Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Just One of those Days  by jenolas

Chapter 4. Incorrigible Elves

Gandalf had decided to accompany Elrond on his visit to Thranduil's court and they had left Rivendell the day after the young ones had departed. Glorfindel was pleased that Gandalf would be there should mediation be required, but he had objected strongly to the lack of an escort, insisting that Elrond take several guards for protection. Elrond knew full well of the danger of unexpected orc attacks but he declined the assistance offered.

"My skills as a warrior have not yet diminished entirely," he said confidently. "Besides, there are very few dangers we might encounter on the journey that my power or Gandalf's wizardry would not be able to defeat."

"I was thinking more of the danger when you reach Thranduil's court!" His friend said half seriously. "I would find it inconvenient to have to come and remove you from his dungeons should you offend him in any way. Those Woodland elves are extremely fond of their King and are fiercely loyal to him."

"That is as it should be, but there is no cause for concern. Our personal differences do not place me in any jeopardy, unless… " Elrond said dryly, "I arrive with a large guard which might be construed as a Noldor invasion force." Glorfindel laughed heartily at that idea.

*******

The impending visit of Lord Elrond was cause for much excitement and speculation amongst the elves of Mirkwood. Legolas soon wearied of being constantly asked by all and sundry when the Lord of Rivendell could be expected; why was he coming to see the King after all this time; and so on. King Thranduil was annoyed with all the fuss that was being made over "that pretentious Half-Elven" and his irritation caused him to make life difficult for everyone. Although he and Elrond were on better terms than either admitted publicly, Thranduil was annoyed with Legolas. Not only because he held Elrond in high esteem, and was friends with those 'disreputable twins' into the bargain, but also he had decided his son was to blame for the causing so much disruption to the daily routines. Legolas, in turn, was regretting having told Elrond of his adar’s books in the first place.

Finally the scouts who patrolled Mirkwood's borders sent a message to inform the palace that Elrond and Gandalf had arrived. As they rode along the path which lead to the King’s Hall, Elrond noted with sadness the changes the shadow had wrought in the once magnificent Greenwood the Great, and at how the realm that Thranduil's power could maintain was diminishing. He frowned slightly when he saw Legolas waiting at the gates to greet them. Elrond was affronted by the obvious snub on Thranduil's part until Gandalf reminded him that arriving uninvited was also a breach of good manners. Elrond accepted the rebuke silently and followed Legolas as he led them to Thranduil's private study.

"You may leave us, now Legolas. Please have my steward ensure the guest rooms are ready." His son reluctantly obeyed, he would rather have stayed to observe whatever was going to happen.

"Greetings and welcome, Gandalf," Thranduil said with a polite bow to the much respected Istari who nodded acknowledgement but did not speak.

"It has been many centuries since we last met, Elrond," he said, turning to his unwanted guest. "What brings you to Mirkwood? Your letter indicated that you wish to study the old books and scrolls, which are part of my library. I think you must have some particular reason, other than idle curiosity as to what I may possess. They must be of great importance to bring you away from Rivendell and into the depths of my realm."

"Very astute, Thranduil," Elrond replied. "Gandalf believes that you may have some of Oropher's old maps which we may have need of in the dark times he sees coming. As I am sure Legolas told you, I am also interested in studying any ancient tomes."

"Surely there are no works the Master of Lore has not already seen or read? Why should I show them to you?" Thranduil asked testily.

"Because I am asking you to," said Gandalf trying to defuse any confrontation before it began. "The various races of Middle Earth are facing a war with the Dark Lord, we need to plan our defence. I ask for your help because this evil will affect us all."

"My only concern is for the Elves. I have no great love for the race of Men or Dwarves, neither are to be trusted," argued Thranduil. Surprisingly, Elrond found that he was of a similar opinion.

"I also have little faith in them," he said, ignoring the sceptical look Thranduil gave him, "but we must help them defeat the shadow. Even though our time here is fading, we cannot leave Middle Earth to the dark Lord’s power." Elrond looked to Gandalf for support.

"Elrond speaks wisely," Gandalf said, "but there are not enough Elves left to defeat him, help will be needed from the other races."

"So, I take it you suggest we unite our forces in the face of a common enemy?" Thranduil asked, not particularly impressed with the idea.

"That is my desire," Elrond said.

"Very well, what you say is true, we all know that Sauron seeks revenge on the Elves. I will allow you to borrow whatever may be of use to you, but do not look to Mirkwood to join your battles elsewhere," he warned. "I will need all my warriors to defend these borders. He already has Mirkwood firmly in his sight." Gandalf could see that Elrond was displeased with Thranduil's attitude, but he well understood the Woodland King’s position so he changed the subject.

"I noticed that the courtyard is very gaily decorated. Does that mean you intend to honour us with one of your well-known feasts tonight?" Gandalf asked hopefully. That was exactly what Thranduil had planned, and much to the surprise of all, the evening went smoothly. Elrond and Thranduil became engaged in a discussion of battle tactics, and seemed to be on very amicable terms.


They spent the next few days in Thranduil's library, Elrond studying the books with Thranduil hovering close by, offering whatever assistance was required. In a room containing a large table covered with maps, Gandalf, with much help from Legolas, soon had the information he required. To Legolas’s disappointment, their stay was short and they soon departed for Rivendell.

*******

Unfortunately, many leagues away, Estel were not having such an easy time. The twins had become extremely tiresome and annoying. After leaving Mirkwood, they were determined that Legolas would not have the last laugh and they had done nothing but discuss the many ways one could exact revenge on a golden-haired Wood Elf.

"Do you think we could discuss something else for a while?" Estel asked impatiently.

"Perhaps we could discuss what our beautiful sister could possibly see in a Ranger and why Adar sent her off to Lothlorien," Elrohir said laughing at the embarrassed look on Estel's face. Elrond had caught them kissing on a secluded bridge and had been so furious that he manifested his disapproval by sending Arwen away.

"Maybe you would do better to try and guess what Adar may have written to Celeborn, or how the Lady Galadriel will greet you?" He retaliated.

The twins stopped and stared at him. "Do you know what is in the letter, Estel?" Elrohir asked.

"No… " he answered hesitantly, as if he had something to hide. In fact he had no idea what Elrond's message to Celeborn was, but it amused him to let them think he did. They were not entirely convinced by his denial, but they were definitely curious as to the content of the missive.

"Perhaps we should take a peek at it?" Suggested Elladan as he took the letter from his travel bag and inspected it closely. "Adar’s seal is not fixed very strongly so it would be an easy task for a Ranger to remove it and replace it unnoticed," he said looking hopefully at Estel.

"I will not deny that I could do as you suggest, but I will not betray Elrond's trust. Besides, he has probably put an enchantment of some kind on it and I do not wish to tempt fate.” Elladan sighed in resignation and returned the unopened letter to his bag,

”Nice try, brother," said Elrohir. "It is unfortunate that Estel is so noble and honest and wise," he teased.

"You two are really incorrigible!" Estel replied indignantly as he marched swiftly towards their destination. The one advantage of travelling with elves he decided was that the journey was very swift, and not a moment too soon the trees of the Golden Wood were in sight.

"I must now depart for my errand takes me towards the gates of Moria," Estel said to the twins. "I ask that you pay my respects to the Lord and Lady of the Wood. Farewell for now. I trust that whatever awaits you will not be too painful!" he said as he turned towards the foothills of the Misty Mountains.

Even as the twins reached the dappled shade beneath the trees of Lothlórien, their elven ears could still hear the faint sound of his laughter.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List