Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elrond's Boys  by Dragon

As he opened the book a small scrap of paper fell out. Elrond recognised it immediately; he had put it in there for safe keeping years before. It was only waste now. . . it had only been fit for the bin hundreds of years ago. But he had kept it, although the memories associated with it were not as pleasant as some.

Elladan and Elrohir were, against their wishes, not enrolled in the classes normally held in Rivendell for the young elves. Well aware of the responsibilities that would fall on their shoulders as they got older, Elrond had decided that they needed specialist training for the role. Consequently their mornings were spent in their schoolroom, library or their father's study getting tuition from experts.

Elrond and Celebrian were well aware that these arrangements did not please their sons, who would much rather be learning their letters in the south hall with all the other young elves. They had to stay indoors studying dwarf runes and examining old manuscripts on two mornings a week when the other young elves would be playing, swimming or bridging streams. Recently this division had taken them apart from the other children, and Celebrian had noticed that some that used to be friends were now rarely spoken of. However they were allowed to participate in the afternoon training sessions, and for now, with this they must be content.

~*~

Elrohir sat in the schoolroom his chin resting in his hands as he watched Glorfindel trace pathways on a map of middle earth on the desk before him. It was a warm morning without a breeze, and interesting although the lesson was he would much rather be playing outside.

"I do not understand Glorfindel," Elrohir said after staring puzzled at the map for some time.

Glorfindel sat down on the bench beside him, spreading the map out in front of him on the desk.

"What do you not understand?" Glorfindel asked, wondering how his explanation of the march of the soldiers in some ancient battle could confuse him. He looked hard at Elladan as he spoke.

Elrohir caught the look and nudged his twin, who was looking out of the window, watching a bird. Elladan hastily shifted over in his seat and peered at the map. Glorfindel sighed, both boys were bright but Elladan would not pay attention unless it suited him. Where Elrohir submitted thoughtful, researched essays; Elladan wrote the minimum possible.

Elrohir traced his finger along the map, following the path that the older elf had taken.

"I understand why they went round there," he said slowly, "For the mountains were in the way. But Glorfindel, I don't understand why they walked all that way up here when they could have crossed the river here."

Glorfindel pulled the map to him, pointing at the city in questions.

"You are right Elrohir; there was a bridge here. But they did not take that path."

"Why not?" Elrohir asked, sucking the end of his finger as he thought, "The city had not yet been taken. The bridge was safe."

Glorfindel smiled at the boy. Elrohir had recently become a walking question mark, and anything he taught would have to be carefully explained, including the thoughts and motives behind any decision.

"We know now that the bridge was safe. But Silmė did not know that then. Had the bridge been taken he would have been leading his men to slaughter, and the attack would have failed."

"So he was just guessing?" Elrohir sounded shocked at the idea.

Glorfindel smiled and spoke patiently, "No Elrohir, he was choosing a course for the good of his people."

"Had he marched across the bridge that day lives could have been saved."

"And lives could have been lost," Glorfindel ran his hands through his hair, "Elrohir, decisions are not always easy. Had he marched that day, then yes lives could have been saved. But if he had been wrong many more lives would have been lost."

Elrohir sat back, pondering the information. As he was about to speak Elladan leant over cutting across him.

"I would not have waited. I would have marched that day."

Glorfindel sighed; he sometimes felt that Elladan wasn't taking in a word he said.

"There were enough men. We could have taken the bridge." Elladan said stoutly.

"And what then Elladan, how would you fight a battle with wounded men." Glorfindel stopped suddenly as Erestor entered and motioned him outside.

"Boys, can you quietly make a copy of this map, marking the reasons why this route was taken." Glorfindel spoke quickly before leaving the room.

Elladan wriggled impatiently in his seat as he waited for the footsteps to fade as the two elves walked down the hallway. When it was quiet he darted to the window and scrambled out onto the branches.

"Elladan, where are you going?" Elrohir's voice was disapproving.

"Just to pick some cherries." Elladan pointed to the next tree, a short climb away, which had large numbers of the juicy red fruit.

"You will get in trouble Elladan," Elrohir spoke nervously, "Ada was not pleased last time we left lessons."

"Oh Elrohir," Elladan laughed, "Ada was only angry because we got caught and we only got caught because you left the door open. Nobody will find out."

~*~

Elrohir was just putting the finishing touches to his map when Elladan scrambled back in, his mouth stained with cherry juice.

"Delicious," Elladan stuck his tongue out at his brother. "See, I was not caught."

Elrohir scowled at him, sticking his tongue out too.

Elladan sat down again and began sketching, drumming his heels against the bench in a victory salute. Elrohir sent him dirty looks that were ignored. He wished that he were as brave as his brother was; but for all that he wanted to work well and please Glorfindel. He had given up his time to teach the boys and it seemed mean not to listen to him.

Glorfindel entered later holding a sheaf of papers. He was glad to see both boys bent over their work, instead of Elladan disturbing Elrohir as was often the case.

"Very well boys, you worked well today. It is midday."

The two young elves jumped up and began hurrying to their room to wash before their meal. Glorfindel glanced at the work that was handed to him as they passed.

"This is good work Elrohir, well done." He smiled at the boy. He had a hunch that Elrohir was going to end up enjoying books just as much as his father.

However as Elladan passed, trying to get out of the room as quickly as possible, he felt a hand being placed on his shoulder.

"Just a minute Elladan."

Elladan cringed as he saw his brother escape down the corridor. Glorfindel did not let go of him until he was safely back in his seat, and sat down opposite him.

"Did this take you a whole hour Elladan?" Glorfindel asked after examining the work for a minute. The map was carelessly drawn and his comments were brief to say the least.

Elladan rubbed his left moccasin back and forwards along his leg as he looked at Glorfindel. He didn't look that angry, just sitting quietly. Had Elladan known what that quiet look meant he would have run out of the room there and then, but he had not yet known Glorfindel long.

"N . . No." Elladan's voice came out rather more quietly than he would have liked.

"And why not?" Elladan was beginning to pick up a hint of anger in the older elf's voice.

"I was picking cherries" Elladan muttered looking down at the desk, slowly turning as red as the forbidden fruit.

Glorfindel sighed, looking tired suddenly.

"Very well, Elladan. You may go."

Elladan scurried out, shocked at the tone of disgust in Glorfindel's voice. He had never been angry with him before. Suddenly the cherries didn't taste so sweet. In fact he felt rather nauseous.

~*~

Elrohir looked at Elladan with worried eyes when he eventually arrived.

"Glorfindel was angry Elladan." Elrohir's voice sounded frightened.

Elladan turned to face the basin of warm soapy water left ready for them.

"I do not care," he lied.

Elrohir touched his brother's hand.

"He will not be angry for long. Tomorrow he will have forgotten." Elrohir's attempt at comforting his brother sounded feeble, even to his own ears.

"I do not care." Elladan repeated stoutly.

Elrohir gave his brother a little half smile as he lead the way into the dining room, he knew that Elladan would not admit to his apprehension.

~*~

"Ammė. Ada." Elladan and Elrohir spoke together, acknowledging their parents as they took their seats.

Since the twins were as yet too young to routinely eat with their parents in the evening, the family normally met up at midday to eat and talk. This was a family time and it was only rarely that Elrond would invite a friend, usually Glorfindel.

Elrond smiled at his sons' greetings.

"Did you enjoy your lessons this morning?" Celebrian asked as she passed plates to Elrond, who was serving potatoes and carrots onto them.

Elrohir exchanged an extremely obvious uncomfortable look with Elladan.

"Oh yes Ammė, we did maps." Elrohir would never be good at concealing secrets.

Seeing the look, Elrond raised his eyebrows at Celebrian and rolled his eyes. Trouble again.

"And did you behave for Glorfindel?" Elrond asked casually as he carved the meat.

Elrohir nodded, whilst Elladan took a bite of carrot, hoping his father would think he was answering for the two of them. He was not fooled, but decided to take it no further for the moment. Seeing that Elladan had gone at least two minutes without mentioning either swords or training, he had a fair idea of what had happened.

"I hear it is an exciting day in training today," Elrond spoke conversationally, "They will be choosing the groups for the summer."

He had known far in advance of course, but he had not wished to further excite Elladan. The young elves would be split into two groups. One would study archery on the first three days of the week, and fencing on the last three. The other group would study fencing followed by archery. Wednesday afternoon was kept free for special workshops or activities. Since the division was based on ability Elrond was glad that Elladan had not heard of it earlier. One disturbed night was enough.

"Really?" Elladan perked up

"Can I start archery Ada?" Elrohir asked breathlessly, speaking at the same time as his brother. He had long been fascinated with the skill and had often watched the older elves display.

"Yes and yes," Elrond laughed. He knew that before long the boys would be clamouring for training bows of their own.

Celebrian smiled to herself as she watched her husband talk to her spellbound sons about the great archers he had seen, and the battles he had fought in. Although to the other elves he may be a great warrior or leader, at home away from the pressures of his position he liked nothing better than quiet time with his family.

However something was wrong. Elladan had a look of relief on his face rather than excitement as he escaped to change. He was hiding something. And the something was not hard to find.

~*~

Elladan was pulling his training tunic over his head when his mother walked in.

"Ammė!" Elrohir cried with delight running for a hug "Are you going to watch us?"

Celebrian shook her head, ruffling his dark hair.

"Not now Elrohir, I must pick out fabrics this afternoon."

The small face fell. Celebrian's heart melted. Elrohir was so eager to please, and so happy for any attention.

"I will come and watch the displays this summer," she held him close, "That's a promise."

Elrohir beamed happily as his mother turned to her eldest. Elladan's face emerged in time look up at his mother.

"Elladan." Celebrian sounded sad.

"Ada wants to see me," Elladan said quietly finishing the statement.

Celebrian nodded and smiled slightly. Elladan seemed to run from one problem into another.

"Come Elrohir, I will walk with you."

Elrohir walked hand in hand out with his mother, looking back nervously at Elladan.

~*~

"I am not scared." Elladan declared in a quavering voice to his refection as he swept back his hair.

But as he walked along the silent corridors to his father's study the unpleasant feeling grew. The elf standing by the door recognised him, and showed him into the library.

"Master Elladan, My Lord."

Elladan padded over to his father's desk where he was hard at work with some papers. Elladan fidgeted glancing at the bright day outside. Training would be starting and he did not want to be late.

"You may sit." Elrond touched a chair close to his desk, which Elladan obediently sat in.

Eventually Elrond put down his quill and handed Elladan a scrap of paper from his desk.

"Glorfindel tells me this is the work you did for him this morning."

"It is Ada." Elladan spoke quietly, tracing the carving on the arm of the chair.

"I did not know that I had a simple son," Elrond gazed at his son, reaching out to tilt up his chin, "Although better a simple son than a lazy one."

Elladan squirmed, forced to look at his father's face.

"I expected better Elladan."

"I. . . I am sorry Ada."

Elrond did not appear to have heard. He reached into a drawer and handed Elladan a piece of clean paper and a pen.

"When you have finished, Glorfindel is on the East Terrace." Elrond returned to his writing.

Elladan's lip began to quiver as he took the paper.

"But Ada. . ."

Elrond help up a hand, cutting him off.

"I will talk to Glorfindel at the end of each morning Elladan. If there is any work that he does not deem satisfactory you will repeat it here, during training time. Do you understand?"

Elladan gulped back tears.

"Yes Ada."

~*~

Elrond did not have to speak of the matter to Elladan again.




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List