Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part 17:  Renewal

Word spread quickly through the trees of Mirkwood that the King had returned, and as Thranduil and his party rode across the bridge, no one except the Wizard was surprised to find that preparations for a feast, that was to be held that night to welcome the returning travellers back home, were well underway. Legolas and his companions were delighted to learn that it was also to be a belated New Year celebration, for as much as they had enjoyed the festivities at Imladris they had all missed the merrymaking of the Wood Elves.

“Have your people not already celebrated the coming of the New Year?” asked Mithrandir as Thranduil escorted him to the guest chambers.

“Of course, but on the rare occasions I have not been here for the actual feast, another is always held on my return,” he explained as he ushered the Wizard into one of the larger chambers. “Now, you must excuse me for I must go and spend some time with my Steward, who no doubt has much to report. There is a selection of wines in that cabinet over there,” said Thranduil pointing to the elegant cupboard in one corner of the room. “If you wish, I will send someone with a tray from the kitchens,” he offered his guest.

“Thank you, but that will not be necessary. I am not hungry, but I find a nice hot bath, a small glass of wine, and a few hours in that very comfortable looking bed to be a very appealing prospect,” said Mithrandir, rubbing his aching back. They had ridden for long hours each day on the journey from Imladris, and the ground had made an uncomfortable bed.

“Indeed it does to me also, but I must see to my responsibilities before I can do likewise,” said Thranduil with a hint of envy. “Sleep well, and I will send someone to wake you in time for the feast.”

                                                              *******

A hot bath had also been uppermost in Legolas’s mind, and he sighed with contentment as he slid into the warm depths, and simply lay there allowing the aroma of the herbs he had sprinkled onto the water to relax his tense muscles. The serenity of the moment burst like a bubble as he heard Tathar calling to him from the outer chamber. His patrol had only just returned and he had not even bothered to change his typically weather worn clothes in his eagerness to greet his friend.

“In here!” answered Legolas lazily, making no attempt to move. There was no need to be concerned about modesty, for it was common practice among warriors to bathe together when they chanced upon a pool or stream on their patrols.

“Legolas! It is good to see you again,” exclaimed Tathar, clasping his friend’s wet arm in greeting before settling himself on the bench at the foot of the tub. Legolas studied his friend’s shoddy appearance and shook his head in resignation and smiled to think some things never changed.

“Tell me everything that happened in Imladris, and I especially want to hear about Arwen. Some news certainly travels faster than the rest,” he said with a shrug, answering the unspoken question in eyes that glittered with anger.

“I would have thought you would be more interested in congratulating me for winning the archery contest,” said Legolas, deliberately avoiding the issue of Arwen. Tathar, however, was not so easily deterred.

“Very well then… congratulations for winning the tournament, as I expected you would, but not even I suspected that you would also win the Evenstar’s heart,” he teased.

“Nor did I. It seems you have been misinformed, mellon nin,” said Legolas as he turned his attention back to his bathing.

“Then there is no truth in the rumour that you spent quite a bit of time in her company?” he asked as he moved to stand behind Legolas.

“That much is true,” Legolas was forced to admit. Tathar eyed him suspiciously, well aware that he was not being told the whole story.

“Here, let me wash your hair for you,” he offered, pouring a jug of water over Legolas’s head and laughing as his friend turned to glare at him.

“That was the cold water!” Legolas exclaimed angrily. The mischievous gleam in Tathar’s eyes did not escape his notice. “You did that deliberately!”

“My apologies, it was but a simple mistake,” replied Tathar with a distinct lack of sincerity. “Are you sure you do not wish to confide in me? I see another jug of cold water over there,” he said, quickly grabbing Legolas’s shoulders to hold him in place as he tried to stand.

“There is nothing to tell. We spent some time in friendly conversation, and I did kiss her, but I found that I could not give her my heart, nor could she give me hers,” he spoke with a touch of remorse in his voice.

“Why not?” asked Tathar gently, easily realising this was no joking matter, and that his friend was deeply upset.

“Our songs do not sing in harmony,” said Legolas casting his eyes down as he spoke only part of the truth.

“You forget I know you well, I can sense there is more you are not saying,” declared Tathar. “Do you not trust me with matters of your heart?” he asked with genuine hurt in his voice.

“I trust you with my heart and my life,” replied Legolas. “I could not bear the thought of loving someone like you love Mirieth, only to lose to them to the shadow or the call of the sea, nor could I inflict such grief as I feel at my losses on one who loved me so,” he said with such melancholy that Tathar felt as if his heart would break. He knelt down and put his arms around the bare shoulders, hugging his friend close.

“Do not despair, mellon nin, for at least we still have each other,” Tathar whispered tenderly. Legolas nodded and after a few moments more in the comfort of the strong arms, he wriggled slightly and removed himself from the embrace so that he could turn and face his friend.

“You do know that I love you,” Legolas said, kissing his friend lightly on the cheek. Tathar raised an eyebrow at that statement.

“Really?”

 “As a brother, I mean,” he added hurriedly, blushing slightly as memories of some of Elladan’s stories flashed through his mind.

“As I love you,” he told Legolas, wiping away the single tear that had traced a path down the finely boned cheek. “It is apparent that you also spent time with Elrond’s sons and the Rangers, they are certainly entertaining, are they not?”

“Ai, but I much prefer your company.”  

“Naturally and as much as I am enjoying sharing this time with you, ‘little brother’, we have a feast to attend,” said Tathar as he picked up the bottle of hair wash and proceeded with his task.

“You are surely planning on at least changing your clothes, I hope?” teased Legolas, too late remembering the second jug of cold water that now trickled down his back.

“As soon as I finish washing your hair and you have told me about the mischief I hear the King and Lord Elrond managed to make,” said Tathar merrily.

“Is there really any need? You seem to know all that happened already,” commented Legolas.

“I know what your patrol tells me, but they do not speak of the details they consider to be the King’ business, or yours for that matter,” Tathar explained.

“Nor should they, but since we are family I see no reason not to tell you” replied Legolas. He quickly gave his ‘brother’ a full account of the events.

                                                       ********

“Aye, I am aware that there is increasing activity in the south, and I have a mind to speak with the residents of the Iron Hills and Dale once I leave here,” Mithrandir was saying in reply to another question from the Steward. He had answered many questions, after his own fashion, from the Archery and Sword Masters, as well as the  Steward and Thranduil decided to put an end to the interrogation.

“This is meant to be a joyous occasion and Mithrandir is here as a welcome guest. I suggest you treat him with more respect. There will be plenty of time to speak to him about his plans later,” Thranduil said quietly but with an icy edge to his voice.

“As you wish, Your Majesty,” answered the Steward for all three. Mithrandir pretended not to notice the reprimand, and smiled with delight as Tariel approached.

“Ah, my dear Tariel, you have prepared yet another excellent feast, and the thought of that is what really brought me to Mirkwood,” he confessed as he rose to take the elder Elf’s hand and kissed it lightly.

“Of course it is,” she agreed taking a seat next to him just as the King’s son and his friend entered the Hall. Tathar stepped aside as the warriors led a resounding cheer for Legolas and his victory in the archery contest. He smiled proudly and acknowledged them with a deep bow, and  turned to speak to Tathar, only to find him a short distance away talking to several of the maidens.

“Oh, Legolas, I think it only fair to warn you that those lovely young ladies are very relieved to hear you have not lost your heart to the Evenstar,” whispered Tathar with a wicked wink as they took their places at the King’s table. Legolas groaned and looked to Thranduil for support only to see his Adar laughing merrily with the others who had heard the exchange.

“In that case, you had best make sure you eat your fill, for your stamina on the dance floor will no doubt be sorely tested this night,” advised Thranduil when he regained a measure of composure.

“You had better do likewise, Tathar,” suggested Legolas in a sweet, but dangerous voice as he walked over to the table where several of the more ‘talkative’ elf maidens sat. They listened to his words, and then looked past him to smile sympathetically at Tathar.

“What did you do?” he hissed when Legolas returned.

“I merely mentioned that I believed Mirieth would have no objection should any of them care to dance with you; that perhaps it would help restore your spirits. They are very compassionate, and several of them intend to help ease your sorrow,” replied Legolas. The look of disdain on Tathar’s face, knowing that Legolas was right, and that was exactly what Mirieth would have suggested caused another burst of laughter from his elders.

“Very well, I call a truce. I shall respect my beloved’s wishes and you shall do your duty, and we will enjoy ourselves,” declared Tathar.

“Agreed,” said Legolas as the two friends embraced affectionately and then proceeded to pile each others’ plates high with a selection of the delicious dishes that had been prepared for the feast. They had barely finished eating when the tempo of the music changed announcing the dancing was to begin.

“It is good to see them both smiling so freely once more,” commented Tariel as she followed the dancers with her eyes. Tathar was behaving as one who was married should, but his eyes sparkled with merriment for the first time in many years.

“Ai, it makes my heart sing to see Tathar back to his usual self, and Legolas behaving in such a carefree manner,” commented Thranduil as he watched his son flirting shamelessly with his partner. Tariel caught her breath as she turned her attention to Legolas, and a strange smile played across her lips as her eyes glazed over for a heartbeat.

“What is it, Tariel? Are you well?” asked Thranduil with some concern for his beloved old friend.

“What? Oh yes, I am well. I did not mean to alarm you,” she said as she refocussed her thoughts.

“What happened?” asked Thranduil as he offered her a glass of wine. She took a few sips and then replied.

“It is plain for everyone to see that Legolas has the fair features of his Adar, but as he smiled at that young maiden and his eyes flashed with flirtatious mischief, I suddenly realised that in his charming manner he is the image of Oropher when he was the same age,” she told Thranduil who was astounded to hear her words. “Your Adar was also an excellent dancer,” she added softly.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List