Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit to Imladris  by Dragon

The sun slowly rose in the sky as Celebrian studied the picture, the water bubbling merrily beneath her feet. Much as she would dearly love to tear out to page for her own keeping it was most definitely not the sort of behaviour expected of the daughter of the Lady of the Wood, and knowing her luck she would drop the precious page. . . probably right at the Lord of Rivendell's feet. Her cheeks flushed at the very thought.

It was so peaceful in Imladris. She could imagine living here. . . Lady of Imladris! It had a nice sound. Celebrian, Lady of Imladris. Giggling at the thought she kicked her feet in the water sending crystal orbs of water flying through the still air. If she lived here nobody would think anything of it, whatever she did wrong.

~*~

The Imladris Guard consisted of some of the bravest and most experienced warriors in middle earth. It also contained some of the youngest, most reckless and bawdy elves anyone could ever hope to meet. The early morning sword drills had just ended and a group of soldiers were making their way down to the river for a refreshing swim before breakfast. Unfortunately the elves that made up the small party were quite decidedly of the latter variety.

The noise of voices making their way down the path to the plunge pool disturbed Celebrian from her pleasant daydreams. They were singing a familiar tune but with words that she didn't quite recognise. Intrigued she bent her head to listen. No wonder Ammė had not allowed that song to be sung in Lorien!

Picking up the book she began skipping across the rocks back to the shore with more haste than care.

"Oh!" A young elf with black hair loose across his shoulders emerged by the pool and gawked openly as the pretty elf leapt from stepping stone to stepping stone.

"Oh!" Celebrian turned mid-leap and tried to prevent the lofty skirt of her nightdress from revealing too much of her body. Unsurprisingly this action led to her plunging into the calm water with a splash reminiscent of the finer fountains in the great palace of the High King.

Five other elves rushed out from the trees just in time to see large numbers of ripples reaching the shore and a dripping elven princess surface in the middle of the pool. Six pairs of eyes stared at her, six mouths dropping open in surprise.

Trying to remember if her mother ever said anything about diplomatic procedure should one end up submerged in the river in full view of six handsome young elves in various states of undress Celebrian smiled sweetly.

"It is a fine morning."

"It is indeed." One of them murmured politely, the other five seemingly frozen in shocked states.

"The water is very refreshing." Deciding that the best course of action was to smile sweetly and depart, as if she intended to go swimming in her nightclothes Celebrian began wading out of the cool water.

It was only when the mouths dropped open further that she realised her mistake and swiftly stepped back into deeper water. How could she have been so stupid as to leave her cape behind? Why had Ammė gifted her with those pretty silken garments when she could have been wearing a thick woollen nightdress? Did she not use her mirror for useful purposes? Wool was so much warmer. And did not go translucent when immersed in water.

Celebrian splashed awkwardly in the water, waiting for one of the gallant young elves to come and rescue her from her predicament. Unfortunately the gallant young elves did not seem to be very co-operative this morning. Silent minute passed into silent minute, the elves on the shore beginning to shuffle awkwardly.

"I am come!" A blond elf who had just finished changing from his practice clothing leapt from the trees onto the pebbled shore, shouting joyfully as he started into the water.

Glorfindel. Celebrian smiled in relief. Such a polite and mature elf would be sure to know the correct etiquette for this situation. Even if he did prance around the gardens of Imladris wearing only shorts. Waving merrily at the blond elf she waited in anticipation.

Stopping suddenly, nearly toppling over as he skidded on the loose shingle, the blond elf adopted the gawking expression of his comrades. Sighing slightly Celebrian increased the frequency of her waves. Glorfindel turned to his friends and spoke with them, finally turning to stare at Celebrian with an expression of comprehension.

Celebrian smiled sweetly at him. The sweet smile was beginning to wear thin and she felt like she might cry if this carried on much longer.

Glorfindel stared at her, his mouth twitching slightly. Then turning slightly pink he grinned awkwardly and cast his eyes to the ground, shaking slightly from barely suppressed laughter. Taking their cue from their leader the gawking elves began to smile slightly.

Why, Celebrian thought, had they placed words such as brave and honourable in the numerous songs about his death. Unpleasant, rude and stupid would have fit better. Glaring at the laughing elf she recited the most violent sections of the verses in her head. She was fast coming to have sympathy with the Balrog.

Realising that there would be no valiant rescue, Celebrian walked out of the water covering herself as well she could with the soggy book, her head held high with as dignified an air as she had ever managed. She stalked past the grinning elf lord and his uncomfortable companions without making a sound.

However once she was hidden behind the trees she dropped the self assured walk to run as fast as she could, off the path and through the trees, hoping to find a place in which she would never have to face another elf again. She began to cry as she ran, eventually dropping to the ground in the shade of a beach tree, well away from wherever anyone might walk. She curled up, burying her face in the crook of her elbow and cried as she had never cried before, tears of anger and humiliation sliding down her face onto the grass and dead leaves.

~*~

Awkwardly Glorfindel approached Celebrian as she lay sobbing on the ground. He regretted his actions now. . . he had regretted them at the time. She would not understand that it was out of his own embarrassment rather than mirth at her situation that he had laughed.

What he had done had been unforgivable. Had one of his people behaved in such a manner towards a lady - any woman - he would have not hesitated in his judgement.

"Lady Celebrian." He touched her lightly on the arm, causing her to turn to face him. He handed her his cloak and snivelling she drew it over her body.

"I am sorry for what I did. It was very wrong of me."

Celebrian looked at him, her face pink and swollen with tears and her nose running. She wondered if it was obligatory or indeed possible to be gracious under such situations. Not feeling particularly guilty she wiped her nose on his cloak and considered her response.

"Ow!" Glorfindel recoiled quickly clutching his cheek. It was not dignified, it was not mature and if was definitely not the behaviour expected of her. However it had made her feel immeasurably better.

Celebrian looked at him, somewhat shocked at the bright red finger marks she had left on his cheek. She wondered what Ammė would say when she found out. It did not bear thinking about.

"I suppose I was deserving of that." To her surprise Glorfindel grinned roguishly and helped her up in a friendly manner, picking her up easily when he noticed that she had no shoes on. "And where does my fair Lady Celebrian wish to go?"

Celebrian couldn't stop a mischievous smile lighting up her face. He may have been rude, but there was no denying that when it crossed his mind to do so Glorfindel was a delightful companion.

"I must change. . . but I cannot walk through the halls like this."

"Ah. So the window is in order?"

Celebrian smiled at him gratefully.

"And which bedroom has been assigned to such a lady? For I would not wish to pitch you into the revered bedchamber of Lord Elrond himself."

Glorfindel could not resist a grin as Celebrian turned puce at the last remark.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List