Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Wrong Path  by White Wolf

Epilogue

Aragorn walked down the stone pathway until he reached the center of the garden where the largest tree grew. He stood beneath it and looked up into its thick, green foliage. Even knowing the elf was up there, he still was unable to spot him.

A cheerful voice soon floated down to him. "Come up and join me, Estel."

Aragorn eyed the tree suspiciously then shook his head. "I tried that once, remember? I nearly killed myself. That is one experience I do not wish to repeat." 

"Some ranger," came the mock sarcastic reply, as the wood elf dropped lightly beside his human friend. "Honestly, Estel, you act as if climbing a tree was the worst thing that you could possibly do."

"Only climbing that tree," Aragorn said, remembering the broken arm and bruised ribs he had suffered as a teenager, after losing his balance and falling out of the tree. Then he  grinned. "It is good to see that you are back to what brings joy to your heart." Neatly switching subjects, he added, "I gather you are experiencing no lingering weakness?"

"Ever the healer," the elf said, laughing lightly. "I am fine."

Ignoring the elf's all too familiar words and  determined to convince himself, yet again, that that was indeed the case, Aragorn looked the elf up and down with a critical eye. At the exasperated look on Legolas's face, the man's grin widened, as it did still more, when the elf swatted the man's reaching hand away. 

"I just climbed up to the top of a very large tree, Estel, and then I climbed back down again.  I stand before you perfectly sound.  Does that not tell you that I speak true, when I say I am fine?"

"You've been known to fake it," came the ranger's terse retort.

"I am fine," Legolas insisted. "Just fine."

Finally convinced, Aragorn said, "Then, I am truly happy for you, mellon nin."

"You do not sound all that happy." The elf knew his friend was overjoyed at his recovery, but there was a lingering note of regret in the man's voice, and Legolas was pretty sure he knew what was causing it.

"Must you really leave today?"

He had been right. Aragorn was thinking of the elf's eminent departure. "My father wanted to wait until he himself was sure I was fit to travel, despite the fact that Elrond pronounced me completely recovered two days ago. Now, all of a sudden, my father feels the need to return to Mirkwood, as soon as possible." He rolled his eyes at the suspect rationale of the king.

It had taken almost two weeks for Legolas to reach this point.  He had worked hard to regain all the movement he had ever possessed.  Everyone: Thranduil, Aragorn, Elrond, Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel had all taken their turns aiding Legolas both in his physical efforts to strengthen his muscles and in helping him, day by day,  to move farther and farther away from the small healing room he occupied. 

Elrond had had only a tiny moment of pause, when Legolas asked to be returned to his regular room in the residential wing of the house six days after his father had arrived.  But, considering the progress the young archer had already made and the fact that the neck brace had been taken off that morning, the elf lord allowed it.  After that, Legolas’s progress seemed to accelerate at an amazing speed.  

Stubborn determination together with the inborn rapid elven healing ability had brought Legolas here to the garden just twenty-three days after his fall. 

The emotional scars from what Mordraug had done to him went deep and would never truly leave him, but they had been pushed far enough from his consciousness that his normal cheerful personality had been able to take over.  The elf that Aragorn had longed to see again had finally resurfaced.

Now, silence fell between the two friends. It was as if, by not speaking, they could suspend time and prolong their moments together. Unfortunately, the mood was broken, when Thranduil called to Legolas that it was time for them to leave.

It occurred to both elf and man that this scene was very similar to the one years ago, when Legolas had first said goodbye to the then ten year old Estel.

"You know, we never have paid my brothers back for the prank they played on us," The man's tone was conspiratorial, as he leaned closer to the elf's ear.

"No, we have not," the elf agreed. "We should both think on that and come up with something...appropriate."

"I have no doubt that we will do just that," Aragorn said, completely ignoring the fact that they had not come up with anything 'appropriate' in nineteen years.

Reluctantly, the two friends then began to walk slowly toward the garden entrance. They soon spotted both Thranduil and Elrond, standing and quietly talking together like old friends.

Aragorn asked, "Did your father ever tell you what happened between him and my father when they met after seeing you?"

"No. I asked him, but he would not discuss it. Did Elrond tell you?"

"He said only that they had had a lively, and he stressed the word lively, discussion for over two hours, and that much air had been cleared. Then, he just smiled that infuriating smile of his that always tells me he is not about to reveal anything further. I got the distinct impression that whatever went on between them will be kept as their own little secret, and we will never find out what happened."

Legolas nodded. "I suspect you are right."

"They seem to have become rather closer than they had been. I would loved to have been a little dragonfly on the wall and heard that conversation."

"Conversation or confrontation?"

"Both, I would imagine," Aragorn replied.

By then Legolas and Aragorn had reached their fathers, who were both smiling as their sons approached. Standing nearby were Elladan and Elrohir, both also smiling.

Elenblaith nickered as his master neared, and Legolas rubbed the neck of the gray horse, causing the stallion to snuffle against the elf's chest.

"We must leave now, Legolas," Thranduil informed his son, knowing that any further delay would just make parting more difficult.

Legolas nodded and turned to Elrond, giving him a warm embrace. "Thank you for all that you have done for me. I know you do not want it, but I will be forever in your debt." He pulled back and gave the elf lord a slight bow.

"So will I," Thranduil added, as he grasped Elrond's arm. "We will notify you of our safe arrival in Mirkwood."

Legolas had given Glorfindel a hug and a thank you before leaving the house. He now did the same for each of the twins and added that they should try and stay out of trouble while he was gone. They only grinned at him but made no promises, which was just as well. They couldn't have kept those promises anyway.

Next Legolas turned to the ranger. The two embraced each other fiercely.

"I will miss you, mellon nin," Aragorn said, his words almost lost in the silken strands of Legolas's hair.

"And I, you. Namarie, Estel.  Until we see each other again."

The two parted but held each other by both shoulders, looking into the other's eyes. A world of brotherly love passed between the two before Legolas broke the connection and swung lightly onto Elenblaith's bare back.

Thranduil followed suit on his own stallion, and along with the five guards, who had accompanied their king, turned and rode out through the gate, his youngest child at his side.

Just before being lost to sight, Legolas pulled out of line and turned back to wave to his friends, who all stood and waved back.

Soon the Mirkwood contingent was beyond even the keen vision of the Rivendell elves.

Elrond put his arm around his ranger son, as the two headed toward the house. "You will see him again soon."

"I know. I'm already looking forward to it."

~End~

A/N: Alas, this is the end.  I imagine some of  you were wondering if it would ever arrive. "o)  I want to thank all of you, who have read my tale.  I especiallly want to thank those who reviewed.  I am so happy at the reception this story has received.  I would like to request that those of you who read but didn't review, to please leave one now and let me know what you thought of the story.

I will be posting a new story, called, "Black Mountain" in the near furture.  I hope to see you then.

Namarie for now





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List