Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On the Road to Imladris  by jenolas

3. A Saving Grace

Thranduil waited anxiously for Legolas to arrive, for although he had approved of the move to Ithilien, he did not see his son often enough for his liking. In fact the last time he had seen him was when he returned home after the Ring War, full of enthusiasm for his plans to help restore both the gardens of Minas Tirith and the forests of Ithilien. That had been a time of both joy and grief for although his son had returned safely from the battles, he had not been unscathed. The sea longing now haunted Legolas, and would one day steal his beloved son from him.

The sound of much commotion and voices calling greetings to their Prince roused Thranduil from his thoughts, and with his heartbeat racing with anticipation he swiftly made his way to the bridge in front of the gates to his Hall. Legolas, who was laughing and talking to his many friends, felt his adar’s eyes on him and with no regard for his age or station in life, ran straight into the strong arms that awaited him. No words were spoken, for none were necessary as adar and son held each other in a warm embrace.

"Welcome home, Legolas," said Thranduil as they finally separated and headed for the privacy of the King's study.

"It is good to be here, I have missed you, Adar," Legolas said as he wandered about the room, finally settling for the seat on the windowsill as he had always done as a young elfling. "As much as I love it in Ithilien, this will always be my home."

"I am pleased to hear that," said Thranduil also taking a seat in his favourite armchair. "I thought you were travelling with Aragorn's son? Where is he?"

"Elladan and Elrohir arrived in Lothlórien to escort Eldarion to Imladris," Legolas said smiling at Thranduil’s snort at that news.

"Well, they are his kin, after all," Legolas said feeling a little defensive of his friends.

"Did you travel past Dol Guldur?" Thranduil asked, more interested in his own son than Elrond’s. "It has changed much since you were last here."

"Yes, it was good to see the new life growing all over the evil ruins. Haldir thinks that the power of the Wood elves has not yet diminished to a great degree,” he commented with a frown at the grim look on Thranduil’s face.

"I hate to admit it, but I think he is mistaken. I believe it is slowly fading as the time of the Elves draws to a close," said Thranduil sadly. "There will come a day when we are but a memory in the minds of men, or mythical creatures in stories told to their children." Legolas could not imagine the power of his adar or the Wood Elves diminishing, nor could he bear the thought of him simply fading away.

"You must sail to Valinor with me," he said, not realising the full implication of his words, only knowing that it was the one place they would always be together. It seemed he had unknowingly already accepted his Fate.

"What? Are you here to say good bye?" asked Thranduil suddenly very afraid. "Surely you have not succumbed to the sea longing already?"

"No... well… maybe.. I…  am not really sure," said Legolas. "Something strange is happening to me, Adar."

"Tell me," said Thranduil. He listened intently as Legolas described the incident on the river, and told of his increasing awareness of the longing that was causing him so much confusion.

"I am not ready to leave, I can not leave, for I have promised to remain here until Aragorn's time is ended." Thranduil nodded sympathetically,

"I understand your loyalty, but you should know that neither can I leave, at least not until the last Elf in my realm has left. On that day I will sail into the West. Unless you can find the strength to resist the call to the sea, the time to leave will come sooner for you than you may wish, my son," he said gently, confirming Legolas' own fear. "Already I can feel you fading with the effort to remain, the conflict within you is slowly draining your spirit."

"Is there nothing I can do? I do not think I will have the strength to continue much longer,” Legolas admitted. There was nothing to be gained by hiding the truth from either himself or Thranduil, he realised.

It broke Thranduil's heart to see his son so depressed and afraid of losing control. Suddenly a smile lit his face and he took a small box out of his desk drawer and opened it, revealing its contents to be a small white gemstone. Legolas was surprised to see that it glowed slightly when it was picked it up.

"What is that?" he asked, curiosity replacing his depression.

"Something Galadriel gave to me before she sailed from the Havens. I had completely forgotten about it, until now. It is a kind of healing stone, with a small remnant of the Lady's power somehow crafted into it. In her usual enigmatic fashion, she warned me that it would only work once, and only between blood kin. She assured me that I had both the knowledge and the grace to use it when the time came. The time is now, and I do know how to wield its power. Come, take my hand."

Legolas obeyed and placed his hand in the comfortingly strong grip of his adar’s hand as it held the stone held between their palms. Thranduil closed his eyes and drew on his inner light, and the power of his Sindar heritage. The stone glowed with a pale white light and Legolas felt a warmth travel through his body, felt his own inner light shining more brightly, giving him renewed strength. The few brief moments of contact seemed like an age, and there was a distinct feeling of sadness as the glow of the stone faded away. Thranduil looked intently into his son's eyes, and smiled, pleased with the result.

"What just happened?" asked Legolas, feeling better than he had in a long time. Thranduil looked at the stone in his hand and saw that now it was nothing more than just a rock. He sat down heavily, feeling slightly weak and explained.

"Galadriel told me that with this stone, I would have the power to give you a small piece of my own inner light, a part of the grace the Valar bestowed. It will hopefully give you the strength to remain here until you are ready to leave." Legolas was overwhelmed by the power of the Lady and the generosity of the gift his father had given him.

"How can I thank you, Adar?" he asked, tears of love and gratitude welling in his eyes for the enormity of the sacrifice. Thranduil held him close until his tears subsided, then he lifted Legolas' chin and gently kissed his beloved forehead.

"I require no thanks, you are my son,” he managed to whisper before he felt his legs giving way beneath his weight.


"Are you all right, Adar?" Legolas asked as Thranduil was forced to lean heavily on his son to prevent himself from falling as a slight dizziness overcame him.

"Yes, do not be concerned, it was just a moment of weakness, but it has passed now," Thranduil answered as he allowed his son to help him to his chair.

"Perhaps a glass of that excellent red wine you sent me last season is in order." Legolas smiled and took the hint, pouring a glass for himself as well. "Ah, yes, much better," said Thranduil after a few sips of the wine.

"How do you feel, Legolas?"

"As if I could sleep for a whole day and night," he replied, absently picking up the stone and examining it. "Haldir hinted that you had some power to help me that no other possessed, he must have known about this. The Lady Galadriel would have told him before she left, I suppose."

"Very likely," replied Thranduil, shaking his head to force his eyes to remain focussed. "I am afraid I must retire, for I am suddenly very tired." Gratefully accepting the arm that Legolas offered, he walked slowly across the hall to his sleeping chambers, and with a final embrace, bid his son goodnight.

Legolas walked the short distance to his own rooms, which were always in readiness for him, and in the comfort of well-known surroundings, he quickly passed into the misty world of Elven sleep.

His dreams were filled with images of his mortal friends; Eldarion full of youthful curiosity about Men and Elves; Aragorn, friend of many years, the King who still sought his counsel and finally his beloved Gimli, whose words made him smile,

"Do not go, Legolas, for I will have no one to tease if you do!"

Overhead in the mists of his dream the gulls flew, calling him to the sea, tempting him with the beauty of the Undying Lands. He was torn between the two until he felt strong hand rest on his shoulder, turning him back to his friends.

"Use the strength I gave you to stay for now, but be warned, it will not last forever."

Legolas awoke with a start. He imagined that he could still feel Adar's touch until his eyes cleared and he saw that Thranduil was indeed at his side, shaking his shoulder gently,

"Wake up, Legolas. It is well past noon and you have not eaten since.. When?" he heard his Adar’s voice saying.

"I do not remember," he answered with a frown for he was not yet fully awake. "It may have been breakfast yesterday?" Specks of dust that danced in the bright rays of sunlight shining through the open window caught his eye and he pulled back the covers and stood basking in the warmth of the sunshine. "How are you today, Adar?" he asked, giving his father a peck on the cheek as he walked past him to collect the fresh clothes that had been laid out on the bed.

"I am well rested and feeling very much my usual self. I do not believe I have suffered any harm from Galadriel's stone." Legolas was very pleased and relieved to hear Thranduil's reply and eagerly followed as his adar led the way to the dining hall. The simple mention of food had made him realise that he was hungry. "And you, my son, have you recovered from your confusion?"

"Yes, I feel very well and refreshed and my path is now clear. I know that with the help of your light, I have regained the strength to resist the lure of the sea, but I am not cured of the longing."

"No, that is something that not even Galadriel has the power to cure," Thranduil said sadly.

After enjoying a very appetising meal, and a rather large one, for Legolas was hungrier than he suspected, Thranduil suggested they take a walk in the forest. Legolas welcomed the idea, for he wanted to renew his acquaintance with his beloved trees. Adar and son spent a pleasant afternoon in each other's company, and once they had tired of walking, they rested in the shade of a large oak tree, exchanging news and discussing the various restoration projects. Not wanting to spoil the mood, but needing to speak his mind, Thranduil broached the subject he and Legolas had often argued about, his mortal friends.

"You have chosen the hard road where your friendships are concerned, Legolas. I fear that they are part of the reason your strength began to fade so quickly."

"It is true that I am beginning to realise the depth of grief that I will experience one day, for even now Aragorn shows signs of ageing and I can no longer deny his mortality, nor Gimli's. Twilight is already upon them. It may even be that my fear of losing them is a weakness and drains my spirit, but I would rather suffer the grief of their loss than cause them pain by my leaving."

"And twilight is upon us as well," said Thranduil, thinking not only of the Elves, but of the darkening sky. The first star was already struggling to outshine the setting sun. "We must return to my Hall, for I am afraid you are expected at a feast this evening." Legolas laughed merrily, once more able to change moods in an instant.

"Wonderful, an evening of singing and dancing under the stars is exactly what I need!" he exclaimed, his face radiant with delight. "Let's race back through the treetops," he challenged quickly leaping onto the lower limbs of one. When Legolas had been but an elfling, this had been one of his and Thranduil’s 'secret' games, one young Legolas always managed to win. Thranduil had made certain that he did. He felt tears of joy sting his eyes to see his son in such good spirits, and accepted the challenge, his laughter almost causing him to fall from the branch on which he was standing when he heard a distant voice call,

"Do not LET me win this time, Adar!"

                                                   ********

In typical Wood Elf fashion, the merrymaking lasted well into the early hours of the morning and Legolas had been in much demand as both a dance partner and a singer. He eventually managed to slip away and found a secluded spot under the trees where he could simply lay on his back and gaze at the stars. It soothed his soul to be able to find comfort in the starlight he loved so dearly, and although he thought he could sometimes hear the sound of waves breaking on a distant shore, he was at peace, knowing he would be able to choose the time of his departure.

Early the next morning, Legolas stood on his balcony, closed his eyes and took a deep breath of the moisture filled air heralding the end of one of the summer storms that frequently swept through the forest of Eryn Lasgalen. He had always found the wildness and uncontrolled fury of the wind and rain exhilarating and he loved the first few hours after the storm had passed and calm was restored. Then the forest air would be clean and fresh and all the growing things would be glistening with raindrops that seemed to house tiny rainbows when they caught the sunlight. It was his favourite time to wander amongst the trees; it had always been, ever since he was old enough to be allowed into the forest on his own. The storm had lasted until just before dawn, and although he had stayed awake all night to watch nature's fury unleashed, the last raindrop had barely fallen when he made his way into the forest.

Thranduil had slept through the thunder and lightning, and once he realised it had rained, he was not surprised to learn that Legolas had failed to appear in the dining hall for breakfast. Thranduil knew full where his son could be found. Taking some fresh bread rolls, a slab of cheese and some nicely ripened peaches, he decided to share the morning meal with his son, albeit in the forest, rather than at the table.

Legolas was wandering happily amongst the trees, breathing the sweet fresh air, playing at 'ducking the raindrops' as they fell from the leaves. He laughed at the thought of how his friends, especially Gimli, would react if they could see him involved in such a childish pastime. It was of no matter, for they were all far away and he allowed himself the freedom to indulge in his whimsy.

His adar however, was quite close.

"It is many a year since you played that game," he said, smiling at the embarrassed look on his son's face. Indicating the cloth wrapped bundle, he said, "I have brought us some breakfast, for I knew you would neglect to eat before coming out here."

"What a wonderful idea," Legolas exclaimed, relieved that his adar had chosen to ignore his behaviour. Finding a reasonably dry patch of ground on which to sit, Adar and son quickly finished their meal. Thranduil looked about him uncertainly, for ever since he had entered this part of the woods, his senses had felt something was not quite right, and the longer he remained, the more his unease increased.

"What is it, Adar?" Legolas asked, also feeling as if something very strange was in the air. Thranduil put his hand up to silence any further words and concentrated on the source of his unease.

"There is some kind of disturbance in the forest, the trees are whispering of strangers in the south." Legolas did not question that statement, for Wood Elves had a close affinity with the natural world. Instead he also let his senses become attuned to the trees and listened to their voices.

"So they are, but I do not feel fear-- only a mild curiosity," said Legolas suddenly able to put a name to what he was sensing.

"I am sure it is nothing to cause us concern," agreed Thranduil, although he was not prepared to totally dismiss the issue as harmless. Memories of the Necromancer and the shadow over Mirkwood were still fresh in his mind. "Come, Legolas, let us return to the Hall and prepare for a journey, I am suddenly in the mood for a hunting trip in the south!"



 

 





 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List