Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On the Road to Imladris  by jenolas

2 As the River Runs

The first part of their planned expedition was to follow the course of the Anduin to Lothlórien, retracing the path that the Fellowship had taken many decades earlier. Legolas deferred the leadership to Eldarion thus allowing him to gain more experience, and to set the pace for their travel. It had been an arduous journey so far, hampered at times by rugged terrain and the occasional torrential rain, but was enjoying every minute, even when he lost his footing and fell into the murky waters of the wetlands. His eagerness and enthusiasm, regardless of the conditions was contagious and lifted Legolas' spirits, banishing his melancholy thoughts from his mind. It was also very rewarding to be able to impart the knowledge and experience of centuries of woodcraft to such a willing student.

The two companions had finally reached Parth Galen just as the sun slipped slowly below the horizon. The reflection of its final blaze of red and gold glory coloured the fine mist that rose from the Falls of Rauros as the waters of the river thundered onto the rocks below. Legolas watched silently, mesmerised by the beauty of the tiny droplets that reminded him of sparks rising from the festive midnight fires around which the Wood Elves often danced. He found himself hoping that Thranduil would allow such a celebration when his son returned to Eryn Lasgalen.

The magic of the moment faded as his thoughts turned to the last time he had gazed at the falls. Placing his hand over his heart in the elfish gesture of farewell, Legolas stood for a few moments in silent remembrance of the brave Boromir, who had given his life in an attempt to save Merry and Pippin. His reverie was disturbed by a loud shout from the woods behind him,

"Legolas! Come quickly!" In a reflexive action, he drew his bow as he ran to Eldarion's side, wondering what danger had befallen his friend.

"What is wrong?" he asked, neither sensing nor seeing anything out of the ordinary. The young man looked up with a delighted expression on his face.

"This is a really rare plant, if I am not mistaken. It can be used to make a potion that makes one feel light-headed and carefree. Why have you drawn your bow?" he asked, noticing Legolas' defensive pose.

"Because when you called out I thought you were in danger," the Elf replied as he replaced his arrow in its quiver. "Obviously you are not." There was no mistaking the implied reprimand in his voice.

"Sorry, I did not mean to cause you to worry. I will be more careful in the future, it was just that I was so excited to find this particular plant." Such had been the pattern over the last few days when the journey had slowed somewhat each time the healer in Eldarion stopped to examine plants and flowers he had only seen in the books in the Healer's hall or his father's private library.

"I do not wish to dampen your enthusiasm, my young friend," said Legolas who was pleased to provide as many learning opportunities as possible, "but since your medicine pouch is already bulging at the seams, would it not be prudent to simply mark this area on your map and return at another time?"

"I suppose you are right," agreed Eldarion reluctantly as he cut a few more leaves to add to his collection. His attempt to attach the overfull pouch back onto his belt clasp was not entirely successful for it was now a decidedly uncomfortable and awkward size. With a shrug of his shoulders and a cheeky wink at his companion, he removed it and put it into his travel bag.

"Now that you have solved that problem it is time to start looking for a suitable campsite, for evening is fast approaching. Where do you suggest?" Each time they had stopped to make camp, the same question was asked and Eldarion was becoming a good judge of appropriate sites for a camp. He scanned the area and pointed to the rock formation that protected a small grassed area not far from the river.

"That looks like a comfortable spot. The heat those rocks absorbed during the day may provide some warmth against the evening cold," he said trying to impress his teacher with his knowledge. "I will get a fire started and I believe it is my turn to prepare the evening meal." They both laughed at the joke. For the past several days the evening meal had consisted only of lembas and herb tea. Such a diet did not bother Legolas, but his companion preferred a much heartier fare. Unfortunately for Eldarion, who was an excellent hunter, there had been no tracks or signs of any creatures suitable for eating in the rocky terrain.

"While you do that, I will see if I can find some suitable branches out of which to make a trap for catching fish," said Legolas. It did not take him long and when he returned to the campfire, Eldarion saw that he looked very pleased with himself, although he said nothing. Taking the branches, they quickly fashioned two traps and placed them in a likely position on the riverbed, the thought of fresh fish for breakfast was foremost on Eldarion's mind as he fell asleep.

The smell of fish being fried invaded his dreams and he awoke with a start, realising that the traps had worked, and Legolas was cooking breakfast. He still wore an enigmatic smile, and Eldarion could no longer contain his curiosity.

"What are you so pleased about?" he asked between bites of the deliciously sweet fish.

"Look over there," said Legolas, pointing towards the riverbank. Eldarion almost choked on his food as he saw a beautiful grey boat, obviously of Elven design, drawn up on the shore.

"Where did that come from?" he asked still not quite believing his eyes.

"It is the boat we abandoned when your father, Gimli and I followed the orcs who had taken our friends captive. It was hidden beneath the undergrowth, but being of elven make, I knew it would have not deteriorated, even after all this time."

Eldarion quickly forgot his meal and walked over to examine the boat closely. Legolas was right; like their cloaks, it was as new as the day it had been built.

"I am impressed. It is really beautiful," he said, running his hand along the smooth sides.

"And functional," Legolas added. "We can travel by river as far as the rapids at Sarn Gebir, past which we will have to carry the boat before we can return to the water and make our way upstream to Lothlórien."

"Carry it?" Eldarion asked, slightly taken aback by this development, thinking it would be quite a burden.

"Yes. Elven boats do not sink, but they can capsize," Legolas explained, laughing at the incredulous look on his friend's face. "How do you think we managed to survive those treacherous waters? Do not worry, it really weighs very little." Eldarion gingerly tested this assertion, his look of surprise at the lightness of the boat caused Legolas to smile. "Are you ready to brave the mighty Anduin?"

In a single motion, which demonstrated total self-confidence and a great deal of skill, Legolas effortlessly pushed the boat away from the shore, leapt gracefully into his seat and began to paddle towards the centre of the river. As the sleek Elven craft slid silently through the water, Eldarion, who was sitting in the front, tried to ignore how nervous the gentle rocking of the boat was making him feel. 

“I assure you the boat will not sink,” Legolas said correctly reading the cause of his friend’s very pale countenance.

“I know, but since I have never been on a river before in such a small craft, I need some time to become accustomed to the experience,” replied Eldarion, still unwilling to let go of the sides.

“Perhaps you would feel better if you were to help paddle?” suggested Legolas. “At least some activity might take your mind off your discomfort.” Eldarion nodded agreement and watched closely as Legolas demonstrated the technique. He was a quick study and soon managed to develop a very good rhythm.

“Do you feel any better now?” his tutor asked after they had been paddling for about an hour.

“Yes, I am beginning to enjoy myself, although I think that the ache in my shoulders has replaced the nervousness in my stomach.”

“A common complaint when one learns how to row,” laughed Legolas. “You may take a rest if you wish, I do not want you to injure yourself.” 

“Thank you. Please let me know when you wish to take a rest break,” a relieved Eldarion said, much more at ease with his new mode of transport. Legolas merely raised his eyebrow at such an unlikely occurrence; he knew he would not tire so easily.  As he effortlessly dipped his paddle into the water, he watched with amused interest as his companion settled himself in a position an Elf would not call comfortable on the floor of the boat and propped himself against the seat using their travel packs as a pillow. The combination of the gentle rocking of the boat and the warm sun on Eldarion’s face soon caused him to doze into a fitful slumber.

The light breeze lazily ruffled Legolas’ hair, and he felt as free as a leaf that had fallen into the river, to be carried along to an unknown destiny. He allowed himself to stretch out his senses, in the hope that the peace and tranquillity of the river would wash the melancholy from his spirit. At first he sensed nothing out of the ordinary, but after a few minutes something ethereal floated at the edge of his consciousness. Far off in the distance he imagined he could hear the sweet sound of elfish voices singing of a land of beauty and wonder. The voices were filled with enchantment, calling to his very soul. He could even taste the tangy salt air on which the siren song of the sea was carried, for that is what it was. So deep was his desire to answer the call, that he unknowingly began to turn the boat around and head back down the river to the sea.

“What are you doing, Legolas?” Eldarion shouted, jolted awake as the entranced Elf began steering the boat in the opposite direction to their destination. Without thinking, he reached over to shake his friend out of his reverie, and the assertion that even Elven boats could capsize was proved correct as it tipped over, spilling them both into the river. Luckily they were both excellent swimmers, so were in no danger of drowning. The shock of the cold water on his face brought Legolas sharply back from his waking dream, and feeling very foolish as well as very concerned about his loss of control, he quickly righted the boat and helped Eldarion on board.

“Thank you, my friend,” he said shakily. “I do not know what came over me.”

“I think you were in some kind of trance,” offered Eldarion, his voice and eyes filled with concern.

“I apologise for my strange behaviour,” Legolas said to still greatly disturbed by the fact that he had temporarily lost control of himself. This had never happened before, and he made a silent vow that he would make every effort to stop it happening again. He fully intended to keep the sea longing at bay for as long as possible.  

“Shall we pull into the shore?” Eldarion asked, sensing that silent support for his friend would be most appreciated at this time. “We need to dry our clothes and take time for a brief rest.” 

“That is a good idea. Some nice warm herb tea would be most welcome,” said Legolas matching his actions to his words and making for a small strip of sand on the opposite shore. They quickly removed their wet clothing and spread the garments out on the rocks to dry in the warm midday sun. While Eldarion started a small fire and made some herb tea, Legolas took the time to examine the boat for any damage, but found none. Settling himself against one of the larger boulders, he gratefully accepted the tea from Eldarion and looking warily at the mug, asked with his usual humour,

“You have not put any of that new plant you found in this I hope? I do not need my mind to be any more confused than it already is at present.”

“No, but it would not have been a bad idea, at least you would be enjoying it,” laughed the young man, relieved to see his friend recover so quickly from whatever it was that ailed him. Legolas showed no inclination to speak further on the subject so Eldarion simply made a mental note to speak to Gimli about it when they returned to Minas Tirith.

Several hours later, they resumed their journey and it soon became apparent that the river was beginning to narrow and the current was becoming stronger. Up ahead loomed tall grey walls of a steep-sided gorge carved over the millennia by the mighty Anduin River. Legolas stopped paddling and allowed the boat to drift as they passed through the entrance, which to Eldarion’s way of thinking, was like a gateway.

“That is one name for it, but it is more widely known as…” Eldarion did not allow Legolas to finish his sentence before he interrupted with a joyful,

“The Argonath!” he exclaimed as he stared in wide-eyed admiration at the two huge guardians of the northern reaches of Gondor, his ancestors Isildur and Anárion.  “I have always wanted to see it, ever since Father described it to me as a child. It is truly magnificent! I am honoured to be kin of men such as these. I hope they will look upon me with the same pride one day when I am King.” Legolas noticed a subtle change in the young man; he now seemed somehow more regal, more in possession of the majesty of his Númenórean forefathers.  

As they travelled further north, Eldarion found himself wishing he had elven eyesight as he kept looking behind, trying to get one last glimpse of the statues before they disappeared below the horizon. Finally there were no longer in view signalling to the travellers that they leaving the realm of Men.

The current was becoming increasingly stronger and even with two rowers they seemed to be making little headway. “This is where we must leave the river and carry the boat along the portage way,” explained Legolas as he steered the boat ashore. Eldarion was glad that the boat was lightweight and easy to carry, because the terrain they had to traverse was either rocky ground or dense undergrowth and not very hospitable. Eldarion had the scrapes and bruises to prove it, and did not think it fair that Legolas, with his elfish lightness of foot remained unscathed. The roar of the rapids drowned out any conversation so it was not until they had moved well past the headwaters that a concerned Eldarion could enquire again as to his friend’s well being.

“I am fully recovered. You need not worry further on my account.” Legolas said, clapping his friend on the shoulder in a display of affection. “Judging by those cuts and scratches, it is I who should be concerned about your health. I fear you are in need of your own healing ministrations.”

“There is nothing requiring immediate attention,” Eldarion answered with after a quick check of his own condition.

“Very well,” said Legolas looking skywards to see the position of the sun. “There are still a few hours of daylight left. We should make good use of them for we still have many days on the river before we reach Lothlórien.”



 The days passed rapidly, and Eldarion quickly learned the skills of rowing. His shoulders no longer ached, and he was relieved to see that Legolas was apparently no longer troubled by the call of the sea. They arrived at the havens of the almost deserted Lothlórien in the misty dawn, and the low hanging fog only served to make the area seem more enchanted to the awed Eldarion.


"What a beautiful place. It is almost magical!" exclaimed Eldarion as Legolas expertly docked the grey boat in its haven of origin.

"It is much as I remembered from my last visit, except that the leaves have lost some of their golden hue,” said Legolas as he gazed once more on the ageless mallorn trees that filled the glade by the inlet.

"Sadly, that is true, for since the Lady departed into the West our light has been slowly fading, as are the leaves of the trees," said a melodious yet melancholy voice from somewhere behind them.

"Greetings, Haldir," called Legolas looking towards the trees where he sensed the Elf was waiting. Eldarion, who had not seen or heard anyone approach, gasped as a silver haired Elf, with striking blue eyes appeared as if from nowhere and embraced Legolas warmly.

"Welcome, Legolas Thranduilion. It has been too many summers since you last visited Lothlórien,” he said with a smile.

"Indeed it has," agreed Legolas, genuinely pleased to see his friend of old once more. Haldir shifted his gaze to Eldarion, and frowned in puzzlement.

"You have not seen enough years of men to be Aragorn, yet you look just as he did as a youth. Who are you?" asked Haldir. Legolas managed to contain his mirth long enough to make a formal introduction.

"Haldir of Lothlórien, meet Eldarion, son of Aragorn and heir to the throne of Gondor." Eldarion bowed politely to the Elf, of whom he had heard many tales of heroism from his father and Legolas.

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance, my lord Haldir," he said, unable to keep the awe from his voice, for even he could sense the power and ageless wisdom behind those sparkling blue eyes.

" I hear you and your young friend are travelling to Imladris," he said, speaking to Legolas as he indicated for them to follow him back to Caras Galadhon.

"That is correct. Eldarion wishes to meet his Elven kin and to learn more of his ancestry." Legolas explained.

"That event might take place sooner than you expect," Haldir said enigmatically." For the present I assume you wish to visit the home of your kin here?" Haldir asked, directing his gaze at Eldarion.

"Yes, please, my lord," he said eagerly.

Legolas followed Eldarion as Haldir lead him to the largest and most ancient tree he had ever seen. Although it had lost some of its magnificence since Galadriel had travelled to the Undying Lands and Celeborn had left to live in Imladris for a time, it was still an awesome sight, judging by the look on Eldarion's face. They followed Haldir up the spiral staircase and onto the talan that still housed the now unused dwelling of Arwen's grandparents.

 Legolas had been here several times and was pleased to see that, in a tribute to the Lady and her Lord, everything remained unchanged, giving the impression that they had not even left. Legolas sensed that some essence of her spirit remained and catching Haldir's eye, he indicated that they should leave, giving Eldarion a chance to explore part of his heritage in privacy. The young man was so absorbed in the small portrait of Celeborn and Galadriel that hung on the wall above their bed, that he did not notice the Elves step outside onto the balcony and engage in quiet conversation.

"How fares Ithilien?" asked Haldir pouring Legolas a glass of wine from the carafe he had retrieved from Celeborn's study. "If Thranduil is to be believed, the whole forest is restored to its former magnificence." Legolas almost choked as he tried to stifle a laugh.

"Adar always did tend to exaggerate about my achievements," he managed to say in between coughs, pleased that his sire was apparently very proud of him. "My little corner of the forest is doing quite well, with the help of my friends who joined me there."

"Then what is it that troubles you? Did the Lady's warning fall on deaf ears, perhaps?" Legolas was surprised by the question and impressed with Haldir's perception.

"Is it that obvious?" he asked with despair in his voice. He thought he had managed to keep his turmoil well hidden from Eldarion, but he had briefly forgotten that his Elven kin could see his inner as well as his outer self.

"To one who has seen Elves afflicted with the sea longing many times before, yes," replied Haldir as he placed a comforting hand on Legolas' shoulder. "If you want my advice, you should return to Eryn Lasgalen as soon as possible. Thranduil is the only one who can help you."

"I fully intend to go home, once I have seen Eldarion safely to Imladris," Legolas informed his concerned friend.

"That will not be necessary, for even as we speak, Elladan and Elrohir are on their way here. I expect them to arrive later this evening. They can take charge of their young nephew, and you can look to your own needs."

"That is a fortuitous coincidence," Legolas said, wondering if it was more than that. The time of the Elves may be fading, but some of those who yet remained in Middle Earth were quite powerful in their own way.

"It may seem so, but once they heard of your plans there was no question of them coming here to, I believe the message said: 'rescue our poor human nephew from the influence of that Wood elf'. Not very complimentary, but typical of those two."

"Yes it is," laughed Legolas. "I would expect nothing less."

"Did I hear someone mention that my Uncles will soon be arriving?" Eldarion asked as he came outside to join in the conversation. Legolas nodded affirmation. "Wonderful! I can hardly wait!"

Haldir cocked his head as if he was trying hard to hear something. He raised a questioning eyebrow at Legolas who nodded indicating that he had also heard something, a smile lighting his face as he realised whom it was.

"Only the sons of Elrond would deign to make so much noise on approach," said Haldir. "Apparently they made better time than they expected."

"More likely they avoided finding some mischief to delay them," retorted Legolas. He winked at Eldarion who was beginning to think that Gimli was right about all Elves being crazy. "Besides they always did like to make an entrance." He moved to peer over the balcony to the forest floor below. "Elladan! Elrohir!" he shouted, waving to catch their attention. "Come up here, there is someone waiting to meet you."

In a reaction very similar to Haldir's, the Twins stared in amazement at their sister's son.

"You look just like Aragorn," said Elladan when he had recovered from the shock of seeing a one who so closely resembled his foster brother.

"Without the grey hair and wrinkles," Eldarion dared, rightly thinking that his humour would not be regarded as disrespect for his father. None of the Elves except Legolas, who felt as if he had been stabbed in the heart at Eldarion's reference to Aragorn's age, could keep from laughing heartily at his unexpected response, and wiping the tears of merriment from his eyes, Elrohir clapped his nephew on the back.

"It will be just like old times, for you are also apparently possessed of Aragorn's mischief as well,” he said happily.

Haldir suddenly found himself feeling very sorry for his Lord Celeborn and the other inhabitants of Imladris.

The Elves of Caras Galadhon were extremely pleased to hold a feast in honour of all their guests, for seldom these days did they have cause for such celebrations. Eldarion had often attended the feasts in Ithilien and readily joined in the singing and dancing, to the delight of all. Even the trees seemed more alive as the forest echoed with the sound of music and laughter well into the night.

Legolas sat slightly apart from the others, not feeling in the mood for merrymaking, but content to watch his friends enjoy themselves. Surrounded by their many admirers, Elladan and Elrohir were obviously not lacking for dance partners, and he noticed that Haldir was having a very animated conversation with the lovely she-elf he sat beside.

"Come and join in the dance Legolas!" Eldarion called across the glade. A look of disappointment crossed his face as the Elf refused with a shake of his head. It was unusual for Legolas to refrain from participating in the fun, but Eldarion saw no need to force the issue. He happily rejoined the dance circle just as the musicians began playing a very lively tune.

Everyone seemed well occupied, so Legolas felt free to seek the solitude he desired. The journey upriver had tired him both physically and emotionally, but despite this, he felt that a walk under the stars would serve him well. Passing through the gates of the city, he headed for Cerin Amroth and although his destination was quite a distance away, he found the walk very invigorating and a pleasant change from being cramped in a small boat. The tranquillity of the forest at night soothed his troubled heart, and the fresh, crisp air was as a summer rain, clearing the cloud of confusion from his mind.

By the time he reached the circle of white trees on the hill, he was feeling much better and he chose to lay among the elanor and niphredil flowers and gaze at the stars. This night the sea longing did not haunt him, and, for the first time in many weeks, he simply basked in the comfort his beloved starlight, singing softly of its beauty.

Elladan and Elrohir had noticed Legolas' melancholy behaviour, and out of concern for their friend's well being they followed him when they saw him leave the festivities. They stood at the edge of the trees until the last note of his song died on the light breeze, not really surprised that he called them to join him. Neither of them had caught him off guard.

"Eldarion tries to do that all the time, he does not succeed either,” he informed them. "Were you following me for a reason, or just to keep in practice?"

"We thought you were depressed, and intended to try and lift your spirits," said Elladan as he stepped into the glade.

"Obviously we were mistaken," commented Elrohir as he joined them both. "It seems we walked all this way for nothing."

"Not at all," replied Legolas. "I was feeling rather melancholy. I am grateful for your concern, and I welcome your company."

"It is really lovely out here," said Elladan as he sat cross-legged, delicately caressing the petal of one of the flowers. "And very romantic. It is no wonder that Aragorn brought my sister here to plight their trough."

"Speaking of Arwen, how is our lovely Evenstar?" asked Elrohir.

"As beautiful as ever, and still very much in love with Aragorn. She has no regrets about her choice," answered Legolas succinctly.

"That is what she says in her letters, but it is good to hear the words spoken." Both he and Elladan missed their sister, but respected her decision to limit their contact to letters.

"What is this nonsense she wrote us about hoping to prevent Eldarion becoming confused into thinking he is more Elf than Man? Surely the young Prince knows who and what he is by now?" Elladan asked.


"Yes, I believe he does," Legolas replied. "Arwen is just showing motherly concern, and I can see why. Elves are no longer well regarded by many men in Minas Tirith. Eldarion will one day be King of Men, and she does not want his Elven heritage to be the cause of any dissent."

"Then why did she allow him to come here?" Elrohir asked.

"Imladris contains a wealth of knowledge about his Númenórean heritage, as well as being home to his Elven kin. Aragorn wants him to be taught as he was, and Arwen is following her husband's wishes, although I do not know what he was thinking by entrusting you two with the task," said Legolas with a hint of his usual mischief in his eyes. "I hope you take it seriously, otherwise he will end up confused."

"Most amusing," said Elladan sarcastically. "You know he will be well looked after, and I am sure you can rely on Lord Celeborn to properly oversee his formal education." Legolas shook his head and laughed, not missing the implication that Eldarion's uncles would see to his more 'informal' lessons.

Time passed quickly as the conversation turned first to an exchange of news, followed by much reminiscing about the days of their youth, and as the sky began to lighten in readiness to greet the dawn, the three friends made their way back to the city.

They arrived later that afternoon and Legolas sought out Eldarion to ask whether he was happy to continue the journey to Imladris in the company of his uncles. The young man was pleased to accept the offer, for it would give them all a better chance to become acquainted, whilst at the same time allowing his friend the freedom to travel directly to Eryn Lasgalen. Although Legolas seemed to have recovered from his earlier affliction, Eldarion knew him well enough to be certain that all was not well with the Elf.

"I know that Elladan and Elrohir wish to remain here a little longer, but it is my desire to reach my home as soon as possible," Legolas explained as he and Eldarion walked down to where the boats were moored. Haldir waved a greeting to them and called out to Legolas,

"Where have you been? I have been ready to leave for hours!" Haldir was going to take Legolas across the river so that he could travel home past the ruins of Dol Guldur and through the forest that had been cleansed of the minions of Sauron after his defeat. At the end of the war Celeborn had claimed some of south Eryn Lasgalen for his own, but once he left for Imladris, Haldir and the others had returned to the remains of Lothlórien.

"We can go as soon as I take my leave of Eldarion," Legolas replied. Turning to his friend he continued, "I will remain in Eryn Lasgalen until you are ready to return to Minas Tirith. If you have need of me, just send a messenger and I will come. I warn you that your Uncles are renowned for their mischief making, and that although they appear as young men to you, they have many centuries of wisdom and experience and to impart."

"I will heed your advice. Farewell," said Eldarion, quickly embracing his friend. As he watched the grey boat travel down the stream towards the river, Eldarion felt two arms wrap around his shoulders and found that his Uncles flanked him. All three waved as Legolas and Haldir rounded the bend and disappeared from view.

"Sitting up all night talking, not to mention that long walk to Cerin Amroth and back, has made me very hungry," commented Elladan.

"Cerin Amroth? Mother often speaks of that place. Will you take me there?" asked Eldarion.

"Of course," agreed Elrohir, ignoring the groan of dismay from his twin.

"Not until we have had something to eat!" insisted Elladan. "Haldir will be gone for quite a while, shall we go and raid his kitchen before he returns?"

The wicked gleam in Elrohir’s eye was all the answer his brother needed.

                                                            ********

There was a slight jarring as the boat slid to a grinding halt in the gravel that covered this part of the eastern bank of the Anduin. The two Elves disembarked by gracefully leaping over the side and landing noiselessly on the loose stones. Haldir had decided to accompany Legolas as far as Dol Guldur, for he was also curious to see the changes time had wrought to the ruins of Sauron's fortress.

"Are you sure you do not wish me to continue on to Eryn Lasgalen with you?" asked Haldir as they headed inland to Dol Guldur.

"It is not necessary, my friend, but I thank you for your concern. Rest assured I am quite capable of making the journey alone." Haldir looked slightly dubious at that statement, and was surprised when Legolas stopped suddenly and spoke with a hint of anger in his voice. "I appreciate that my friends are trying to protect me from myself, but it is becoming tiresome. I will gladly seek your help if I need it, but for now I need to learn to deal with the problem in my own way."

"As you wish," Haldir said, conceding the point with a slight bow. "I wonder if any of Sauron's evil remains?" he mused as he took his bearings and indicated the direction in which their goal was to be found.

"There is one way to find out," said Legolas, clapping his friend on the shoulder indicating there was no ill feeling between them. "Shall we go and see?"

They quickly covered the short distance to their destination and there was a look of pure delight on both of their faces at the sight that met their eyes. The forest, released from the darkness of the shadow, had returned with a vengeance to reclaim what had been taken. The scattered remnants of the stonewalls were barely visible in the long green grass, and the pits had filled with water, forming little pools around which grew many brightly closured flowering plants. Vines grew to the very top of the ruined tower and Legolas' heart was filled with joy to see several birds' nests in various crevices. Haldir touched his arm lightly and pointed to the base of the tower, and they watched in silence as several pairs of beady eyes peered from a burrow into the gathering dusk.

"I think there may also be some Elven power at work here," suggested Haldir, turning to Legolas who standing very still with a strange look on his face. "Legolas, are you well?" he asked, becoming alarmed at his friend's silence. Legolas simply held up his hand, showing Haldir the brightly coloured butterfly that rested on his palm.

"Do not worry, Haldir, I have not taken leave of my senses." He lifted his hand into the air, and watched as the creature flew away. "The knowledge that such beauty can arise from such ugliness gives me the strength to continue. And yes, I think you are correct, it may be that the power of the Woodland Elves has not diminished as much as that of the others who remain."

Haldir was relieved to see his friend in such good spirits, and decided it was time to take his leave,

"I think it is time I returned to Caras Galadhon, who knows what mayhem the Twins are causing in my absence," he said lightly.

"Their presence is certainly cause for concern," agreed Legolas, laughing merrily.

"Give your adar my regards, and I expect I shall see you on your way back to Ithilien," he said. 

Legolas waited until Haldir could no longer be seen, then he disappeared into the treetops as he headed north to Eryn Lasgalen.



 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List