Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi – The Eryn Lasgalen Cycle  by fan81981

Chapter 9 – Discontent and First Steps

Cothion shrugged off the Healer fussing over him but could not find the voice to order him to get back. In some recess of his mind he realised that he was suffering from shock but he could not make his limbs move or his mind work coherently. He kept thinking about his outburst and how he had almost harmed the Prince. Mistress would not be pleased but Cothion welcome her wrath, hoping that her icy fury would scour him clean.

The Healer dabbed at a bleeding cut on the side of his neck and he hissed in angry pain, causing the Avari to step back in alarm. Cothion was imposing on most days but today he was dangerous and out of control.

“If you keep shrugging him off, he will not be able to clean your wounds properly.”

Cothion looked at Ehtewen and looked down again, not wanting to see her blank face, reminding him of his own loss of control. If his wounds did not heal then it was as much as he deserved and he said so.

Ehtewen swallowed, struggling to keep calm and ignore Cothion’s despondency. The Commander was shamed enough he did not need her to add to his troubles with her dishonourable comfort.

“As much as I agree with you, you are still Avari Heir and Commander of its forces. First Guard, hold down his hands if you must.”

All the Avari in the room jerked at the sound of Rhinure’s cold command, turning around to see her in the doorway. It was a measure of their disquiet that none had heard her approaching.

“Mistress …” Ehtewen cleared her throat, hoping to say something to stay the retribution Rhinure’s eyes promised.

“Head my command, First Guard. Hold down the Commander, he still struggles.”

Ehtewen glanced at Cothion, whose face burned and who was now fairly struggling with the Healer. The elf tried pacifying the Commander so that he could help get the bloody tunic off but Cothion refused to cooperate.

Rhinure glared at Cothion. “Desist, Commander, or I will have you restrained.”

“I will not be treated as a child.”

“Since you behave like one, you leave me little choice.”

Cothion shot up, uncaring of his wounds. “I am no child.”

Rhinure looked at Ehtewen, who stepped forward and forced Cothion to sit again, pushing him down with ease. “Perhaps you are correct.” Rhinure let Cothion relax slightly before continuing implacably. “You are a spoiled, vindictive and petulant elf who has no control over himself. You do not deserve to be called a child.” Cothion opened his mouth to speak, only to be cut off by Rhinure. “Keep silent. I have not given you leave to speak.”

Rhinure turned of the other Avari in the room. “You all have my permission to withdraw – immediately.”

The Avari Healer looked at his Mistress and then at his Commander. Though the Avari Company obeyed their Sacrifice, he bravely held his ground, not willing to abandon his patient. “Sacrifice, your Heir needs my attention.”

Rhinure’s face softened slightly, allowing that the Healer’s concern was valid. “Are the Commander’s wound serious?”

“No, but …”

“Can the First Guard treat them?”

“I suppose so, but …”

“Then please leave us. I have need of privacy.”

The Healer knew he would not win. With misgivings he bowed and left the room, hoping that Mistress Rhinure did not hurt Cothion too much. Cothion was still in shock and could not take much more. Censure was deserved but he hoped Rhinure would temper it just a little.

Rhinure waited until the Avari left before turning to Istion. “You should leave too, Second Guard.”

“I am part of your Council, Mistress and within my rights to remain.”

“Do not be eager to claim your rights, child. There will be time enough for that.”

“I will stay.”

“So be it then. Remember, you asked for this.” Rhinure sighed, wishing that she could have preserved Istion’s innocence for longer. But then could the Second Guard afford to be innocent of the burdens and ills of rule?

Taking the time to marshal her thoughts and control, Rhinure paced the small chamber while Ehtewen clean and bound numerous cuts and bruises.

“You will leave for Tirnen by first light as soon as you are recovered,” said Rhinure finally. “And you are not to step foot in the Woodland Realm again without my express permission.”

“You are banishing me?”

“You may take it however you wish.”

“Mistress, you have need of me here.”

Rhinure turned incredulously to face Cothion. “You can still say so after today without choking on your own words?”

“Mistress, I made a mistake, but that does not change …”

Rhinure held up her hand and carefully enunciated, struggling not to shout. “What you did was no mistake, it was an act of monumental stupidity, so much so that I wonder if sending you to Tirnen at all is wise.”

“Mistress, it would be meet to remember that the Prince insulted and challenged me first, when you are appointing blame.”

“Commander, why are we here?” Rhinure asked abruptly, causing him to blink in confusion.

“I am uncertain as to what you mean?”

“Why are we here, in Eryn Lasgalen, and not back with our people?”

“Because our Avari need us to be here.”

“And why do they need that?” asked Rhinure patiently, circling Cothion slowly, forcing him to turn to face her, forcing him to expend even more energy, forcing him to weaken himself in order to preserve his pride.

“Because of the Alliance.”

“Because of the Alliance. How could I have forgotten? How could I have forgotten that the Clan’s wellbeing, and possible survival is tied to the Wood-elves? How could I have forgotten that when my Commander and Heir was publicly trying to kill their Prince?”

Cothion swayed. “I was not trying to kill him.”

“It looked like that to me and to all the Wood-elves watching.”

“I just,” Cothion swallowed, “wanted to teach him a lesson.”

“I see. You wanted to teach him a lesson,” Rhinure drawled, causing all the elves in the room to flinch as the venom in her voice slashed at them. “And what lesson would that be? Why to never trust the Avari?”

“Why he should not underestimate us.”

Rhinure’s eyes flashed with untrammelled fury. “You stupid fool. You have single-handedly ruined all that I have achieved here. You have tarred us all with the brush of suspicion. Do you think the Wood-elves will help us now? Do you think Legolas would ask them to fight for us after what you have done? Let me answer that for you, since your brain has so obviously ceased functioning – no!”

“You are his wife – he must,” Cothion insisted.

Rhinure clenched her fists, fighting not to show Cothion why, as a wife, she should end what Legolas had started. As a wife she should make him bleed for what he had done to her Bonded – for daring to hurt him, for laying a single finger on him. But that, too, would be an indulgence, as much as Cothion’s display of temper had been – an indulgence she could not afford. She needed Cothion still. She must keep this about the Clan. She could not show Cothion how hurt she was, how desperately concerned she had been. For to do that was to give him power and power must remain with the Sacrifice. Otherwise, what use was she?

“You are a fool Cothion,” Rhinure said flatly, done arguing. “You leave for Tirnen tomorrow.”

“But, Mistress, his wounds …” Istion protested.

Rhinure looked at the Second Guard and then pointedly back to Cothion. “Perhaps we will be fortunate and Eru will bless us by ridding us of this problem for good.”

Istion blanched and fell silent while Cothion’s face greyed as Rhinure’s meaning flayed him.

“You leave tomorrow.”

“As my Sacrifice commands.”

“And, Cothion, you are to have no contact with Arandur from Tirnen. No messages, no letters – nothing.”

“Mistress, you cannot do that.” Cothion’s knees buckled as Rhinure’s thrust hit his heart cleanly.

“I can and I have. I will not risk you teaching the Home Guard Captain any new lessons.”

“But … if he asks for me …”

“He will not.”

“But …”

“Obey, Commander. Or have you now forgotten even that as you forgot our Alliance today?”

“Never,” Cothion finally replied, voice breaking.

“Then you are to have no contact with Arandur. And,” she paused to prolong his misery, “if I hear that you have disobeyed me by sending a message through someone else, I will remove you not you, but Arandur.”

“You cannot!”

“Do not presume to know what I can or cannot do. You underestimated me once and now I am Sacrifice – not you.”

“He is King Thranduil’s Captain. He would not let you harm Arandur.” For once, Cothion was glad of the King’s power.

“He is Avari and he is mine.” Before Cothion could call her bluff – Avari or not, Thranduil would never let wilful harm befall a loyal servant – Rhinure turned to the Guards. “We should leave the Commander to mediate over my words and prepare for the journey ahead.” When both Avari hesitate momentarily, Rhinure’s voice hardened even further. “Leave.”

Rhinure stayed for a little while longer, nothing that Cothion moved his injured shoulder with some difficulty. The bandage was already staining. It was probably not the best idea not to move him so soon but Rhinure needed him gone so that she start rebuilding. Not only the bridges he had burnt with the Wood-elves but the authority he had undermined with her own Avari. Too many would exalt his attack on the Prince, centuries of prejudice and hurt coming to the fore. Too many would look to her to continue to revenge all those who had abandoned them.

At some level, the idea appealed to her too. Make them all hurt as they had hurt the Avari. Make them realise the pain of violent loss and death implacably visited. Make them pay in blood for all the Avari blood they had spilled through negligence.

Rhinure’s dark thoughts were abruptly silenced when she realised it would have been Legolas who would have paid this blood debt today if Thranduil had not intervened. He could have died.

That thought, stated so baldly, caused Rhinure’s mind to blank for a moment. She pressed down on her breast, needing to feel her heartbeat to remind herself that it still pumped.

The Avari were truly mad, she thought with surprising detachment.

Cothion at that moment looked up at Rhinure and immediately froze. There was such rage in her eyes, cold and without a shred of mercy, that he had to claw at his fear before it choked him. He knew those eyes – and feared them. Those were the eyes of an elf on the cusp of madness, the eyes of an elf who saw too much, who knew too much – those were the eyes of the Sacrifice.

“My Sacrifice,” Cothion knelt on both knees in homage. Such a salute was rarely given for it implied a degree of submission that was generally intolerable to the proud Avari. And it implied a vulnerability that was even more frightening. But it was also a trust given to the Sacrifice, for to her all their lives were given to do as was needed – sacrifice. For if you could not trust the Sacrifice, who could you trust?

“Cothion.”

“Yes Mistress?”

“If you ever hurt him again, I will kill you.”

“Yes Mistress.” Cothion knew that this, of all the things she had said, was no bluff.

And he was afraid.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Across the Great Hall, in the Healer’s Wing, another stubborn elf refused to listen quietly – infuriating both his father and the Healer.

“Please, Your Highness! If you persist in moving so, I will not be able to dress your arm properly.”

“It does not need it.”

“My Lord, I would suggest you defer to my judgement in this.”

Legolas opened his mouth to argue again to be cut off by Thranduil. “Enough, Prince. You will submit quietly, if not graciously to the treatment.”

Legolas subsided, though seeing fit to add. “I do not want this.”

“As you have made amply clear.”

Then why are my wishes being ignored?”

“Because you are behaving foolishly,” returned Thranduil with admirable calm, feeling his nerves fray to gossamer. “As you are behaving in the matter of the Princess.”

Adar! This is not something I will discuss with you.”

“If you want privacy, I can bind your shoulder myself.”

“I will not talk of this.” Legolas shrugged away the elleth clearing the grit from the arm wound, frustrated enough to take his anger out on anyone.

“Legolas!” Thranduil commanded everyone to leave the room, taking up the wash cloth himself. Tending to Legolas’ wounds was a painfully familiar task and one that Thranduil had done innumerable times before, especially in Legolas’ younger days. “That was inexcusably rude.”

“I am sorry.”

Thranduil shook his head and dipped the cloth in the basin, rinsing it carefully, wincing when the water turned a murky red. “I know you are angry – and hurt – but there is no reason to behave petulantly.”

“I did not want to be fussed over.”

“Then you should not have had a knock-out brawl with the Avari Commander.”

“He started it! And moreover, he deserved it.”

Thranduil hid a smile before continuing. “Be that as it may, your behaviour was shameful.”

“I know.”

“Then why did you insist on behaving improperly?” When Legolas did not reply, Thranduil answered his own question. “Because, like a wounded animal, you strike at anything instead of the one who deserves it.”

“I know not what you refer to.”

Thranduil smiled. “Then I should not call Rhinure here?”

“She will not come.” Legolas pushed the bile down before continuing viciously, “Besides, I do not want her here!”

“That is unfortunate.” Thranduil looked up from Legolas’ shoulder to the doorway. “For she is already here.”

Legolas whipped around to see a grey-faced Rhinure standing in the doorway. His mouth tightened and Thranduil could feel his muscles ready, for what he believed, would be a disastrous dismissal.

“Will you come in, child?” Thranduil asked gently, ignoring the betrayed look Legolas shot him.

Rhinure hesitated for the briefest of moments but did not give in to her cowardice. If Legolas did not want her here he would have to physically send her away, a feat beyond him for now.

Thranduil expertly bound Legolas’ shoulder, working in silence for neither Legolas nor Rhinure seemed to want to make conversation. Rhinure seemed calmer than before but she was still pale and looked shaken, much like his stubborn, silly son.

Legolas hissed as Thranduil set his shoulder, causing Rhinure to clench the sides of the chair she was seated in. “Is he well?” she asked worriedly.

“Yes, I am.” Legolas replied before Thranduil could, annoyed that she was here and hurt that she was ignoring him by speaking only to his father.

Thranduil was amused by his son’s petulance. “Would you like to finish?” he offered Rhinure.

“No, she would not.”

Rhinure would have declined but Legolas’ denial angered her. “Yes, I will do it.”

“Good, I have other things to take care of.”

Adar!”

“You are in good hands, ion nîn. Try to hold still,” Thranduil advised, sweeping out of the room, leaving the two young elves alone – finally.

Rhinure picked up the washcloth and determinedly stepped forwards towards her husband, alone with him for the first time in what felt like years.

Legolas’ breath hitched when he felt her cool hands wash the scratches on his bare back.

“Am I hurting you?”

“No.” Legolas closed his eyes as Rhinure lifted his hair from his nape, out of the way. His muscles tensed as Rhinure worked her way down his shoulder blades.

“Shall I stop?” Rhinure asked quietly, feeling the tension in his body and afraid that he was hurting more than he was saying.

“No,” Legolas choked out.

Rhinure continued working, clearing the dirt and grit from Legolas’ back, frowning at the bruises marring the fair skin. The washcloth followed ghosting fingers, as they soothed the hurt her Avari had caused.

Silently, for she could not find the words to take away his pain, Rhinure stepped around to his front, nudging his knees slightly, until his legs opened, allowing her to step forward into the intimate space between his thighs. She placed her palms oh his chest, resting for a moment. Legolas found it difficult to breathe but he did not stop her.

The washcloth fell from her hands, unheeded to the ground, as Rhinure reassured herself that Legolas was well. Her fingers skimmed over the muscles in his arms, lingering over the deep gash in his forearm. It looked raw but at least it was not bleeding any longer. Finally, her hands came back to rest carefully on his chest, over his heart, taking comfort from its steady beat.

Rhinure bit her lip as she caressed his skin. Cothion had been more violent than she had realised. Legolas could have been seriously hurt. The thought still shook her so much that she closed her eyes against it, wondering if it would always cause her such pain to think of Legolas being harmed. If it would always hurt her so much when he hurt. If only there was something she could do. If there was only some way she could take away this pain, thrumming through their bodies.

Legolas’ eyes snapped open when he felt warmth suffuse him, wrapping around his aches and gentling them, unknotting his muscles and making them relax. He could literally feel the fatigue drain away and his wounds start to knit. It felt like …

Legolas looked up at Rhinure and back down to her palms which still rested over his heart. She was responsible, he knew it. But …

Legolas’ eyes widened even further when he realised what this feeling reminded him off – his parents, holding him when he was hurt and pouring their strength into his. But they would never have attempted something like this for superficial wounds, for healing through such bonds weakened the Healer’s fea. And it was never easy, at least never as easy as it seemed for Rhinure. She did not seem to be in pain, but then, she was good at hiding pain. Who would have thought Rhinure had such Healing tendencies within her. He would not have thought her capable of such giving. Outside of blood ties, such transference was rare in elves.

Legolas gripped Rhinure’s wrists, lifting them from his chest, almost crying out when the warmth ceased, but seeing with now sharp eyes how Rhinure swayed. He steadied her, noting how ashen her skin had become. “Are you well?”

“I should be asking you that question.” Rhinure opened her eyes and looked down and Legolas.

“I am much better now. Thank you.” Legolas frowned at the lack of comprehension in her eyes. “Rhinure, did you not do this knowingly?”

“Do what knowingly?”

“You …” Legolas trailed off as he realised that Rhinure was no Healer. Or was she hiding this gift from him? Perhaps she had healed Cothion in the same way but did not want to admit as much to him?

“I … what?”

Legolas shook his head, struck dumb by a new, frightening but wonderful thought. Married couples were known to share strength, share their fea, much like when they brought a child into the world. Had not Thranduil literally brightened when Eruante was near? If parents could bolster their children then could not a wife her husband? If this was true, Rhinure would realise soon enough. Instinctively he knew that she would be uncomfortable with the level of intimacy such a bond implied. She would not sleep with him let alone share strength. If she learnt of this, would she blame him for using her and push him away?

“Legolas, what is wrong?”

“Nothing, beyond my wounds.” Legolas frowned, “Why do you ask?”

Rhinure shook her head to clear it. She was tired and it felt like she was hearing double. For a moment, she could have sworn that Legolas was afraid. “I just thought …”

“Yes?”

“It is not important. I should bandage your arm.” Rhinure bent down to pick up the linen strips, wrapping the cloth quickly and efficiently. “There, that should stop any infection. It already looks a lot better.”

Legolas raised an ironic eyebrow. “Does it not?” Perhaps realisation would take some time. Or … perhaps it was just his wishful thinking clouding his already dulled judgement. He had wanted this bond or so long that he was now imagining it.

“I should leave you now.” Rhinure stepped back from Legolas only to have him capture her wrist in a painful grip.

“Do you leave me to go back to your Heir?”

Rhinure’s face closed at Legolas’ accusatory tone. “And if I do?”

“Then I will not stop you, my Lady. You obviously have your own priorities and I am not part of them.” Legolas dropped her wrist and turned away to pick up the clean shirt next to him. Seeing his struggle, Rhinure stepped forward to help him only to fall back at his vicious command to let him be.

“I do not need your help,” he said coldly.

Rhinure stepped back feeling as if Legolas had struck her. Her pain speared him and he looked up with narrowed eyes. Though Rhinure stood with her back straight and face composed, Legolas could feel her hurt.

“With your leave, my Lord.”

*~ I will go supervise Cothion’s departure. ~*

Legolas caught the stray end of that though and he paled at the bitterness underlying it. He struggled to his feet but by then Rhinure had left the room. She was sending Cothion away, but why?

Was it because of him? And was that why she was so bitter?

Legolas slipped on the shirt carelessly and took off after Rhinure. Was she sending Cothion away? Had he heard her correctly? Or was he imagining things? Was it because of him? For him?

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Rhinure, stop.”

Rhinure turned to see Legolas behind her in the corridor and slowed her pace. What did he want from her now?

“Rhinure, stop. I wish to speak to you.”

“You wish to accuse me, for which I have no tolerance left, my Lord.”

“Are you sending Cothion away?”

Rhinure whirled around in shock. “How did you know?”

“I take that to mean that you are.” Legolas finally caught up with her. “Why?”

“Why not?”

“Why are you sending him away? It is a simple enough question,” Legolas insisted.

“He is Avari Commander. He is needed in Tirnen and has been away long enough.”

Legolas peered at Rhinure’s face. “Is that the only reason?”

Rhinure deflected the question calmly. “What other reason could there be?”

Legolas opened his senses as wide as possible wondering, hoping, that he would get some clue as to what Rhinure was thinking. Nothing – Rhinure’s mind was as closed to him as before, her fea as distant from his as before. “I was just wondering.”

“Wondering what exactly, my Lord?”

“If his departure had anything to do with what happened today.”

Rhinure’s face tightened and she withdrew slightly from Legolas. “Today should not have happened. Even so, Cothion would have had to leave for Tirnen soon enough.”

Legolas nodded and managed to control his disappointment. He executed a hasty bow and left aching and confused Rhinure behind.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Morning came and with it Cothion’s departure. The Avari company watched as the Commander swung on to his horse, noting that his arm was in a sling and that he looked pale. They also noticed that the Woodland elves watched them carefully, hands near their swords.

But most of all, they noticed the Avari Sacrifice standing on top of the steps, looking at Cothion, She had not spoken a word since he had appeared and neither had she accompanied him down.

Her silent disapproval hung on him like a weight, slumping his shoulders.

“You should not let him leave like this.”

Rhinure ignored the First Guard’s quiet words and kept her gaze straight.

“He made a mistake.”

Silence.

“He was just trying to protect you.” Ehtewen was not sure if her words were making any difference but she had to try. Sending Cothion away like this would be a blow that he might never recover from. Cothion lived to serve. Take that away from him and Ehtewen was not sure if his life would be worth living.

“He is your Avari. It is your duty to protect him, from himself if need be.”

“Mistress, you cannot do this.”

Rhinure looked at Ehtewen. “You are dismissed, First Guard.” Her voice sounded hoarse even to herself.

“Mistress …”

“Obey.”

“As the Sacrifice commands.”

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Cothion looked up to where Rhinure stood, silent and stern. Though he would not admit it, even to himself, he hoped that she would say something, anything. Call out to him, call him back. Let him know somehow that what he had done was not irreparable.

The Avari Commander sought forgiveness he knew not how to give and knew not how to ask for.

He glanced up again but Rhinure did not move. He swung himself up to his horse, wincing as the action jarred his injured shoulder.

“Are you ready to depart, Commander?” his Lieutenant asked.

“Yes.”

The Avari escort surged forward at the Lieutenant’s command with Cothion in the centre. Before they could move more than a few paces they were stopped by the Home Guard elves. From amongst them, a sombre Arandur stepped forward.

“We will be joining you till the borders, Commander.”

Cothion blinked, immediately suspicious though internally joyous at seeing Arandur again. “Has the King commanded your presence here?” It was not usual to have the Captain of the Home Guard escort dignitaries away from the King. Arandur’s place was with the King.

“On the Sacrifice’s request.”

Cothion looked back at the steps, to find that Rhinure had left.

“Are you ready to leave, Commander?”

“I am.” *~ Brother ~*

Cothion straightened and gave the signal to move out. Arandur fell back to ride next to him.

Sometimes, forgiveness was given without words and without being asked for.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas paused at the garden’s threshold; it seemed empty but Rhinure had to be there. He had searched the entire Palace in vain but there was no sign of her. It was as if Rhinure had departed as well, like her Commander, and the thought did not sit well with Legolas.

There! Hidden under the shadow of a giant oak, away from the glare of the noonday sun, sat Rhinure, wrapped in her voluminous black cloak.

“You are missing lunch, sitting here in the shadows.”

Rhinure looked up from beneath her hood. Legolas was blocking the sun, casting her completely into darkness. “I am not hungry.”

Legolas sat on the bench next to her, close enough to catch her near whisper, but just far enough not to be touching her. “What are you doing here?”

Rhinure turned aware from him to stare off in to the distance. “Sitting.”

“Why?”

Rhinure sighed. “If you must know, I was thinking.”

“Am I disturbing you?”

“If you were, would you leave me be?”

“If you answered my question, then perhaps.”

“I was thinking about Cothion and his departure.”

“Oh.” Legolas did not know what to say to that. “If you regret his departure so much then why did you send him away in the first place?”

“I do not regret my decision but I do not like it either.”

“You could always recall him. Unless,” he ventured, “you are displeased with him?”

“He almost killed you. How can you ask me such a question?” Rhinure rounded on Legolas and asked incredulously.

“I was never in any danger.” Legolas was careful not to read too much into her words.

“It did not look like that to me.”

“So now you think me unable to hold my own in battle as well as not worthy of your time?”

Rhinure clenched her fists, struggling to keep calm. “Why do you insist on making such baseless accusation? I think no such thing.”

“I cannot know what you think but you certainly behave as if you did.”

Rhinure shot up, hood falling back, revealing flashing eyes in a still too pale face. “How dare you insult me so?”

“How could you have left me for Cothion?” Legolas jumped up too, spoiling for a fight, his anger still boiling.

“I have done no such thing. I banished him for daring to harm you and you still accuse me so!”

“You sent him away because he was needed in Tirnen. You cannot now say it was for me.” Legolas stepped forward, crowding Rhinure’s personal space but she did not fall back this time, too furious to be circumspect.

“Yes, he was needed at home. I cannot deny that.”

“Hah!” Legolas folded his arms in bitter triumph.

“But if he were not necessary, leaving was not a mercy I would have granted given his temerity in harming you.”

Legolas’ arms fell slack in surprise.

“I have never come so close to doing irrational violence against my own Avari as I came yesterday and you still doubt me!”

“Rhinure …” Legolas clutched at her shoulder to stop her words but she struggled under his grip. “Yesterday you did not come to me after I left the field.”

Rhinure slapped away Legolas uninjured hand. “I came to you, even though you did not want me there.”

After you want to Cothion.”

“I took care of necessary matter first.”

“And I am not necessary to you?”

“You are my husband.” Rhinure turned away, not wanting Legolas to see the tears in her eyes. “I had to get him away from you.”

Her shoulders hunched against remembered pain and her voice became shaky. “If something had happened to you …” She choked at the thought and could not continue.

Legolas swayed, dizzy from pain and fatigue – his, hers – theirs. Words were obviously not getting them anywhere. All he had managed to do was hurt his hereto impervious wife. “Dear one …” Legolas turned Rhinure around but she avoided his gaze.

“Do not call me that,” she whispered.

“But you are dear to me.” Legolas lifted her chin so that he could look at her, a pleasure he had been denied for too long. His fingers traced her cheekbones, causing her to tremble. “More than I had realised,” he whispered as he pulled her close, bending his head so that he could kiss her.

As soon as Rhinure felt his breath on her mouth, she snapped out of her daze. “Let me go. I will not let you manoeuvre me so.”

“Manoeuvre you? Rhinure all I want is one embrace from you.”

“A minute ago you were making vile accusations and now ‘all you want is one embrace’? What do you hope to accomplish by this? Have you not done enough?” Rhinure tried to get free again but stilled immediately as her struggles jostled his shoulder, causing him to wince.

“One kiss seeking forgiveness, nothing more,” Legolas coaxed when he saw Rhinure make no move to break free. He moved forward again, slowly, careful not to spook her.

“I have done nothing to seek forgiveness for,” Rhinure returned weakly, placing her palms on Legolas’ chest to slow his advance but taking care not to hurt him.

“It is not you who seek forgiveness – it is I.”

Rhinure stopped pushing, looking up in surprise. Legolas took the opportunity to kiss her, gathering her as close he could with one arm.

“Legolas …” Rhinure angled her head up to deepen the kiss, wanting to give comfort to her beautiful husband and, more honestly, take comfort from his nearness. Her arms slipped around his neck and Legolas smiled.

“Forgive me, dear one.” Legolas lifted his mouth to ask but returned it before she could answer, afraid of what she would say.

The kiss remained coaxing and gentle as both elves were still struggling with their recent separation but soon it was not longer enough. Rhinure’s hands fisted in his hair, pulling him closer until she was pressed flat against him. He bit her lips in desperation, causing her to moan in protest.

That one sound, small though it had been, broke Legolas’ already fragile control. His kisses became feverish, covering her mouth, cheeks, eyes, even inch of skin he could reach and then back again.

“You have to forgive me, Rhinure.”

She whimpered against the onslaught she did not have the will to end but he took the sound as a denial. “You must listen to me,” he insisted.

*~ You must do as I say. ~*

Rhinure pulled out of his arms with a wounded cry. “I will not let you use me like this.”

Legolas caught her arms before she could retreat once more. “I will not let you run away from me this time.”

“I am not running. I just refuse to fall for your blandishments any longer. I will not let you manipulate me any longer.”

Legolas gritted his teeth, furious with her again. “Explain,” he demanded tersely, determined to ignore how her severe braid was mussed, letting wisps of dark hair caress her flushed face and red swollen lips.

“You are well aware of what you do to me. Do not pretend ignorance now, Your Highness.”

“And what do I do to you?” asked Legolas, stepping forward, but this time to threaten.

Rhinure stepped back to maintain the distance between them and stop herself from hurling herself into his arms and letting him wipe the last two days completely from her mind. “You touch me and I forget what I was saying. You kiss me and I do what you wish.”

One any other occasion those words would have made Legolas dance with exultation but the bitterness in those quiet words stayed him. “Is it so unbearable if I make you feel so?”

“It is when you use it against me.”

“I have never used it against you!”

“What were you doing just now?”

“That was not premeditated, and you know it.”

Rhinure looked away. “And that public display in the garrison?”

Legolas flushed. “That was for the crowd’s benefit, not a ploy against you.”

“And I am supposed to believe that you had no idea that such a display would be anathema to me and my way of life? That I would not appreciate being used in such a fashion, in front of a crowd of strangers, when I do not allow liberties even to you, my Bonded?”

“What was I supposed to do? I had to think of my people. Surely you can appreciate my dilemma. I had to create an illusion of harmony between us since the truth was certainty not helping.”

“And how do you justify kissing me in front of Cothion? What were you creating then?”

“Then I was staking my claim!”

“You were using what we shared to make some point against my Commander, against me – just to get your own way! As you did when you ‘convinced’ me to accompany you to Gondor!”

Legolas flinched at the truth in those words but he had no choice. Rhinure would not have conceded with any grace, so he had had to push and sway her – but just a little. “That morn I only tried a little persuasion to make you see my point of view. Am I not even allowed to do that? Am I always to bow before your wishes, without even requesting anything of you?”

“You did not ask, you demanded. And, when that did not work, you manipulated.”

“And if I did, do you expect me to feel guilty about it?”

Rhinure bit her lip, not particularly surprised that Legolas would not admit his fault, but his defiance was shocking. “I do not ask you to feel anything, my Lord,” she said stiffly, “just to admit what you do.”

“I allowed my hands and mouth to speak for me when you would not listen to my words. That is not manipulation.”

“It is when you leave me no choice.”

“I would not have restrained you. Have I not left you alone recently? If I could manipulate you, as you accuse, would I have done so? Why would I have suffered the disharmony between us if I could bend you to my will?”

Rhinure gaze fell away in a rush of vulnerability. “I can only presume that that there was nothing you wanted from me.”

Legolas laughed but it was not a happy sound. “Then you presume wrong. I have wanted – you. I have ached for you but left you in peace for you did not want me.”

“That is not true.”

“You have had time for everyone except me. What am I supposed to think?”

“That I was wary and was waiting for some sign, for some modicum of understanding that you would not misuse our bond – as you already promised once and failed to keep.”

“And I must always be the one to understand. You could not see that what I did was because of circumstances which left me no alternative. I did the only thing which was within reason.”

“And who will define what is reasonable? If you do it, I will forever be yielding.”

“And will that be so unpleasant?” Legolas challenged, eyes raking her form, reminding her of the intimacies they shared when they were not at each other throats.

Rhinure trembled, not immune to the silent promise even though she was still furious with him. “If you can ask that, my Lord, then you truly know nothing of me.” This sniping was pointless. All it did was make her ache and she had little stamina to fight as it was. She made to leave the garden, perhaps lie down in her chambers before dinner was served.

Legolas growled, blocking her path. If she left now they would never get past this rift. Rhinure’s tired shoulders and defeated gait told him as much. He could not have that. He could not lose her – the thought filled him with raw panic. “Sit.” He waved to the bench they both had so recently vacated.

“You are commanding me again.” Rhinure did not sit but neither did she leave. Something held her back – a faint entreaty, a sense which she could not name but could not ignore. Rhinure pressed her temples, wishing her head would clear.

“Once in a while everyone has to submit to commands, stubborn wife of mine. Why not start with me, with something so simple?”

Since she could not refuse without seeming churlish, Rhinure sat down with cool dignity.

“Now,” Legolas took a deep breath to bring himself back under control, “we will talk. Not snarl and accuse each other. Is that acceptable?”

“Yes.”

“Now, as to your accusation …”

“It cannot be an accusation if it is the truth.”

“We have not decided that yet.”

“Do not take me for a fool, Legolas. I am not some simple maid come for the Prince’s justice. I am Sacrifice and no matter how vulnerable I am to it, I recognise manipulation when I see it.”

Legolas said nothing for he knew she was correct, but that did not meant that he would not do it again if given the opportunity and need.

“You do not deny it now.”

“How can I when you already condemn me?”

“Speaking the truth has become condemnation, has it? Where is your sense of fair play now, my Prince?”

“Peace, my Lady. Since you insist, I will admit that, in other circumstances, what I did would not have been fair …”

“But with me ordinary standards do not apply?” asked Rhinure coldly.

“How can they, when you are not ordinary by any standard?” Legolas stated softly.

“But you admit that what you did was not just?”

“Yes,” admitted the Prince with heart-breaking courage.

“And that you manipulated me?”

“Yes.” Legolas looked his wife straight in the eye and added, “And I will do it again, when I see the need.”

What to say to that?

Rhinure struggled for breath when Legolas gaze became unyielding.

“I give you fair warning, hervess nin; I, too, am no fool. I will use what I must.”

“And what of your promise to me?” Rhinure asked. “You said that you would never intentionally use my body against me. You said that, did you not?”

“I did.”

“And now you renege on your word?” Rhinure asked incredulously.

“What would you have me do, Rhinure?” Legolas demanded tiredly, bending forward to rest his hands on his thigh. “I have no other option. Everything you do is such a battle that not using the only weapon I have would be suicide.”

“You promised,” Rhinure repeated, truly afraid now. If Legolas did not adhere to the scruples he held so dear, then what chance did she have?

Legolas sighed and cradled his head in his hand. “You could walk away from me, Rhinure. Right now. Just leave and you will never have to suffer my manipulations again.”

“And you will let me leave you?” Rhinure held her breath, waiting for Legolas’ answer.

“It is, as, in the end all things are, even to give in to me – your choice, my Lady.”

Rhinure watched the precious golden head, bowed before her. Her heart wrenched and she spoke with unvarnished truth. “Leaving you is no choice at all, my Lord.”

Legolas looked up, his blue eyes huge in his pale face.

“I could not leave you and you know that.” Rhinure shifted a little closer.

Legolas looked at her. “Rhinure, I do not wish to force you.”

“No, please, listen,” Rhinure pleaded, moving even closer until her knee touched his. “I did not mean that I lacked the choice. I meant,” Rhinure paused, struggling to find the correct words. In mute appeal she put her hand on his knee.

“What did you mean?” Legolas asked, covering her hand with his.

“I meant that the choice was not worth contemplating. I will not leave you.”

“Why?”

“I do not understand.”

“Why would you stay? After all, I make it difficult for you and you are often displeased with me. Would it not be easier if you were not with me?”

“And would our alliance still hold if I were not here?” Rhinure asked cautiously, wondering if she had been wrong about this whole thing from the beginning.

“I would not make my people, or yours, suffer because of anything that happened between us.”

“Are you certain? Or is this too a vow that you will withdraw when it is inconvenient?” When Legolas made no answer, she persisted. “If our personal life embittered you, would you take it out on my people?”

“I would not let an innocent suffer for my personal disappointments. Your people are safe from me.”

“And am I?”

“You are not an innocent,” said Legolas baldly. “You test my patience, and great though it may be, infinite it is not.”

Rhinure sighed, “Why are you so hard on me? You overlook mistakes as a Prince more readily than as my husband. Why do you push so hard with me that is becomes difficult not to push back?”

“Because you are my wife. The two standards are not comparable; what I do as a Prince, the mistakes I forgive, the impertinence I overlook, I will not do for you. I will make no apologies for holding you to a higher standard as my wife. If I am beyond everything for you then should you not be everything and more for me as well? Do you not expect more from me than from others, Rhinure?” he asked, thumb moving across her knuckles.

“I try not to.”

“Then perhaps you should.”

“How can I when you do not even do what most will? You gave me your word.”

“I can only try, dear one. You make it difficult. I am not perfect and cannot help but be tempted by you. You consent so beautifully that it brings me pleasure. I am not so inured as to avoid pleasure yet.”

*~ Though if you continue to hurt me so, it will not be long before I am too cruel for you to break. ~*

“I would not want you to be.” Rhinure squeezed Legolas’ hand.

“So you admit that you consent when I touch you?” Legolas was quick to pounce on her words.

“If consent is to be bought by lack of thought, then yes, I consent. But I always thought that consent was rational and measured.”

“Perhaps,” Legolas conceded. “But then again, if one knows what will happen and does nothing to stop it, then is it not consent at least – if not connivance.”

“Are you suggesting that I invite the insanity you bring?” Rhinure’s eyes widened in indignation and surprise. This conversation was not going the way it should have. They should have talked calmly and reached an amicable, mutually satisfactory decision, which would ensure that Legolas would not try to seduce her again. Instead Rhinure’s head spun and she was now more confused than ever before.

“I cannot say about the insanity but you do invite my touch.” Legolas traced her lips, eyes trained on her mouth. “Can you deny it?”

“No,” said Rhinure honestly, feeling her mouth throb under his fingers.

“Then, in the final analysis, it cannot be manipulation.”

Rhinure frowned, mesmerised by the triumph she saw in his eyes. “When you put it like that, it is difficult to disagree.”

“Then do not.” Legolas drew her towards him but she stopped his arm.

“Legolas, please … do not.”

“I want to take you to my bed. It has been empty for too long.”

Rhinure coloured at the blunt statement bur remained firm. “As it has been for me too but it would not solve any of our problems. I would still suspect you of using our love-making against me. Such suspicious is tiring, my Lord. I do not wish to do it any longer.”

“What would you have us to then? Give up on the one thing that works between us?”

“Perhaps we can work at building something new, something else that works as well.”

“How?”

“I do not know but we cannot always rely on something that is so volatile. We need to build something which is more …”

“Rational?”

Rhinure nodded and looked hopefully at Legolas, who found himself unable to hold out against those eyes, even though he did not like this idea of abstinence. In fact, he hated it. But … the thought of creating something new with Rhinure, something a little more permanent than physical attraction was very tempting. Almost as tempting as making love to her.

“I suppose we could try to be more honest with each other. Or,” Legolas amended ironically, “at the very least we could air our grievances before they fester. Use more words and less action in our dealings with each other.”

“You will ask instead of seducing? And you will not jump to conclusions?”

“Only if you stop avoiding me and the issues that crop up between us. I will not suffer the Avari silent stoicism from you any longer.”

“Agreed.”

“Wait, one more thing. Will you try to do some things you dislike if I ask you?”

“What things?” Rhinure asked suspiciously. “You cannot expect me to promise something which is so vague.”

“Will you dance with me next time we have the opportunity, even if you do not have the inclination?”

“I thought we were going to try to talk more and not be so … physical.”

“My lady, it is a simple dance I request, not a brazen seduction.”

Rhinure blushed but did not keep silent as she would have before. She would keep to her word, even if it went against what she was familiar with. Such openness was alien to her and uncomfortable. “Dancing with you will be one and the same for me.”

Legolas grinned suddenly, a real smile lighting his face. He already felt more light-hearted than he had in days, though that was not saying much. Looking at Rhinure’s reddened cheeks and downcast gaze, he knew that she was thinking of what it would be like to dance with him. He would hold her tightly within him arms, so close that a whisper would not be able to pass between them. They would move together, in harmony with each other and the music.

Suddenly, Legolas could see the seduction in his request and he was enchanted. His fingers lifted to touch his wife’s cheek before he knew what he was doing.

“Legolas, you promised.”

His hand fell away immediately. “How long is my bed going to stay empty?”

Rhinure swallowed and forced herself to offer. “I could … I could find you another bedmate.”

“No!” Legolas’ eyes flashed in warning and Rhinure felt her heart settle down again.

“Then, I think, this will take some time.”

“Alright.” Legolas took Rhinure’s hand and kissed it in a courtly gesture, sealing their pact. “And, in the spirit of our deal, let me tell you about our first problem.”

Rhinure looked up questioningly; she had thought they were making progress.

“I want to seduce you.”

And Rhinure found herself blushing – again.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Thank for you reading.

And in case anyone was wondering the chapter title refers to a quote from Wilde:

Discontent is the first step towards the progress of a man …





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List