Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Just One of those Days  by jenolas

Chapter 2: What Elrond Did Next

The next morning, Elrond bid his errant sons farewell as they left Rivendell with Estel and some of his rangers to patrol the borders near the Shire. Their voices drifted up to him as he stood on the terrace watching as they rode through the gateway,

"Estel, are you sure we cannot go to Mirkwood and hunt spiders instead?" Elladan asked.

"It is not spiders you would hunt, brother" Elrohir teased, "It is those lively she-elfs of the woods." They looked at each other knowingly; they both preferred the merry, easygoing lifestyle of the Woodland Elves to that of the more sedate inhabitants of Rivendell.

"That is exactly why we are not going there." Elrond heard Estel reply sternly as they disappeared out of view. He counted himself fortunate that his foster son was far less inclined towards mischief than his own sons. Estel's more serious nature would serve to settle down their current attack of prank playing or so he hoped. Rivendell had been built in the Second Age as a refuge for Elves and Men who were counted elf-friend during those troubled times. It had survived all the wars of the Second and Third Ages; but could it survive the sons of Elrond!

**********

 

 Peacefulness spread over Rivendell after the twins had left, and Elrond found it very relaxing. There were no irate elves to placate and no surprises until several weeks later, Gandalf arrived unexpectedly, bringing with him a young elf dressed in the browns and greens of Mirkwood. As Elrond walked towards the courtyard to greet them, he wondered if Elladan had managed to convince Estel to go to Mirkwood after all, for he recognised Gandalf's companion as Legolas, King Thranduil's son. He was relieved to find that the prince was here to study, not to lodge a complaint.

"You are welcome to use the library at any time, Prince Legolas. May I enquire what it is that interests you?"

"Thank you, Lord Elrond. I wish to learn to speak and read Quenya." That surprised Elrond, he did not think that Thranduil would allow such a thing. Gandalf picked up his thought,

"Young Legolas is gifted when it comes to learning languages, and there are many ancient scrolls and texts in his Adar’s library that he wishes to study. Several of the oldest ones are written in the language of the High Elves,” explained Gandalf.

"Really? I would be interested to see these works myself. I did not realise that Thranduil horded that kind of treasure. You have set yourself an arduous task," he said to Legolas,    "but I would be pleased to act as your tutor. Come, I will show you the library. I am afraid the lessons will have to wait, for I have much to discuss with Gandalf, but please feel free to look around until I return."

 

Elrond found the task of teaching Legolas to be very rewarding. Not only was the young elf a quick study with insatiable curiosity but he also shared Elrond's love of books. It was also a refreshing change to encounter a young elf who, despite his rank as the King of Mirkwood’s son, was extremely polite and well mannered.   Legolas resembled his adar in his fair features, but was definitely not of the same temperament.

**********

The peace and quiet of Rivendell was shattered late one day, as the scouting party returned. There was much singing and dancing that night, as the young lords were welcomed home. In turn, they were relieved to see that Glorfindel had restored his harp and had even composed an amusing song about the misdeeds of certain young elves. They were also pleased to see Legolas, for it had been several centuries since they had last met. As the evening wore on they were soon reacquainted, laughing merrily and telling tall tales of their exploits.

"I hope they do not corrupt the young Thranduilion to their ways," Glorfindel whispered to Elrond.

"I do not think that likely," Elrond replied. "Although it is not wise to make assumptions where my sons are concerned." It is said that elves have far sight, and this proved to be so when, several days later three young Elves and one young Man stood before a very irate Elrond.

In response to a complaint by the Master Fletcher that someone had been tampering with the practice arrows, they had been summoned to Elrond's study. He did not bother wasting his time by asking if the accusation was valid, he simply looked to Elladan and said, "An explanation is in order."

"It was all Legolas's fault… " he began. Elrond silenced the protests to this remark from Legolas and Estel with a look.

"Continue."

"He was boasting about how accurately he could shoot."

"That is not entirely true," interrupted Estel. "I was telling them of Legolas's ability.   He simply admitted that he had not lost an archery contest that he could recall."

"Your sons, challenged me to prove that what I was saying was true, and I agreed,” added Legolas in his own defence. Elrond rolled his eyes in exasperation.

"What has this to do with the practice arrows?" he asked, having a fair idea of the answer. Elladan and Elrohir were looking decidedly uncomfortable now, neither wanted to speak.

"We actually believed what they were saying," Elrohir explained finally, not wishing to try his adar’s patience any further. "We heard about Legolas's skill as an archer from some... um… acquaintances…   we have amongst the elves in Mirkwood." Elrond merely raised an eyebrow at this, but was not surprised; both his sons were known to be as fond of the maids, as the maids were of them.

"We challenged him to a contest using the practice bows and arrows, rather than his own because we had fletched some so that they would not fly straight and true." What he did not admit to was that Legolas had detected the faulty arrows after the first one failed to hit the target. To uphold the honour of Rivendell, they had been forced to allow him to use his own arrows. It had turned into a one-sided contest, and the twins had conceded defeat.

"I assume these 'faulty' arrows somehow found their way into the quivers of the new students this morning?" asked Elrond sternly. The twins tried unsuccessfully to look innocent.

"I believe I heard them say something about not letting their efforts go to waste," offered Estel with a smirk. Elladan favoured him with a look that said "I will get you later!"

"Estel and Legolas, you are dismissed," said Elrond curtly. "I wish to speak to these two in private." As soon as the door closed, Elrond turned to his sons.

"I am disappointed with both of you. Whilst I have no objection to friendly rivalry, I do object strongly to your recent actions. Firstly, to attempt to embarrass an Elf from our neighbouring realm was a display of very poor manners. Secondly, and this is a much more serious matter -- your interference with the practice weapons was an irresponsible act that could have caused injury, or worse to the inexperienced students. I cannot condone such behaviour." Neither twin spoke, they just watched as a thunderstorm of rage passed over their adar’s face. When he finally calmed himself, he pronounced their punishment.

"I do not believe the Master Fletcher will let either of you touch his arrows, but you will go immediately and beg his forgiveness for your behaviour. When you return, I will have a private message ready for you to deliver personally to Lord Celeborn."

"Yes, Adar," they said with, Elrond was thankful to hear, some repentance in their voices. As they headed out the door, Elrohir was heard to comment to his twin,

"We have really gone too far this time, I do not relish being sent in disgrace to Lothlorien. I am certain Lady Galadriel will not be impressed."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List