Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit to Imladris  by Dragon

After dinner the visitors from Lorien went for a walk in the gardens. Although it was as yet early in the spring, and the light was fading, the gardens were still beautiful. Flowers bloomed year round in Imladris, and the mild evening air was scented by early daffodils and blossom.

Pausing under a willow tree Celeborn gave Haldir an appraising look. He was a loyal guard, but it was doubtful whether he was loyal enough to assist him in his plan. He was after all an honest elf. But then, perhaps his cooperation would not be necessary. For Haldir had been showing an interest in his beautiful daughter for quite some time.

"How is the orc situation in the north borders?" Celeborn asked, moving to walk side by side with the newcomer.

Celebrian strolled along the path, filtering out the constant drone of conversation between her father and Haldir, as she pondered her own thoughts.

The Lord of Imladris appeared to be ignoring her, and it hurt more than she would care to admit. He had been so nice last night, and she could not quite see how this morning he could have been so distant. Maybe she had offended him with her hasty exit. Maybe he had decided that he did not like maidens like her. He had plenty of other admirers, perhaps he had decided that another was better suited to him. Perhaps if she. . .

"Celebrian." Her mother's voice cut across her thoughts. "You are very quiet this evening, does anything bother you?"

Galadriel brushed some blond curls back behind Celebrian's ear to see her daughter's face. Celebrian looked at her mother and smiled sheepishly.

"I was just thinking of Lord Elrond, Ammė." Celebrian said quietly. "You have known him for longer than I. What sort of elf is he?"

Galadriel looked closer at her daughter, and recognised the expression there.

"Elrond, he is a good leader and a good warrior. He is both kind and wise." Galadriel smiled at her daughter. "He is skilled in both healing and battle crafts, and he is well learned."

Celebrian smiled back at his mother, pleased at this complimentary account.

"But what of his friends, Ammė? How does he choose his friends?"

"You have seen his friends, Celebrian. I know not how or why he chooses them, but they seem true."

Celebrian thought of Elrond's friends, especially valiant Glorfindel and the High King Gil-galad. They all had one thing in common - they were all mighty warriors. If she was to attract Lord Elrond then she would clearly have to have more to wield than their shared interests in reading and herbs and flowers.

~*~

The Lord of Imladris stood on the highest of his terraces, back straight and head held high. The fine spray from the waterfall was cool against his face, and from here he could see the entire valley. Tiny specks of lights moved among the shadow of the forests and meadows indicating the lanterns of those who worked in the fields and dairies as they went home for the night.

So deep was he in thought that he did not notice the movement behind him until a hand was placed on his shoulder.

"The hour grows late." Gil-galad commented, leaning on the balustrades and joining Elrond in contemplation of the valley. "Come inside."

"Soon." Elrond said quietly, tearing his eyes away from the tiny pale shadows in the gardens that were the visitors from Lorien. There were four such shadows, and since one of them glinted slightly he had no trouble guessing the identity of the fourth companion.

"It may not be considered wise to. . . spy." Gil-galad did not look at Elrond, but the half-elf could tell that he was frowning.

The High King was right. There was no reason for him to be lurking up here in the lonely shadows to keep watch over his visitors. Had it been any other but Celebrian he would have been down there with them, showing them his favourite spots. Peculiarly, although at the time he had worked hard to slip away unnoticed before Celebrian could invite him to join them, now he would have given anything to be down there with them.

Deciding that changing the subject was a better bet than trying to explain to Gil-galad why exactly he had came to be up here when everybody else was enjoying themselves, Elrond looked south-east, towards the darkening cloud in the red-tinged sky.

"Evil is rising in the east." He commented gravely.

"Aye." Gil-galad stood up and stretched, unwilling, for this evening, to think of the gathering storm. In any case, he did not know whether the half- elf was looking at the distant darkness of Mordor, or the less distant realm of Lorien.

~*~

The halls of Imladris were dark and silent by now and most elves had long retired to their own rooms. The singing had ceased in the Hall of Fire and the merry company had gradually drifted off to their own purposes, leaving only those who wished to sit in silence and think.

At this late hour only three remained, talking quietly, shadowy silhouettes against the glow of the flames.

"I cannot let this rest." Elrond said grimly, pressing his clenched fist down onto the arm of his chair. "I will not let this happen."

He turned to his friends with a look that reminded them of what a fearsome opponent he really was.

"You will help me." It may or may not have been a question.

"I stand with you, Elrond." Glorfindel assured him, with a nod of his blond head. "We shall defeat this new evil."

"I will tell you now, Peredhil, this is a foolish plan." Gil-galad shook his head. He looked again at Elrond's darkly intense face, and grimaced slightly. "But I shall help you, though it be against my better judgement."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List