Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Wrong Path  by White Wolf

Chapter Forty Four

By mid morning, the storm had passed. The sky was still overcast, and the predominant sound that permeated Rivendell was that of the engorged waterfalls roaring down the mountainside. No part of Imladris was ever completely free of that sound, yet today, instead of background noise, the roar seemed tenfold in intensity, testifying to the power of the water, as it made its way down to the valley below. Closer to the buildings were the small but insistent sounds of dripping water. Rivulets, themselves tiny waterfalls, poured from the edges of roof and balcony.

Elrond had been very glad he had not found the need to use Vilya’s power to quell the storm’s fury. He never used the ring indiscriminately and preferred not to use it at all, except in the defense of this elven realm he loved so much. Solemn had been his vow to Gil-galad, when the High King had given him the Ring of Air, in the middle of the Second Age, when Elrond had founded Rivendell. Protecting his home from the Shadow was a necessity. Only needing to save his home from storm damage would have forced him to use it now.

Not long after he and Glorfindel had spoken in the early hours of the morning, the worst of the storm had passed, winding down to a gentle rain that had now stopped completely. Only the wind continued unabated.

As the storm had lessened, Elrond had made his way to Legolas’s room. He had been most dismayed to find out that the young archer had taken the splints off of his hands of his own accord. Estel had told his father that Legolas’s wrists were healed properly, assuring the elf lord that he would have put the splints right back on, if he had suspected the bones were still unmended. That had alleviated Elrond’s concerns for the broken bones themselves, but he was not pleased that Legolas had chosen to be his own healer and make that decision himself. Since Legolas had not awakened during the exam, Elrond decided to speak to the young elf, when he woke up on his own.

Elrond had turned to Estel to say something to him, when Legolas opened his eyes. It was the moan he made, as he realized that he was no longer in the room of his dream, that alerted the man and the elf lord.

“Good morning, mellon nin,” Aragorn said cheerfully. He reinforced his words with a smile. He held that smile despite the fact that Legolas just stared at him with no reaction. The man knew that Legolas usually woke to full awareness in an instant. It was a trait employed by all elven warriors and had saved his life, as well as Estel’s, many times over the years. Aragorn had to remind himself that the elf was hardly living under ordinary circumstances, at the moment.

“Estel,” Legolas said softly. He turned his head slightly and took in the stern countenance of the Lord of Imladris. “Lord Elrond.”

The fact that Legolas had called him ‘Lord‘, which he only did on formal occasions or when he knew he had displeased the elder elf, was not lost on Elrond. “I should scold you for taking the splints off without my say so.”

Legolas looked down at his hands. “They felt healed,” was his contrite reply. Legolas hated to disappoint Elrond, who had always treated him as one of his own.

“But, that does not mean that they were, does it?”

“No.” Legolas looked up at Elrond. “I am sorry. I was just...” His voice trailed off to nothing. Stumbling around for an excuse was not going to help the situation any.

Elrond sighed. “I will forgive you this time, young prince. But, you must let me make the decisions on your health from now on. I know what is best.” He said it as if he knew there would be many more times in the future that this wood elf would need tending. That had certainly been true in the past. “At least you did not try to remove the splint on your foot.” He stared, his expression asking if that was really true.

“I did not.”

*How commendable. You did not lie to Elrond. So, do you intend on telling him that I am here?* The voice of Mordraug sounded in Legolas’s head and startled him. Even knowing that the dark elf had said he would be present there, the blond elf had not believed him, or rather had not wanted to believe him. But, here he was, as taunting and sarcastic as ever. Legolas’s expression changed to one of distress.

The look was impossible to miss. Aragorn did not think it was shame for his actions regarding the splints. He leaned toward the elf. “Legolas, what is wrong? Is your foot hurting you?”

*Will you lie to your friend, or will you tell him the truth and watch as he looks at you with pity? He already thinks you weak, do you want him to think you insane, as well?* the insidious voice challenged.

Legolas closed his eyes. What could he say to Estel? He decided he would tell him the truth. At least, as far as his question was concerned. “My foot does hurt a little.”

*There now. Lying isn’t so bad, is it?*

“But, it does hurt!” Legolas blurted out, in answer to Mordraug’s comment, defending the fact that he hadn’t lied.

Aragorn jerked his head back and then tilted it slightly and looked at his friend. “It must really hurt a lot for that kind of reaction.” It wasn’t clear if he was talking to Legolas, Elrond or himself. He then turned and looked at Elrond. “Ada, I think he needs something for the pain.”

Elrond frowned. There was no reason that Legolas’s foot should be hurting as bad as his reaction indicated. Had the prince really tried to take the splint off and then hurt his foot to the point that he had re-applied the splint himself? He had just said he had not, and Elrond did not want to believe that Legolas had lied to him. It was a different matter, when the young elf usually said he was fine, when he was not. That was a standard reaction from him and Estel, when they returned to Rivendell injured. Elrond never counted that as a true lie, just stubborn pride.

Legolas saw the look on Elrond’s face and knew exactly what he was thinking. “I promise I did not try to take the splint off of my foot,” he reiterated firmly.

“We were not accusing you of it, Legolas,” Aragorn said gently, hoping to calm his friend before the situation got heated.

“No, of course not,” Elrond added. He hadn’t intended on making any accusation. He only wondered what was truly going on, because he knew something was happening, and he had a good idea that it had nothing to do with Legolas’s foot.

Aragorn suddenly smiled again. “Legolas. Your speech. I just realized you are speaking normally again. Your voice has healed.”

Legolas knew that he had spoken normally in his dreams and had not given it any thought now that he was awake. He latched onto that happy event with all his might. He would talk about anything else, while pushing Mordraug away. He returned the ranger’s smile. “Yes. It has healed. It is a great relief to speak the way I should.” His hadn’t wanted to admit to himself how worried he had been that he would forever speak with a halting stutter. His father would be relieved, as well.

“You see?” Aragorn said. “I knew you would be fine. Now, when your ankle heals and Ada takes the splint off,” he purposely looked at Elrond, “you will be fully back to normal.”

*Yes, little prince, back to normal. But, what normal will be for you from now on not even you can imagine.”

Legolas opened his mouth to refute Mordraug’s insinuation and then realized that talking to someone no one else knew was even there, would make him appear as crazy as Mordraug wanted him to think he was. His friends really would abandon him then. *Leave me alone,* Legolas said forcefully in his mind.

There was no answering voice, no taunt, no attempt to bring about more doubts. *Do you hear me, Mordraug?*

Nothing.

*Answer me!*

Still nothing.

Legolas was confused. If Mordraug was in his mind, he could surely hear the young elf’s thoughts. Why would he not answer? Then, the archer realized how stupid what he was doing was. He wanted Mordraug to leave him alone, yet here he was yelling for the elf to answer him. *How ridiculous can I get?*

The continued silence soon brought elation to the elf. *Good. You stay silent. You must realize that you do not possess the power to hurt me. I will no longer communicate with you.* Legolas almost laughed. Why should he do that, in any case. Mordraug was evil and anything he would be merely lies and do naught but cause trouble.

“Legolas?” Aragorn called his name, and the elf looked at him.

“You looked a little lost just then. Are you sure you’re all right?”

Forcing all thoughts of the dark elf away by sheer force of will, Legolas said, “Nothing is wrong, Estel. I am fine.”

*So now you see how easy it is to lie. It will now become second nature to you.*

*Never!* Legolas screamed inwardly. The need to refute Mordraug’s words caused him to forget his pledge of only a moment ago not to communicate with the Avari.

It was at that instant that Mordraug knew he had this young wood elf exactly where he wanted him. Legolas, as yet, had not realized that fact. But, he would. All Mordraug had to do was continue his mental assault, and soon Legolas would descend into madness. Mordraug laughed. Lucky for him that while he could hear Legolas’s thoughts, Legolas could not hear his. His plans could be formed with no chance to be thwarted, and that would make the struggle so much easier.

A frown crossed Legolas’s face, as he heard Mordraug’s laughter echo around in his head. He couldn’t help but sigh and put his hands over his eyes.

Legolas then felt a hand on his arm. “Legolas, please let Ada give you something for the pain.” Aragorn now believed that his friend was being distracted by discomfort in his ankle.

Legolas knew he could not tell Estel that it was not pain that was troubling him. How could he tell the man that he had the spirit of Mordraug in his head, and that the dark elf was taunting him, trying to drive him insane? For that was what Legolas had come to believe. Just saying that would make him sound insane.

Pulling his hands away from his face, Legolas snapped, “I am not in need of a pain killer.”

Aragorn started to say something, but Elrond’s look warned him off, and the ranger kept silent.

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Both Elrond and Aragorn looked to Legolas. It was his room, and he should be the one to decide, if he wanted more company.

“Come in,” Legolas called out. He was determined to ignore whatever Mordraug said to him. He would treat the dark elf’s taunting voice as no more than a buzz in the background.

The twins came in carrying the crutches that they had spent the morning putting together for their friend.

“What have we here?” Aragorn asked, although the answer was plain to see.

“Crutches, of course,” Elrohir replied, rolling his eyes at his human brother’s apparent ignorance.

“It was Elrohir’s idea. He acquired all the materials, and we put them together for you, Legolas. We knew you would not want to stay in that bed very long.” Elladan knew the prince well.

A genuine smile graced the youngest elf’s face. He carefully inspected the one that Elladan handed him. It was well-crafted and sturdy.

*Now, look at that. Your dear friends think you a cripple, and they have made you something to hobble around on, no doubt making you something to ridicule. They are famous for that, are they not?*

Even thought Legolas was tempted to defend his friends, he ignored the taunt. “They are very well made and will aid me very nicely.” He looked at each twin in turn. “Thank you both. It was a thoughtful gift.”

*Yes, thoughtful indeed. They want you to get out of this bed, so they don’t have to keep coming in here to tend to your many needs. I told you so, did I not?*

Legolas forced himself to keep his expression of gratitude in place. But inwardly, he couldn’t help feeling that Mordraug’s voice was becoming more insistent, working its way deeper into his mind. It seemed that way, at any rate.

The twins beamed that their gift was appreciated. It also pleased them that the crutches were practical, allowing the prince to move around without risking his still injured ankle.

Elrohir smiled, when he saw the splints were gone from Legolas’s hands. He just assumed that his father had removed them. Not having the slightest idea that Legolas would do that himself, he saw no need to comment on it. He was happy, though, because it meant that Legolas could use the crutches, as soon as so desired.

“Have you ever used crutches before?” Elladan asked.

“Once, a long time ago, when I was very young, and I broke my other foot in a fall.” Legolas grimaced at the painful memory.

“Well, now you will have a matching pair of mended bones in both of your feet, as well as in both of your hands,” Elrohir remarked. It almost sounded like something Legolas should be proud of.

Elladan took a swipe at his twin, smacking the back of Elrohir’s head with his open palm. He turned back to Legolas, as if nothing had happened. “Crutches can be tricky. It takes a bit of coordination to get them working with your good foot, so that you move smoothly.” He grinned. “If you need a refresher lesson, ask Elrohir. He may have an impudent mouth, but he is well acquainted with their use. He managed to break his leg a couple of years ago. ” The elder twin leaned down and whispered. “Ask him how he did it.” There was pure malice in his tone, humorous though it was.

“I will not discuss that,” Elrohir warned firmly, as he gave his brother a narrow-eyed glare. Turning his attention to Legolas, he said, “I will, however, help you with these, if you wish.” Elrohir turned another hard stare on his elder twin.

Elladan only laughed. “You are entirely too sensitive.”

“And, you are entirely too evil.” Elrohir took the crutch Legolas had inspected and the one he still held and propped them against the wall beside the bedside table. They were out of Legolas’s reach, but that was done deliberately. “Be sure someone is with you the first time you try to get up on them.”

*Of course, he would say that. He does not think you are capable of doing it by yourself. How little faith he has in you. I am not surprised.*

*Shut up!* Legolas shouted, unable to stop himself from responding. The dark elf’s voice was so snide and insistent that he just couldn’t avoid a comment. He was glad that he had enough self-control not to have spoken aloud. How would he have explained that remark?

Elrond had watched the exchange that had gone on since the twins entered the room, with a mixture of amusement and concern. Despite the long years of witnessing, as the twins played against each other, he never got tired of it. Well, almost never. There were times when their foolery became annoying, but he would rather they be the way they were, pranks and all, than to have them at odds for real. They truly loved and respected each other and for that he was very grateful.

The concern he felt was purely for Legolas. The young prince was hiding something. The more the elf lord watched Legolas, the more he became convinced of it. No one else seemed to find anything amiss. Estel had thought the elf’s distracted behavior was just the result of a painful foot. The twins had apparently not seen anything out of the ordinary. Legolas, for his part, had hidden his true feelings very well. But, Elrond hadn’t lived as long as he had without being extremely observant.

The elf lord stood up. “All right, everyone. For now, you all should leave Legolas in peace until mid-day meal. By then he may be ready to try those crutches.” He looked at the young archer to get either a confirmation or a denial.

Legolas nodded, but there was no smile of anticipation on his face. The blond’s lack of eagerness to be getting the means to leave his bed added to Elrond’s concern. He held his arms out wide and swung them back and forth. He looked like he was shooing a flock of birds away. The ‘flock‘, consisting of two elves and one human, reluctantly headed for the door.

When Aragorn saw that Elrond was not following, he asked, “Ada, aren’t you coming, too?”

“I will be along shortly.”

Aragorn shrugged and followed his brothers out of the room. Just before closing the door, he gave Legolas a sympathetic look. He thought that perhaps his friend was in for a lecture from Elrond possibly about limiting his use of the crutches and not trying to push himself too hard too soon, something Legolas was also well known for doing.

When he was sure his sons had left, Elrond turned back to Legolas and sat down on the side of the bed. He looked the prince in the eye. “We are alone now, Legolas, so you can tell me what the real problem is.”

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List