Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Miscreants and Rapscallions  by Elendiari22

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, and I’ll put them back safely when I’m done!

Author’s Note: Well, this is the end, to quote Frodo. I thank all of you for taking the time to read and review, and hope that you will continue to read my stories. Thank you!

 

Chapter Nineteen: Gifts

 

   It was a grand luncheon that awaited them back at the Citadel, and both the teams and the spectators ate hungrily. There was a general feeling of celebration in the hall, as the two opposing teams were finally able to mingle. It seemed that all propriety vanished, as the children ran back and forth from their seats to their parents with bits of food and drink. Merry shed the hated pink dress for more comfortable hobbit wear, and Theodwyn and Elanorallie spent several futile minutes trying to brush a quantity of blue powder from Legolas’ tunic, powder which they had not noticed before, but which they were all willing to bet came from the blunted arrows of the rose maze. At last, Arwen stood up.

    “It seems that our contest has ended in a draw, but there are some awards for valor that must be given,” she began. “The blunted arrows were each covered in powder, blue and orange. This allowed me to see how well each team did. It seems that the hobbit, Faramir, was hit the most, thereby allowing him to win this wooden soldier and horse, carved by Gaer, personal guard to King Eomer of Rohan, specifically for this purpose.”

   Faramir stood up and accepted his prize with a grin, bowing handsomely to Arwen. When he sat down, his friends crowded close to see the toys. Arwen, however, continued.

    “Prince Legolas was also hit, although less times than Faramir. This, coupled with his patience at being the captive of the children, is worthy of honor. He wins a new chess set, made by the Dwarves of the Glittering Caves,” she said. More cheers, and Legolas accepted his prize with a sheepish grin. “I have other gifts to bestow, as well, to all those who helped with this game. For the use of his riders as couriers, I gift to Eomer a dagger made by the Elves of Eryn Lasgalen, formerly Mirkwood. For her patience and help in all of this, I give Eowyn of Emyn Arnen a wolf hound puppy.”

   Eowyn and Eomer were very pleased, and Arwen moved on to give gifts to everyone else. Theodwyn received a book of elvish tales, Elfwine a small painting of a horse, and Rowan received a small bag of new marbles. Eldarion received a wooden sword, and Elanorallie was given a book of the ballads and riddles of Men. Estella and Diamond were given necklaces, and Thranduil, to the delight of all of the Elves in the hall, was given a blue banner with a silver cat on it. Pippin received a pewter mug, and Prince Faramir was given a book of the history of the Elves. Many other gifts were given, as well, to all of those who had helped with the game.

   “Last of all, but certainly not least,” said Arwen, “I must bestow a gift on Meriadoc Brandybuck. He put up with the follies of the ladies and I, and did not enjoy it much. To him I gift three barrels of dwarvish ale and a pewter mug.”

   Merry and Pippin stood up and cheered, while Aragorn and Legolas, along with the rest of the men, groaned and traded desperate glances. Hobbits and dwarvish ale were never a good mix.

   At last, the last gifts were given out, and the festivities returned to normal. At their end of the long table, the children were grouped together, talking.

  “What shall our next adventure be?” Eldarion asked his friends. “We never got to play any other games, remember? We only played Ella’s game.”

  Elfwine nodded gleefully. “Rohan next! We can play war, and pretend to be great Riders of the Mark!”

  “Or we can pretend to be rangers of Ithilien,” Theodwyn said. “I’m sure that we can use old cloaks and such, Eldarion.” Ella nodded her agreement.

    Faramir and Rowan traded a look. “I have an idea,” Faramir said loudly. “Why don’t we play a hobbit game? It’s called ‘Go home and rest after the grand adventure’. It’s very fun.”

    The rest of the children glanced at each other. Eldarion opened his mouth to protest, but stopped when Theodwyn yawned. Suddenly, quiet games in the nursery sounded very appealing.

   “That’s a good idea, Faramir,” he agreed. “I say we do that for awhile. Who agrees with me?”

   The adults looked over at the children as their voices were raised in a chorus of “Me!” and “I do!” They grinned at each other.

   “It seems that they’ve had a good idea, for once,” Aragorn said.

   Eomer laughed. “Aye, there cannot be too much danger in rest and relaxation.”

   “We hope,” muttered Legolas.

   The table exploded into laughter, and Aragorn raised his glass. “To youth!” he said. “May it ever be merry and joyful!”

    All over the hall, glasses and goblets were raised. “To youth!”  

   At last, it was all over, and the company dispersed to continue their duties. The sleepy children were led back to the nursery, and as he settled down on a big divan to sleep, young Faramir wondered what sorts of adventures they would have later on. He only hoped that they would be as fun as this one had been.

Finis.

  





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List