Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 25. Midnight Snacks

’Mr Frodo, there’s a message come for you from the Thain,’ Farmer Cotton said softly, bending over the bed with its sleeping hobbits. Frodo had lain himself down upon the bedcovers just as he had during the bone-setting the previous evening, wrapping his arms about Fredegar as Freddy lay gripped in nightmare. As Freddy calmed, both had fallen asleep. Mrs Cotton had thrown a blanket over Mr Frodo to keep him from taking a chill when the rest of the family sought their beds.

The healers had persuaded Odovacar and Rosamunda to go to their own beds and sleep, but faithful Samwise dozed in the chair next to the bed, ready to jump up and fetch anything Mr Frodo might want. He wakened now at the soft words. ‘From the Thain?’ he said. ‘What could it be?’

’I dunno,’ Farmer Cotton said, looking at the missive with dread, ‘but it’s got the seal of the Thain on it clear as can be, and it’s the middle o' the night, and the messenger is a-waiting to take Mr Frodo’s answer back.’

Samwise nodded, and rose from his chair to touch Frodo’s shoulder gently. ‘Mr Frodo?’ he said.

’Hey? What’s that, Sam? Is it time to start?’ Frodo said, startled out of sleep.

’No Mr Frodo, we’re back in the Shire now, at Farmer Cotton’s house,’ Sam said quickly.

’That you are, Mr Frodo, and welcome!’ Farmer Cotton added heartily, for there was something in Sam’s tone...

Frodo’s eyes blinked sleep away. Taking in his surroundings, memory returned. Freddy stirred, moaning, and Frodo held his cousin a little more tightly. ‘It’s all right, Freddy, you’re safe.’

’Home?’ Freddy whispered and Frodo answered instantly.

’No, not home, not for a long time yet, but safe.’

’Safe,’ Freddy echoed, and sighing, he snuggled into the pillows again.

Frodo sat up, but kept a hand on Freddy’s back, a constant reminder of love and reassurance. ‘What is it?’ he asked.

’Message from the Thain,’ Farmer Cotton repeated, holding it out. ‘Must be important, being from the Thain and brought in the middle night.’

’Open it for me, if you please, Master Cotton’ Frodo said, and the farmer, with trepidation, broke the seal. He had never in his life received a sealed letter before, much less held one sealed by the Thain. He was glad to hand off the opened letter to Mr Frodo, for certain.

Frodo read and started up from the bed with an exclamation, only to sink down again.

’What is it?’ Sam asked.

’Merry’s been wounded in a skirmish with ruffians,’ Frodo said, laying the letter down. ‘Thain Paladin writes to me to come.’

’Is he dying!’ Sam said in shock.

’No, the healers seem to think he’ll be well with a few days’ rest and good feeding,’ Frodo said. ‘Were he a Took he’d be out of bed on the morrow, or the day after at the latest.’

’He’s half Took,’ Sam muttered. ‘Are you going?’

Frodo looked down at Freddy. ‘I made a promise,’ he said, and looking up, shook his head. ‘Even were Merry dying, I could not go. Freddy needs me more.’

Sam nodded, understanding, but Farmer Cotton said, ‘We’ll take good care o' the lad, Mr Frodo, if you think you ought to go to Mr Merry.’

’If I could split myself into two pieces, as your Nibs splits the wood for the fire, I might be able to go,’ Frodo said ruefully, ‘but I cannot see my way clear to leaving. I’ll send a reply...’

As he got up from the bed, Freddy stirred and whispered, ‘No. Please, no...’ Frodo immediately stretched himself on top of the bedcovers again, wrapping his arms about Freddy and snuggling close.

’You’re safe, cousin,’ he said. ‘Safe amongst hobbits. The ruffians are gone. Rest easy now.’

’Home?’ Freddy said.

 ‘No, not home, but safe,’ Frodo answered firmly.

’How many times are you going to tell him that?’ Farmer Cotton muttered.

’As many times as it takes,’ Frodo answered. ‘Sam, can you write my reply? Give the Thain my humble thanks for his message, ask him to pass on my regards and best wishes to Merry, and convey my apologies that I cannot come away at this time.’

’That’s an awful lot to remember, Mr Frodo, but I’ll do my best,’ Sam said, his head reeling with all those words.

’Bring it by here before you give it to the messenger and I’ll tell you if you got it right,’ Frodo said. He had every confidence in Samwise, but knew that Sam needed the extra reassurance. If it were a gardening matter, of course, Sam would be cool and confident, but words and writing... you’d never know he’d stood in the presence of the Wise and had great folk bowing to him, Frodo thought fondly.

’Yessir, Mr Frodo,’ Sam said determinedly, and went off with Farmer Cotton in search of paper and ink.

Mrs Cotton came in with a tray, a shawl thrown about her night-dress. ‘I poked up the fire and brewed a pot of tea,’ she said briskly. ‘As long as you have to be up in the middle night we might as well get something warm into you, and I made up some sandwiches for good measure.’ She looked to Freddy. ‘Do you think he could stand some warm milk and honey? I have some here.’

’If he doesn’t drink it, I will,’ Frodo said with a smile. ‘Help me to sit him up.’

Together they slowly coaxed Freddy to drink the contents of the mug, one small sip at a time. ‘He’s as bad as he was when he first arrived, or worse,’ Mrs Cotton said softly. ‘Just what did those ruffians do to him, anyhow?’

’Mrs Cotton, for you own good, I’m not going to tell you,’ Frodo said soberly, and the good farmer’s wife left it at that.

***

’You sent for Frodo?’ Merry said, consternation writ large on his features.

’Of course!’ Thain Paladin snapped. ‘The two of you have always been thick as thieves, and I thought he ought to know.’

’I thank you,’ Merry said with the utmost courtesy, schooling his expression. ‘It was very thoughtful of you, Uncle, and I apologise if I said anything to offend.’

’No offence taken,’ Paladin said, mollified. ‘He ought to be here in time for second breakfast, if not early breakfast. I sent a fast pony along with the messenger, so that he could ride here as quickly as may be.’

’I thank you,’ Merry said, ‘but I doubt he’ll come. Fredegar Bolger is gravely ill, you know, and...’

’Yes, but his Uncle Rudivacar told me how he was improving,’ Paladin said pompously. ‘I’m sure he’ll understand if Frodo wishes to reassure himself you’ve taken no serious harm.’

There was no gainsaying Paladin, so Merry simply said, ‘No doubt.’

The Thain looked down at the tray then, saying, ‘You eat up that liver! When I get back I want every scrap gone, d’you hear?’

’Yes, Uncle,’ Merry said with forced brightness, picking up his fork.

’Would you like me to feed it to you?’ Pearl Took said helpfully as her father left the room.

’No,’ Merry answered ruefully. ‘You’ve hacked it to pieces already. Wouldn’t you like to help me eat it now?’

’No, thank you very much, cousin,’ Pearl said with a shudder. ‘But eat hearty, before my father comes back and stuffs it down your throat.’

’He’d do it, too,’ Merry said glumly, spearing a piece of liver with his fork and lifting it with a grimace towards his mouth.

’Indeed he would,’ Pearl said. ‘He’s very fond of you, Merry, and wants to see you make a quick recovery.’

’If only to get me back out on the field, keeping an eye on that wild son of his,’ Merry muttered.

’There is that as well,’ Pearl said, unruffled, adding, ‘Now eat up, cousin! That’s a lovely piece of liver. Why, my beloved husband would have stolen it from you and consumed all by now, were he not out in the field chasing ruffians.’

’He’s welcome to it,’ Merry said. ‘Where is he? I’ll send the plate out to him.’

’There’s more where that came from!’ Pearl said.

’I was afraid of that,’ Merry answered, and closing his eyes tightly, popped the offending morsel into his mouth.

Pearl laughed at the face Merry made as he swallowed the first bite without chewing. ‘There’s my brave lad,’ she said as if he were five years old again and being coaxed to take a particularly foul-tasting tonic.

Merry ate the disgusting stuff as quickly as he could, finally pushing the empty plate back with a sigh. ‘There,’ he said.

’Bravely done,’ Pearl congratulated him. ‘Now you may go back to sleep for the rest of the night, after you’ve had another glass of water.’

Merry gulped the water, wishing it would wash away the taste of the liver. ‘What’s for breakfast?’ he asked.

’What do you think?’ Pearl said.

’Ugh,’ Merry said with a shudder.

’We’ll make it into an omelette for you,’ Pearl said soothingly.

’Liver omelette,’ Merry muttered. ‘It’s enough to make me get up and get back on my pony and flee to safety. Surely ruffians are naught, compared to matrons bearing platters of liver...’

Pearl laughed and pulled the pillows from behind him, lying him down in the bed. ‘That’s it, cousin,’ she said. ‘Keep your sense of humour and you’ll be out of the bed in no time.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List