Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit to Imladris  by Dragon

"Elrond!" Gil-galad called as a rather annoyed elf lord stalked out onto the terrace. He and Glorfindel had been enjoying a drink, recalling the look on Celeborn's face as their small tidal wave had reached him. Glorfindel's face kept breaking into a big open grin, a sure sign that he was particularly happy. However both recognised that the joke had gone a touch too far and fell silent as Elrond strode towards them.

"Good Evening," Elrond said angrily, glowering at the blond elf who had the sense to look rather abashed.

"It was wrong of me. I am sorry." Glorfindel managed a fairly sincere apology seeing how annoyed his friend was with the incident.

Elrond sat down with an incredibly disgruntled air, his back to the blond elf. Gil-galad raised his eyebrows and gave his heir a 'behave' look, a look that Elrond hadn't seen since he was a tiny elfling.

"It matters not," Elrond turned around and spoke in a voice that left no doubts as to its insincerity.

"That is better," Gil-galad ignored the tone of the remark and slapped Elrond affectionately on the shoulder, "And as for my part, I too am sorry for any misfortune my gallantry has caused."

Elrond scowled at the King but accepted the glass that was offered to him, taking a long drink with a sigh.

"Is it that bad?" Gil-galad asked in an amused voice. Glorfindel caught his eye and both broke into laughter.

"It is not amusing whatever you fools may think," Elrond narrowed his eyes at the laughing pair, "Lord Celeborn is an important ally. It will not do to . . ."

"Oh Lord Celeborn!" Glorfindel interrupted with the air of one who has just made an important discovery. Elrond gave him a look that would have slain a lesser elf.

~*~

"Lady Celebrian has grown into a pleasant young lady," Gil-galad commented casually. It was the third time that Elrond had steered the conversation away from the pretty blonde elf and it was the third time that Gil-galad had succeeded in steering it back.

"Indeed! She is quite beautiful!" Glorfindel said a little too loudly in his attempts to avoid laughing, "Uncommonly so!"

Elrond glared at him, thinking of all things sharp and blood stained. There was a large armoury in Imladris and he held the key.

"Elrond?" Gil-galad asked, the left corner of his mouth twitching. Glorfindel choked on his drink and had to be slapped on the back a few times before he recovered. A task done with much gusto by Elrond.

"She is a. . ." Elrond paused as he searched for an adjective. Something bland and un-incriminating. "A good ambassador for her people."

Glorfindel and Gil-galad agreed as they watched their friend slowly turn red. Anyone who could consume that much horseradish in the name of diplomacy had gained their unquestioning respect.

"It is a warm evening," Glorfindel said with only a hint of devilry, "You look quite hot my friend."

Elrond promptly began turning a colour close to magenta and the troubled grey eyes sank to the floor. Gil-galad got up with a yawn, it was getting late and he felt that it was time that the torture of the poor lad ended. In any case he didn't know how much longer he could go without laughing out loud.

"Well, I must bid you good night."

Elrond looked up and opened his mouth as if about to say something then changed his mind. Gil-galad watched him a few seconds to see if he would pluck up the courage to continue, but he was not forthcoming. He squeezed Elrond's shoulder in support and then left, passing through the archway to the bedrooms.

"I too shall turn to bed," Glorfindel sprang up grinning broadly adding over his shoulder, "Sweet dreams Elrond!"

~*~

"Quite a scene. I do not know what came over them." Celeborn unfastened his shirt as he talked to his wife. He had been staying in Imladris for quite some time and he had never seen the young Lord quite so awkward or ungainly. The thought that his daughter was contagious passed through his mind.

"They are yet young," Galadriel leant over the edge of the bed brushing her hair, "and foolish."

"They behaved like little elflings trying to win a maiden's favour," Celeborn splashed water on his face. The silence from his wife made him whirl around aghast. "You do not think. . ."

The arrival of his daughter in the bedroom cut off whatever he may have said next.

"Adar, it is wonderful to be with you again." Celebrian embraced him tightly. She had decided that if the Lord of Imladris was allowed to wander around with a circlet hanging over his ear then there was nothing wrong with skipping down the corridor in her nightdress and gown.

"It is wonderful to see you both again." Celeborn returned the hug, trying to keep his tone from implying that it would be all the more wonderful if he were to be given some time alone with his wife.

"It was a long day child, you must be tired." Galadriel kissed her daughter before climbing into bed. Celebrian was dancing on the spot looking perfectly delighted with life, a first for the aftermath of any formal occasion. "So Celebrian, what do you think of Imladris?"

"I like it here Ammė, I think it is wonderful." Celebrian's face shone with happiness as she elaborated. "They're all so. . .so. . .silly!"

Galadriel could only hope that that explanation would not be repeated in a formal setting.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List