Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Chapter 21.  Evil Awakes

There were few places along the mighty Anduin that were shallow enough to allow the river to be forded, but fortunately one such place was on the path between Imladris and Mirkwood. Here a narrow rocky bridge had formed as the river bed fell with the lay of the land, forming a deep pool the waters of which cascaded over the edge of the natural dam as the river flowed onto the sea. There were no trees this close to the riverbank, only a thick green blanket of grass, and so Legolas and Tathar had an unhindered view of the opposite bank where stood the two dark haired Elves they had come to meet. After many failed attempts due to trouble on their borders, the four young friends had managed to be granted a leave from their duties and had arranged to spend some time together, doing anything but seeking Orcs.

“What are they doing?” asked Tathar, frowning in puzzlement as he saw Elladan and Elrohir were both naked and holding a struggling form between them.

“Apparently attempting to drown their companion,” Legolas merrily replied, showing little concern as their friends unceremoniously threw the fully clothed Man with them into the pool. The sound of Legolas’s voice carried across the river and the Elves in question waved a greeting with their now unburdened hands.

“Nay, we were simply trying to ensure that the Dúnedan, and his attire, are properly bathed before meeting Mirkwood’s prince,” explained Elrohir who promptly joined the two already in the water. Estel glared at him, his face reddened with embarrassment and anger, but said nothing. Legolas could see the flash of delight as a wicked thought crossed the young man’s mind and suspected that he was not yet bested by his foster brothers. Estel caught his glance and in the moment that grey eyes held eyes filled with star light the flame of friendship was kindled in both their hearts. He returned the knowing smile and with a wink indicated that the Elf’s suspicion was correct.

With a brief nod and a gleam of mirth in his eye, Legolas silently wished him success.  

“Mae govannen Legolas... Tathar. I do not believe you have met our foster brother, Estel,” said Elladan with mock ceremony as he turned to face the new arrivals who now stood on the edge of the pool laughing at the sight before them.  Estel took advantage of the slightly distracted Elladan and kicked his feet from under him causing him to fall backwards into the clear depths. Elrohir laughed heartily at his brother’s fate, only to find a large wave of water splashing into his open mouth as Estel sought revenge on him as well. The young Man then mustered as much dignity as his predicament, and his dripping wet clothes allowed, straightened his shoulders and walked from the pool with head held high.

“I am pleased to meet you, Prince Legolas,” he said placing his hand on his heart as he bowed respectfully. Legolas returned the gesture and dismounted before replying.

“I am simply called Legolas, and this is Tathar.” Nods of greeting were exchanged and then feeling eyes still on him, Estel turned to look questioningly at the Elf. Legolas realised he was staring, and hastily apologised.

 “Forgive my curiosity, Estel. I have not met one of the Dúnedain until this moment.”

“Nor I a Mirkwood Elf,” replied Estel, not knowing why, but sensing that Legolas had not told the entire truth. In fact the Elf had not, for it was the regal aura and hint of hidden power and majesty of the man before him that had really captured his attention. He could see the uncrowned king, but could not openly acknowledge it to other than Elladan and Elrohir who were also sworn to secrecy.

“Are you three going to stand there all day, or will you join us in the water?” called Elrohir as he resurfaced after pulling Elladan under with him. Legolas and Tathar quickly scouted the area with their inner senses, ever alert to the dangers that could plague even a simple swim.

“We are alone, I sense no one other than ourselves in this area,” Legolas told his friend.

“Nor do I, and Anor is still high in the sky so we need not fear attack by orcs at this time of day,” replied Tathar as he removed his weapons and quickly divested himself of his clothes, eager to join the Imladris Elves in the refreshing coolness. In a few moments, Legolas and Estel had done likewise, and soon the sounds of merry laughter and splashing of water followed by shouts of mock outrage shattered the peace of the hot afternoon.

After a time the water sport ceased to hold its appeal and the five glistening wet bodies settled on the soft grass to allow Anor’s caresses to dry them. The warmth of the air and the energy expended in their swim left them all feeling relaxed and so lazy that soon all but Aragorn and Legolas were lost in their dreams. The Elf and Man talked quietly, speaking as freely on matters both trivial and personal as if they had been close friends for years. Both were surprised at their easy affinity, and decided that perhaps it was because Estel spoke Sindarin fluently and had been raised amongst Elves.

“Have you been to Dol Guldur?” Estel asked as he slid his almost dry shirt on to cover skin that was starting to feel the first tingling heat of too much sun.

“Nay, we do not venture there, the darkness weighs heavily on our spirits if we approach too near,” explained Legolas as he also decided it was time to dress.

“Even now that the White Council has driven the Necromancer from his lair?” enquired Estel with some interest. Legolas nodded.

“Are you suggesting we visit there, Estel?” interrupted Elrohir who had just awoken from his reverie.

“Ai, I am. We have not yet decided how to spend our time together, and I am curious to see that place,” replied the young man, his innocence in regard to the dangers of the wild very apparent to the four seasoned warriors.

“Such curiosity is dangerous!” declared Tathar, who favoured Legolas with a disapproving glare as he gently shook him awake.

“Surely there is safety in our numbers?” Estel suggested insistently. The four Elves exchanged glances that spoke of the naiveté of the young man, and the sad need to take away such an innocent notion.

“I am afraid that your inexperience in battle is showing, Estel,” said Elladan kindly. “You forget that it is barely ten years since Legolas and Tathar fought in the Battle of the Five Armies. They are far more experienced warriors than either Elrohir or me, yet they both think your choice of destination unwise.”

“I will never gain such either experience or wisdom if am not permitted to go with you on your patrols,” came the sullen reply. This was a constant sore point between Estel and his foster brothers, who had no authority to grant his request in this matter.

“That is a subject you must take up with Adar,” Elrohir stated firmly although he agreed totally with Estel’s observation. “For now, perhaps a compromise can be reached. Let us make for Dol Guldur and if our Woodland friends feel even a remnant of shadow descending, we will turn back.” He looked to Legolas and Tathar who conferred silently and agreed. Elrohir’s words made sense to Elladan as well and the destination for their adventure was agreed upon.

 Since the others had journeyed to the ford on foot, Legolas and Tathar set their horses free, confident they would return to their stables.

“Will not the King become worried when riderless horses return?” asked Estel.

“Nay, my horse speaks freely with Adar, and just to be certain, I am plaiting a part of his mane in the fashion that says the rider is unharmed,” replied Legolas giving the animal a final pat once he had finished.

Tathar wisely suggested that they not travel through Mirkwood, but follow the Anduin until it was time to turn inland. It was a safer path that would allow them to avoid the many dark creatures and spiders that inhabited the trees in the darker parts of the forest. They set a slightly slower pace so as not to tire Estel, who although trained by Elves, possessed neither their swiftness of foot nor their stamina, and continued south until the lack of light became a hindrance, finally selecting a small stand of trees beneath which they spent the night.

Over the following few days, their journey was without incident from orc attacks, something they found disconcerting for they were certain it was ill news. Their senses were ever on the alert for danger, and at night there were always two awake on watch. Legolas and Estel shared one watch and spent much of the time talking together and their growing friendship delighted Elladan and Elrohir but not so Tathar. He became increasingly introspective as he distanced himself from his friend rather than voice his growing anxiety over the relationship. The dark looks he favoured Estel with when he thought no one was watching, and his short and often sharp replies to the young man’s attempts to include him in the conversations soon forced Legolas to draw him aside for a private talk.

“What is wrong, Tathar? Are you not enjoying our little adventure?” he asked, placing a gentle hand on his friend’s cheek so that he could turn his face and force him to meet his eyes.

“Ai, indeed I am. Elladan and Elrohir are excellent company, and it is pleasant to not have to make decisions that may result in the death of one of my warriors,” he replied truthfully.

“Am I not also good company?” asked Legolas letting his friend hear the hurt in his voice at the implication of his words.

“Always, mellon nin… at least when I have your attention,” he added unable to stop himself from glaring through the trees at Estel as he sat smoking his pipe.

“Why do you dislike Estel so much?”

“I do not dislike the young one,” he replied unconvincingly.

“You are jealous of my friendship with the Dúnedan!” declared Legolas finally realising the cause of Tathar’s dark mood.

“It is not jealousy I feel, but fear for you. He is a mortal, Legolas. Do not become too attached to him for time will take him from you and I would not have you suffer any further grief. You have suffered enough already,” replied Tathar. Legolas stared at his friend for a moment, unable to speak as his emotions whirled about his heart and clouded his thoughts. He was unsure of whether he was angered by what seemed to be Tathar’s attempted interference, or overwhelmed with love and gratitude for his friend’s concern. He decided it was both, but he sorrow, and fear in Tathar’s eyes was more than he could bear. With no concern for propriety, he drew Tathar into a strong embrace, kissing him lightly on the brow when he finally released him.

“You will always be the brother of my heart, Tathar, and I thank you for guarding it, but you must allow me to choose my friends. I know Estel is mortal, but I feel a connection to him that can not be denied.”

“Your words do little to ease my fears, but since I also look on you as my brother, know that I will be here to offer you comfort when the time comes,” Tathar promised, drawing Legolas into another embrace.

“Legolas! Tathar! Come and try this vegetable broth Elladan has made,” called Estel from a small distance away. He had been sent to find them, but even at his young age he knew they did not wish their conversation to be interrupted. He had often seen his foster brothers resolve their differences in the same affectionate manner, and was happy that Legolas and his friend had done likewise.

                                                               ***************

The next day they reached the village where from where they had taken Mithrandir across the Anduin to Lothlórien after he had escaped the Necromancers dungeons. They made their camp by the river, not wishing to stay in the village that was slowly being covered with vines and grasses as the forest reclaimed its own. A small fire was lit and whilst they waited for Elladan, who was really an excellent cook, to make another simple meal, Legolas and Tathar entertained the group with a few of the songs the Mirkwood warriors sang around their own campfires.

After the meal, those not on watch sought their bedrolls and settled down for the night. In an act that spoke of wisdom beyond his years, and his new found affection for Legolas, Estel feigned feeling too weary to stand guard with Legolas on the first watch, and had asked Tathar to take his place, thus giving the friends more time to talk. Tathar readily agreed but when he turned to tell Legolas he was going to scout the area, his friend was no longer beside him. He had moved away from the fire and was sitting in the lower branches of one of the trees, singing softly as he rested his head against the thick trunk.

“What is he doing?” asked Estel obviously fascinated by the sight.

“Thanking the tree for speaking with him,” replied Tathar with a shrug at the commonplace event.

“Does he do it often?”

“Ai, for the trees of Mirkwood are very fond of him, and love to hear him sing,” replied Tathar who suddenly shivered and looked to his friend who had ceased his song in mid verse.  Legolas dropped lightly from the tree and ran back to the camp, his eyes wide with fear.

“Do you feel it, Tathar?” he whispered as he hurriedly put the fire out so that they would not be seen.

“What is it?” asked Elrohir who also now felt a tingling coldness, that he knew his twin also felt.

“The shadow has returned to Dol Guldur, and in greater force than before,” Legolas said with alarm. “The air has become close, filled with a sense of dread, and just now the trees spoke of three dark spirits that have returned to that place. All the forest around there has grown silent as the darkness engulfs them once more. We must leave at once and warn our Adars of the danger!”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List