Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Roses of Ilúvatar  by Orophins Dottir

Author’s Note:

Mîr-Gilúviel: Jewel of Giluv's Daughter
Legolas: Green Leaf
Haldir: Tall Watcher
Hirglor: River of Golden Light
Fuin: Deep Shadow, Darkness
Talan: Open living platform built by the Galadhrim in the mellyrn trees.
Adar: Father

Huan: The Hound of Valinor, one of the hunting dogs of Oromë. He was born in Valinor, but his ownership passed to Celegorm, and he followed him to Beleriand. There he fell under the Doom of the Noldor with his new master. Huan’s devotion to Lúthien is legend, and he died in her and Beren’s service. Morgoth had bred the great wolf Carcharoth for no purpose but to slay the great hound. In killing Carcharoth, Huan met his own doom.

For Nilmandra’s elf, some plot development, but also a small island of cheerfulness and total lunacy in the form of a letter from Pippin. All this amidst a sea of angst! There is always hope. . .and Pippin!

____________________

Chapter 7 - Shire Interlude

Almost two weeks had passed since Eldarion had first come to Legolas’ chambers. Haldir knew that the change in the cycle of what ailed the gentle elf had been coming before, but still in his heart did he bless the child’s comfort to his friend.

Eldarion came faithfully each day and sat next to the bed. He studied his lessons there if Legolas slept and talked quietly to him if he woke. Often, Haldir heard the boy telling stories to Legolas and singing songs or reading aloud. He saw Legolas focus his mind on the boy’s voice and knew that this helped him fight the evil that had befallen his body. And, with Eldarion there, Haldir could, at times, convince Gilúviel to take rest for his own body.

Three times since that day in the caves had this happened. The evil seemed ever to bring Legolas to the brink of his death and then depart to allow the shadow of a false healing to begin.

Haldir cursed the foulness of this. He knew in his heart that the surcease would end, and Legolas would again fall into torment. Yet, he was also glad at this respite, for he had felt his friend’s soul slipping from him in the last week of the struggle, the week that Eldarion had first come to Legolas.

Now, both Gurth and Legolas were stronger. Pain there was, but it was such that Haldir could control more. His patients now could sit up a little, and Haldir allowed them more company to ease the weariness of their confinement.

He had come to give the two the draughts of healing he had prepared. Legolas took them patiently, but the child always complained of the taste. He took them, but he complained.

"Be still, Gurth! If they taste foul, they give you relief. The elf does not complain, does he?" Haldir had learned that this was effective with Gurth. The child strove ever to do better than any elf. Glaring at Haldir, the boy swallowed the medicine.

Haldir gave the child water and honey to take the taste from his mouth, and then bowed his head to Sulka.

She returned the bow, and that was his signal that her permission to tend her son was given. He did nothing without it. Sulka listened to Haldir’s cool voice and watched him as he worked.

"Mistress Rose will soon bring food to Legolas and your son. With her, I have allowed Elanor and your daughter Ilika to come visit here. They have promised to be quiet and behave, and I have trusted them. With them will also come my brothers and Sam." Carefully, Haldir’s long fingers continued to clean Gurth’s wounds and apply a fresh bandage.

"Mistress Rose tells me Ilika would ever be by Elanor, and they are almost become as sisters. Would you have me move your son to where the others will sit? The decision rests with you."

"Please, Sulka, join us." Gilúviel’s voice was gentle, never harsh as Haldir’s could be with the woman. "It would give me and my brother pleasure to know you a little." He smiled at the woman.

Gilúviel understood Haldir’s wariness. He also still watched the mortals closely when they were near Legolas. Gilúviel wore a knife at his belt and kept his sharp dagger hidden in his boot. His bow and quiver were close by at all times. They stood next to Haldir’s and close by Legolas’ bed. Two guards of Ithilien stood watch in the corridor. His brother was never unprotected.

Still, Gilúviel knew that Haldir’s fierceness made Sulka afraid. She did not know him as they did. She did not recognize that his harshness was only anger at what he could not heal. Anger and fear for Legolas’ safety.

Gilúviel had seen Sulka’s eyes warily watching the tall healer and seeing the knife that was ever at his belt. Sulka knew it was not a knife of healing. She had seen Haldir sit sharpening it during the night. In the light of the lamps, she saw the strange elven script that curved down the terrible blade and gave it power against even a morgul weapon of evil. His father had given this knife to Haldir when he first became a scout for Celeborn, and it never left him. Sulka did not like that this knife was so often near her son’s body.

Gilúviel knew that Haldir had become fond of Gurth, admiring the child’s courage and stubborn will to live. His spirit was very like the healer’s, though neither could see it.

Gilúviel could. He had seen the tall healer stroke the sleeping boy’s hair in the long nights he watched over those under his care. His fingers were then as gentle as a father with his own child. Only when Sulka was absent and the child asleep, would Haldir show this gentleness openly. Before her, he was ever cold and aloof, although ever kind to her son. She had never seen him smile.

So, Gilúviel smiled at the woman for Haldir. They shared many long hours alone, and he knew her grief and fear for her son. He felt the same for his brother. He also felt her loneliness among the strangers with whom she must now dwell. He pitied her. Here, he had those who loved him and gave him support. She was alone.

Sulka looked at Gurth and saw that he was eager but would let her decide. She nodded to him. "Thank you. Gurth would like to join you. I will keep him company."

Gilúviel bowed his head formally. "My lady, you do us honor. Let me assist you."

With Haldir, he moved comfortable chairs closer to Legolas’ bed. One they padded with extra pillows and to this one Haldir carried Gurth and placed him carefully. Gilúviel covered the boy’s legs with a light blanket and drew a table closer where he could place his food. Sulka’s chair they placed next to this. The chairs were situated so that the boy and his mother had a clear view of the elf lying propped up in his bed, watching them.

Sulka’s heart twisted in pain as she now beheld Legolas. In her concern for her own son, she had never before looked closely at the brother of Gilúviel. Always she hurried in her passing to Gurth’s bedside.

The face was still beautiful, almost ethereal. No pain could destroy that completely Sulka thought. Yet, there was the shadow of so much suffering about him, and he was achingly thin. There was joy, though, in the light eyes that looked back at her. Today Legolas was happy with the warm sun upon his face through the window and the prospect of seeing his friends. He would let the morrow bring what it might. Today he would enjoy as the gift that it was. He smiled at the woman of Gondor and her child.

"We have yet to be introduced to each other. I am Legolas, son of Thranduil, of the Woodland Realm." The voice of the elf was very soft, for Legolas was still so weak that talking tired him quickly. He let others talk and enjoyed listening to them.

"Gurth, son of Adros, of Gondor. My mother is Sulka."

Legolas inclined his head to them. "I am honored to meet you and your lady mother."

"The honor is ours, my lord." Gurth almost grinned at Haldir’s face. He had learned to read the healer somewhat and saw that he was surprised that Gurth knew the courteous forms.

Gurth had been studying Gilúviel’s actions carefully through the weeks. Ever did the elf conduct himself with the same courtesy to all, even the servants who cleaned the chambers. Gurth knew he was a prince and this puzzled him.

The first day Gilúviel had arrived in these chambers, he had come into the room wearing a crown more beautiful than anything Gurth had seen in his life. The boy remembered how the jewels in the crown had glowed as the sunlight struck them, like living things. If he was a prince, though, why did he not act proudly as Denethor the Steward had?

Every day, Gurth had seen this prince carry heavy buckets of water for the little maiden who scrubbed the floors and quiet her protests that a great prince should assist her. He would smile and give her the sweets that Sam ever brought to the elves, not realizing how little they cared for them.

Rosie brought apples or dried fruits, and these did Gilúviel take gladly, saving the sweets for the little maid Elwith and Elanor and Ilika. Gilúviel had learned quickly to ever keep a few sweets for Elanor in his tunic. Hobbits he’d learned were always hungry.

Gilúviel had been careful the first time they met to ask Elwith her name and used it always to address her. This was what he had been taught by Thranduil. Among elves, all work had beauty if done well, and respect was accorded the worker. He did not know that such was unknown here in Gondor. The maid had never before been called "Mistress Elwith" by one of her betters nor had Gurth heard it either. The boy had thought long on this as he watched the elf.

Such things were a mystery to the boy, but he watched all the more closely because of that. In his long weeks in these chambers, Gurth’s mind had grown hungry to learn of things beyond Gondor. He found he liked the dark prince more each day, although he knew well he should not let himself like elves. Adros, his father, would not be pleased with that.

*****

Look at that! He’s eaten at least half of the chicken I put on his plate and all of the green vegetables. He’s even tried to eat the potatoes, although I know he doesn’t really care for them. Haldir’s idea that Eldarion could get Legolas to eat was a good one. He doesn’t want the boy to worry, so he pushes himself.

Rosie watched as Eldarion cut cake for Legolas. It was the plainest cake Rosie knew how to make, but the elf shook his head politely.

"I am sorry, Mistress Rose, it does not sit well within me if I eat such things. Forgive me. I am sure it is delicious."

"Legolas, there’s nothing to forgive. Eldarion will be glad to eat your share of cake I’m sure, Gurth will take Haldir’s and my Sam, Gilúviel's. For you three, I’ve baked apples with nuts and berries. Orophin and Rúmil seem to be the only elves who will eat sweets!"

Gratefully, Haldir and Legolas accepted the apples.  Gilúviel left even the fruit, for he ate rarely after his meal.  The elves were polite and saw no reason to tell the kind hobbit that, as a seasoned warrior of the Galadhrim, Rúmil would eat cram without complaint if it were placed before him as what was available.

Orophin might actually like the sweets. Haldir and Legolas wondered at this greatly. That long body did seem to crave more food than theirs.  It did not seem elf-like somehow.

Haldir and Legolas ate their apples and ignored the sweetened cream that was put beside them for their use. Instead, they ate a little of the cheese that Tingalen had sent from Ithilien.

I shall never understand elves completely. My Sam and any hobbit would have layered that fruit with that lovely cream. Still, I’m just glad he’s eating. I wish Elanor were as eager for her vegetables as these elves. Still, she’ll eat them for Orophin. I don’t know how he does it. Look at him with his harem beside him!

Rosie looked fondly at Orophin sitting cross-legged on the floor. As soon as he had finished eating, Elanor and Ilika had both clambered onto his lap and were snuggled against him happily. He was now wiping sweet cream and cake crumbs from their faces with his own napkin. As usual, the girls had lost their own.

Sulka watched her daughter in silent amazement. She had been little able to be with her and had trusted Rosie with her care. Of all she had met in Minas Tirith, only Rosie did Sulka trust completely. There was only goodness in this hobbit woman. She seemed strange to Sulka, who had never known her kind before, but she could not help but trust Rosie.

Now, Sulka watched as her daughter joined the hobbit girl in the lap of that very tall elf they called Orophin. Sulka knew that this one and the one called Rúmil were the younger brothers of the healer. They came to the chambers often to speak to him or sit with Legolas. They never spoke to her directly, but she did not expect it.

Her child and the hobbit looked as if they belonged there in the elf’s lap. She saw her daughter touch the braids of the elf. Ilika seemed fascinated with their silver color and softness, and she watched as Elanor insisted on putting one of the flowers they had brought for Legolas in Orophin’s braid.

This had made Rúmil cry out with mock hurt that he was being neglected as were Gilúviel, Legolas and Haldir. In true remorse, the girls had quickly gathered flowers, and now each elf would have a flower with its stem carefully threaded through the weavings of their side braids. Even Haldir must wear one said Elanor.

Sulka watched in amazement as the small Elanor demanded imperiously that the healer kneel before her because she couldn’t reach him. Haldir had knelt to her at once.

"What color do you want, Haldir? Blue is pretty with silver hair. I gave Gilúviel the red because it is so nice against his black braid."

"I shall trust to your judgment, Princess. Blue I shall have, just as you have given Legolas for his gold hair. Why does Orophin have yellow? His hair is as silver as mine."

"Orophin says he must always wear the color of his princess’ hair. He is my esquire!"

"Ah, that is true. I had forgotten the rules of flowers. And Ilika has given Rúmil a purple one for his courage in battle no doubt?" Ilika nodded happily at his notice.

"It is fortunate that our ladies are so wise and carry this knowledge in their heads. We are grateful to you." Haldir continue to kneel patiently as the tiny fingers threaded the flower stem into his hair. Haldir’s hair was very fine but there was a lot of it, and her small fingers struggled a little. Haldir waited for her to do it herself. Elanor was very independent. Finally, she viewed him with satisfaction.

It had been a long time since Elanor had seen Haldir and Legolas. Rosie and Orophin had carefully explained to the girls that they must not hug Legolas or bump against him because it would hurt him. So, Elanor had been very careful threading the blue flower through his golden braid and had let Gilúviel help her just a little. Softly, she had kissed Legolas cheek and told him she loved him, but she had not hugged him. Elanor still badly wanted a hug.

Suddenly, she found herself swung up into Haldir’s strong arms and around in several full circles. She laughed with delight. "Princess, do you know I am a healer?"

"Yes, and my Da says you are the best healer since Master Elrond. I don’t know of him, but Da says he saved Mr. Frodo’s life."

"He is a very great elf, and he did teach me much that I know. He and my Lady Galadriel left their knowledge with me, and it was a great gift that I can never repay fully. Do you know that healers have rules they must follow?" She shook her head.

"Well, they do, and one of the firmest rules is that a healer is required to distribute the hugs that his patient cannot." He hugged Elanor close. "That hug was from your Legolas, and this one is from me." Elanor buried her face happily in Haldir’s neck and kissed him all over his face.

Watching the children, Sulka saw now what she had never seen before. Haldir suddenly smiled at the young one in his arms, and his stern face softened and was bathed in the child’s light.

*****

Look at how anxious he is to hear his letters. The messenger had brought them this afternoon all the way from the Shire, and Haldir had promised Legolas that after he ate someone would read them to him. I think Haldir thought Legolas would forget to eat if given his letters first.

Rosie smiled fondly at Legolas and straightened the cover over him. He had just drunk the last of the draught Haldir had brought and rinsed his mouth against its taste. Haldir said it would keep the food he had eaten within him, but Legolas worried for a moment that it might do just the opposite. He wanted to hear those letters and willed his stomach to stop churning at the vile taste that had just hit it. For a wonder, it did. He let himself breathe again.

Rosie smoothed the golden hair in her motherly way as she sat in Gilúviel’s normal place. Legolas’ brother lay now on the carpeted floor with his dark head pillowed on Haldir’s lap. From there, he could still watch the face of his brother. It had been a long time since Gilúviel and the healer had been able to relax even to this small extent.

Idly, Haldir stroked the black head on his lap, careful not to disturb the red flower of Elanor as he did so. Sulka had never seen affection so openly displayed among men in Gondor. Elves were strange creatures to her. They touched each other so often, as if somehow drawing strength each from the other.

Elanor and Ilika had fallen asleep, and Sam had laid them on Gurth’s empty bed. Eldarion had come to sit on the floor by Gurth and Sulka. Gurth was just about his age, and Eldarion wondered if perhaps they could be friends.

Bereft of his princess, Orophin walked over and sat between the bent legs of Rúmil, leaning back against his brother’s chest. Rúmil’s strong arms went around his own knees and Orophin. Haldir called when they sat thus Rúmil’s "elfling pen".

It had started when Orophin had been trying to learn to walk. He’d had long legs even then and never seemed able to figure out how to get his feet beneath him. Rúmil had watched the baby’s frustrated attempts and analyzed them as ever. Then, he had put the small Orophin between his legs just as he was now and whispered to him to try again. With a triumphant crow, Baby Longshanks had pushed up on Rúmil’s knees and first found his feet beneath him.

Ever since, Haldir had oft seen his brothers sitting just so, even after ferocious battles with dead orcs all around them as they rested together.

Haldir’s brothers were much younger than he. When he began his training he had told his mother that he still wanted brothers, and she had laughed and said she would see what could be done. He had been a novice warrior already when he did this and soon after Rúmil was born.

While the family was awaiting the birth of Orophin, Lord Celeborn had appointed Haldir as one of his youngest scouts ever and sent him to the lands beyond Lórien. Hirglor had been proud of his oldest son and given him his knife that still he carried. To keep him safe, his father had said.

Always Haldir dreamed of serving with his father once he was good enough. For Hirglor was one of Lord Celeborn’s most feared and trusted warriors and his oldest friend. He commanded Celeborn’s personal guard.

Hirglor had followed Celeborn from Doriath and never left his side. His own body he had used once to shelter Celebrían from harm and had suffered grievous wounds for her. The mothers of Celeborn and Hirglor had been cousins.  In Doriath, the two warriors had been raised together. No elf was more loyal to Celeborn than Hirglor, until Haldir was born.

Watching his now grown brothers sit still tangled together made Haldir suddenly forget war and pain and the many years of battles. Orophin had been such a beautiful and gentle baby. He and Rúmil were still under the spell of that baby, born the night their mother and father had died.

Haldir had lost much in his long life, including his parents and the one to whom he had been betrothed. He still had his brothers. Their love alone had kept him whole.

I will carry this picture with me always. Look at them all and the love they have managed to keep bright and strong through all these long years. There must be a way through this latest darkness. We must find it, all of us together and Gimli and Aragorn and Arwen as well. What is separating us must end. This fellowship and love is what we fought and died for during the years of the Dark Lord.

In Rosie’s humble little soul, a great determination arose. This was not going to beat them. She, Rosie Cotton Gamgee, would stop it alone if necessary!

"Mithrandir used to say that hobbits were amazing creatures, Rosie. I think he was right."

Startled by Legolas’ soft voice meant only for her ears, Rosie found his eyes watching her face as if he could read her thoughts. She blushed and then smiled and smoothed his hair once again. Slowly, he raised her small hand to his lips and kissed it with reverence.

"Thank you, dear. Are you comfortable?"

"Yes, Rosie, I am very comfortable. Will Sam read them now? It has been so long since I heard from Pippin and Merry."

"Are you sure you want them read aloud, dear? They are your letters after all."

"No, I would not be so selfish. I think that all of us could use some fresh air from the Shire. Let Sam read them to all of us. His voice is to me the one that makes me remember all I have heard of the Shire from Mithrandir and others. I wish I had seen it at least once."

"You will, dear. I plan on showing you my garden at Bag End and getting your advice." Rosie shuddered a bit at his tone of now never having a chance to see her beloved Shire, but Legolas was so intent on Sam that he did not notice.

"Well, Mr. Legolas, the first one’s from Pippin. As me old Gaffer would say, hang on to your hats for it may get suddenly windy!" Sam broke the seal on the letter and began to read:

Dear Legolas,

Merry says I should write "prince" but that really isn’t you is it? You’re more of a Legolas than a prince after all. Besides, Gimli would be angry with me. He says elves are vain enough from the day they are born and shouldn’t be encouraged. He said that, Legolas, not me. I am sure you are much less vain than when you were born. Oh, you know what I mean!

Anyway, we are all so worried that you are worse. Rosie writes that you are in a lot of pain. I can’t believe it! You seemed to be healing so well when we left Gondor. There is something rotten here. We Tooks know about these things, you know.

I want to come back, but Merry says we need to take care of things here in the Shire, so Rosie and Sam can stay with you as long as you need them.

The knight of Rohan living here in the Shire keeps insisting that I’m imagining things and that there is no need yet for us to ride forth. He said Gondor’s knight is an idiot. I had to deck him for that remark.

Sam smiled with Legolas at the memory of the gallant knights of Rohan and Gondor. Their friendships had survived so much together.

Didn’t slow him down too much, being decked. I had to run like mad all the way from The Green Dragon. Good thing he’s not as fast as you, Legolas!

I’m getting to him though. I keep shouting "Forth, Eorlingas!" whenever he makes me do something around here, even if I’m just taking out the garbage!

He says I am just doing it to annoy him and is trying to ignore it. But, it’s getting to him I can tell. I really do want to be with you, Legolas. I think you need me.

Sam groaned inwardly at the thought of Pippin’s arrival. Then, he looked at Legolas’ face fill with hope at the words and thought better of his own dismay.  Maybe he does need Pippin? He doesn’t have much left to make him happy these days. If Pippin’s nonsense would do it, I hope they get here quick.

Anyway, that’s my plan of action. Pretty good, right?

I know I am right on this. Merry says Tooks being right about anything could become a dangerous and disturbing trend. He’s grumpy of late.

I can see it myself. Pippin the Wise! Do you think Lord Celeborn would mind sharing his title?

So, until we get there, you probably need to fatten up. Rosie’s a great cook and she wrote that she’s cooking for the elves now.

You really are too thin, Legolas. It’s all that fruit you eat. You need to eat more meat and potatoes. And, desserts! You always used to give me yours. Not that I wasn’t happy about that, you understand! Legolas, has there ever been a fat elf? It doesn’t seem likely, but I always wondered.

I’m glad your brother is there. Sam wrote that he is very nice but doesn’t look at all like you. Says he’s got all this long black hair and very dark eyes. You once told me your father and mother were blond as well. Must have been the milkman as we say here in the Shire!

Oh, Pippin! You can’t have written that, and my Sam just can’t have read it out. Well, the elves all look puzzled, so perhaps they don’t understand. Pippin, I shall report you to your mother for this one!

Mîr-Gilúviel is an even harder name than yours. Don’t elves ever use simple names? Haldir gets very annoyed because I mess up "Haldir, son of Hirglor". I keep saying "son of Huan". It’s all those "h’s". I get confused. Haldir shouldn’t be so touchy. I’m sure Huan was a very nice dog.

Sam was starting to get a little nervous. He had never heard an elf snort before, but either Rúmil had just snorted, or Sam himself was an elf. Sam glanced quickly at the elf to check, but Rúmil now had his face pressed into Orophin’s back, and it was hard to tell. Haldir, however, had a distinctly odd expression on his face. Sam decided to press on quickly with the letter.

Anyway, whose father is named "River of Golden Light"? I ask you! Even "Green Leaf" is better than that! No offense meant, Legolas.

And, don’t get me started on "Orophin"! Took me at least two months to remember how to spell it, and then he went and stuck the "son of Hirglor" on it as well. Just what I needed, another "River of Golden Light"! All I can say is that it’s a good thing Orophin’s a very tall warrior and fierce, or he’d have trouble with that name.

THAT was definitely a snort. Two snorts in fact, followed by a whoop. Sam glanced quickly at the two youngest Galadhrim. Rúmil was pounding his face into his brother’s back laughing helplessly, while Orophin looked as if he’d just swallowed something the wrong way as he tried not to lose his remaining dignity under Rúmil’s pounding. Sam thought he heard him muttering something about Rúmil having been the one to choose the name after all.

As for Haldir, Sam really hadn’t thought that elven eyebrows could go that high.

Anyway, tell your brother hello from me. Of course, he doesn’t know me yet, but I’m trying to learn to be courteous like you elves. Last time I ever talk about you to one of my girls!

Ever since, Diamond has been going about saying in that loud voice of hers that, compared to elves, hobbits are social misfits with the manners of swine. Has anyone ever told you that elven perfection is a little annoying?

There it was from a different direction. A snort. A very quiet one, but still a snort. It couldn’t be? Legolas was not the snorting type. Sam looked at the bed. Legolas had covered his mouth with his long fingers and looked guilty. He had definitely snorted. Legolas Thraduilion, paragon of elven courtesy, had just snorted in a public gathering! Sam knew he was in trouble. Pippin was going to die for this.

Maybe I could use just a little improvement? I used to annoy Master Elrond I think. I don’t know. He did seem to grit his teeth around me at times. Quite often, now that I think of it. Is that an elven custom?

Tell Orophin that I tried that interesting trick he taught me with cards at The Green Dragon. I won a lot of money! I think Haldir is just a little harsh to call it cheating. Haldir doesn’t like to lose at things, does he? Anyway, I owe Orophin an ale. Do elves drink ale, Legolas? If they don’t, I’ll have to find something else for him.

Sam thought Orophin looked as if he had stopped worrying about his name all of a sudden. He saw the elf glance nervously at Haldir. Haldir was pretty strait-laced and strict with his brothers. Orophin felt a baleful glare that had been perfected over the centuries bearing down upon him.

Oh, and tell Rúmil that he’s right. Hobbits really can’t drink twenty ales in a row. I tried it after I won all that money. I only got to twelve before I got very sick. Merry says I ruined his new waistcoat. I still think it can be cleaned.

Rúmil had abandoned all hope and dignity by this time. He was rolling on the floor with laughter. Orophin took the opportunity to quickly gather his brother into the safety of his arms until Rúmil could regain his lost elven calm. Sam wondered, perhaps unkindly, if this was a strategic move to deflect Haldir’s continued glare about the cards.

The Gaffer says to tell you that he put in all those potato sets that you sent him from Ithilien. He says they are such big buggers already, that he is bound to take a prize at the harvest fair. He wants to know if he can send you some Old Toby in thanks?

I can’t convince the Gaffer that elves really don’t smoke pipes. He says that goes against all normal behavior and just isn’t natural, and I must be daft to say such a thing. Maybe you could let him send it and just give the stuff to Aragorn and Gimli?

Sam breathed a little easier. The Gaffer seemed safe enough. Nobody could be upset by the Gaffer and potatoes, and everyone knew Legolas did hate pipe smoke, so that was safe enough as well.

By the way, the Gaffer framed that letter you sent with the potatoes. Says he doesn’t understand half of what you say it’s so fancy, but it does look beautiful up on the wall.

We hobbits don’t usually go in for a lot of that "honor upon your house" and "stars shining upon the hour of our meeting" stuff, Legolas. Why do you think we all thought of Bilbo as Mad Baggins? Even Frodo was thought a little odd. Very nice, mind you, but odd.

Still, the Gaffer framed your letter. I won’t tell you what he’s been known to do with mine.

Oh, save us! Here I was thinking the Gaffer was a safe subject. What must Mr. Legolas think of us?

Sam made himself glance towards the bed. To his surprise, Legolas was smiling. The first real smile he had managed in many weeks lit his whole face. Sam saw Rosie patting the long thin hand with her own small plump one. She didn’t seem upset either. Something was happening there that Sam didn’t understand.

How is your father? Sam wrote that he might come to Gondor, and that he heard Faramir tell Éowyn that it would be the second battle of the Pelennor Fields if he did. Don’t know what that means.

I think your father must be very nice. You haven’t got a mean bone in your body, and you’re his son after all.

Is your brother cranky? If not, I can’t believe all these tales I hear about the body counts when your father arrives anywhere. Rumors are terrible things, aren’t they?

Sam thought Gilúviel looked thoroughly bewildered by now. Rosie, Sam and Elanor were the only hobbits he had ever met. Sam wasn’t sure Gilúviel was quite ready for Pippin. He’d better finish this letter and fast!

Well, I have to end now as Merry wants the rest of this parchment for his own letter. I think he thought I was accusing you of unnatural behavior when I mentioned the Old Toby. You understood what I meant, didn’t you?

Legolas, get better. We really all love and need you so much.

Love and kisses from,

Pippin

The room was silent except for the last gasps of Rúmil still catching his breath from laughing. Sam looked nervously at Rosie.

"Well, dear, I think that was a lovely letter from our Pippin, don’t you, Legolas?" She again adjusted the cover over Legolas. He was so thin, and the breeze in the room was cooler now. He was starting to look sleepy as well. This pleased the gentle hobbit.

Legolas smiled up at Rosie. "I think it is the loveliest letter I have ever had. It’s as if he’s right here in the room with me again. Oh, Rosie! What should we have done without our Pippin?" She bent and kissed him as gently as if he were her own hobbit-lad.

In many ways, perhaps he was her son, as were all these elves. None of them still had their own mothers and few even their fathers. The dark years had been cruel to many elven families. Rosie’s loving heart stretched easily. It could hold all these ancient beings that she loved.

"Do you want to wait for tomorrow for Merry’s letter? Are you tired, dear?" Rosie glanced over at Haldir, who came over to the bedside. He looked searchingly down at Legolas’ pleading face and smiled.

"I think another letter from the Shire is just what my patient needs, although his eyes say he will not be awake at the end or even the middle. I will read you the rest tomorrow if you fall asleep, Legolas. If you promise me not to fight sleep, we can at least begin. If it’s like the last, I’m not so sure your healer will survive it, Legolas."

Legolas smiled up at him and let his fingers rest briefly on the healer’s strong hand. There was no need for words between them as Haldir suddenly bent and kissed Legolas’ forehead in blessing.

Then, the healer resumed his seat on the floor and helped Gilúviel settle his head comfortably once more on his lap. Haldir felt the need for a calm presence as he braced for the next letter. Gilúviel was the calmest elf he knew. Bewildered, perhaps, but calm.

Sam took a deep drink of the ale sent from Aglarond. Dwarves were good brewers he decided. He picked up Merry’s letter and began:

Dear Prince Legolas,

That does look odd. Don’t tell him, but Pippin is right. You really are a Legolas to us and not a prince. I hate when Pippin is right. He never lets go of it. It happens so seldom, you know. You don’t mind not being a prince with us, do you?

What is going on with you? We left you definitely on the mend and now all this. Rosie told me not to trouble you, but it really is bothering me, Legolas. You’re usually the one we don’t have to worry about. As long as you and Gimli didn’t come to blows, you were a pretty safe bet to be alright.

Rosie saw tears in Legolas’ eyes as he thought of the absent Gimli and discreetly handed him her handkerchief. She alone knew how much Legolas missed the dwarf and feared to die apart from him.

How is Gimli? He sent us a quick note that he was on the road again with Aragorn, but we had a hard time reading those runes he uses, so we’re not quite sure where they’re headed. Pippen thinks they have some "foreigner" with them, but I say the word that is smeared by water must be "Faramir". Do you know if he’s with them? If so, who’s guarding the kingdoms? Is it my Lady Éowyn? Tell her that her knight is ever at her service and will ride to her side if she but say the word!

Legolas smiled and surrendered himself to slumber as he thought of Merry’s courage in the great battle where he first served his lady of Rohan. Gently, Rosie drew the covers over his shoulders and kissed his lips softly as she always did before he slept.

Sam wrote that Prince Imrahil has been left in charge of the elves of Ithilien, and that there appears to be tension and hostility among them towards Aragorn’s realm. He said that there was a great host of elven warriors in Minas Tirith, and that they ever watch over you. Are you in some danger in Gondor? Other than being so ill I mean?

I hope this isn’t true. Aragorn sets such a store by being raised by elves that it would pain him to be estranged from the colony.

He’d probably get even crankier if deprived of the company of elves. I think you’re a good influence on him, Legolas.

Still, even though he was raised in Imladris, Strider never does seem to be able to arch his eyebrows as you and the Galadhrim do. Is that something genetic? It annoys Strider so much when you and Haldir do it that I think he must be jealous.

Sam thought at this point that he would lose Rúmil once more, but Orophin reacted quickly and covered his brother’s mouth and nose with his hands. If Rúmil couldn’t breathe, he could neither snort nor laugh.

For Orophin had seen Haldir’s head bend down until his silver hair fell forward and hid his face. That was always a danger sign with Haldir. His next action had usually been a bellow for the blood of whichever elfling had destroyed the talan.

Orophin was not having his big brother’s attention focused on him again! Suddenly, he noticed that Rúmil was starting to turn blue and released his nose and mouth quickly. Now Rúmil glared at Orophin.

Oh, I’m getting as bad as Pippin, aren’t I? Back to the news!

We’ve had a lot of rumors from Bree that something is really going on in Mirkwood. I mean, Eryn Lasgalen. Can’t get used to that new name. Travelers speak of seeing Thranduil’s warriors riding in the general direction of Gondor. One rumor was that someone had even seen King Thranduil himself mounted at the head of his army.

That was probably from some drunk though. Your father never leaves Mirk. . .Eryn Lasgalen unguarded, does he? Of course, Lord Celeborn is close by and could keep an eye on it I suppose.

Legolas, does your father ever wear a crown of real leaves and berries? That’s what the drunk said about the leader of the host of elves as he called them. That’s why folks in Bree laughed at his wild tale. Generally, crowns are of gold or silver or mithril, right?

I wonder though. He did say the elves of the host riding towards Gondor were all dressed in green and brown, and that sounds a lot like your own tunic and leggings. Is that some sort of uniform up there, Legolas?

I expect you and your brother would be glad to see your father?

Sulka noticed that instantly the eyes of all the elves had sought one another, except those of the sleeping Legolas.

"Ai, Valar, Thranduil!" Rúmil was no longer laughing. "Gilúviel?" His voice was a whisper.

The dark prince answered as quietly. "Imrahil would have sent word if he knew. I have heard nothing. Adar has decided that we should not know it seems. I will send forth riders as soon as it grows dark. The men of Gondor should not know we ride. Until then, let us keep still for Legolas." Gilúviel nodded to Sam to continue with the letter.

I am still pondering our course of action, but I think you may see us soon. Maybe Pippin is right. If there is evil afoot yet again, it couldn’t hurt to have what’s left of the Fellowship assembled. Know any wizards still left here? We really could use a wizard.

Haldir bowed his head at these words. His healer’s heart also longed desperately for a wizard. Two or three would be better.

Well, that’s all of the news I can fit on this parchment. Besides, the messenger is waiting in the kitchen with Pippin.

Legolas, I don’t think I’ve ever really told you what you mean to me, to all of us. We love you so very much. Please get better for us.

Your friend,

Merry

Haldir walked to the bed where Legolas now lay deeply asleep. Tomorrow, he would again read him Merry’s letter while they were alone and tell him of Thranduil. Legolas would have to know about his Adar. He saw the happy smile on Legolas’ beautiful face and was glad that Pippin’s letter had come first. Legolas did not need to know tonight. Tonight had been joy.

Mithrandir was right. Hobbits are the most amazing creatures. One has brought Legolas such joy this night, and the other may have thwarted the mighty King Thranduil.

Valar, what is that hot-head of Mirkwood about to bring down upon us? Would that Lord Celeborn were here to advise me! Aragorn must be told. Whatever my misgivings, he is still Legolas’ friend and mine.

Gondor is his kingdom. He has the right to know, and Ithilien may need him as an ally. There is great evil at work here. I feel it. I will send Rúmil after Elessar, Gimli and Faramir. He can take Gilúveil’s Fuin. No horse I know of is faster now that Shadowfax is gone.

Then, Haldir gathered up the sleeping Gurth and carried him towards his bed, Rúmil picked up Eldarion from where he had curled up on the floor and headed for his own chambers. Rosie and Sam picked up the sleeping girls and followed him out the door. Orophin and Gilúviel left together walking swiftly.

In all this, not one word was said. Everyone but Sulka seemed to know what was happening, and what part each must play. This Sulka found frightening. She wondered at the name of Thranduil. She did not know it. She feared that soon she might.

Sulka watched the healer settle Legolas and Gurth for the night and then take the chair of watching by Legolas’ bed.

It seemed odd to Sulka not to see Gilúviel there. He never left his brother’s bedside and slept on the floor in this room if he must rest. She trembled to think what could draw him from Legolas.

Still without speaking, Haldir nodded to her as always to bid her goodnight. Sulka had noted before that he had placed Elanor’s two blue flowers, from his hair and that of Legolas, into a small glass of water on the table. As she looked at the glass now, she was amazed that, despite their haste and urgency, each departing elf had placed his own flower into the glass. Red, purple and yellow flowers now stood with the blue. They were still fresh and beautiful.

Sulka could not know it, but these elves had taught Elanor to reverence Ilúvatar’s creations. Tomorrow the small hobbit lass would see that her flowers still lived out their purpose in Arda and gave Legolas comfort.

Late that night as Sulka sat beside her son, she heard Haldir slowly sharpening his war knife. Its inlaid scabbard he had placed next to the flowers.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List