Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit to Imladris  by Dragon

This would not do, he must know. Leaving the table in a mess Elrond chased after his friend. The sound of the hurried footsteps on the paving caused the blond elf to turn round in surprise. Elrond approached his waiting friend rather awkwardly.

"Glor," Elrond touched the dark blue sleeve of his friend's tunic, "Would you walk with me a while?"

Glorfindel turned to the dark-haired elf, looking at his face as if appraising his intentions.

"Surely."

The two strolled through the moonlit gardens and along the path to the deep pool at the edge of the waterfall. Here Glorfindel sat down on a flat moss covered stone and observed his fidgeting friend with an impatient air.

"Out with it Peredhil! What bothers you so?"

"Oh," Elrond paced along the pebbles on the shore "It is nothing."

Glorfindel rested his chin on the palm of his hand, laughing at the uneasy half elf.

"Nothing? I know you too well Elrond," he looked hard at where Elrond was tugging at his left index finger with his right hand, "And when you squirm so we know there is something bothering those worthy thoughts of yours!"

Elrond's hands dropped rigidly to his side. Glorfindel was looking at him curiously, eyebrows raised. The Lord of Imladris licked his lips nervously.

"Glor," to Glorfindel's amusement his friend flushed deeply, "I. . . I find that Celebrian. . . I like. . . she has nice hair!"

"Yes," Glorfindel agreed affably trying to hide his grin, "Her hair is indeed fine."

Elrond scowled deeply and bent to pick up a stone.

"And she is pleasant company," instead of skimming the surface the stone entered the water with an inelegant splash.

"Indeed she is entertaining." Glorfindel bit hard on his tongue to avoid grinning.

Elrond whirled around to look at his friend wondering if he was being deliberately thick.

"I like her Glorfindel! I like her a lot. I almost. . ." Elrond paused and strode over to stand in front of his friend, "Tonight you. . . are you fond of the Lady Celebrian?"

"She is a fine lady," Glorfindel broke into a broad grin deciding to torture his friend no longer, "But not in the manner you speak of, no."

Elrond relaxed, relief flooding into his face.

"Then why. . .?"

"Why?" Glorfindel's face lit up in laughter. "Why? You are so easy to bait Elrond. And I must amuse myself!"

Elrond shot his friend a look that was certainly not appreciative of the brave warrior and slayer of Balrogs.

"So you would not resent my attentions?"

"No," Glorfindel shook his head still chuckling away at his own joke.

"She is so beautiful," Elrond paced off before swinging around aggressively, "And you have no feelings for her?"

"No Elrond I do not." Glorfindel repeated as he looked up at his friend's face. Elrond clearly did not believe him. Or he could not believe that anyone who looked upon his beloved would not also fall in love. "You do not understand Peredhil."

"I will not mind if you share my attraction," Elrond said earnestly as all mirth left the younger face, "I will more than understand."

Glorfindel stood up suddenly and began striding back up the path to the house.

"No Elrond, you do not understand. You cannot."

"Glor?" Elrond rushed after his friend confused by the sudden sadness in the familiar voice.

Sighing heavily Glorfindel sat down on a fallen tree trunk and stared morosely out across the pool.

"There was one once. One who said that she would wait for me." Glorfindel dug his fingernails into the soft moss, "My heart does not belong here Elrond. My heart belongs to a place and people that no longer exist. I do not belong here."

Elrond sat down and placed his hand on his friend's arm. When this produced no adverse reactions he rubbed it slightly. He had no idea how to or even if he should attempt to comfort such an elf lord.

"You have family Glorfindel."

"My family is gone Elrond, they have left without me." Glorfindel suddenly found something very interesting to look at the opposite direction from Elrond's face. Elrond sighed. He understood that all too well. Had it not been for the King he too would no longer have anyone to call family. However in founding Imladris he had found a peace and friendship that had been so far lacking in his life.

"You are family to me. My family is your family."" Elrond squeezed his hand and was surprised a few moments later to find the squeeze returned.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List