Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On the Road to Imladris  by jenolas

9.  Journey’s End



The valley below was filled with late afternoon shadows as another day faded into memory, and it seemed to Celeborn that even the whisper of the cascading water from the falls was becoming softer as each year passed. Twilight was fast approaching, not only of this day, he mused as he lit a candle so that he could see to finish reading his book, but of Imladris. Most of the inhabitants had now followed Elrond to the Undying Lands, and the numbers of those who remained were gradually diminishing as they, too, chose to travel west. Celeborn knew that it was only a matter of time before Lothlórien and Eryn Lasgalen would also fade until, sadly, Elves would be no more than a memory in Middle Earth.

Moving out onto the balcony, Celeborn looked skywards and smiled as Eärendil began his journey across the heavens. As he did every night, he asked the mariner to send a message of love to his beloved Galadriel who was waiting for him in Valinor. She had accepted his decision to remain behind with a depth of love and understanding that was a testament to their eternal devotion to each other. Even though the ever-present melody of her sweet song filled his heart and soul, he missed her very much, but he did not regret remaining behind, for he had found a reprieve from the loneliness in the company of his grandsons.

As he turned to step back into the library, the silvery sound of Elven voices, with another slightly more raucous one added, drifted up to his ears. Two of the voices he easily recognised as those of Elladan and Elrohir, and he assumed the other sweet voice belonged to Legolas, whilst the fourth voice, and the loudest, apparently belonged to Eldarion. Celeborn was amused at the choice of song they were singing as they approached the gateway; it was, of all things, a drinking song favoured by Dwarfs. Knowing his grandsons' tendency for 'playful' behaviour, and remembering the many instances of such in which Legolas and Aragorn had also been involved, he wondered if he should be wary of whatever mischief had caused them to be in such a jovial mood. Forgetting his book for the moment, he hurried to greet the singers.

The song finished just as they entered the arch of the gate and the others moved aside, allowing Eldarion to look upon his great grandsire for the first time. The young man was overwhelmed by the power and the agelessness of the regal Elf who stood before him. Celeborn's silver hair seemed to glow in the pale light, and his eyes held the light of the stars, adding radiance to his handsome features.

"You are obviously Eldarion," he said, openly studying the young man. There was no mistaking his physical resemblance to Aragorn, but to Celeborn's eyes, the child also possessed much of his mother's inner beauty. As their eyes met, their souls recognised their kinship and for the first time, Eldarion suddenly felt he was also very much a part of this elvish family.

"I am very happy to meet you, my lord Celeborn," Eldarion managed to say, bowing politely.

"I am happy to meet you also. I am looking forward to spending some time with you, we have much to learn from each other," Celeborn said with a welcoming smile as he moved past his great grandson to greet Legolas.

"Legolas, I am well pleased to see you again," said Celeborn sincerely, a look of concern swiftly crossing his face as he studied his other young kinsman. Recognising the nature of the turmoil hidden deep inside the young Elf, he intimated his desire for a private conversation, "I hope we can also find time to become reacquainted," he said.

"I am sure that will be possible," said Legolas respectfully, accepting the offer and placing his hand on his heart in the elvish manner of greeting.

"I assume it is no accident that you have managed to arrive almost in time for the evening meal?" teased Celeborn as he briefly hugged each of the Twins, a look of distaste changing quickly to amusement as he commented dryly. "I suggest a visit to the bathing rooms might be placed first on your agenda."

"Exactly what we had in mind," declared Eldarion. In fact it was all any of them had thought of as they neared their destination, a refreshing bath, clean clothes and a freshly prepared meal.

"Yes," agreed Elrohir. "I can not imagine why wood elves prefer tunics and leggings. I will be glad to replace these travelling clothes for my robes!" he added, looking sideways at Legolas and finding himself unable to resist the friendly taunt.

"Please do," said Legolas sweetly. "I did not like to mention this, but with those knees, leggings are decidedly unbecoming on you." Elladan and Eldarion laughed heartily at the slight and Celeborn decided to put a stop to any further affront by changing the subject.

"By the way, I do not believe I have ever heard that song sung by Elves before, an interesting choice. Where did you learn it?" he asked Elrohir who was clearly trying to pretend offence whilst thinking up a suitable rejoinder.

"Eldarion taught it to us, apparently he learned it while drinking in the taverns with Legolas' friend, Gimli," explained Elrohir, as all four of them dissolved into laughter at the look of surprise on Celeborn's face. So, like father like son, thought Celeborn of Eldarion, it was certainly going to be lively in Imladris for a time.

Eldarion was shown to his rooms and all three Elves watched as a look of wondrous recognition dawned on the young man's face.

"These were my father's rooms," he stated as he wandered slowly about the room that still contained many of his father's belonging and mementos from his youth. "I can feel his presence here."

"It is a wonder," said Elladan with a touch of sarcasm. "Once he was of age, Aragorn was hardly ever here for more than a few months at a time."

"So he told me, nevertheless there is a remnant of his spirit here," said Eldarion, sitting on the corner of the bed. "I believe that mother was also an infrequent resident in her own home."

"Yes, Arwen spent much time in Lothlórien," said Elrohir. "In fact, on reflection, it is a wonder they were ever in the same place long enough to meet and fall in love."

"Fortunately for Eldarion, they did," said Legolas, causing his friend to blush.

"I would say you three are even more fortunate, otherwise you would not be graced with my presence," he declared, feigning an air of self-importance. Three pairs of elvish eyes stared in astonishment at the boldness that had suddenly overcome Eldarion.

"There must be some kind of magic in this room," said Legolas. "For an instant I could have sworn that was Aragorn speaking. He often held the same high opinion of himself when he was in our company."

"Well, it is only fair to warn you, Eldarion, son of Aragorn," teased Elladan, trying unsuccessfully to look stern, and glaring at the others who were not even trying to contain their mirth, "that such a self-centred attitude will only result in all three of us attempting to teach you a little humility."

"I would settle for being shown the baths," replied Eldarion cheekily, not in the least intimidated for he was quickly learning how to deal with his playful elders. "I do not think Lord Celeborn is going to admit us to the dining hall until we are 'refreshed', and I, for one, am starving!"


The tolling of the bell announcing the evening meal rang clearly throughout Imladris and its welcome sound caused a flurry of activity as the four travellers hurriedly finished their bathing and dressed for dinner.

"Elrohir does not have unsightly knees, at least to my eyes," Eldarion whispered to Legolas, after he had actually 'looked' at his uncle's legs more closely.

"No, he does not. It was his vanity that I was really teasing him about. Do not worry, it is a game we have often played, there was no real insult given or taken," explained Legolas with a smile.

"Ai, Legolas, I see you have at least chosen slightly more formal attire," said Elrohir walking up to his friend, pretending to brush some unseen lint from the shoulder of Legolas' pale blue embossed satin tunic. "Certainly not as elegant as mine, but passable," he said as he made a great show of straightening his own deep blue velvet robes.

"Well, we both know whom the maidens find most attractive," said Legolas with a wink at Eldarion, "and it is not you, Elrohir."

"No, it is I!" declared Elladan. "If you two are quite finished, can we proceed to dinner? I find I am suddenly in need of a glass of wine!" he said, placing a hand on each of their shoulders and directing them towards the hall."

"We are a long way from Haldir's cellar, you will have to settle for Lord Celeborn's choice tonight,"  teased Legolas.  Elladan rolled his eyes in disgust at the rather loud snort of amusement from Elrohir, but refrained from making any comment.

"Gimli is right," Eldarion muttered to himself, shaking his head, greatly amused by the 'friendly’ rivalry and constant teasing in which his companions indulged. "Elves are crazy!"

As they entered the dining hall, Legolas noted sadly that there were far more empty tables in this large hall than there had been the last time he had visited here, another sign of the fading of his kind. However, he was pleased to find there were still enough musicians to provide entertainment while they ate and soon the room was filled with the merry sound of Elvish laughter as, all during dinner, they related their adventures to anyone who cared to hear.

Celeborn was slightly concerned when he heard of Eldarion's mishap with the tea, but could not restrain his mirth when Legolas described his Adar's tree hugging incident.

"Thranduil has always claimed to love his forest, but that is taking fondness a little too far, I think. Has he no sense of decorum?" he asked smiling inwardly at the mental image Legolas' description conjured.

"Not after he had two cups of Eldarion's tea," laughed Legolas in reply.

"I hope you manage to keep out of trouble while you are here, Eldarion," Celeborn cautioned with a smile in his eyes. “But I fear that judging by the company you are forced to keep, that may be well nigh impossible." The three elves smiled at the jest, but did not fail to recognise the implied suggestion in the Elf Lord's words that they be on their best behaviour. Satisfied that he had made himself clear, Celeborn continued speaking to Eldarion.

"Since you are here to learn about your heritage, I think you and I will spend tomorrow together. Meet me in the library after breakfast and I will see to your more 'formal' education."

"I will be there, my lord," replied the young man eagerly, for he really was interested in learning more about both the Elves and the Dúnedain.

"By your leave, grandfather, Elladan and I wish to show Eldarion some of the beauty of Imladris at night," requested Elrohir politely.

"An excellent idea," declared Celeborn, "you are excused. Perhaps you should first make a short visit to the wine cellar and select a bottle to send to my dear friend, Haldir. I shall send a messenger to Lothlórien tomorrow, for in light of your recent escapades, I am certain he is wondering whether you have managed to arrive home safely."

"As you wish," said Elladan, noticing a slight hint of reprimand in Celeborn's voice. As the three left the hall the elder Elf turned to Legolas. "Shall we also take a walk? Some of the gardens are still well tended, and you know I share your love of the starlight."

Gold and silver hair glowed palely under the starlight as the two Elves wandered silently through the garden outside the dining hall. Wordlessly Celeborn indicated that Legolas should be seated on one of the stone benches and when they were both settled, he broke the silence.

"You have been through a difficult time recently have you not, Legolas?" he asked as the depth of ageless eyes met the shining brightness of youth, gently easing the turmoil within.

"Yes, I almost succumbed to the sea longing on the way here, and my battle to overcome it drained my strength. Had it not been for Adar and the stone Lady Galadriel gave him, I fear I would have faded away," confessed Legolas, more than willing to share his troubles with one as wise and compassionate as he knew Celeborn to be.

"Yes, I felt Thranduil use it," he stated, smiling at the astonished look on his young kinsman's face.

"How?" was all Legolas could ask, at a loss for words.

"The power Thranduil called upon through the stone, came not only from Galadriel but from one of his kin as well," explained Celeborn.

"You are referring to yourself," Legolas correctly surmised, feeling very humble that such revered Elves would be concerned for his well-being. "You have my gratitude, I did not realise such a thing was possible."

"Do not be surprised. Just as Eldarion is young and still has much to learn about his heritage, the same applies to you, but that is not what I wish to discuss at this time. As Thranduil has likely told you, his gift to you is not a cure for the sea longing, so I would offer you some thoughts which may help ease you through what yet lies before you."

"Please do, for I value your words, and your advice," Legolas replied.

"The path you have chosen to follow is a difficult one, strong friendships with mortal beings can only lead to grief for us, as I am sure you are beginning to realise."

"Only too well," said Legolas sadly. "Aragorn is showing signs of his advancing age and every time I see him I am reminded that his years are numbered."

"And out of your love for him, you wish to remain here until he dies, rather than subject him to the grief of losing you to the call of the sea," suggested Celeborn.

"You understand my dilemma well," said Legolas, "I am torn between two great desires, but for the moment I believe I have the strength to resist the lure of Valinor."

"Maybe it is easier than you imagine, consider this: I have every reason to sail to the West, for that is where my heart and soul now lives, but I also desire to remain here for a while longer. Knowing that I will have all eternity to be with Galadriel makes it easier to spend, what will only be a short span of time for an immortal being, here in Middle Earth. Your choice is much the same, you need only deny the call of the sea for however many years it will be until you have fulfilled your vow to Aragorn."

"I had not thought of it like that. I think I understand now why Adar refused my request to sail with me into the west. Before long, Elves will be no more in Middle Earth, and then he will feel free to join us in Valinor."

"Exactly, so you see, there is really no need to despair, simply live each day as it comes. Enjoy the time you have left with your friends secure in the knowledge that, in time, which is something we have in abundance, all your heart's desires can be fulfilled."

"That is a very comforting thought, and I thank you," said Legolas, suddenly feeling as if a weight had been lifted from his soul, freeing his spirit from its melancholy and placing the sea longing in chains.

"You are welcome." Celeborn replied. "Now I would like to hear about what you and your friends have accomplished in Minis Tirith and Ithilien." Happy to comply with this request, Legolas spent a pleasant few hours describing his village and the gardens he had helped Arwen build in the White City. Celeborn had many questions and by the time his curiosity was finally satisfied, and they eventually retired to their rooms, the first pale light of dawn had already appeared on the horizon.

Sleep eluded Legolas, and rather than toss restlessly in bed, he decided that a refreshing early morning swim in the pool he had mentioned to Eldarion was just what he needed. The sunlight sparkled on the clear water, making it look even more inviting, and he quickly undressed and dived in. The initial shock of the icy cold water on his body was almost painful, and he swam for several minutes before the chill penetrated through his skin, signalling it was time to leave the water. Although he was tempted to lie in the grass and let the warmth of the sun dry him, he still vividly remembered the prank the Twins had played on him many years ago so he quickly dried himself and donned his clothes.

Not wishing to leave to solitude of the glade, Legolas settled himself on the bank of the pool and casually tossed pebbles into the water, watching with fascination the ever-expanding circles of the ripples they created and musing on the conversation between himself and Celeborn of the previous night. Legolas was beginning to feel that with the combination of his newfound strength, courtesy of his Adar and the advice of Lord Celeborn, that he could hold the sea longing at bay, at least for a few more years. Deep inside he knew that the time of Aragorn's passing was fast approaching, and it would unleash a pain and grief such as he had not felt since his dear mother had departed for the Halls of Mandos. When that happened, he would willingly listen to the call of the sea, and sail to the comfort of Valinor.

"But what of Gimli? Eldarion?" a voice whispered softly in his mind. How could he have forgotten that he had other mortal friends? How could he leave them? Many disturbing questions remained unanswered as his thoughts were interrupted by the sound of an excited voice shouting,

"Here he is Elladan, I have found our wayward friend! We have been looking for you everywhere, Legolas!" exclaimed Elrohir.

"You can not have been looking very hard, for I have been here all morning," Legolas replied, his smile erasing the sadness from his fair face.

"What are you doing here, anyway?" asked Elladan, who had seen the change in demeanour and allowed his concern to be heard in the tone of his voice.

"I came for a swim, and I have just been sitting here enjoying the warmth of the sunshine," he explained, adding in a teasing manner, "not that my whereabouts are any of your business!"

"They are when we want your help!" declared Elrohir. "Or if you need our help," he added sincerely, placing a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder in a gesture that let Legolas know that he was also aware that there was something amiss.

"Thank you," he replied, smiling in appreciation of Elrohir's support, "I will remember that, but what do you need help with so urgently?"

"We thought that after the noon meal, we would rescue Eldarion and give him a more 'practical' history lesson. He was asking about Gilraen last night and we promised to show him her memorial, but the whole area has been untended for so long that it is overgrown with weeds," explained Elladan. "Since you helped Arwen with the gardens that were in a similar state of disarray in Minas Tirith, we decided to seek your expert guidance to make the area more respectable before we take Eldarion there."

"It would be my pleasure, " agreed Legolas with a sly grin. "Does this mean I am in charge of the work detail?"

"Yes, but do not abuse your power, O Prince of the Garden, or our retribution will be swift," joked Elrohir, bowing in mock respect.

Following Legolas' instructions, it took them a mere two hours, of much harder toil than that to which the Twins were accustomed, to clear the vines that ensnared the statue and its surrounds, and return the small garden to its previous beauty. Well satisfied with their efforts, the three 'gardeners' found themselves once again in need of some soap and hot water.

 

Although Celeborn had also not had much sleep after his discussion with Legolas the night before, Eldarion found him to be in a pleasant mood when they met in the library shortly after breakfast.

"Before we begin, I think perhaps you should tell me something of yourself," suggested Celeborn, indicating for Eldarion to be seated in the chair opposite.

"Well," he began a little nervously, still awed by the powerful presence of his great grandsire, "I will be twenty two years old next month. I have studied many of the history books in that are in the library at home. Legolas has taught me much about woodcraft and archery and I am considered a good archer but a better swordsman."

"I take it Aragorn is teaching you many of the techniques he used as a Ranger?"

"Yes, and I am also learning as much as I can from my father about my duties and responsibilities as heir to the throne," Eldarion said proudly.

"Excellent! And do you have anyone waiting for your return?" asked Celeborn, smiling as the colour rose slightly in Eldarion's cheeks. "Aside from your parents, I mean."

"Yes, there is a maiden who has stolen my heart, I hope that one day, if our parents approve, that we will be wed."

"I am very pleased to hear that," Celeborn said, more to himself than to Eldarion. "I heard all about your adventures on the way here last night, but tell me why you felt it necessary to come to Imladris?"

"Although there are many history books and scrolls in the archives of Minas Tirith that tell of the deeds of the Men who were my forebears, there is not a great deal about Elves. I wished to know more about that part of my heritage, to meet my Elven kin as well as to visit the place where my parents grew up," Eldarion explained.

"You are understandably curious," conceded Celeborn, "but I hope you realise that your future is as a mortal. One day you will be King of Gondor and Arnor, like your father before you, despite the fact that there is elvish blood in your veins."

"I know I am not an Elf, I merely wanted to meet you and my uncles, to get to know something about you, for I thought that if you were anything like Legolas, I would consider myself very fortunate to be able to call you kin,” the young man explained.

"You are very fond of the Wood Elf, I see," commented Celeborn.

"Yes, he has been more like an older brother to me than just my father's friend," Eldarion said. "He has taught me much on this journey, not only about survival skills, but about Elves as well. I only wish... " he stopped suddenly realising that he was about to comment on a matter very personal to Legolas.

"What do you wish?" asked Celeborn. "You can trust me to be discreet, you know."

"I wish that he did not suffer so from the call of the sea," Eldarion said sadly. "I wish there was some way I could help him bear it."

"Perhaps there is something you can do."

Eldarion's eyes lit up with hope that quickly turned to disappointment when Celeborn raised his hand to prevent further discussion and said, "I need to think more fully on the problem before I offer my suggestion. I fear you will not like what I have in mind. In the mean time, come with me, there is something I wish to show you."

Eldarion was feeling very confused by the Elf' Lord’s enigmatic comments, and he thought wryly that whereas the others all exhibited the Elven tendency to answer questions with such responses, Celeborn was a master of the art. Eldarion found it both annoying and frustrating, but dared not press the issue. Instead he obediently followed the Elf Lord into a large gallery that had a mural painted on the full length of one of the walls.

"Is that Isildur?" he asked, filled with awe at the life like painting of his most infamous ancestor captured at the moment he cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand.

"Yes, you are looking at a part of your own mortal history," acknowledged Celeborn, pleased to see the young man was suitably impressed. "Despite his fatal weakness, his lust for power, he was a great and courageous warrior. There was much about him to be admired and respected."

"Father says that he thinks part of the reason he was able to resist the lure of the Ring was that he did not want to make the same mistake as Isildur," said Eldarion, his voice filled with pride. "Father is a good King, just as I hope to be one day."

"As I am certain you will be," said Celeborn as the noon bell chimed in the background. "It is time for the midday meal, I am sure a growing young man like yourself must be feeling hungry by now?"

"Now that you mention it, it does seem a long time since breakfast," said Eldarion.

"Then let us see if we can arrive at the dining hall before your uncles and Legolas," said Celeborn, joining in Eldarion's laughter as they walked quickly towards their destination.

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List