Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Wrong Path  by White Wolf

Chapter Forty Five

Elrond’s question surprised Legolas, although he quickly realized it shouldn’t have. He knew how astute the elf lord was. He debated for a moment about whether to lay bare all that was going on within him. Surely, Elrond would not consider him weak or crazy, if he explained about Mordraug.

*Of course, you must tell him everything, little prince. Simply say that you have the voice of a dead elf in your head. Doesn’t everyone? Elrond will believe you. Then, he will ...what? Slap you beside the head and knock me free? No, he will probably drug you unconscious again. Admit it. That would be for the best. It would put you out of everyone‘s misery. After all, what good are you the way you are?* Mordraug’s laughter rang out again in the archer’s head.

Legolas wanted so much to dispute what the dark elf was saying. He knew it wasn’t true. Why was he even listening to these lies? Elrond was wise and caring. He would find a way to banish Mordraug.

*Just like he found a way to wake you from your venom-induced coma all the while you were here in Rivendell. You did that yourself, or have you forgotten? No one can help you, not Elrond or either of those elven whelps of his, not that human you insist on calling your friend, not that Balrog-slayer. NO ONE else can help you now. Only this time, you are too weak to help yourself. There is only me.*

“You do not want to help me,” Legolas spit out bitterly. He didn’t realize he was speaking out loud to Mordraug. Elrond naturally thought the young elf was talking to him.

The elf lord was startled, not only by the words themselves but by the vehemence with which they were spoken. Legolas must be stressed much more than Elrond had at first thought. So, he decided that, for now, he wouldn‘t comment on what Legolas had just said. Gently, Elrond said, “I will try to help you, Legolas, if you will just confide in me.”

*Yes, confide in him. The more he knows, the more knowledge he will have to use against you. Do you really think he will not look upon you as anything but a pathetic little elf, who hears a voice in his head? Do you think he would---or could---ever again trust someone like that?*

Confusion reigned, and Legolas did not know what to do. He could not see how all that had happened to him was causing a delayed emotional reaction. He tried not to think about all of those things, but they crowded into his mind: being bitten by the snake, the venom that had coursed through his veins, finding out the truth about his mother‘s death, himself dying an agonizing death, returning to life, being drugged into a coma, reaction to the antidote, trouble speaking correctly, three broken bones, discovering Mordraug was in first his dreams and then his mind. The emotional reactions to those things hit him anew in rapid succession. each one a crushing weight that drove him deeper into an emotional whirlpool. He was terribly vulnerable and could not see the effect that Mordraug‘s words were working in his mind. So, it was that he thought, *He is right. Elrond will think me mad and want to keep me drugged. I know he cares, but he will do what he thinks he must. I cannot tell him.*

Mordraug smiled. This was too easy. Even he was surprised. Of course, he reminded himself, he was dealing with a mind that had been severely battered, due in large part to him, he noted with glee. He knew that Legolas, without all of the recent events, would have been a formidable opponent in the mental game he was playing. Mordraug almost wished for such a strong mind to pit himself against. Considering the circumstances, he decided that manipulating a weakened mind to his own will was really much more enjoyable.

Perhaps, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to give the princeling a small break. If he was driven mad too soon, all the fun would be taken out of the game, and he was loving it far too much to allow that to happen. He would have to keep a close watch on things, however. It wouldn’t do to let this youngest son of Thranduil gain too much strength and confidence. Let him think he is gaining complete control again, and then he would reappear and let this princeling know he was far from being in control. The devastation that realization would bring about would be most delicious, and he intended on savoring it.

Now was the time to withdraw. So, as a parting shot, Mordraug said, *I am going to go, little prince, to fumble around on your own. There will be no one to help you now, but since that is your wish, I will leave you.*

“You are leaving me?” The young archer seemed to be talking to the air.

The elf lord frowned. *What is Legolas talking about? Why would he think I am leaving him?* To the younger elf, he said, “Legolas, I do not understand.”

That statement explained everything to Legolas. Elrond did not understand and most likely never would. If Mordraug was truly leaving, Elrond’s comprehension would not matter, and there would be no need to say anything, no need to give the elf lord a chance to have reservations about his sanity. The question was: Could it be true that Mordraug was going to leave him alone? Did he dare to believe it?

*Have you truly left me, Mordraug?* There was no answer. Legolas smiled. He had no idea why Mordraug would just cease his taunting and leave. Perhaps, the dark elf had finally realized Legolas was too strong, and he could not destroy the wood elf’s belief in himself. Whatever the reason, Legolas was not going to probe it too closely.

So, with the Avari no longer in his head, Legolas did not see the need to confess to Elrond or anyone else what had been going on. He looked at Elrond, “I am fine, Elrond. And, please do no think I am deluding myself or trying to convince myself that an untruth is true.” He grinned, thinking, as he was sure Elrond did, of the many times he had said something very similar. “I am just...very tired.” To Legolas’s chagrin, he really was wearier than he wanted to admit.

There was a look in Legolas’s eyes that radiated an earnest honesty. Legolas truly believed his own prognosis about being fine. Elrond, however, did not. The prince really was deluding himself. Yet, the elven healer knew there was nothing to be gained by continuing to question him. Legolas saw no problem and therefore, would never admit to one.

With a deep sigh, Elrond smiled and put a hand on Legolas’s arm. “Then, I will not add to your weariness. Rest now. Mid-day meal will be served in a couple of hours. I will see that a tray is brought up to you.”

Legolas nodded. “Thank you.”

Elrond stood up and started for the door, when Legolas stopped him by calling his name. He turned around and looked at the figure on the bed. He got the distinct feeling that Legolas’s emotions were still in turmoil, though the young elf‘s face was placid enough. Controlling his own emotions, Elrond said, “Yes?”

“Would you please open my balcony doors? The storm has passed, and I wish to feel the fresh air.”

The Lord of Imladris moved to the doors and opened them, puahing each one back against the outside wall. The wind rushed into the room, so strong that it lifted Legolas’s loose hair from his shoulders and whipped it around his head. A broad smile crossed his face and remained there, as he closed his eyes and turned his face to the cool, bracing air. “That feels so good,” he remarked.

Elrond’s face broke into a smile, as well, as he watched this child of nature delight in the strong caress of the wind. Practicality soon intervened, however. “One last thing, Legolas: Do not try to go out onto the balcony by yourself...just yet. You need to have someone with you, when you first try the crutches. Also, the balcony is very wet. It would not do for you to slip in the water and do yourself further damage.” He looked sternly at the often willful prince. “Promise me.”

Legolas opened his eyes. “I promise.”

With a nod, Elrond left the archer to himself. In his heart, he felt that he had just let a perfect opportunity to aid this young one slip by unfulfilled. Logic, though, told him that there had been no way to force Legolas to speak of what was troubling him short of badgering him until he lost control and blurted out the answers Elrond sought. The elf lord could not bring himself to do that. The answers might have been forthcoming, but the result may have proven to be far more damaging. And, working with Legolas after that to solve the problem would have been close to impossible. For the moment, and just for the moment, all he could do was hope that Legolas would open up to him on his own. If not, then other tactics would have to be employed.

As Legolas closed his eyes again, once more enjoying the feel of the wind on his face, he felt more at peace than he had since before first seeing the valley forest with its foreboding of the horrors to come.

The smile remained on his face, and he breathed deeply of the fresh air that swirled around him. Nothing else existed.

~*~*~

Elrond was just passing by Aragorn’s room, when the man called to him through the open door. “Ada, please come in. We wish to talk to you.”

The ‘we’ was soon revealed, when Elrond entered and saw Elladan and Elrohir sitting on Estel’s bed. The ranger was standing in the middle of the room and looked for all the world like he might have been pacing, something he often did when worried or deep in thought.

Elrond noted that all three of his sons were wearing concerned expressions. “What do you wish to speak to me about?” He knew the answer was Legolas, of course, but he wasn’t sure just what particular part of their friends’ life was worrying them.

Aragorn did not waste any time in answering. “Did Legolas tell you what was troubling him? None of us think it has to do with his broken ankle.”

Elrond raised his eyebrows and then shook his head. “I did not think any of you were aware there was another problem.”

“We may not have acted like it, preferring not to upset Legolas, but we all saw that he was acting strangely,” Elladan said.

“Did he tell you what was bothering him?” Elrohir asked.

“No,” Elrond sighed. “He would not discuss it. He must think he is able to handle it himself or...”

“Or, he doesn’t think there is a problem,” Aragorn finished.

“This time I think he does. However, I could not get him to even acknowledge that fact.”

“He does not want to worry us,” Elrohir offered, as a possible explanation.

“Legolas is always considerate of his friends in that way, but I have the feeling that there is more to it than that.” Aragorn added his thoughts to the conversation.

Elrond agreed. He then said, “I have begun to believe that he has talked himself into thinking all is well. The last time he denied it, he seemed to sincerely believe it.”

Aragorn paced a few steps and then turned around to face his father. “I can get him to talk.” He started for the door.

“Not now, Estel. I told him to get some rest, and I would send a food tray up later. He had me open his balcony doors, but promised me he would not try to use the crutches or go onto the balcony by himself. I think he should be left alone for now.”

“And, you believed him,“ Elladan said, not asked.

“Legolas does not break promises,” Elrohir reminded his brother. “That is one thing you can count on.”

“True enough,” Elladan conceded.

Aragorn sighed. “Then, I will be the one to take him his food tray, and I will be the one to help him with his crutches.”

“And, you will then be the one to talk to him.” Elrohir smiled. That was hardly a wild guess on his part.

“Exactly,” Aragorn said with a grin.

~*~*~

After a few moments, Legolas opened his eyes, which glinted mischievously, as a thought came to his mind. There was one way to make sure Mordraug was gone. He spoke aloud, directing his words to the evil elf. “You are a coward, Mordraug. You are leaving, because you know you cannot defeat me. You are as weak as you accuse me of being.” If the dark elf was still there, Legolas believed his ego would not allow him to resist answering those taunts.

There was no response, not even a whisper of Mordraug‘s presence. *He is truly gone,* Legolas thought happily. He was so totally focused on that joyful idea that he did not hear the echo of laughter deep inside his mind.

 

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List