Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Last Hope  by AfterEver

***

(Lengthy) Story Notes:
*Ronduir and Beregost, Valcirion, Artanal, Telmoth, and Gilbarad are original characters (the name 'Gilbarad' made an appearance in HoME, but his personality and purpose is anyone's guess).
*Asfaloth is well-known as Glorfindel's horse. The names Malfrey and Palaber, however, took a quarter-hour for the author to come up with.
*Elladan and Elrohir were not referred to as Elves, Men, or Half-elven in canon. Since this story is coming from a human perspective, 'Elf-man' seemed an appropriate approximation.
*Gilraen foresighted? According to canon, yes (see the story of Aragorn and Arwen in the RoTK appendix A).
*The Silverstream will be impossible to find on an official map. The author advises readers not to search for it, heh-heh.
* 'Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.' Gildor Inglorion said it first, to Frodo (FoTR: Three is Company). Wizadry as described in the RoTK index is 'magic of a kind popularly ascribed to the Wizards'... and is one way to avoid naming Vilya.
*For the full effect of Gilraen's dreamy-flashback scene, try reading what Sam recited for us of the Fall of Gil-galad simultaneously (FoTR: A Knife in the Dark).

Timeline Key:
1979 - Aranarth takes the title of Chieftain of the Dunedain. The heirlooms of Arnor are given into the keeping of Elrond.
2480 - Orcs begin to make secret strongholds in the Misty Mountains so as to bar all passes into Eriador.
2497 - Aravorn son of Aragost is born.
2510 - Celebrian departs over Sea.
2740 - Orcs renew their invasions of Eriador.

Author's Notes:
*Thanks to Lyllyn for beta-reading and much more (any remaining mistakes are my own). Thanks also to every reader and reviewer. All encouragements, corrections, and kind words were and are greatly appreciated.
*I highly recommend these articles by Michael Martinez (www.suite101.com/articles.cfm/4786) for anyone interested in LoTR research. I wouldn't even know where the Rangers lived if not for the fabulous references found therein.

***





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List