Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Just One of those Days  by jenolas

Chapter 3. Beware The Spiders

Legolas and Estel, relieved to have been dismissed by Elrond, left the twins to their fate and decided to find a place to relax. They chose a small glade by a pond and Legolas seated himself in the shade beneath a large willow tree that grew on the bank and watched as Estel idly skimmed pebbles across the surface.

"What is it, Estel?" Legolas asked having caught the questioning look his friend cast in his direction.

"I was just wondering how long you could keep up this façade of 'princely decorum'. The Legolas I know would not let that prank of the twin's go by without exacting revenge." He knew that the Prince of Mirkwood hid a wonderful sense of fun behind his courtly behaviour

"How do you know I have not already something planned?" Legolas replied with a sparkle of mischief in his eye, indicating to Estel that Elladan and Elrohir had better beware.

"Do you intend letting me in on the joke?" Estel asked hopefully.

"No, but you will recognise it when it happens," was the enigmatic reply.

When they heard that the twins were to travel to Lothlórien, Legolas offered to accompany them as far as Mirkwood, for he planned to return home to deliver a message from Elrond to his father. Gandalf had asked Estel to attend to some matter in the south, so he also decided to join the group for part of the journey. Elladan carried the letter for Celeborn and Elrond had elicited a promise from both his sons that they would be on their best behaviour when they reached their destination.

The roadway, which headed into the forest of Mirkwood, signalled the parting of the ways for the four friends. There had been much discussion as they travelled as to whether the twins and Estel should make their way south through Mirkwood, or simply follow the mighty Anduin River to the Golden Wood. Legolas had advised against the forest path, but Elladan and Elrohir were determined not to miss the opportunity to pursue their favourite sport of spider hunting.

"As you wish, but I shall not be joining you, so take care,” warned Legolas as he followed his chosen path through the treetops. His companions smiled as they heard the sweet sound of his voice as he sung a greeting to the trees becoming ever dimmer as he quickly disappeared from view.

Estel turned south and he and the twins followed the pathway that was protected by the power of the Elven King. The forest to either side was a dark, foreboding place and the shining eyes of creatures unknown seemed to be everywhere.

"We will never find any spiders if we stick to the path," complained Elladan.

"I suppose we could venture a little way into the forest," suggested Elrohir. "What do you think, Estel?"

"I think you are both underestimating the danger, but I can see that you are determined to do this. I believe the lair is much further into the forest, but there are usually a few spiders on the outskirts, just waiting for prey," he added with a grin. So saying he lead the way cautiously beneath the trees, searching for any sign of spiders. The initial eagerness to find the dangerous creatures diminished as they travelled deeper into the forest, to be quickly replaced by a sense of unease. Elf and Man both felt as if they were being blanketed by a dark shadow and there was an eerie silence all around.

Estel stopped suddenly, sensing danger but before he could voice a warning, the twins had been caught beneath what they thought to be a spider web. They struggled wildly to free themselves before they could be attacked and called frantically for help. Hearing no response, they looked in amazement to where Estel was standing and saw that he was almost bent double with laughter at their predicament. Legolas was there also, casually leaning on his bow, a look of delight on his face. He walked slowly over to them and took his time cutting them free.

"A well thought out revenge," Estel acknowledged tears of laughter still in his eyes.

"Thank you," he said with a courtly bow. "It was an easy feat to accomplish since I knew my friends would not be able to resist the temptation to detour for a spider hunt on their way to Lothlórien."

"Very amusing," said Elrohir sarcastically as he finally disentangled his hair from the netting.

"Look out!" shouted Elladan pointing to the large black spider preparing to drop from the branches above. This had not been part of the plan, but Legolas had grown up killing spiders. In the blink of an eye an arrow to the head felled the creature.

"Fortunately, I have my Mirkwood arrows," said Legolas smugly, unable to resist the slight against the practice arrows.

The excitement was over, and Legolas lead them to the safety of one of the protected glades. They recovered their wits and took some light refreshment before the twins and Estel deemed it time to resume their journey. This time they heeded Legolas' advice. When they reached the edge of the woods, they said their farewells once again and made their way along the Anduin towards Lorien.

*****

 

Thranduil had been informed by his daily scout patrol that his son was returning and made preparations for a welcome home feast. The prince greeted his father with a hug and handed him the letter from Elrond. Thranduil eyed the missive warily and his features darkened as he read it.

"What have you been telling them in Rivendell?" he asked his son. Legolas had no idea as to the message so did not know to what his adar referred.

"It seems that Elrond intends to come here to view some of those old books and scrolls that belonged to Oropher. You did not invite him, I hope?" asked Thranduil in a tone of voice that indicated his displeasure at the thought.

"No, Adar," came the quiet reply, he would not have dared to, even though he knew Elrond was very curious about the books. Legolas could think of only one who would dare to presume such a thing. Gandalf! The wizard had mentioned something about maps and battle plans that were thought to be lost.

"No matter," Thranduil said dismissing the issue for the moment and putting his arm around his son's shoulder "we have a night of feasting ahead of us."

******





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List