Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit to Imladris  by Dragon

Celebrian impatiently followed her parents to breakfast, hoping that increasing the pace of her stride would cause her parents to speed up likewise. She could not wait to see him again.

"Celebrian," Galadriel said reproachfully, "I am sure that Lord Elrond does not intend to starve us. There is no need to run to breakfast."

Celebrian turned scarlet at mention of his name, and slowed her pace considerably. She did not notice her father's sudden frown.

Of course he did not intend to starve them. He was perfect in every way. She had sat up most of the night, reliving the events of the evening, and even now her entire body seemed to be bubbling with excited happiness.

Due to the danger in the gardens, he had escorted her back to her room, before giving her a tiny white rose that he had picked somewhere along the way. And when she had thanked him, he had leant down and kissed her cheek.

The only part she was less satisfied with, was the role that she had played. Uncertain of what she should have done next, she had repeated her thanks, bade him goodnight and fairly dashed into her bedroom. Hardly the behaviour of a beautiful, elegant elven princess.

But he liked her! She was special.

~*~

"Good morning." Celebrian beamed at Elrond as she took her place at the table, but to her disappointment he did not seem to hear, and started a new conversation with Glorfindel with barely a glance.

"It is a lovely morning." Celebrian commented in a louder voice as she spread butter and honey on her roll. She drew everybody's attention apart from the target elf-lord who seemed to still be under the impression that he was in conversation with Glorfindel. Glorfindel, unfortunately, appeared to be more interested in what she had to say.

"What shall we do today? It is such a fine day, I would hate to miss it!" Celebrian ignored her mother's slight shaking of her head, and continued briskly. "Lord Elrond, what do you propose I should do?"

With no choice left, Elrond turned his attention away from Glorfindel, and faced the rest of the table.

"It is a lovely day. The riverside walk is particularly fine at this time of year." That should give him the opportunity of some time alone with Celebrian. The path was not wide enough for three.

"Or we could use boats." Glorfindel suggested, reaching for the jam. "It is a very pleasant trip through the valley."

"Why, that sounds delightful." Galadriel smiled. While she trusted Elrond deeply, she was beginning to think that she had better keep a closer eye on her daughter. "I love the water."

~*~

"Lord Celeborn, it is an unexpected pleasure." Elrond spoke through his teeth with a pained smile. Celebrian was currently gliding by, trailing one hand in the water and talking animatedly to Glorfindel. Galadriel and Gil- galad were deep in discussion, barely noticing the beautiful surroundings as they talked.

He was still a little fuzzy about how in the muddle of getting into boats, he had ended up with Celeborn and Celebrian had ended up with Glorfindel. But since it had been Celeborn helping his wife and daughter into the boats, he had a target to blame.

"Aye, it is long since we have talked." Celeborn said, looking rather infuriatingly smug.

"The river is beautiful today." Elrond said seriously, nodding at the clear water. The sun was shining strongly, and the river was lit by glinting reflections. Every so often the water would spread out in circular ripples where a water beetle or dragonfly had touched the surface.

"Aye, it is." Celeborn glanced casually at his daughter who was risking a soaking by leaning out rather further than was safe. "My Celebrian is enjoying herself."

"Mmm." Glad of an excuse, Elrond stared openly at Celebrian, smiling slightly.

"She is very beautiful herself, of course." Celeborn said absently. "She takes after her mother."

"Er. . ." Elrond steeled his courage. It was only polite after all. "Yes. She is most pretty."

Celeborn watched him from under his lashes with a slightly evil twist to his mouth.

"Indeed. She has suitors aplenty of course." Celeborn kept his amusement at the sudden panicked look that Elrond gave him to himself. "A very popular maiden is my Celebrian."

"Uh. . . is she. . . has she. . . has she yet pledged herself to another?" Elrond stuttered miserably.

"Celebrian?" Celeborn paused to think, and decided to stay out of the boundaries of an outright lie. There was no knowing where a careless word could end up. It could reach Celebrian, or worse his wife. "No. She leads them on a merry dance."

Celeborn gave a scarily convincing tolerant fatherly chuckle.

"I fear that she is not yet ready to commit to marriage." He leant forward conspiratorially and lowered his voice. "But between you and me, lately I think that there has been one with a special place in her heart."

"Oh." Elrond shuffled uncomfortably, wondering if he could get away with asking who. "I hope that he is well suited for her."

"Aye." Celeborn said in a satisfied voice. "There are many elves of fine blood in Lorien, but he. . . he is all I could hope for in a son."

"But. . . what about those elves that reside in other realms." Elrond ventured cautiously. "There may be elves of fine blood there."

Celeborn shot Elrond with a 'my baby's not leaving Lorien' look.

"Those prancing elves of Greenwood!" Celeborn said with a scornful sneer. "Ha!"

"It could be wise." Elrond licked his lips nervously. "In the gathering dark it would be wise to have allies."

Celeborn began fidgeting with his hands, wringing one thumb in the palm of the other hand. When he finally spoke, his voice was tinged with frost.

"No daughter of mine, least of all my Celebrian, will enter a political marriage. It is her right to choose her partner, and no elf of honour would interfere with that."

"I. . . uh. . . yes." Elrond muttered.

"He is very suitable, tall and an admirable soldier." Celeborn said firmly. "He is kind and well-mannered, and shares much with my Celebrian. I look forward to welcoming him into my home."

"Into your home. . ." Elrond paused with a dismayed look. "Celebrian and her family will live with you?"

"Aye." Celeborn said grimly, as if daring anyone to suggest otherwise. "Where else could her comfort be assured? There is a delightful suite of rooms near our own chambers. She will be most happy there."

Elrond gulped.

"Oh."

~*~

As they climbed back onto the banks, someone hurried up and spoke quietly with Elrond and Glorfindel. Before Celebrian could get her bearings, they had been led away up some steps, heading towards the courtyard.

"Where. . ." she began, before realising that it probably was not wise to appear to curious. Her mother would never ask such questions. But then she never needed to.

"They?" Gil-galad spoke softly, and tilted his head towards the departing backs of the elves. "There is probably some pressing matter, that in their positions as Lord of Imladris and Chief Advisor, they must attend to."

Although he had taken care to speak too quietly for her mother to take notice, and disapprove of the question, Celebrian could not help feeling a little bit annoyed. The High King was battling a grin, almost as if he found the whole idea of Elrond and Glorfindel being in charge of a realm rather amusing.

"Well," Celebrian said haughtily, "I think that Lord Elrond is a fine. . . a quite wonderful leader. I would trust my life to him."

"Indeed." Gil-galad looked straight ahead as they begun mounting the steps, so it was impossible to tell if he was smiling or frowning. "Tell me, what do you think of his policy of rotating the crop harvests?"

~*~

By the time that Elrond and Glorfindel reached the courtyard, the riders were making their way along the road and the sound of hooves on stone was growing louder.

"The rearguard." Celeborn observed calmly, fending off irate glances from the advisors with looks that suggested that they should have asked him earlier if they had wanted to know.

"Ah." Elrond interjected swiftly, before Glorfindel should blurt out some entirely truthful but not exactly tactful comment. "Highly sensible."

Some twelve elves thundered into the courtyard, dressed in the armour of Lorien. One in particular caught Elrond's attention, and a swift glance sideways assured him that Celebrian shared his interest. His mail was shining silver and his cloak was shadowy grey. His fair hair fell down loose over his shoulders under his helm, and he carried a bow and long curving knife.

As the party approached the house, he dismounted and strode towards the group of onlookers.

"Haldir of Lorien." He inclined his head slightly to Elrond and then turned his Lord and Lady. His eyes lingered slightly on Celebrian's happy face. "I trust the journey was uneventful."

Celeborn spoke quietly with him for a few moments, then dismissed him with a sharp nod. He appeared well satisfied with whatever had been said, and exchanged a few words with Celebrian who started smiling.

Elrond's lip curled.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List