Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit to Imladris  by Dragon

Celebrian woke early when the morning sunlight peeping through the tall arched windows crept across her face. She lay in bed a while longer, replaying the events of the previous evening in her mind, her cheeks pleasantly warm from the sun. Birds were singing out in the gardens and she could hear the gentle rustle of leaves in the canopies.

However as a quite wonderful plan came to mind she slipped down from the soft pillows and peered out of the door. It was early yet, and nobody was about. And she would not take so long. And if she waited then maybe she would miss the opportunity to carry out the plan without entertaining curious eyes.

Making her decision she pulled her cape on over her nightgown and skipped down the passageways to the library, the paving stones cool and smooth under her bare feet. Pushing open the large oak doors she crept into the shadow of one of the large bookcases and surveyed the room, making sure than nobody else was watching.

No one was there. She was quite safe. And the materials she wished to access were conveniently placed on the shelves next to the large window seat. Holding down her skirt from the breeze that seemed intent on blowing the silky fabric up around her knees she scampered across the room in a manner more appropriate for an elfling than a princess, and sank down into the soft cushions. She couldn't help a happy smile from playing across her lips as she reached for a thick leather bound volume.

~*~

Celebrian was not the only one up at this early hour on the fine morning. As was his custom Gil-galad rose before the eastern edges of the sky even began to tinge on pink, thus enabling him to have some little time to himself before he had to face all the pressing duties of a King.

He was fond of Imladris. There was a peace here that was lacking even in his own sumptuous palaces. Maybe because it was not his responsibility. He was proud of what the young lord had achieved and the stronghold that he had created. But mostly proud of him for having overcome the shadows that had haunted his life from childhood.

In all his years as King, nothing had plagued him with as much shame and regret as his failure to shield the children from what they had suffered. He remembered looking into the grey eyes that had seen things that they should never have even imagined for the first time, as the boy had scrabbled desperately for a pebble with which to attempt to defend himself. It had taken both boys a long time to recover from their ordeal. Many sleepless nights walking quietly along the corridors his sleeping shirt pulled tight across his chest, the loose fabric being held in fistfuls by the skeletal hands of clinging elflings.

But he was no longer an elfling. Indeed in light of the events of the previous evening he seemed to have grown up rather rapidly of late. Although Gil-galad missed the openness that had been there as a child. There had been something that he had wished to say the previous night. Sucking in the left corner of his lower lip as he often did when making a decision Gil-galad decided to seek him out in private during the day. Providing of course that the memory of the flood incident had not festered overnight.

~*~

Celebrian brushed a tangled blonde curl out of her eyes as she reached eagerly for another book on elven history. This one was even thicker than the one she had just finished perusing, which now lay open at the relevant page to her side. Flicking quickly through the pages she soon found what she was looking for and settled back to gaze at the page. Who would have thought that a book that looked so boring on the outside would have such rewarding content?

Gil-galad wandered down the corridor munching on an apple when he noticed the door to the library was ajar. Sure that nobody but his heir would be studying the dusty tomes at this hour he hurried towards the doorway. It appeared that his wish would be fulfilled sooner rather than later.

Celebrian's head jerked up guiltily as she heard the approaching footsteps. Blushing furiously she attempted to shut some of the books and place them back on the shelves before she was discovered.

What if it was him? She would never hide the evidence in time. There was only one option available. Grabbing her favourite book she scrambled over the high carved back of the seat and out of the window, dropping lightly onto the flowers that adorned the edge of the terrace.

Smiling in relief at the close escape she skipped through the gardens, looking for a private spot in which she could study the book in peace. Eventually she came across some smooth stones on a shingle beach by the edge of the plunge pool of the waterfall. It was perfect. She curled up on the edge of the largest stone, dangling her toes in the rippling water, and resumed her earnest study of her favourite pages.

~*~

"Elrond?" Gil-galad was somewhat perplexed to find the room empty apart from a sea of books covering the window seat, shelves and floor nearby. Gil- galad strode over curiously, glancing down at the books.

Whilst his heir was not present in the flesh, his likeness peered from every open page and untied scroll. A crumpled grey cape lying on the cushions caught his eye and the High King laughed long and loudly in a manner in which he had not indulged for many years.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List