Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elrond's Boys  by Dragon

Elrond had found them in his desk. A bundle of papers, written long ago by an old friend. The pages were yellowed with age but the characteristic scrawl was still visible. It had taken some time for him to succumb to the pleas of his children, but when he had, he had done it well. Describing exactly how he had made that that they had wished to recreate. They had never been able to of course, but it had kept them out of mischief for days.

~*~

It was coming to the end of a long, hot afternoon. Glorfindel was glad to leave the warm stuffiness of the study where he had spent the day. Elrond was busy, preparing for the arrival of important visitors, and it had been a hard day's work to ensure that everything would be in its place.

There was a slight breeze off the river, and it cooled his skin as he strolled towards the southern end of the house. He had, as Celebrian and Elrond were both fully or indeed over occupied, agreed to look in on the boys and keep them company until supper.

They were curiously silent he decided as he passed into the families private quarters. Maybe they only kept their nosiest games and conversation for when he was present, but even so the house was incredibly quiet. All he could hear was a voice, Elrohir's he thought, quietly cajoling someone. He hoped that this was not another of Elladan's 'plans'.

Knocking lightly on the wooden door to the boys' room he entered. The room was light and airy with high windows to prevent small elves climbing out. A counter ran along one side with basins of warm water, opposite a cupboard containing brightly coloured tunics and capes. The furnishings were simple, with only two beds and a few pictures completing the decorations.

One of the beds was domed in the middle, the blankets draped in the shape of a small tent. Elrohir was kneeling on this bed, pulling at the blankets whilst trying to persuade his brother to come out. Seeing Glorfindel he ran over, reaching up. The older elf obliged, hoisting the child onto his hip.

"Glorfindel, Elladan won't come out." Elrohir whispered seriously into his ear.

Glorfindel sighed, the last thing he wanted was Elladan in a stubborn mood. However that was not Elrohir's fault.

"Won't he now?" Glorfindel whispered back, "A pity for he will miss out."

Elrohir looked sadly at the other bed, now with the hump facing the other direction as Glorfindel carried him out of the room, speaking loudly and clearly.

"Come Elrohir, you must be hungry and I have some cakes I cannot manage."

However, some time and a sticky faced Elrohir later, Elladan had still not appeared. Glorfindel waited, wondering whether something else was wrong. Perhaps the child was hurt, or at least upset.

"Run along to the garden Elrohir." Glorfindel stood up, handing the child a damp cloth. Elrohir wiped his hands and handed it back.

"But Elladan . . ."

"I am going to get your troublesome brother." Glorfindel smiled reassuringly as he wiped crumbs from Elrohir's face.

~*~

"Elladan." Glorfindel sat down on the edge of the bed, looking at the obstinate mound of blankets.

There was no reply.

"Elladan, may I come in?" Glorfindel tapped lightly on the taut sheets.

At first there was no reply, but then Glorfindel found himself engulfed in bedding, and turned to face the child. Elladan was still in his crumpled training tunic, his lips clamped together, a sure sign he was upset.

"Thank you Elladan." Glorfindel put an arm around the boy, and was surprised when Elladan crawled into his lap, burying his face in his robes. He was warm and rather rumpled, but surprisingly comforting to hold close.

Glorfindel cuddled him a while, until the tent under the sheets became unbearably stuffy, and he lifted him out into the fresh air of the room.

"Glorfindel," Elladan spoke so quietly that Glorfindel had to bend down to hear, "I got put in the bad group."

Glorfindel, not having a small son, had not paid as much attention to the announcements regarding the children's training.

"You are not bad, Elladan. Just, well, mischievous."

"Elrohir got in the good group. And I practised so hard!" Elladan ended with a wail, turning further into Glorfindel's chest.

Glorfindel rubbed the child's back soothingly, hoping Elladan would not end up in tears. Millennia old though he was, he had no idea how to deal with a small tearful elf. Especially when it was partly his fault that all this had happened.

"It matters not," Glorfindel tried to sound convincing, "You will learn the same skills."

Elladan looked up at Glorfindel sadly.

"But I wanted to be. I practised so hard."

"I know." Glorfindel shook his head as he set Elladan back on his feet and handed him a clean tunic. There was no way to stop the pain he was feeling.

Surprisingly obediently Elladan washed, brushed his hair and pulled on his tunic. Glorfindel gave him a final hug before leading him outside where Elrohir instantly ran up, bobbing up and down.

"I found a toad, Elladan. Look!" he dashed across the garden. Elladan, his sadness forgotten, streaked after him.

Glorfindel shook his head as he saw them disappear behind the trees, only to have them appear moments later chasing something. He settled down on a stone bench in a sunny corner of the garden, ignoring all the usual splashes, screams and bumps that accompanied the young twins' play. Indeed, he reflected later, he relaxed a little too much.

~*~

Mithrandir appeared to be an old man, but he had not grown foolish. As he slowly walked along the shady paved path up to Rivendell he could feel something watching.

He turned back and leant on his staff as he watched the path wind away down below him to the river. Among the trees on the flat valley floor he could see into several large clearings bounded by large logs. The sun was setting over the distant mountains, sending beams of reddish light onto the worn turf where tall elves tidied up after some activity.

At first he had thought it to be children playing, for the tree lined banks of the path made a good hiding spot. But then, judging by the small size of the equipment present, training had finished and all young elves would have returned home by now.

He lowered his brows, deep in troublesome thoughts, as he climbed the steps up into the courtyard of Rivendell. It was about time they should meet, although there would be those who did not wish to here what he had to say.

A slight scuffing noise on the path behind him made him turn briskly behind him. Mithrandir peered curiously at the empty path, and the waving branches of the bushes alongside. Smiling to himself he continued forwards. He only hoped that whichever elfling followed him so silently, they would retain their abilities to disappear without sign or sound later. For he had entered Lord Elrond's private garden and trespassing would not be looked on with a benevolent eye.

He hurried on, trying to look as boring as possible, hoping to deter his shadow from continuing to possible detection and a scolding. A slight rustle in the leaves behind distracted him for a second, so he did not notice the child poised on an overhanging branch until he jumped through the branches, landing lightly on the path in front of him.

"Halt Intruder!"

The child obviously did not suffer from shyness. Mithrandir looked down to find the source of the command.

"Good Afternoon, young elf." Mithrandir spoke kindly as he surveyed the child before him. He was young. So young that he expected that he had been born in the years that had passed since he had last set foot in Rivendell.

"Halt!"

The child was brandishing a rather battered training sword, but it was plainly obvious that he had no idea what to do with the intruder he had waylaid.

Suddenly Mithrandir burst out laughing. There was something in the dark brows, now bent into a ferocious glare that was all too familiar. So Celebrian had borne Lord Elrond a son then.

The child looked hurt, and prodded the wizard with his sword, guiding him towards a corner.

A swift hand movement brought more noise, and an identical child, also carrying a sword came onto the path. Rather reluctantly he took his place along side his brother.

Two sons. Well that had been more rapid than he had expected.

"Do not mock me, stranger!" Elladan ordered, sounding as unsure as he felt.

Mithrandir tried hard to keep his amusement to himself. He was trapped. For although even two training swords were no match for the weapon he carried at his side, the consequences of raising arms to the Sons of Elrond would be terrible indeed.

Mithrandir sat down, drew out a pipe and lit it.

Elrohir looked uncertainly at Elladan who returned the stare. They had not expected their prisoner to do this. Elladan stepped forwards, bringing his blade closer to the wizard's face.

"Do not move!"

The order was needless. Mithrandir had no intention of doing so. He had seen his saviour coming, a glimpse of blonde hair amongst distant trees.

"Mithrandir!" Glorfindel clear voice sounded across the garden as he strode towards them.

Mithrandir chuckled to himself as the two boys turned guiltily to look at the blonde elf.

"So, you have already. . ." Glorfindel paused, looking at the twins, ". . .found Mithrandir."

The twins shuffled, and Elrohir put down his sword and stepped back. Elladan turned uncertainly to Glorfindel and lowered his blade slightly.

"Elladan, be at rest." Glorfindel spoke over his head, sharing Mithrandir's mirth, "For that sword is almost in Mithrandir's neck, and you know your father did not ask you to leave it there."

Elladan slowly obeyed, looking worriedly at his brother. Neither was looking forwards to their father hearing of this.

Released at last, Mithrandir stood up, leaning on his staff. Both boys looked on spellbound as the top of the staff began glowing softly.

"That is magic." Elrohir whispered in awe to his brother.

Mithrandir smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling slightly as he spoke.

"Yes Master. . ." Mithrandir paused, glancing at Glorfindel for help.

"Elrohir." Glorfindel supplemented, placing a hand on Elrohir's shoulder.

"Well, Master Elrohir, this is indeed magic."

The wizard muttered a few words and moved his staff. Two small yellow orbs of light appeared and floated towards the boys.

Wide eyed, the children darted behind Glorfindel and peeked out from behind his robes.

Mithrandir and Glorfindel laughed heartily, as the wizard gathered the orbs back in with his hands, making them disappear.

"Come Mithrandir, Elrond will be waiting." Glorfindel took a small hand in each of his as he walked up the steps. Elladan looked back reproachfully as Mithrandir followed them. Maybe, if he were very lucky, the old man's memory would be so poor he would have forgotten the incident by the time he reached his father's study.

Maybe.




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List