Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Chapter 26   The King and Tathar

To fill the void in both his life and the defence of Mirkwood left by the departure of his son, Thranduil decided it was time for him to pursue a more active role in the protection of his realm. He listened patiently to the storm of protests from his captains and, out of respect for their unnecessary but gratifying fears for his safety and the possible repercussions should he be badly injured or worse, he agreed to limit his involvement to accompanying his general on routine tours of the border patrols.

Even though the party travelled on horseback, the journey to the outlying posts lasted several weeks and during that time Thranduil developed an easy camaraderie with his Elves, somewhat reminiscent of the years he spent as leader of the Greenwood army at the gates of Mordor. Similarly, the appearance of their King, dressed in the simple brown and green uniform of the border patrols provided a significant morale boost for the warriors who rarely had the chance to return to the King’s Halls.

On several occasions it was necessary to defend themselves against the Dark Lord’s minions and whenever they encountered spiders or a stray band of Orcs, Thranduil could not help but take great delight in the ensuing skirmish. His eyes glittered with feral pride and his sword sang through the air as he removed some of the evil with his own hands and it seemed the more Orc blood that he was forced to wash from his golden hair and pale skin, the better he liked it. Their King was a fearsome warrior and after watching him fight, the Elves of Mirkwood were pleased that such a formidable opponent was on their side.

Knowing that their King was well used to the comforts of his palace, it came as a pleasant surprise when he allowed no special concessions to his rank and actually enjoyed taking his turn in the daily tasks such as preparing the evening meal or standing the watch. The one thing Thranduil could only barely tolerate, however, was the bathing arrangements. The lack of privacy as he and his warriors plunged into a pool or stream to rid their bodies of the aftermath of battle did not concern him, for he knew  that there was no room for modesty on a border patrol. What he really could not become accustomed to was the coolness of the water. Despite the fact that Elves were not affected by extremes in temperature, Thranduil nonetheless preferred to immerse himself in hot, herbal scented water.

 To the well concealed amusement of all, the first place the King visited when he returned to the palace was always his private bathing chamber and the luxury of a steaming hot bath to soothe aches and pains in muscles that had remain unused for so long. Tathar had casually suggested that perhaps it was not the sword fighting that was the cause, since the King often sparred with his warriors, but the long hours spent in the saddle. Thranduil had glared him into silence, then feigned insult but instead of berating the younger Elf for his disrespect, the elder had laughed heartily for the first time since he received word that the Fellowship had left Imladris.

So it was this day, as news of the imminent arrival of the King’s patrol reached his Hall, there was a flurry of activity to ensure their Sire’s bath was ready for its occupant. Candles were lit, fresh towels and the luxuriously thick bathing robe that was one of a matching pair that Legolas had asked one of the seamstresses make especially for them both, was placed on the wooden bench.  A smattering of the King’s favourite herbs were added to the water and soon the room was filled with a pleasant and soothing aroma and then all was in readiness.

Thranduil quickly removed his dirt and blood stained clothes and sank blissfully into the warmth, sighing with contentment as he felt his muscles begin to relax. He laid his head against one end of the long, wide tub he had built himself, and simply allowed the waters to massage his skin. He closed his eyes and cleared his mind the better to enjoy the sensation.

“Thranduil, hear me!”

He had barely begun to relax when the soft voice whispered to him, and he opened his eyes, startled as he recognised the one who called. He did not believe Galadriel was in his bathing chamber, and he heard silvery laughter that reflected his own as he admonished himself for his foolishness. The Lady of the Wood was attempting to contact him; her gentle voice was speaking in his mind.  

Although he possessed the ability to far speak, he rarely ever indulged in it, and when he did it was only Elrond with whom he spoke. His astonishment gave way to embarrassment as he realised where he was and he suddenly felt decidedly uncomfortable to be sharing his bath with Celeborn’s wife. More silvery laughter sang his mind, but faded rapidly as he sensed Galadriel retreat to allow him a few moments of privacy to dress. He moved into his bedchamber and settled himself comfortably in his armchair and opened his mind once more.

“Legolas and his companions are resting safely in Lothlorien,” she told him with a hint of sadness. “But his heart grieves as does Lothlorien, for Mithrandir fell in Moria, defending them from a Balrog.”

Thranduil could not repress a shudder at the mention of so evil a creature, but his heart filled too with sorrow for the loss of the irascible wizard of whom he was very fond. He wished that he could be there to help his son grieve, but was relieved when Galadriel silently reassured him that his distant kin would do so in his stead.

“Will the quest now be abandoned?”

“Nay. Aragorn has much left to do and will now take over the leadership. Celeborn asks me to warn you that there a new breed of Orc has been seen on the eastern shores of the Anduin… one that seems much stronger, and is unhindered by daylight. You would do well to be on your guard.”

“That is disturbing news. I think it likely that Dol Guldur will attack in force in the near future. I fear we are swiftly headed towards another war,” said Thranduil.

“As does Celeborn, but neither the Elves of Lothlórien nor the once mighty Greenwood will ever allow Sauron to prevail,” she said with utter confidence. “Your son sends his love; do you have a message for him?”

“Tell him all is well here, and that Tathar is as annoying as ever. He knows he has my love, but remind him anyway,” he added.

He felt the soft touch of silken lips on his cheek as Galadriel bid a wordless farewell, and he opened his eyes only to find Tathar string at him with more than a little concern. Tariel had sent him to the King’s chamber with a tray of fresh fruit and cheeses to serve as light refreshment, and he had entered the chamber believing it empty after his knocks on the door were not answered.

“You seemed lost to the world, where were you, Sire?” he asked worriedly. Thranduil was touched by the affection evident in the young Elf’s concern, and wondered not for the first time whether Legolas had charged Tathar with seeing to his well being.

“Far speaking with Galadriel. Legolas and the others are currently in Lothlorien,” said Thranduil with a smile of happiness that did not reach his eyes. His heart was heavy at the news of the Orcs, but he could not deny the joy he felt at being reassured his son was unharmed.

“I am relieved to hear that news,” said Tathar as he set the tray on the small table between the armchairs. Thranduil declined the meal with a shake of his head.

“Help you,” he said, indicating the tray. “There is s bottle of wine in the side cupboard, pour us both a glass while I finish my bath. Tathar did as asked, then walked through the doorway that led to the bathing chamber holding two cups in his hands.

“Does Legolas also have the ability to far speak?”  He asked as Thranduil, once again immersed in the soothing water, accepted the wine.

“My dear young Tathar, do you think he would not have already contacted you or me if that were the case?” observed Thranduil with a twinkle of amusement in his eye as he added. “Your report on my ‘activities’ will have to wait until he returns.”

These last words stunned Tathar. Apparently the King was well aware that he was being ‘taken care of’. Although it had not been his place to comment on the King’s plans, Tathar had dared his wrath and strongly voiced his opposition to the border patrols, he had even gone so far as to ask Tariel to use her friendship with Thranduil to influence him to change his mind. In her wisdom, she had refused to even entertain such a notion, believing as she did that the trips were exactly what Thranduil and indeed Mirkwood needed, and had instead warned Tathar to mind his place.

“I am merely doing as Legolas asked, as he would do himself were he here,” he said defensively, sensing Thranduil was not entirely pleased with the situation.

“I know that you both act of love, for me as well as each other and I find great joy in that but if Legolas were here right now, he would be busily washing my hair for me,” replied Thranduil with one eyebrow raised in query. Tathar took the hint.

                                                  





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List