cousin!’ Frodo said, patting Freddy’s good hand. ‘Right you are, at that!’ He stretched and yawned. ‘Well I think I will take myself off for another nap!’ he said. ‘This business of being a new father is exhausting, what with being up all hours of the night to feed the babe, and all!’

’Waaah,’ Freddy said, in creditable imitation of a newborn, and Frodo laughed.

’You sound as if you’re nearly back to yourself,’ he said approvingly.

’I am,’ Freddy retorted, ‘so why don’t the lot of you stop badgering me and let me get some rest?’

’Hah,’ Frodo said. ‘Your problem is that you haven’t had enough badgering lately, and so we are going to badger you until you’re all recovered and fat as you ever were, or my name isn’t Frodo Baggins!’

’It’s not,’ Freddy said.

’Eh? What was that?’ Frodo asked, confused.

’It’s “Mayor Frodo”, and don’t you forget it,’ Freddy said.

’You did hear me and Merry talking last night!’ Frodo said. ‘I thought you were asleep!’

’How a body could sleep with the two of you jabbering away, I’d like to know,’ Freddy grumbled.

’You may call me “Deputy Mayor Frodo”, or “Deputy Mayor”, or simply “Your Excellancy” will do,’ Frodo said with dignity.

’Just don’t call him late to supper,’ Sam said, and Freddy looked at him in astonishment. He couldn’t recall ever hearing Sam put together an entire sentence before, without stammering and blushing.

’Are you the same Samwise Gamgee who gardens up at Bag End?’ he said.

’That I am,’ Sam said calmly.

’He’s grown a bit,’ Frodo said. ‘After killing a nasty spider on our journeys, there’s not much that can cow our Samwise.’

’A nasty spider, eh?’ Freddy said. ‘Next time I find one on the wall, I’ll know whom to call upon to deliver me from my peril.’

’You do that, Mr Freddy,’ Sam said equably. ‘I’d be happy to pull a few weeds whilst I’m at it.’

’Always ready to be of service, our Sammy is,’ Freddy said. He sighed. ‘I think I’ll take myself a nap, as well,’ he said. Rosamunda obligingly pulled several pillows out from behind him so that he could lie down and snuggle into the cushions on the bed.

’You do that,’ Frodo echoed, patting him on the shoulder. He rose and gave Rosamunda a kiss on the cheek. ‘I’ll be up for the midnight feeding,’ he said. ‘You can count on me.’

He chuckled as he left the room, hearing Freddy’s ‘One, two, three, four...’ behind him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List