Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi – The Eryn Lasgalen Cycle  by fan81981

Dear All,

It’s been a while and then some. Things have been a little crazy for the last year or so, as I am sure most of you realise. For all of those who have been impacted by the financial crisis, who have lost their jobs, savings, faith in banks this is for you. Please take this as a humble offering to cheer you up and distract you for a little while. Please excuse any mistakes as this chapter has not been beta read as Nilmandra has been caught up with RL.

Nilmandra, if you are reading this, this chapter is for you. Hope you get better soon …

 

Chapter 10 – A Journey of a Thousand Miles …

Thranduil handed the sheaf of papers back to the Seneschal, nodding in approval of the plans.

Legolas walked up to the King. “How many refugees are we expecting?”

“We evacuated the two border settlements in the north-east.”

“I did not realise the attacks had increased.”

“They have not. We moved them pre-emptively.”

“But … the farms?”

“Abandoned.”

Legolas sucked in a sharp breath but controlled himself, realising that they had an audience. “Should we be worried?”

Thranduil smiled as he signed a petition “We are always worried but no more than usual.”

“The villagers …”

“Will be accommodated. We will have to re-tool our food supplies, release some of the stores for now as we get other sources running. I think we should start sending the hunters out from tomorrow in order to replenish our meat stores.”

Legolas nodded. “It will not be easy.”

“Nothing is ever easy.” Thranduil turned to look at Legolas. “Get dressed, we are going to see if the elves have settled in.” Legolas bowed and made to leave, only to be stopped by Thranduil. “I have also asked Princess Rhinure to join us.”

“If you think it is wise.”

“I do. A woman’s touch might be needed.”

“As my King commands.”

Thranduil’s eyes narrowed. “You are not going to protest?”

“Of course not, your Majesty. I would never allow anything to jeopardise our people’s comfort.”

“Yes, the Prince would do what is necessary. But would the elf be as happy with my decision?”

Legolas tried ducking the question, mortified that Thranduil had even to ask. “Why would I not be content?”

“You have hardly spent anytime with your wife unless you have had no choice.”

“Yes, well, I hope to change that.”

“Really? I can hope that this recent defrosting is permanent then?”

“Defrosting?”

“Given the last two weeks, I could not help noticing that you both are being cordial to each other,” Thranduil pointed out. “Or, at the very least, you both are not deliberately avoiding each other as before. I did not want to falsely hope for a reconciliation but perhaps it would not be in vain to do so now?”

Legolas flushed in shame for having caused Thranduil such patent anxiety. He looked around to make sure that no one was near and they were alone as they could be with Herenion and Arandur trailing them in the distance. “Rhinure and I have … talked.”

“The result of which was?”

“The result of which will remain between us. However, I, too, am hopeful – but caution is always warranted.”

“So things are progressing well?”

“They are not deteriorating. I wait to see if recent developments can be called progress.”

Thranduil grinned, “So circumspect, little one? You sound almost diplomatic.”

“I am learning that marriage is akin to diplomacy. At times, frighteningly so,” said Legolas ruefully.

Thranduil nodded. “But I would advise that, while caution, is a necessary thing in diplomacy, so is audacity.”

“At times. Nevertheless, you advice is, as always, heeded.” Legolas bowed in acknowledgment.

Thranduil laughed and clapped Legolas on the shoulder. “Hardly. If you heeded my advice you would not get into half the messes you do.”

“Maybe, but then you would not be able to rescue me if I did. And where would be the fun in that?”

Thranduil shook his head, “Go and change into something more presentable, Prince. I await your return.”

“As you command.” Legolas straightened and bowed to his King before exiting the room.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Stop fidgeting with your collar,” Herenion admonished from the corner of Legolas’ dressing chamber.

“I do not like it.” Legolas fingered the elaborate dress. “I want to make the right impression.”

“You look very impressive and regal. Do not worry so.”

“Why are you always giving me advice on my dress?”

“Because you still obviously need a nursemaid to get dressed.”

“You were not meant to answer that question.”

“Then why did you ask the question, silly elf?”

Legolas opened his mouth and closed it again quickly when he saw the glint in Herenion’s eyes. This was going to be one of those conversations and he did not have time for this. “I said I wanted to make the right impression. That does not mean looking decadent in the face of their losses. I do not want to awe them with opulence but reassure them.” Legolas started to unbutton the formal gown.

“Rubbish! You look like a Prince is supposed to. What impression will you make if you appear shabbily dressed? What hope will the Realm have if their Prince cannot afford to look presentable?”

“Who is not looking presentable?” A puzzled voice made the two elves turn to the balcony.

“Your Highness.” Herenion bowed to an obviously ready Rhinure who stood in the doorway.

“I called but no one answered, so I came in. I hope I do not intrude.”

“Of course not, my Lady.” Legolas swallowed, “You look lovely.” And she did, the deep emerald setting of her fairness. Little cap sleeves drew attention to her bare arms while the wide neck taunted him with an expanse of soft skin. “You are wearing it.”

“What? Oh, yes.” Rhinure self-consciously touched the silver chain around her neck which was holding up a large emerald. “It went well with the dress. Thank you, your gift is most appreciated.”

Legolas nodded, trying not to stare at her but finding his eyes straying to the jewel nestled against her skin – where he wanted to be.

Herenion grinned – silly elves indeed. “Forgive me for asking, your Highness, but you are not worried about looking opulent?”

Rhinure frowned at Herenion, tearing her eyes away from Legolas’s face. “Should I be? I did not think it inappropriate to look one’s best, since I thought this was a welcoming of the villagers. If I have misunderstood and this is an occasion of Duty then I have my black dresses too. I could change.”

“No, there is no need.” Legolas hastened to assure her.

“Then this is not a formal occasion?”

“Well,” Legolas processed cautiously since he was uncertain about the subtlety Rhinure was trying to convey, “it is and it is not at the same time.”

“But …”

“It is in the sense that the Royal Family is to go and welcome these elves to the Palace,” Herenion supplied after watching Legolas flounder for a minute or two.

“But, it is not a solemn occasion then, which requires me to be on-duty? If so, I would prefer to have the proper guise on.”

 “And how are you attired now?” Legolas asked, intrigued by the choice of Rhinure’s words.

“As myself. How should I be dressed?”

Legolas shook is head. “I meant, how would wearing black make the dress any more appropriate?”

“For then I would be Sacrifice greeting her people instead of Rhinure doing the same. The King intimated that he wanted to downplay the seriousness of this move.”

“I think he meant for us to reassuring.”

“Is that not the same thing?”

Legolas sidestepped the potential entanglements of that question by asking her to continue with her explanation; Rhinure acknowledged the dodge and dropped the subject. “There is nothing else to say. If I have misunderstood then I should change. Occasions where Duty is paramount should always be greeted in black.”

Legolas cringed at the dire attitude though he understood its motives. What other use of a uniform except to create an atmosphere? Rhinure had understood the distinction he was trying to capture perfectly – or was it instinctively? This was not an occasion to overwhelm but to bolster – and the stern Prince could not do that as well a member of Eryn Lasgalen’s Royal Family. “You did not misunderstand the King at all.”

Legolas looked over Rhinure again, taking in the differences between this woman and the ones he saw normally. For lack of better words, this one looked relaxed and not as if she prepared for an impending battle. “You look perfect.”

Rhinure ducked her head in thanks and for a fleeting moment, Legolas had the feeling that the relaxed stance was as much a pose as her black armour. He stepped forward and lifted her chin to look into her eyes, which were as cold as always, as closed to him as if she was Sacrifice.

This was just another battle, fought with gentler weapons.

“One of these days, I would like to see what Rhinure really looks like,” he whispered to her.

Rhinure’s eyes fell away from his but after a pause, she raised them again. “I would like that.” Her eyes were gentle and cool, like fresh water on a hot summer day.

Herenion coughed, not wanting to break up the tableau but the King waited. He had not seen Legolas and Rhinure like this for a while – if ever.

“We should leave.” Legolas stepped back.

“Yes.” Rhinure frowned at the open buttons on Legolas’ overcoat. “Here let me help you.” She quickly buttoned up the heavy silk again, smoothing down the material so that it fell as it should. “You look beautiful.” Rhinure walked to the door. “I am waiting for you.”

Herenion stepped forward, whispering into Legolas’ ear, wiping the silly grin’s from the younger Elf’s face. “Why is it that when I tell you that you look fine you argue, but accept the Princess’ words immediately?”

“Come Herenion, the King waits for us.”

“And the Princess,” quipped Herenion, squashing Legolas’ attempt to change the subject.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Rhinure shifted a little, trying to each the ache between her shoulders. She had not been sleeping well and this elf’s recitation on the wheat fields was not helping.

“We appreciate the care you have shown, Farmer Óron,” Thranduil nodded at the poor babbling elf, while simultaneously shooting Rhinure a warning glance which made her still immediately. On his other side, Legolas grinned but Thranduil’s glare made him school his features. They did not want offend the elf. And grinning and fidgeting were not helping. “We will expect a detailed report from you later.”

Legolas and Rhinure shared incredulous looks but did not say anything beyond words of welcome. How much more detailed could wheat reports get?

“Behave.” Thranduil’s whispered admonishment made both of them straighten up as they walked to the next elf.

Rhinure eased into Sacrifice stance; it made dealing with elves so much easier. The next few elves saw a calm, collected face which betrayed no unease and only patient interest in their words. Legolas followed suit, breaking any monotony or hint of routine with a sympathetic nod and sometimes a smile of encouragement. Slowly, the villagers waiting in line to meet the Family lost their discomfort and opened up.

Legolas stopped in front of an elleth who was cradling her left arm. “Are you in pain, my Lady?

“Oh no, your grace, it is nothing. Just a mild sprain.”

Legolas knew she was lying. “May I see it?”

The elleth panicked and stepped back. “It is truly nothing, my arm is just a little stiff.”

“I know how that feels,” a rueful Thranduil stepped into the conversation. The elleth’s mouth snapped shut in awe at the sight of the golden King. Thranduil continued as if nothing has happened. “Sometimes the slightest of knocks can hurt more than a deep wound, is that not so?” When the elleth shyly nodded, he continued in a soothing manner. “I find that a plaster is often best in such cases, something to keep the arm warm.”

“Oh yes,” agreed Legolas, picking up the conversation as if they were discussing herbal remedies for rashes and not a torn ligament, as it clearly looked to be. “In fact, I recently hurt my shoulder and found this wonderful infusion which worked wonders. Very simply to make – anyone could do it, even from home.”

“Really?”

“Truly.” Legolas stepped back a little and the elleth stepped forward from the crowd just a little. “In fact, my wife made it for me and she is … if I may confide in you?”

“Oh yes.”

“Well then you must come near for not everyone should hear this.” Legolas gently took her right arm and led her away to where the Healers stood. The poor chit walked alongside him in a daze of pain and bemusement. “She, my wife I mean, is not very good at this sort of thing. But even she can make the brew.”

“Really? She does not look like she would be bad at anything she did.” The elleth looked at Rhinure, chatting with a cluster of maid and young elves, and back up at Legolas who smiled at her kindly and made her forget the question.

“If you do not believe me, ask Healer Eirien. She will tell you about the infusion and other remedies for sprains.” Legolas handed over the elleth, mouthing ‘torn ligament’ to the Healer, who nodded imperceptibly and took the young elf to the Healers’ tent.

Rhinure watched Legolas’ progress from the corner of her eye. While his effect of females was aggravating though amazing, together, his father and he could charm a squirrel in giving them its last nut – right before winter. She would do well to remember that and remain on her guard when dealing with them.

Before her thoughts could wonder far in that dark direction, a soft whimper from a woman’s skirts caught her attention. “I think I heard something.”

“Your Highness,” the woman swallowed, hoping she had not offended her new strange Princess somehow. “It is only my daughter.” She brought a tiny elfling, maybe around ten or twelve, from behind her. She was shocked when the Princess knelt to look at the child, uncaring of her dignity or her expensive skirts.

“And who is this?” Rhinure smiled; a full blown, delighted smile which lighted her face.

And the child, recognizing a kindred spirit when she saw one, walked straight into Rhinure’s arms.

“Aertaith!” The mother stepped forward to take the child from Rhinure, mortified by the incident.

“It is well.” Rhinure swayed with the elfling in her arms, nodding to the woman. The child, lulled by the rocking, yawned again.

“I see someone is tired.”

“Yes. We walked and walked. My shoes’ scruffed.” The elfling lifted her foot to show the nice new lady.

“I can see that. We will have to get you new shoes then.” Rhinure caught hold of the foot, tickling the little knee, causing the girl to giggle.

“Yes! Pink!”

The mother gasped in embarrassment. “Your Highness, you should not encourage her.”

“Why ever not? If the child wants pink shoes then let her have them.”

“Your Highness,” the woman bit her lip. “We cannot afford it. My husband … he was hurt in the last raid and …” she trailed off.

The child sensing her mother’s distress whimpered, causing Rhinure to cuddle her closer. “Ada’s hurt. Can’t play with me no more.”

Rhinure sighed. At least he was still alive. “Who plays with you then?”

“No one. All us elflings have to sit quietly and make little noise until bad people go away. Ada promised that we’ll play here. You play too?”

“The Princess will be too busy to play, Aertaith.”

“I want pretty lady to play! And I want my new shoes!”

“A strong-willed child, are you not?” Rhinure smiled, calming the woman who was ready to wring her hands.

“Your Highness, until my husband gets well and finds a job we cannot afford such foolishness.”

“Come to the Palace tomorrow with your child and we will see what we can do.” Rhinure smoothed the girl’s black hair back from her forehead. She looked ready to fall asleep.

The woman took the drowsy baby from Rhinure’s arms. “Your Highness, we will not take charity – even from you.”

Rhinure raised a questioning eyebrow, quelling the protest before it could really gather pace. “Then it is well that I have not offered you any. I have need of a Lady’s maid. You will do if you are interested in the position.”

“Me?”

“Yes.”

“But, my Lady, I do not know how to be a Princess’ maid.”

“Well enough since I do not know how to be a Princess. We will learn. The job is yours if you wish it, with one condition though.”

“What?”

“You will bring Aertaith to the Palace with you. I have a pair of pink shoes I wish to give away and want to see if they will fit her.”

“Your Highness, you are too generous. I could not …”

“I am not generous at all. I will make you work, make no mistake about that. As for the shoes, they will be my gift to Aertaith.”

“Yes … but …”

“Are you saying that I cannot give a gift to whom I choose?”

“No your Highness. I would not dare.”

“Then are you saying that my gift would not be welcome?”

“Oh no!” The woman’s eyes widened in horror. “I am not saying that.”

“As a member of the Royal Family I may give gifts to my subjects, may I not?”

The woman nodded, not wanting to contradict the Princess, especially when she looked like that.

“Then it is settled. I will expect you tomorrow.”

The woman blinked but could not protest further as Rhinure had walked away. She smiled, a little bewildered by the pace at which things moved here. She had been worried when they had left their village about how they would make their way until her husband recovered – after all, there was only so much one could expect one’s neighbours to do. But it seemed as if someone was looking after them after all.

“What are you smiling at?” her husband asked as he joined them.

“I got a job, and Aertaith … made a new friend.”

“I left you only for ten minutes.”

“Well, what can I say? Things happen quickly here.”

“I can see that. Did you meet the Princess?”

“Yes.”

“And?”

“And … the Prince is a lucky elf.”

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“That was kind of you.”

“I do not know what you mean. I had need of a maid.”

Thranduil smiled, “And the dozen odd candidates I showed you did not suit?”

“Obviously not.”

“Her daughter was cute.”

Rhinure turned on her husband. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Absolutely nothing. I was just making an observation.”

“Shall we continue?”

Legolas exchanged a knowing look with Thranduil. “By all means, hervess nin.”                        (My wife)

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Thranduil had never been as sure as he was now that he had chosen well. Watching Rhinure walking amongst his people, he could see why the Avari had picked this young elf to lead them. She would never be the bright light Legolas was, but she was a cool cloth placed on fevered forehead.

The children worked well together, he mused. Much like Eruante and he. Thranduil’s face clouded for a moment, before smoothing once again. Now was not the time.

“My King? Are you well?” Arandur stepped forward in concern.

“Yes, Captain. Well enough. How many people are left?”

“The village chief and his wife. The day is almost at an end. The chief waits for you.”

Thranduil gestured and Rhinure and Legolas took their leave from the group they were talking to, joining the King as he made his way to a small seating area where an elf couple was already waiting.

“My King.” The chief made to bow but Thranduil stopped him.

“There is no need to stand on formality, Rion. We have known each other too long.”

“Too long for you not to know that my fealty to you goes beyond formality, your Majesty.”

“Your loyalty and your scolding is noted. And how are you Ercasse”

“As well as can be expected, your Majesty.” The handsome woman next to Rion smiled and curtsied to the King, who then escorted her to her seat.

“I wish this meeting was taking place under more cordial circumstances.”

“As do we, my King. Unfortunately, Fate will do as she will.”

“Indeed.” Thranduil beckoned Rhinure forward. “Have you met the Princess?”

“I have not had the pleasure. Your Highness.” Rion bowed to Rhinure, who returned his greeting. “Your Avari were most helpful in the evacuation.”

“That is good to know.”

“But I must say, you Majesty, that I was surprised at the severity of your command. To abandon the villages and nearby settlements now, after winning such a victory over the Enemy was unexpected. We had not realised the raids to be so serious.”

Thranduil looked at Rhinure who had joined Legolas. “The raids are not serious. We have the numbers to meet their threat now.”

“Then … my Lord, I do not understand.”

“We are uncertain as to what and where this threat is coming from. The fall of Dol Guldur has lessened the attacks, but unlike before we do not know who is behind these raids.”

“You do not know or you cannot say for certain?”

Thranduil acknowledged the difference wryly. “I always have suspicions but I will not endanger any of my elves on the off-chance I am incorrect.”

“My King is most compassionate and wise.”

“And cautious. Given the information I do have, I felt it best to move the settlements. Best that we have as little distance as needed between Us and the Realm.”

“Then we are to be moved here?”

“For the moment only. Till I have better information you are all to be my guests.”

“While we appreciate your hospitality, my King, we have our own lives which we are already anxious to get back to. The Forest laments our departure as do we.”

“I too hear the trees Rion. Too well perhaps, but I believe this is for the best. I do not move you carelessly. I still hope that we will regain the land we have lost – all of it.”

Rion nodded. “As my King commands.”

“As I request.”

Rion smiled. “Let it not be said that Rion did not treat the Woodland’s Kings slightest desire as the most dire of commands.”

Thranduil laughed. “Come. Your elves tire. We should adjourn to the repast prepared for you.”

The five elves rose from their seats. Legolas stepped forward to have a word with Thranduil. “My Lord, if you have no further need for the Princess or I, then may we be excused?”

Thranduil thought for a moment before nodding.

“Thank you, Ada.”

“Newlyweds,” the chief said knowingly.

“Yes. As we were once.”

“I remember it well.” Rion said, caressing his wife’s hand ever so gently as they watched the departing couple before heading off for lunch.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“Should we have left them?” Rhinure glanced back at the three older elves. “The King could have need of us yet.”

“I doubt it.” Legolas shrugged but did not slow his pace any. “Besides, he can summon us when he needs to.”

“How will he know were we are?”

“He will find us. He always does anyway.”

“Legolas!”

“Are you telling me that you do not find his all-too-convenient interruptions even a little bit frustrating?” When she remained silent, he added with a lecherous grin. “I know it has been some time but you cannot already have forgotten how we would just get comfortable before being interrupted?”

“If the King has need of us, it is our duty to go to him.”

“I know this … but you did not answer my question.”

Rhinure turned her head away from Legolas, not wanting to answer but not wanting to insult him either. “What I feel is irrelevant.”

“To whom? To you? Or to the King?” Legolas paused before adding, “They are certainly relevant to me.”

Rhinure’s head jerked up – this conversation was fast approaching taboo territory for her.

Perhaps sensing her silent panic, Legolas whispered, “I will not press, Rhinure – for now. Talk to me as you will.”

“Thank you.” Rhinure squeezed the arm she held on to. Wanting to explain, she added. “We do not speak of what is in our hearts often.”

“Why not?”

“It is private and not something to be displayed for all to gape at.”

“You already give so much to your people. Your duty, your obedience – even you very life. Why not this too? It is so little in the face of the rest.”

Rhinure stopped to give the question the consideration it deserved. But how to explain something which she had always taken as given? “It is not so simple.”

“It never is.”  Legolas smiled in encouragement, which seemed to work, for Rhinure returned the simile in rueful agreement.

“I think it is the very fact that I – and all Avari – give so much that we keep this back.”

“Go on.” Legolas prodded when Rhinure paused. She did not have to speak for him to know that this topic disturbed her, especially since they were out amongst the crowds. “Come.”

“Where are you taking me?”

“To that bench under that tree yonder. We will be out of the sun and will have a measure of privacy from casual listeners.”

Rhinure arranged her skirts carefully as she sat, letting the silken material fan drape against her ankles in sheer feminine softness before looking up at Legolas. “It seems as if you understand my need for privacy more than you think.”

Legolas smiled, while waving off a merchant who thought to inquire if the Royal couple needed any food or drink. Legolas declined politely saying that they would eat later.

“Where will we be eating? The King will have already sat for lunch,” Rhinure asked as the merchant left.

“I am taking you to see a friend of mine.”

“Truly?” Rhinure asked, a little surprised at the pleased interest his intent provoked. As yet, she had been careful not to intrude by asking for an introduction to Legolas’ friends, but his willingly sharing this with her pleased her.

“I want them to meet you. And you them.”

“Them?”

“My friend and his wife.”

Rhinure nodded and smiled, causing Legolas to lose his train of thought. Oft late she smiled more when she was around him, as if it were now safe to let that Avari mask slide a little. He like that interpretation, he like her smile, only wishing its appearance was still not so rare.

“Legolas?”

“Yes, my lady?”

“I seem to have lost you.”

“Never, dear one. I was just contemplating how beautiful you are.”

“Hardly, it is only your prejudice which would see it so.”

“It is the truth.” With a distracted air, Legolas raised his hand to her mouth, lightly caressing the shy smile he found there.

“Legolas, you promised.” Rhinure moved back slightly to evade his hand.

Legolas frowned as the reminder snapped him back. “I do not like this version of our agreement.”

“This version …? We agreed to not be so physical in our interaction.”

“You asked me not to seduce you. But not to touch you at all is cruel, my lady.”

Rhinure bent forward to whisper, “You know how your touch affects me. It would be seduction and you know it.”

Legolas held still, aching to rest his head against hers but determined not to give her cause to be angry with him. He liked this new peace between them. “There is more than seduction in touch, Rhinure. Sometimes here is comfort as well. Would you deny yourself and me that?”

“It is not easy, my Lord.  I do appreciate that there can be a difference, but it is a subtle difference between us and oft changes. Is it not better to abstain and not confuse ourselves for the time being?”

“I suppose.” Legolas sighed, resigning himself to the fact that he would have deny himself for a while longer. If that was the price he had to pay to win her – for in the end that was what he was playing for – then he would bide his time.

A breeze blew a stray lock over Rhinure’s cheek and Legolas felt his fingers itch to curl themselves around the strand.

“My Lord? Are you well?” Rhinure asked in alarm as Legolas twisted herself away from her.

“Well enough, my Lady.” Legolas took a deep breath to control himself and turned back with a charming smile. “You were explaining something earlier. Perhaps we should complete that explanation before moving on.”

“Very well; yes, as you wish.” Rhinure searched Legolas’ face, disturbed by his weak smile. It faltered around the edges, as if it fought a losing battle with pain. She wanted to put her arms around and cradle him to her breast until his pain eased, she realised in alarm. To do so would not only make a mockery of the promise she and Legolas had just reaffirmed, but it would also humiliate Legolas by treating him as a child and exposing his emotions to all. It would be shameful, especially when he tried so valiantly to hide his emotions behind his courtly mask. Would it not?

“Rhinure?” Legolas placed a hand on her shoulder. “It seems as if now I have lost you.”

“What was it you said … never.”

Legolas gave her sweet smile in acknowledgement. “What were you thinking of?”

“Nothing important,” Rhinure shook her head, shrugging of her strange thoughts. “I was just contemplating whether certain subtleties are even worth considering.”

Legolas’ eyes twinkled. “Are you by any chance reconsidering our bargain?” He waggled his eyebrows lecherously causing Rhinure to giggle.

Rhinure clapped her hand over her mouth, shocked at her behaviour. “No.”

“Please, dear one.” Legolas looked at her with an adorable pouting expression, causing another giggle to escape Rhinure’s control. Legolas felt the sound tickle him like sparkling wine. He lent forward to whisper. “I was blind before not to notice how beautiful you were.”

Rhinure closed her eyes to ward off those words and that burnt honey voice. “Legolas,” she warned.

“No, do not stop me. I need to say this.”

Rhinure nodded, even though her heart sped up in fear.

“You are lovely – everything is about you is beautiful. The way you look in the moonlight, the way that stray wisp of hair caresses your soft cheek,” Legolas whispered bending towards her ear. “I wish it were my fingers caressing your face, not your hair – I wish it were my fingers lingering over those cheekbones, that jaw and especially those lips.” Legolas’ eyes followed his words and Rhinure felt as if his fingers had actually touched her.

“Legolas. Stop.” Rhinure turned her face away but his mouth followed her ear, whispering inexorably.

“But do you know what the most beautiful thing about you is?”

“No.”

“Do you want to know, dear heart?”

Rhinure shook her head in denial though she found herself saying yes.

“The way your smile lights up every corner of my heart.”

Rhinure shot up in panic. “Legolas, enough!”

Legolas got to up too, waving away the elf who came hurrying over to see what the Prince and Princess needed. “Did I say something remiss?”

“Legolas … please …” Rhinure pleaded, frightened at how easy it was for Legolas to seduce her without laying even one finger on her. What use was their pact if she was going to be so weak? What use her strength if it made her hurt and long to curl herself around Legolas and forget?

“Do my words offend you, my Lady?”

Rhinure shook her head, unsure if she meant it as a yes or no.

Legolas came to stand beside her as she took a step away from him. “Then why do you run from me?”

Rhinure looked to see the incomprehension on Legolas’ face. “It is not appropriate to speak of such things.”

“How can it be inappropriate to complement you?”

“You speak of your desires – you feelings and that is inappropriate. You should not share such things.”

“Why not? Are we not husband and wife? Why should we not be able to share something simple?”

Rhinure blinked – how could he think this all to be simple? She looked around her and realised where they were. “Legolas, this is not the time or place to discuss this.”

“No one will listen – it would not be proper. They too know when to give someone privacy.”

“Legolas, it is not something I am comfortable with.” Rhinure thought that this audacious admission would end this discussion for she was not brazen enough to speak of how she felt, and his forcing her do so, should have been warning enough. But he just smiled as if she were some errant child.

Rhinure’s eyebrows drew down. Had he already forgotten his promise not to push her? Why did he insist on pushing her so hard?

“I think I have done something wrong.”

“Whatever makes you think that, my Lord?”

“Your brow has furrowed. It makes me think that the broom is to be lowered on me.”

“The broom?” The image was so incongruous that Rhinure was distracted from her anger.

“I think the broom is lifting.”

I think I do not understand.”

“It does not matter. That lovely forehead is clear once more.”  Legolas stroked the forehead, following the elegant arc of her brows.

Rhinure’s eyes met his and his hand stilled. “I think I forgot. Forgive me.”

Rhinure nodded and did not say anything when Legolas did not move his hand.

“Shall we make a move?”

“Yes.” Rhinure took Legolas’ hand into hers – only to stop him from touching her.

And the couple moved on and there were many who would swear that they were holding hands.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Is it much further?”

“So impatient, my Lady. We will reach there soon enough.”

“When.”

“In due course.”

Rhinure huffed, causing Legolas to grin. “If we walk much slower, the time for lunch will pass.”

“Are you hungry? We can get something from the market if you wish.”

“No. I thought we were going to eat with your friends.”

“We are.”

Rhinure looked up at her exasperating husband. “Well, will we not be late at this slow rate?”

“Do not worry. There is always food at Galarin’s house. Benefits of being the Palace’s Head Chef.”

“Head Chef?”

“Yes, which is why we are walking so slowly. The King and the elves will be served first before the Kitchen staff is dismissed. We have time before Galarin and his wife sit down to eat.”

“Oh … you could have told me that.”

“Why? Are you so eager to have company distract you?”

Rhinure did not rise to the bait, too much at peace to fight with her beautiful husband. She hugged his arm, rubbing it in appeasement. “No.”

Legolas subsided immediately, feeling alive and drugged at the same time. It was as if someone had dosed him with his father’s strongest whiskey. He felt like dancing and curling himself around Rhinure and not moving for a century or two. Such a simple thing, even if it was voluntarily given, to throw him into a spin.

On some level the affect she had on him as shocking – and dangerous – but Legolas firmly locked the though away. The Prince of Eryn Lasgalen could it examine it at leisure – later, much later – for now he wanted to savour this moment.

“Look, we are at the market.” Rhinure moved away to look at the milling elves.

“Yes, so we are.” Legolas wanted to pull her back but managed to restrain herself. He watched her for a minute before asking, “Do you want to go see the stalls, my Lady?”

“Could we? I mean, do we have the time? We have to be at your friend’s pace do we not?”

“Rhinure, do you want to go?”

“…. yes …. Please.”

Legolas offered Rhinure his arm. “As my Lady wishes.”

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Rhinure had seen the market from afar but never had the occasion to stroll around. She could not remember the last time she had the time to stroll amongst so many elves. Rhinure looked around in evident fascination.

There was such activity, such life – people buying and selling wares, calling out to friends, talking and even laughing. The only time she had seen such scale of activity before was usually prior to battle, but never had she heard such volume. So many voice, so many tones and pitches all melding together. With the appreciation instinctive of the quendi, Rhinure found herself charmed by the melody of so many elves together.

It was so different from Tirnen, she mused. Perhaps this was how the Quendi were before the Sundering. Perhaps this is how they would have looked in Ages now lost – happy.

Rhinure pulled her thoughts back from such dangerous speculation. In all this crowd she could not see a single Avari. Perhaps that too was apt; whatever they once were, now they were only Avari and Eldar. Wishing would not change it.

“Lady, are you well?”

Rhinure looked up at Legolas. “Yes. Why do you ask?”

“Nothing in particular, you seemed distracted.” Rhinure must not have noticed that she had moved closer and tucked herself behind him, as if he were a shield against something. The curious looks there were receiving? Legolas shook his head, he was being paranoid – Rhinure was well, there was nothing wrong with her. He had just imagined the bruised look in her eyes, the urge for him to put his arms around her and hide her away from everything that would hurt her.

“Come.” Legolas took Rhinure’s hand.

“Where are we going?”

“Wherever the wind takes us.” Legolas tugged Rhinure long until she gave up protesting about the indignity and followed. Legolas weaved in and out of the crowd, smiling and nodding but not stopping at any of the stalls.

Rhinure looked at the stalls as they whizzed by, almost pausing at the cloth merchant, her eye caught by a brilliant flame-coloured silk, only to be pulled along by Legolas. “Legolas, can we not stop – just for a moment?”

“Yes, but I want to take you somewhere first.”

“Where?”

“Wait.”

Rhinure mentally sighed and wished the red silk goodbye. “Lead on, my Lord.”

“We are here,”

“And where is here?” Rhinure asked with a distracted air, noting that Legolas’ bow, though overdone, had caused the elleth manning the stall to blush deeply. And quite prettily too, the pink colour complementing the shy smile she was directing towards her husband.

“To what is my favourite stall in the entire market.”

“Even so, were are often deprived of your presence, your Highness while others are not,” the elleth piped up only to subside under the Sacrifice’s raise eyebrow.

“I have not seen you before, otherwise I would not have been so remiss.” Legolas leant against the stall, treating the girl to a blinding smile and completely robbing her of any capacity of speech.

Rhinure noted the by-play with something which obviously could not be irritation. “You are new here?” She addressed the girl, drawing both elves’ attention back to her and away from each other.

“Yes, ma’am. My nana … she could not come today.”

“Lucky for us,” Legolas interjected, wondering why Rhinure was making the poor child so nervous. He would just have to compensate by being extra nice to her – pretty little thing.

“Yes – lucky,” echoed Rhinure. “So, my Lord, what is so special about this stall?”

 Now what had he done? Legolas wondered at Rhinure’s snapped question. “This stall, my Lady, makes the best apples in the Realm. Is that not so?”

“Yes, your Highness! At least, we like to think to think so. You see, my Ada grows his own apples and my Nana has a special recipe for …” the girl trailed off as Rhinure’s arms folded across her chest.

“This stall makes apples?”

“Yes, your Highness. Sort of.”

“Let us have two of your special green ones so we can show the Princess what we mean.” Legolas winked causing the girl to audibly sigh as she went to the back of the stall.

“You should not do that.”

“What?”

“Wink at the child. It distracts her from her job.”

“It is a harmless enough distraction,” Legolas shrugged.

“Still, you should not do it.”

“Rhinure? Are you jealous?”

“Do not be absurd.”

“You are,” insisted Legolas, only belatedly recognising the flashing eyes and stiff gait for what they were – a lover’s possessiveness.

“Should I be?”

“Now it is you who is being absurd. She is but a child.”

“So if I did the same with a child it would be fine by you.”

The image of Rhinure smiling warmly at another man seared through Legolas. “Rhinure …”

“Are you jealous, my husband?” asked Rhinure, turning his question back towards him like a sharp dagger.

“Yes! Completely and insanely so.”

“Legolas …” The dagger had turned again and nicked her ever so slightly. Was he serious or was this another jest?

“Your smiles are mine alone, dear one. I would not wish to share them, I will not share them.”

“It is just a smile, Legolas.” Rhinure was shaken by the fervour in his voice, and secretly flattered. She liked his possessiveness, it made her feel as if she truly belonged with him – to him, though she was not shameless enough to admit it.

“Yours are never just a smile, darling. They are a glimpse of the woman who resides inside that armour and ice – enchanting glimpses.” Legolas stepped forward to whisper in her ear. “That woman is beautiful and tempting as sin.”

Rhinure’s eyes fell before his and she shifted nervously. Such brazen talk in public unnerved her. “Legolas, please. The people …”

“Could not care about what we are speaking of. They are too busy with their own lives. Look.”

 Rhinure peered at the crowd which milled about the market, each elf hurrying away or towards some stall or chatting with friends. They looked busy enough. “I guess.”

“But?”

“They still look at us.”

“A cursory glance or two cannot be avoided, darling. They cannot hear us.” Rhinure still looked unconvinced so he added, “Would you rather always stay indoors? It might not be a bad idea – you in my bed all day.” He placed his arm around Rhinure’s waist and drew her nearer, delighted when she did not resist. “We would definitely be private. Do you not like that solution?”

“My Lord, this is not the time or the place.” Rhinure finally remembered to protest, placing a hand on his arm to stop him from pulling her closer, though she did not free herself.

“But do you like the solution?”

“Yes.” Rhinure looked up at her husband and he took a sharp breath in painful want.

“Dear one. Please – put me out of my misery.”

“My Lord, we had decided we were not going to … you know.”

Legolas laughed, this time causing head to turn in the couple’s directions . They saw a two youthful elves engrossed in each other. Ah, young love. The elves smiled and left the couple in relative privacy.

“So shy, my Princess? You have never been so with me before.”

“Perhaps I have never let you see it before,” she whispered, in the grip of some recklessness because she could not stop her words.

“Dare I hope? Is this progress?” Legolas asked, caressing her back lightly.

“I do not know.” Rhinure rested her head on his chest, just for a moment. “But some things cannot hidden from you all the time.”

“And others?” Legolas tightened his hold on her, head on hers, taking comfort from her proximity.

Rhinure was thankfully saved from having to make an answer by the arrival of the elleth carrying two apples. The older elves sprang apart, strangely feeling like they had been caught doing something wrong.

“Thank you, child. Now how much do I owe you?”

“No, no, my Lord. I could not take anything from you.” The elleth shook her head and place her hands behind her back.

“I insist, my Lady. Would you argue with your Prince?”

“No, of course not, your Highness. But …”

“Then accept these gold pieces in payment.”

“My Prince! They are too much.”

Legolas placed the gold in the girl’s hand and closed her fingers over them, leading Rhinure away before the elleth could argue.

“That was good of you.” Rhinure glanced behind at the young girl, still staring in their direction. She looked like Rhinure felt – dazed, but happy.

Legolas led her away from the market towards a scheduled bench. “Sit.”

“Are we not getting late?”

“We have time. Now, come sit by me and eat. Are you not hungry?”

“Yes, but …”

Legolas sighed, “Why is that every female in my life always argues with me?”

“Every female?” Rhinure crossed her arms. “Exactly how many females do you have in your life?”

“Let me think.”

“Legolas … I warn you …

“At this point, there is only you who comes to mind.”

Rhinure opened her mouth to deliver a blistering retort, only to have Legolas stuff a candied apple in her mouth. Her eyes widened at the sweet taste.

“Bite it. It will not bite back I promise.” Legolas tapped her chin and she carefully took a small bite. “It is good?”

Rhinure nodded and took another bite, savouring the tartness of the apple against the sugar.

“You have juice on the side of your mouth,” Legolas indicated. “Here, let me. You missed a little.” Legolas traced the sweet drop off her mouth, sucking it deliberately off his finger. “Delicious.”

Rhinure blushed and ducked her head to avoid his intent gaze. “You are not eating.”

Legolas smiled at the quiver in her voice. “No I am not. Do you want it?”

“No. Should we not press on? I am sure we must be late by now.” Rhinure stood and, after a sigh, Legolas stood too.

“Did you say something, my Lord?”

“Nothing of import. Come, it is not far.”

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“You are late.”

“That I am.”

“The food is getting cold.”

“Then reheat it my good man.”

“As my lord Prince commands. Though if he tarries any longer, Malyian will serve the food from across the room – she still has a good arm and even better aim.”

“I take it she is not in a good mood.”

“The baby kept her up all night and she spent most of the morning preparing for your arrival. She is most determined to make the perfect dinner for the Princess.”

“And what of me?”

“What of you? You will eat anything I make.”

“In that case, Galarin, may I introduce my wife, the Princess Rhinure.”

“Your Highness.” Galarin sketched a deep bow to the silent lady by Legolas’ side.

“You have never bowed to me.”

“You are not as beautiful as your wife.” Galarin stepped forward to offer Rhinure his arm but then hesitated, afraid that the casual banter between her husband and he would prove offensive to her.

Rhinure’s sharp eyes notice the slight movement; before Galarin could feel any more awkward she took the two steps forward to reach him, all the while wondering why everyone in Eryn Lasgalen felt in necessary to lead her hither and thither. “I believe you said something about us keeping your wife waiting and letting the food cool.”

“Ah … my Lady, I did not mean to imply any fault. The food is warm and awaits you. And my wife …”

“Will continue to wait in vain unless we make a move on.” Legolas came to poor Galarin’s rescue and took Rhinure’s other arm.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“That was a lovely meal, thank you.” Rhinure addressed Malyian, who flushed in pleasure.

“Yes, you really outdid yourself this time,” Legolas added

“Thank you, your Highnesses. But it is Galarin who deserves the praise. I just added the finishing touches, the work was his.”

“Without the finishing touches the work is worthless. As I am without you.”

Malyian blushed at her husband’s gallantry and busied herself in clearing the dishes to avoid that roguish smile.

“Here, let me help.” Rhinure rose to gather the plates at her side, uncomfortable with sitting idle in the midst of such banter.

“Oh no!” Malyian’s shocked exclamation stilled Rhinure’s hand. “You are our guest, your Highness. I could not let you clear the dishes.”

“Are you certain? It would be no bother and is something I am used to.”

“Please your Highness, I could not ask you to clear the table.”

“Well, that is settled.” Legolas lent back, crossing his arms behind his head.

“Who said you could rest?” Galarin swatted the Prince while he helped his wife with the dishes.

“Do you want a couple of broken dishes to add to my track record? After this meal I could not move even if I tried.”

“And you do not have to. You too are our honoured guest, my Lord.” Malyian smiled and shushed her husband who made to protest.

“They are good friends to you,” Rhinure observed as the couple went into the kitchen.

“The best kind.” Legolas smiled in their wake, remembering how much he enjoyed spending time with Galarin.

Rhinure kept silent observing the contented expression on her husband’s face. The minutes lengthened but Legolas obviously felt not need to fill them with conversation, giving Rhinure the time to look around the room. A small sound suddenly distracted her from her contemplation.

“Where are you off to, Rhinure?”

“I though I heard something. Excuse me, my Lord.”

“Rhinure? What ….?” Legolas blinked in confusion as his wife left the room in a hurry, closely followed by Malyian, who seemed as distracted, if not more. “Malyian, is something wrong?”

“No, nothing, my Lord,” Malyian called out to Legolas. “The baby was just grousing. Poor thing felt a little ignored I think.” Malyian stepped back into the room, carrying in little Mírie, followed by Rhinure.

“I did not hear anything.”

“Do not worry, my friend, it is a female thing. They can hear any baby movement for over hundred yards.” Galarin added wryly, stepping nest to Legolas while drying his hands on a towel.

“But, Rhinure heard her too.”

“Well, hir nin, she is a female.”

“I guess.” To Legolas’ shock, his unbending wife was now making soft cooing noises at the baby, who was madly waving her arms at all the attention.

“May I hold her?” Rhinure whispered.

“Of course, your Highness.” Malyian smiled at the young Princess, recognising the primordial maternal instinct that coloured Rhinure’s question.

Rhinure took the baby carefully from Malyian’s arms settling her against her hip. Thankfully, Mírie was too fascinated by the new visitor to complain. “Are you not the most pretty baby in the world? So sweet and perfect.” Rhinure tickled Mírie causing her to giggle and grab Rhinure’s fingers. “And strong too.”

“Well, my friend. You might not have to wait for long after all.” Galarin nudged Legolas.

“For what?” Legolas swatted at the Chef, concentrating on the sight in front of him. Who would have thought that Rhinure has such a soft, silly side to her?

Rhinure lifted the baby in her arms, causing Mírie to squeal in delight and clutch at Rhinure’s hair for support. Rhinure winced but gently cradled the baby to her, making nonsense sounds while untangling her hair from the tenacious grasp.

“It seems as if your Lady likes babies after all.”

“What?” Legolas turned to his friend, frowning.

“Your Lady. She obviously is fond of children and therefore, would probably like her own.”

Rhinure’s children – their children. The thought hit Legolas with the force of a killing blow. He blinked, seeing a gold-haired elfling in her arms, their little daughter. His child.

“Legolas.” Galarin placed a careful hand on Legolas’ shoulder. “Are you well?”

Legolas shook his head to clear it and impossible dreams but all he could see was Rhinure smiling down at the baby in her arms. He walked over to her in a daze.

Rhinure looked up at his, her smile emblazoned on her face, causing Legolas’ heart to kick widely in his chest. “Is she not beautiful?”

“The most beautiful thing I have ever seen.” Legolas covered Rhinure’s fingers caressing Mírie cheeks, with his own.

At the touch, Rhinure jerked, the contact burning her; but not as much as Legolas’ heated gaze hid. The blue eyes glittered, hurting Rhinure with heir message and promise. A promise that one day she too would be swollen with his child. Rhinure could feel her body ache for that child, responding the ache in Legolas.

“Should I take Mírie, my Lady?” Malyian broke the tableau between the two elves, forcing Rhinure’s attention back to the baby, who was now almost jumping out of Rhinure’s arms to get back to her mother.

“Yes, of course.” Rhinure turned away from Legolas to hand the baby back, still feeling the heat rising from him and feeling embarrassed that the other couple had witnessed their loss of control. “We should be leaving. It is getting late.”

“Can you not stay any longer, your Highness? Mírie would love for you to stay and play with her.”

“No! I mean, we have some issues to take care of at the Palace,” Rhinure hastened to explain, softening her abrupt refusal, which was prompted by a tightening of Legolas’ hand on her arm. “It was a lovely afternoon though. Thank you.”

“The pleasure was all ours, your Highness. We hope to have you over again soon.”

“We would like that. Farewell for now.”

“Farewell.”

Legolas and Rhinure exited the house leaving behind a bemused Galarin and Malyian behind. “The Prince did not say goodbye.”

“I think he was a little distracted.”

“How can you tell?”

“It is a male thing, my dear. I know how he feels right now.”

“How?”

“Like an egg thrown in boiling water.”

Malyian giggled. “You are being absurd.”

Galarin smiled down at his wife. “Perhaps.”

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“Where is the Prince, First Guard?”

“In his quarters, my Lady.” As Rhinure made to enter, Herenion called out stopping her. “My Lady, he is not in the best of moods at the moment.”

“And therefore?’

“Therefore, maybe, you should not go in right now.”

“Thank you for your advice, First Guard, but I must see my husband right now.” And without another word, Rhinure swept into Legolas’ chambers. She could not explain the urgency to see him but it was undeniable. He had avoided her since they had returned from lunch and even Rhinure could tell something was wrong. Never had Legolas run away from anything but he was running now. And she meant to find our why.

The rooms were dark with the curtain pulled over the windows but Rhinure’s eyes were drawn towards a long chair near the bed where Legolas sat slumped.

“What are you doing here?”

“Looking for you.”

“Must be a pleasant change. Usually it is I who is looking – or should I say chasing?”

“Do you find it as easy as I do?” returned Rhinure not rising to the sarcasm in Legolas’ voice. When he did not respond, Rhinure sat down on the bed near him, convinced now that something was terribly wrong but not sure how to broach the subject without crossing her boundaries.

“Do you wish to have children, Rhinure?” The abrupt question broke the uneasy stillness in the room.

“Legolas … I … why the question?”

“Answer it if you please.”

Rhinure took a deep breath and wondered if she could prevaricate.

“And answer truthfully.”

Rhinure smiled; it seemed as if Legolas knew what he was doing to her – but, it did not matter. She could match the baldness of the question with honestly. “Yes, I do … at some stage. Does not every quendi?”

“My children?”

“Whose else would they be?”

“That is not an answer.”

“It was for the silly question you asked.”

Legolas shot forward from his chair, grabbing Rhinure’s wrist before she could blink. “When you dream of children, when you dream of holding them in your arms, are they mine or just children? Do they have my eyes, my features, any part of me?”

“The girl we will have your hair.”

Legolas made a choked sound and turned his back on Rhinure, inexplicably hurt by the answer.

“The girl will have your hair – sun-kissed,” Rhinure repeated to her husband’s back. Though he did not say anything, she felt as if she had struck him. He was hurting, she could feel it in her bones but she did not how to make it stop. She stepped forward to touch him but hesitated. Should she do this? Would this not break their pact when only this morning she had insisted on it being followed? Would the urge to enfold Legolas in her arms and rock him as she wished to do to their children, make her a hypocrite?

Legolas did not move, though he could feel Rhinure standing behind him. Her words had robbed him of the composure he had been trying to muster since he had left Galarin’s house. Seeing Rhinure with the baby had reawakened the dreams which he had buried so successfully, convinced that it was the right thing to do. But knowing that Rhinure wanted the same, made the dream all the more real, if not any more right.

Rhinure hesitated for a moment longer, taking in the stiff back and desperate knuckles hanging on to the back of the chair. Pact be damned, she would do what she must.

Warm arms crept around his waist, shocking Legolas out of his melancholy. Palms came to rest on his chest as Rhinure moved forward, resting her head on his back, listening to him breath, soothing him with her nearness. Slowly the tension left his body and his hands came to cover hers, holding her to him even though she mode no move to leave.

“On the other hand, the boys …”

“Boys?”

“Yes, we will have two, did you not know this?” Rhinure swallowed as tears threatened to make her voice choke. “We will have two boys, one will be the eldest and the other the youngest, so our little girl will have someone to bully and someone to watch out for her. They will look like me, dark-haired and with stubborn chins.”

“Beautiful.”

“You are just prejudiced.”

“I think the word you are looking for is discerning.”

“Hush, let me finish. The boys will look like me, except they will have your eyes. Brilliant blue eyes for our brilliant boys.”

“Oh, Rhinure.” Legolas turned to gather her tightly in his arms. “They are beautiful, your children.”

“Our children,” Rhinure corrected, stroking Legolas’ back.

“It is a nice dream.”

Rhinure raised her head to look at her husband’s face. So handsome but so sad. “It will come true, husband. Some day.”

“When, dear one? When this minute passes and I cannot touch you any longer, or when we are back at each others throats?”

“Our not being together is only temporary,” Rhinure pointed out, avoiding the latter part of Legolas’ question.

“And only a temporary solution to a bigger problem.”

“Perhaps not, perhaps it will be a solution, period.” Rhinure cradled Legolas’ face in her palms. “We will get there, my Lord, my husband. I know it.”

“How can you be so certain?”

“I do not know, but I am.” At least, right now I am, Rhinure admitted to herself ruefully. In the peace of this moment, everything seemed possible, even their reconciliation.

“Thank you for lying to me.”

“You are welcome.”

Legolas smiled and gathered her closer, burying his face in her hair. His hands caressed her back in absent-minded rhythm, taking and giving comfort. But as the minutes passed, the caress changed.

“Legolas, I think I should leave now.”

“Hmmm.” The rhythm now turned wicked, engrossed Legolas.

“Legolas!”

“That is not fair, my Lady. You touched me first.”

“That was different.”

“So you do appreciate the difference between one touch and another.”

“Yes yes.”

“So I was correct?”

“You are impossible.”

“But we are now back to my version of our pact are we not?”

“Your version?” Rhinure looked up, a little confused.

“I need to be able to have you near, to be able to touch you, dear one. As do you.”

Rhinure nodded, causing Legolas to grin. “Why do I think this was a mistake?”

“Never, my Lady. I would not betray your trust. I do know the difference between comfort and seduction.”

“And what were you doing just now?”

“Hoping that you did not.”

Rhinure burst out laughing, not being able to hold on to her anger against the relief that the dark cloud had finally left Legolas.

Legolas stepped forward and Rhinure’s laughter immediately stopped at his ardent look. “I think you should leave now, my Lady.”

“Yes, there is much to do for our trip to Gondor.”

“Yes, much to be done. We leave two days hence.”

“So, I should leave then.”

Legolas nodded though his eyes said something different. Rhinure fled, not trusting herself to linger in the room any longer.

“We will get there, my Lady. Even though I know not where “there” will be, we will make it,” Legolas vowed as he looked around the empty room and sighed.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List