Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part 8.  The Wizard Returns

“Enter!” called a voice from within in response to Legolas’s soft tap on the door of his Adar’s bedchamber. He was surprised to find it slightly ajar and allowed himself a small, sad smile as he remembered that Nana had always left it so, for when he was still a child he could barely reach the door handle.

“You sent for me, Adar?” he asked as he crossed the room and stepped through the archway that served as a threshold to the balcony where Thranduil awaited.

“Ai,” he answered with a frown on his face was reminiscent of the one he usually wore when he was about to scold his young son, and more often than not, Tathar as well. Those days had long since passed and Legolas knew he was not in trouble but he felt Thranduil’s disquiet as he kissed his cheek in greeting.

“Something disturbs you Adar, what is it?” he asked with concern.

“Mithrandir,” replied Thranduil as if that single name explained everything. He had told Legolas of the strange encounter, and they both could sense that the forest to the south was not shrouded so deeply in shadow as before, but Thranduil was still curious about the old man’s origins. “I have given the matter some thought and have decided to travel to Imladris,” he told his son.

“Do you think Lord Elrond knows him?” asked Legolas.

“I think it likely, and even if he has not met him in person, I am certain he has heard of him from the Rangers to the north, they are always well informed,” Thranduil replied.

“When do you leave?”

“In a few days, and that is the reason I summoned you, to ask if you would like to accompany me. You have often been away from home on missions in recent times, and I have missed your company. A trip to Imladris will give us time to become reacquainted,” said Thranduil placing an affectionate arm about his son’s shoulders.

“Need you ask? I have missed you too, Adar,” replied Legolas with a hint of melancholy in his voice, showing his love by resting his head on Thranduil’s shoulder as they stood and watched the leaves dancing in the afternoon breeze.

                                                                     ********

The journey to Imladris was free of incident, much to Thranduil’s relief, and he and Legolas spent the days riding together, discussing topics of importance, or  laughing merrily at  the many humorous tales Legolas had to tell of his and Tathar’s exploits during their scouting missions. Mostly they were concerned with pranks played on their unfortunate comrades, such as stealing their clothes while they bathed, or putting insects in bedrolls or honey on someone’s hairbrush.

However, Thranduil was not overly impressed when he heard that on one occasion they had spent the night at a tavern in Laketown, pretending to be drunk so as to avoid having to drink the tankards of  bitter Dwarvish ale the tavern owner had given them at the behest of the group of Dwarves who were obviously enjoying their own.

“I trust neither of you did anything to earn the disrespect of the men of Laketown?” asked Thranduil uneasily, not wishing to mar his relationship with the traders, though he was totally unconcerned about the Dwarf’s opinions.

In fact, Tathar had managed to insult the Dwarves by declaring their ale undrinkable as he tipped it out onto the floor. This enraged not only the Dwarves, but the tavern owner as well, and despite his best efforts, Legolas could not prevent the ensuing argument from becoming quite heated. Both the Dwarves and the Elves had been asked to leave, but not before one of the tables had suffered severe damage from an axe wielded in anger at Tathar, who had nimbly avoided the blow. The tavern owner decided that the Elf was at fault and had threatened to send word of the incident to King Thranduil unless he was paid for the damaged table. The price he had asked for was far too high in Legolas’s estimation, but he paid it nonetheless after securing the man’s word that the incident would be forgotten. He had kept his word, and Legolas had made the difficult choice of keeping the truth from Thranduil to protect Tathar.

“If we had, you would no doubt have heard of it by now. It was many months ago, and our trading continues as normal,” replied Legolas with a nonchalant shrug for the slight deception about which he suddenly felt extremely guilty. He decided now was the time to explain the incident in full to Thranduil, who listened without interrupting.

“I am disappointed and hurt that you did not told me of this sooner, Legolas, but at least you had the sense to try and make amends,” Thranduil said after a few moments of silence that made Legolas feel even worse.

“I am very sorry to have hurt you so, Adar,” he said with remorse. “I will not do so again.”

 “I will forgive you this time, for no real damage was done, but I am concerned that Tathar’s troublemaking tendencies have not diminished, and that he seems to be exerting a bad influence over you. It must cease!” stated Thranduil forcefully. He would speak to the young Elf and his captain on his return, and insist that the Legolas and Tathar no longer serve on the same patrol.

                                                                          *******

Although the journey took several weeks, it seemed as if they had barely left Greenwood when the whispering of the waterfalls was heard in the distance, and soon the horses moved steadily down the narrow path leading to the stone archway that was the entrance to Imladris.

To Thranduil’s relief, Elrond knew Mithrandir quite well, and told the Woodland King that the stranger in his forest was one of the Istari who had appeared in Middle-earth about one thousand years into the Third Age.

“Rest assured he has only good intentions and I consider him a trusted, and very wise advisor, and a good friend.  More than that I can not tell you, other than I know he intends to visit your Hall in the near future. Perhaps he will answer your questions then,” suggested Elrond.

“I will certainly ask!” declared Thranduil, relieved that his instincts had been proved correct, for he had felt nothing evil about the Istar, even before he knew who he was.

“He can be rather mysterious when he chooses, but you can always try a little bribery… he is rather partial to red wine.” Thranduil could not help but smile at that.

“Well, at least we have something in common,” he said, no longer feeling the unease of knowing too little about Mithrandir.

Thranduil did not want to be absent should Mithrandir decide to visit his Halls as Elrond said he would, so the Greenwood Elves stayed only a few days in Imladris, just long enough to rest their horses, and enjoy a few evenings in the Hall of Fire.

                                                  *********

As they approached the entrance to the Elf Path that Thranduil had protected with an enchantment, Legolas was surprised to see Tathar waiting for them, and he rode forward to greet his friend.

“I was going to ask if there was some dire reason for you being here, mellon nin, but I see by the brightness in your eyes that you are the bearer of good news,” said Legolas as he dismounted so that he could properly greet his friend with a warrior’s handclasp.

“Mirieth and I are going to have a son!” he exclaimed ecstatically.

“How wonderful! May the Valar watch over you both in this joyful time,” said Legolas, his eyes alight with almost as much happiness as Tathar’s. “You will make a wonderful adar,” he added as he drew his friend into a warm embrace.

“I hope so. Do you know, I am already so eagerly anticipating his arrival that I do not know how I will be able to last until the child is born,” said Tathar, almost jumping with surprise as Thranduil hugged him briefly then offered a few words of  wisdom, his anger with the young Elf forgotten for the moment.

“The wait is much easier than you imagine, it is rearing the mischievous one that will be difficult, especially if he inherits his Adar’s temperament,” he teased. Tathar looked terrified at that thought, but soon joined in the happy laughter as he accepted the heartfelt congratulations of the other Elves in Thranduil’s escort.

As soon as they arrived back at Thranduil’s Hall, Legolas rushed to find Mirieth.

“You look absolutely radiant, Mirieth. I am so happy for you both,” he said as he hugged her delicately as if she was made of glass, and kissed her briefly on the lips, winking mischievously as he saw Tariel watching them out of the corner of his eye.

“Thank you Legolas,” she said, kissing him again briefly as they parted. Neither could contain their mirth at the extreme look of disapproval Tariel favoured them with, but before she had the chance to speak her mind, Thranduil approached her and began making plans for the celebration he had decided was in order.

“The King has decreed that we are to have a feast tonight to celebrate this joyous occasion,” said Tathar, inclining his head towards where Tariel and Thranduil were standing.  

                                                                    *******

Thanks to Tariel’s skill as a cook, the Wood Elves love of singing, dancing and the fading of the darkness to the south, the feast was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Legolas was both impressed and amused by Tathar’s overprotective behaviour towards Mirieth, until he asked her to dance. Tathar at first refused to allow it, fearing that Mirieth would tire too easily, but was forced to concede defeat when Legolas asked the midwife for her approval, which she readily gave.

Thranduil found a comfortable spot beneath one of the beech trees and sipped his wine, watching with deep satisfaction as his people happily indulged in their merrymaking. For a few brief moments even he forgot about the spiders and other evil creatures that still inhabited the woods to the south.

“Why are you not dancing, Adar?” asked Legolas as he sat beside Thranduil and held out an empty wine goblet for the King to fill.

“I am find I am in the mood to just sit here and watch,” replied Thranduil. “I am glad you are here, Legolas, for I have some news for you that I learned from the captain of the patrols. You are to be promoted to leader of your group, and will be sent to monitor the activity of the spiders and any other foul creatures that inhabit the forest in the south.”

“That is indeed good news, but what of Tathar?” asked Legolas, concerned for his friend, but feeling quite proud of himself, and suddenly eager to lead his first patrol.

“He will be assigned to my guard so that he may remain close to his wife and child. A birth is a rare event these days, and his son deserves to have both his Nana and Adar with him. It was sad enough that Tathar had no Adar to raise him, I would not see his son in the same situation,” explained Thranduil. That he would also be able to keep a closer watch on Tathar himself was a fact Thranduil felt unnecessary to mention to Legolas.

“He had you,” Legolas needlessly reminded Thranduil

“Ai, but I am not his Adar, and our songs are nothing alike… He has lacked the closeness that only his own flesh and blood can give him, the closeness we share,” said Thranduil, smiling affectionately at his beloved son as he raised his goblet to toast their bond.

“Would it be asking too much for you to fill me a goblet with that fine looking red wine?” asked a strange voice from amongst the tees.  Legolas quickly rose to his feet, and instinctively reached for his bow and arrow, only to recall that they were lying safely on his bed. Like the other Elves, he had seen no good reason to wear weapons to the feast.

“Have no fear, if I am not mistaken, t is merely Mithrandir who is hiding there,” said Thranduil calmly as he recognised the voice. “Welcome to my realm. It is fortunate that you did not seek me out a day earlier, for you would have found me absent. Legolas please go and fetch another goblet so that the wizard can join us,” he remarked to show Mithrandir that he at least knew what he was. The wizard’s only response was to stare at the King from under the brim of his hat.

“Your son is favoured with your fair countenance,” commented the Istar as he moved into the faint light of the stars, and watched Legolas run quickly to the table where he and Thranduil had sat for the meal. He scooped up an unused goblet and return in the space of a few heartbeats. The young Elf did not wish to miss anything his elders had to say, and he was as curious as Thranduil was about the strange person in their midst. He quickly poured the wine, and then handed the goblet to Mithrandir.

“So I have been told on many occasions. I have a question for you if you would be so kind as to allow it?”

“You may ask whatever you like, but do not necessarily expect an answer,” replied Mithrandir as he sipped his wine. Thranduil frowned in frustration, but asked anyway.

“I can feel that the darkness in the south has diminished somewhat as you said would happen, but what did you do?”

“I merely forced the dark creatures further east, but only for a short time, since my power is still greater than theirs. You must remain ever watchful, lest the shadow rise swiftly and engulfs you,” he warned, deciding that Thranduil needed to know the truth of the dangers he faced.

“I have increased my patrols, and my people are more watchful. I will know when the shadow returns,” he stated.

“Good! Now tell me, is there a special occasion being celebrated or are you simply having a feast?” asked Mithrandir looking around as if noticing the dancing and singing for the first time.

“A young couple announced they have conceived a son, and we are celebrating,” explained Legolas, who had decided he really liked this wizard, or whatever he chose to call himself.

“An excellent reason for celebration, I agree,” replied Mithrandir.

“You have not yet said what brings you here?” enquired Thranduil curiously.

“I am merely passing through, and wish to learn a little more about you and your Wood Elves. I was hoping to be permitted to stay a few days,” suggested the wizard as he drew a pipe from the folds of his robe and lit it.

“You are certainly welcome to stay as long as you like,” confirmed Thranduil who felt extremely safe with the Istar around

“Excellent, we still have much to discuss,” he said as he puffed on his pipe.

During the three days he stayed in Greenwood, Mithrandir earned the love and respect of the Wood Elves, as he joined in all their activities, and spent time with the young ones. Even Thranduil had to admit that the Istar held the well being of all Middle-earth in his heart, especially after their many private discussions about the evil that was reawakening. Thranduil kept his own counsel when asked what he had been told, but everyone was well aware of the more frequent patrols in the south and north, and the increased correspondence with Imladris.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List