Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On the Road to Imladris  by jenolas


10  Namarie

 

When Elladan broached the subject of the intended visit to Gilraen’s memorial, Celeborn approved whole heartedly, and in fact he thought it only proper that, as was the custom among Men, that the young man should pay his respects to his departed grandmother.

"I think that of all the differences between Men and Elves, it is immortality that I sometimes wish we had been gifted with as well," commented Eldarion, shocking all the Elves around him into silence. "What is wrong?" he asked, totally bewildered by the grim looks on all their faces.

"I hope that was a mere expression of whimsy, Eldarion, the fall of the Númenóreans was rooted in such envy," Celeborn said sternly.

"Oh, I did not realise what I was saying," confessed Eldarion. "I meant only that it saddens me that my grandparents are no longer alive, for I would have dearly loved to meet them."

"You have not met your elvish grandparents either," stated Elrohir.

"No, nor will I, but I am happy in the knowledge that they are living, albeit out of my reach, in the Undying Lands. Perhaps I should choose my words more carefully," said Eldarion apologetically.

"That would be wise," agreed Celeborn, "and I believe you should also return to your lessons after you have visited the memorial. I will attempt to ensure you understand all the ramifications of the history of Men, it would be most unwise of you to accidentally propagate any notion of dissatisfaction with your heritage."

"Especially considering the comments we have heard in Minis Tirith these last few years," added Legolas.

After Eldarion and his uncles had excused themselves and left the dining hall, Celeborn turned to Legolas, "Now just what has been happening in the White City? Your warning sounded ominous."

Legolas explained that he perceived a growing estrangement developing between Men and Elves as the years passed.

"None of the Elves of Ithilien feel welcome in the city anymore, we all feel a growing animosity towards our kind. I admit I find it difficult to understand, for we have done nothing to cause the citizens to harbour ill will."

"Perhaps they are suspicious of your motives for remaining so close to the King?" suggested Celeborn. "Perhaps they think you are using him to achieve your own 'mysterious' goals?"

"My motive is purely out of a bond of friendship," declared Legolas defensively. "It is for that reason that I moved to Ithilien, to help restore it and Gondor to its former glory."

"Yes, but the ordinary Man may think even that strange, or consider it just another elvish ploy. Faramir, Éomer, the Prince of Dol Amroth, are all honourable men, but you have obviously not dealt with the dishonourable kind. Also, do not forget that Ithilien was deserted many years before the War, and the memory of the Elves faded into myth. I am certain many are afraid of the 'mystery' surrounding the Firstborn, it has always been so," said Celeborn, a hint of sadness in his voice.

"Gimli believes that as history is passed on to the young ones, it is being coloured with resentment towards the Elves for not 'honouring' the old Alliance, for not coming to Gondor's aid," said Legolas, his eyes flashing with anger at the selfishness of the accusation. The Elves had been busy defending their own lands and ridding Dol Guldur of Sauron's minions.

"Gimli is wise. But tell me, how does Arwen fare amidst this growing dislike towards Elvenkind?" Celeborn asked, concern in his brilliant blue eyes.

"Arwen is well loved by all, how could she not be? She is an Elf who gave up her immortality for love. There is nothing for her to fear, except how Eldarion will be received as King," Legolas answered.

"Ai, it suddenly becomes clear: Arwen objected to this trip because she did not want Eldarion, who will one day be King of Men, to perceive himself as being part elf," said Celeborn. "I had wondered about that. To be considered as such would certainly undermine his authority in a place where Elves were no longer respected or trusted."

"I agree. Arwen and Aragorn were at odds because Aragorn wanted his son to learn more about his dual heritage and he needed to come here to accomplish that, as well as to improve his survival skills, I might add. Anyway, neither he nor I underestimate the young man, we do not think there is a problem with Eldarion's perception of himself," said Legolas, smiling reassuringly. "He personally declared to the world that he was 'not an Elf', and he showed a great pride in his ancestors when we passed through the Argonath. He will make a good King; after all he has an excellent example to follow. I believe Arwen's real fear stems from her knowledge that it is only by Aragorn's death that her son will come to the throne. From then on, he will be alone, for although she is now mortal, I fear she will fade away with grief, that she will quickly follow Aragorn to whatever awaits him in death." Legolas choked on the lump in his throat, unable to continue as his own grief at the thought of Aragorn's demise welled up inside, causing his eyes to brighten with tears.

"And what will become of you, Legolas?" Celeborn asked gently, sensing the depth of the younger elf's pain. "Will your grief devour your strength; will you then answer the call of the sea?"

"Yes," Legolas whispered through the tears that now fell freely. "There will be nothing to bind me here once my promise to Aragorn is fulfilled. I have already decided to ask Gimli to join me, somehow I sense that he will be granted permission to sail with me."

"I also think that likely," agreed Celeborn, smiling with secret knowledge. "Then you will also leave Eldarion alone," he stated. Legolas looked up sharply, his heart suddenly filled with pain for the all the losses his young friend would suffer in a short space of time.

"I do not wish to cause him grief by my leaving," he said looking directly into the depths of Celeborn's clear blue eyes. Suddenly it seemed as if he could hear the voice of ageless wisdom in his mind, not giving him the answer to his dilemma, but merely confirming what he already knew in his heart. "For Eldarion's sake, I must never return to Minas Tirith."


"Well, I, for one, will be highly offended if you hold to that promise. In fact, I will not allow it!" exclaimed Aragorn as he walked purposefully over to where Legolas and Celeborn were still seated at the table although the noon meal was long since finished and the hall had been emptied of diners. Ignoring the look of astonishment on the faces of the Elves, he bowed respectfully to Celeborn then sat beside a very dejected Legolas and placed a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder. "What has caused you to make such a drastic decision, mellon nin?"

"What are you doing here, Aragorn?" asked Legolas, placing his hand over the one on his shoulder in greeting, but ignoring the painful question as he fought to regain his composure.

"I asked first!" declared Aragorn with a smile, which faded quickly as he realised that Legolas was in no mood for joviality. "I left Minas Tirith not long after you and Eldarion to attend to some business in the Shire and I am just now returning south. My curiosity won out and I decided to come here, to see how well Eldarion was getting along with his uncles."

"You mean to make sure he was not learning too much of their mischievous ways and enough of his heritage?" surmised Celeborn, highly amused at the irony in that Aragorn, who had once been an instigator of many of the pranks, was now trying to protect his son from the very same.

"I doubt that Elladan and Elrohir have changed any over the years since I last saw them, and my son can at times be easily influenced by the lure of mischief," conceded Aragorn, never taking his concerned eyes from the melancholy form of the Elf seated next to him.

"I am sure Eldarion will be both very surprised and very pleased to see you. I will go and find him," offered Celeborn, sensing that Legolas would prefer to speak to Aragorn in private.

"Tell me, Legolas, why would you wish never to return to Minis Tirith, and how would such an action benefit Eldarion?" Aragorn asked when the door close behind Celeborn as he left the hall.

"It is something I have been thinking about for quite some time now," Legolas said. "As you know, the time of the Elves is over, and although my friends and I have always been welcome in your court, it is not so in the city itself."

"You are referring to those stable hands whose conversation Eldarion overheard," stated Aragorn.

"Amongst others," Legolas said with a slight nod of agreement. "It does not serve Eldarion's future as King to be considered an 'outsider' amongst those he must rule."

"His close association with the Elves in Ithilien, and you in particular, does not make him an outsider," denied Aragorn.

"As the estrangement between Men and Elves grows deeper, I am afraid it will," contradicted Legolas. "Many will not forget that elvish blood flows in his veins."

"It will no longer be a concern come the day when there are no more Elves in Ithilien," said Aragorn, saddened by the implication that Legolas would also no longer be there.

"That is the other reason that I feel it best to distance myself from Eldarion. He faces a future filled with grief."

Aragorn understood that the grief to which Legolas was referring was his own and Arwen's passing, and he allowed him to continue without interruption. "I do not want to add to it, as I know I will when Gimli and I sail to Valinor." Aragorn was slightly taken aback at that statement, but the truth of his words could not be denied.

"Do you honestly believe that Eldarion would feel any less grief if you were to leave him now, rather than in the future?" Aragorn asked, taking Legolas' chin in his hand and forcing him to look into his eyes. "Do you truly not realise it is already too late, that it will be the same for him now or then? My son loves you like an older brother, and our friendship runs even deeper." Legolas managed a smile that was so radiant it found it's way into his eyes,

"I do know," affirmed Legolas, "just as you know how deep the bonds of our friendship run in my heart."

"Then I will hear no more talk of your leaving us," said Aragorn sternly. "The bitterness of mortality is a burden men learn to deal with, as difficult as that may be for an Elf to understand."

"It is also a lesson an Elf who chooses mortal friends must learn, as Adar is fond of telling me," said Legolas with a smile.

"Then know that whatever the future brings, Eldarion will have the strength to bear it," said Aragorn. "It will not be as hard on him as you think if he also has the love and understanding of his young lady on which to rely."

"As Arwen's love gave you strength throughout the Quest. I had not considered that," Legolas admitted.

"That is not surprising, since you are not in love... yet. However, I am sure there must be many lovely maids in Valinor," he teased lightly, his ready acceptance of both their fates easing Legolas' fears somewhat.

"I still believe it would be best if I did not visit the city any more," said Legolas adamantly. "It is an uncomfortable feeling to be where one is no longer welcome."

"I understand, and since you feel so strongly about it, I will simply find more reasons for Eldarion, Arwen and myself to travel through Ithilien," stated Aragorn, as he drew Legolas into a brotherly embrace. "Speaking of Eldarion, I wonder where he is?"

"With Elladan and Elrohir, I think," offered Legolas with a wry smile.

                                                           ******


In fact, Eldarion was seated in Celeborn's study, sipping the glass of wine he had been given to ward off his earlier chill.


Celeborn did not have to look far to find Eldarion, for the young man was returning to his rooms to change out of his dripping wet clothes, and almost collided with his great grandsire as he rounded a corner. The new arrivals in the courtyard, who were guards from his father's court, had caught his attention and he was busy looking back over his shoulder to see if he recognised their faces, rather than watching where he was going. Too late he heeded the warning shout from Elladan who was close behind him and he ran headlong into Celeborn, who, with the swift reflexes and strength of his kind, managed to catch hold of Eldarion's very wet tunic and prevent him from falling onto the stone pathway.

"I am certain you have a reasonable explanation for your unruly state?" Celeborn asked as he shook off the droplets of water that had sprayed onto his robes from the young man's dripping hair.

"Well..er." stammered Eldarion, not wising to implicate his uncles, but neither wishing to lie to his formidable great grandsire. "I was fishing with Elladan and Elrohir, and somehow managed to trip and fall into the stream," he finally managed to say. Not quite a lie, for he had fallen into the water whilst fishing, but as to how he tripped, well, fortunately Celeborn did not enquire further.

"Those are the King's guards, are they not?" asked Elrohir eagerly, pointing to the men in the courtyard. "Where is Aragorn? It is too long since we last met."

"Speaking with Legolas, and they are not to be disturbed," warned Celeborn. "I ask that you and Elladan go and see to the needs of the guards and their horses." The two Elves made haste to perform their assigned task, leaving a cold, wet Eldarion standing shivering next to Celeborn.

 "Go and change into some dry clothes before you become ill," he suggested kindly. "Then meet me in my study, I have something to discuss with you while we wait for your father to finish his conversation with Legolas. Do not worry," he said in response to the look of dismay on the young man's face, "I imagine this will not take long, and I am aware that Aragorn is anxious to see you.


 As I mentioned yesterday, I know of a way you can help Legolas deal with his sea longing," Celeborn began without preamble.

"You also said I would not like it," Eldarion acknowledged.

"No, you would not, for I was going to suggest that you distance yourself from Legolas and allow him the freedom to leave, without causing you grief, when the day arrives that he can no longer resist the call of the sea," explained Celeborn.

"You mean stop visiting Ithilien? Not maintain our friendship? You are correct, I do not like those ideas," he answered. "However, I would also hate to see him suffer on my account, any more than he does already. There must be another way!"

"What I wish to tell you is that it is a dilemma that you no longer need concern yourself with, for Legolas has decided not to return to Minas Tirith," said Celeborn.

"I find that unlikely," said Eldarion, stubbornly refusing to believe such nonsense. “Legolas and my father are very close friends."

"Just so," agreed Celeborn, "and even as we speak, I believe that Aragorn is trying to dissuade Legolas from his decision."

"Then I must go and add my voice to the discussion," said Eldarion, rushing from the room and running quickly to the dining hall, entering just in time to hear Legolas' last comment.

"No I am not with my uncles, I am right here!" Eldarion exclaimed as he moved to lovingly embrace his father. "Greetings Father. I have come to help you talk Legolas out of his foolish notion," he said as he turned to face his friend.

"That will not be necessary," said Legolas, as he and Aragorn exchanged a look that indicated they were both very pleased with themselves and the understanding they had reached. " I still intend not to visit Minas Tirith, but I will not abandon my friendships, and for as long as I remain there, you and your parents will always be welcome in Ithilien."

                                                   *******


"Greetings, King Elessar," called one well-known voice from the entrance to the dining hall, causing Aragorn to turn towards the doorway with a welcoming smile on his face.

"Welcome to Imladris, Your Majesty," said the other in the same light- hearted tone and bowing slightly in a manner that the King was certain was not quite respect.

"Elladan! Elrohir!" exclaimed Aragorn, as he walked quickly up to them and embraced each of the twins in turn. "It is good to see you both again."

"I hope we are not interrupting anything," Elladan said, inclining his head toward Legolas.

"Not at all, Eldarion and I have finished our conversation with our most stubborn friend here," Aragorn said, placing his arm around Legolas' shoulder. He was rewarded with a brilliant smile and there was a twinkle in the Elf's eyes as he responded.

"I think I liked him better when he was Estel, he has become far too accustomed to having his orders obeyed these days," grumbled Legolas.

"My subjects obey me," corrected Aragorn, laughing. "My elvish friends do so only if it suits their purpose."

"Have we ever been any different?" asked Elrohir with a shrug.

"Not really, but I hope it suits you to bring me some refreshments? It has been a long and trying day, and I am sorely in need of at least a glass of wine,” he pleaded.

"I believe Elladan and Elrohir are experts when it comes to choosing wine," said Celeborn dryly, causing much mirth amongst all but Aragorn who did not understand the joke.

"Would someone care to tell me what was so amusing?" he asked, as Elladan disappeared into the kitchens and returned quickly with the wine, a loaf of freshly baked bread and a platter of cold meat, cheese and assorted fresh fruits.

"It started with our stay in Lothlórien." began Eldarion, and with pieces of the story of his adventures being added where appropriate by the others, Aragorn listened to the tales of their travels while he ate, his emotions ranging between amusement, concern, and even anger when the danger Eldarion had been in was told.

"The whole adventure sounds like something Bilbo would have written a book about," he commented, remembering the old Hobbit fondly. "I am pleased to see you have survived unscathed Eldarion, and fortunately for you, your mother has no idea as to the kind of trouble you found yourself in, or she would probably never let you leave your room again!" Eldarion blushed, but laughed along with the others.

"The same could be said of you, when you were younger, Aragorn," Elrohir reminded him, "Adar was often tempted to lock you in your room."

"That was only to protect me from you two and your troublemaking," retorted Aragorn playfully.

"At least we were not deceitful like Legolas," Elladan added in their defence. "How many wagers did he win with the help of the trees he talks to, I wonder?" All eyes turned to the accused, who had been silently enjoying the glimpse of the past being played out before him. Insulting their wood Elf friend was also one of their favourite pastimes.

"I was never deceitful," declared the accused, trying to sound angry rather than amused. "Not once did any of you ask exactly 'how' I knew who was tracking me, it is not my fault that you assumed that it was merely some 'strange' Wood Elf skill."

"Which, in fact, being able to speak to the trees is," said Aragorn, winking at his friends who were nodding in reluctant agreement. "Deceitful is perhaps too harsh a description, but you are definitely a most evasive Elf, Legolas."

"Tricky is the word I would chose," whispered Eldarion to Legolas, who burst out laughing,

"How long do you plan to remain in Imladris?" Celeborn asked, bringing an end to the discussion which he feared could easily turn into a challenge of some kind: he was not in the mood to act as adjudicator.

"A few days, then we must return to Minas Tirith," Aragorn replied. "I have brought your horses," he said to Legolas and Eldarion. " I hoped we could make the return journey together?" he asked, pleased to see Legolas' nod of agreement to the plan, and to hear Eldarion's enthusiastic,

"I would like that very much!"

*******

Aragorn and Eldarion spent the next days either studying with Celeborn, or exploring the wonders of the place both his parents had called home. Aragorn even took him to the secluded glade where he and Arwen often met when they were courting.

"This is a very romantic place, Father," Eldarion commented, as he stepped onto the small bridge over the stream, "your own secret garden."

"Romantic, yes, but secret...well... I am sure your uncles knew all our 'secret' meeting places," Aragorn said ruefully.

"Why do they never visit us?" Eldarion asked suddenly changing the subject, for he had grown extremely fond them both and the question as to why they were so distant had been in his thoughts for some time. "Do they also feel unwelcome in our city, like Legolas and his friends do?"

"I am sure they would notice the change in attitude towards Elvenkind if they did visit," he said sadly, despairing at how quickly man could turn on those who were once their friends, "however that is not the reason they stay away. It is difficult to explain, but simply put, they said goodbye to your mother when she chose a mortal life. They felt that it would be best not to be there as a constant reminder of what she had given up, to give her any cause to regret her choice. It is out of their great love for her that they make this sacrifice, and she accepts it as such, although it makes her very sad, for she misses them as much as I am certain they miss her."

"I am not an Elf, and I am certainly learning that I understand them even less the more I am among them, but what I have learned, is that their emotions run very deep. I know Mother would never regret choosing to live a mortal life with you, she loves you too much."

"As I love her. Shall we return home and tell her how wise you have become?" Aragorn asked, embracing his son and kissing him lightly on the forehead.

*********:

On the eve of their departure, the Elves of Imladris held a feast that rivalled the one Thranduil had held in honour of his son. There was plenty of food and wine, and after the meal, the musicians, who never seemed to tire, accompanied the singing and dancing, which lasted into the early hours of the morning.

"Have you ever seen Legolas in robes?" Eldarion asked his father as they sat together watching the twins as they danced with every maid who caught their eye.

"Yes, at my wedding," Aragorn replied. "Why?"

"At the banquet in Eryn Lasgalen he wore his most formal robes and looked so majestic and powerful, so.."

"..Like an Elf?" supplied Legolas light heartedly, as he joined his friends.

"Well, yes, now that you mention it," declared Eldarion, "but I meant it as a compliment," he added realising that his words may not sound that way.

"Thank you," said Legolas. "Since you were so impressed, I will come to your wedding dressed in my 'regal' attire."

"I thought you were never setting foot in Minas Tirith again?" teased Aragorn.

"For such an auspicious occasion, I will make an exception," Legolas declared, the look he gave Aragorn warning him to make further comment only if he dared. Aragorn merely smiled happily at the Elf's slight change of heart and said,

"Then we must make sure to invite you to every 'auspicious' occasion we can find reason to celebrate."

Later that morning, Eldarion and Legolas, accompanied by King Elessar and his guards, said a final farewell to their friends and kin in Imladris and departed for Minis Tirith. Aragorn had convinced Legolas that it would be very impolite of him not to at least see Arwen once more but the Elf remained in the city only long enough to explain his decision to the Queen and return her son safely.



EPILOGUE:

Several years later, Legolas arrived at Eldarion's wedding, true to his word, in his most formal attire, including a silver circlet that adorned his golden hair and around which flowers from Ithilien were entwined. Although Eldarion only had eyes for his beautiful bride that evening, he joined his guests at the edge of the dance floor and stood transfixed as Legolas and Arwen danced with all the beauty and elegance of the Elves. The musicians played a melody that he recognised as one of his mother's favourite elf songs and as they danced, they sang in soft, sweet voices, their faces shining with a light and an aura about them that he had never before seen.

Looking around to where his father was seated, Eldarion saw eyes filled with love and bright with tears of happiness for two he loved dearly. The music and the singing stopped, and when Legolas placed a delicate kiss on Arwen's lips, the magic of the moment was complete.

Eldarion was not aware of the earlier meeting between Legolas and his father, nor did he know that Aragorn had told his dearest friend of his plans to choose the time of his passing. The dance had been a gift from Legolas, one that allowed Aragorn to see Arwen as she had once been, for a moment her elvish grace had seemed restored.

The memory of that night lingered as the young King leaned on the wall of the tower, tears filling his eyes as he watched the grey ship disappear down the Anduin, toward the sea and the Undying Lands. All the grief that Legolas had feared for him had come to pass now, he had buried his father and said goodbye to his mother, who had wandered alone to Lórien.

This morning Legolas, who was no longer able or willing to resist the call of the sea, had taken his leave. The Elf was still grieving for Aragorn, and seeing him in so much pain, knowing that the only relief he would find would be over the sea, and for love of his friend he did as Celeborn had once told him he must, and let him go.

As the ship finally disappeared from view, Eldarion felt something soft brush his fingers and a sense of peace fill his soul. A vague recollection of a time in Ithilien many years ago crossed his mind, and as he kept perfectly still and studied the brightly coloured butterfly that had come to rest on his hand, he almost believed he heard a soft voice whisper, "Namarie, mellon nin."

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List