Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of Webs and Wizards  by jenolas

Of Webs And Wizards.

Chapter 1. A Chance Encounter?

Estel slowly opened eyes that were heavy with the deep sleep he was being drawn out of by the sounds of well-known voices in the courtyard below. Filled with curiosity as to why Elladan and Elrohir were up so early, he ran quickly through the corridors that lead from the rooms he and his mother occupied in Elrond’s home and into the dull grey morning light that filtered into the courtyard. His run was halted suddenly as he was lifted easily into the arms of Elladan who had spied him rushing towards them out of the corner of his eye.

"Where are you going?" Estel asked breathlessly, looking first at his captor and then turning his gaze to Elrohir, noting they were both dressed for a long journey.

"We are off to Mirkwood to hunt spiders with Legolas," Elrohir answered as he reached across his horse's back and tightened the strap holding his travel pack.

"Spiders? Why does Legolas need help catching spiders?" the child asked innocently, as Elladan lowered him to the ground. "Mama does not need help to find them and she easily catches them," he added, confused as to why an Elf would need assistance if she did not.

"These are no ordinary house spiders, they are very large and very ugly, not to mention poisonous, and they are very hard to kill," explained Elladan. "They live in the trees in the dark places of the forest and prey on any who pass by, and even the Wood Elves are very wary of travelling those paths."

"I am a good hunter, and I am not afraid. Can I come too?" asked Estel, his eyes alight with eagerness, although he still did not really comprehend the danger.

"I am afraid not. It is far too dangerous a hunt for someone as young as you. Besides, Gilraen would never forgive us if a spider ate you!" exclaimed Elrohir as he affectionately tousled the boy's hair. "When you are older we will take you on one of our trips, I promise."

Estel had barely been able to control the tears of disappointment at Elrohir's words, and although he knew that the Elf would honour his promise, it was no consolation as he watched Elrond's sons mount their horses and ride off on their adventure.

With the grim determination and fury of a boy of eight summers who had been laughed at by his elders, he decided on a course of action that was intended to show them how wrong they had been to leave him behind. He quickly made his way to the kitchen and stuffed some lembas cakes in his pocket, took a water bottle from its place by the well and, following a secret track that he had discovered, made his way unseen into the forest that grew to the very gates of Imladris.

The morning dew hung heavily on the leaves of the dense undergrowth Estel was attempting to penetrate as he pursued his quest. As he pushed the branches of another bush aside, to his annoyance, several drops of ice-cold water landed on his head. The droplets hung momentarily on the ends of damp strands of dark hair before they trickled inside the collar of his shirt, leaving a trail of goose bumps as the tiny rivulets rapidly slithered between his shoulder blades and down his back. The tickling sensation made Estel shiver, for now he was not only wet, but cold as well and he felt as gloomy as the threatening grey storm clouds above.

The darkness of this part of the forest, where the trees grew so close that even had the sun been shining, its warm friendly light would not have reached the forest floor, was both frightening and welcome. Surely, he reasoned, there would also be spiders here, maybe not as big as those in Mirkwood, but large enough that he would be considered a clever hunter for killing one or two. Then perhaps next time Elladan and Elrohir would have no excuse for leaving him behind.

Another droplet fell on him and he glared up in annoyance, a jubilant smile replacing his frown as he saw the source of the water. Not leaves, this time, but a very large cobweb, its gossamer threads bending slightly with the weight of the silver drops of dew that glistened even in the pale morning light. In the centre of the web was its maker, a spider larger than any he had seen before, and in his naiveté he was certain that this was at least as big as the ones in Mirkwood. Why, its dark round body was as large as Estel's fist, and he could easily imagine how deadly the poison of such an evil creature would be, though he did not really think it could eat him, as Elladan had suggested. Dismissing that notion as simply an attempt on his foster brother's part to scare him, he looked around for something to use as a weapon.

There was a scattering of large stones beneath his feet and he quickly selected a few of the larger ones, and moved back a few paces so that his target was well within his sights. Taking careful aim, he threw the first stone, hitting the spider but not dislodging it. His second attempt resulted in the miserable creature moving swiftly along one arc of the web and out of sight. Estel muttered several elvish words he was certain Elladan used for cursing, and threw another stone in the direction he had seen the spider flee.

"Do you mind? It is enough that the sky threatens rain, I do not need to be 'hailed' upon by a carelessly thrown stones as well," boomed a loud voice, halting Estel's arm in mid throw. His eyes widened in astonishment at the figure that emerged from behind the trees, and he momentarily lost the ability to speak. "Have you nothing to say?" asked the heavily bearded stranger who was wearing grey robes, a blue pointed hat and leaned heavily on a large staff as he walked. Estel stood transfixed as inquisitive eyes, seemingly full of life and mischief peered deeply into his from under the brim of the hat.

"I am sorry, I did not mean to cause you injury, sir. I thought I was alone in these woods, " he managed to say finally. The old man nodded acceptance of the apology and seated himself on a nearby log.

"So, what are you doing in this dismal place, Estel?" he asked, smiling as the child's jaw dropped open at the use of his name.

"How did you know my name?" he asked, his surprise changing rapidly to wariness; he knew he had never seen this old man before, and had no idea how he had learned his name.

"I know many things," the stranger answered mysteriously, pulling a pipe from out of the folds of his robe and proceeding to light it. "For instance, I know you and your mother live at Imladris as the guests of Lord Elrond, that you have just seen eight summers and that you somehow believe that the small spider up there is comparable to the children of Shelob that are to be found in Mirkwood," he said, glancing up into the tree where all sign of Estel's quarry had vanished.

"You must be some kind of wizard to know such things," commented Estel, daring to sit next to his companion, his curiosity winning out over his initial fear. Somehow he felt drawn to the strange old man and knew instinctively that he meant no harm.

"I have been called that by some," he agreed, a smile lighting his eyes and crinkling his brow. Taking one of the lembas cakes from his pocket, he offered it to his companion, who declined the food with a slight shake of his head. Estel shrugged and munched on the lembas as he continued to study the stranger. The wizard allowed the child to inspect his features and the boy stared in wonder at the age worn face with most of the wrinkles hidden beneath the man's long grey hair and beard. It was a sight he had never seen before, living as he did amongst the ageless Elves.

"How old are you?" he asked, his inspection complete.

"You know, I am not really certain. All I can say is that I have been alive a long time," the wizard answered cryptically.

"Where are you from?" Estel tried again, hoping for a simple answer this time.

"Oh, here and there," was the response. "I do not exactly remember my home."

"I thought you said you knew many things. So far you seem to know nothing except about me," declared Estel, his frustration at the evasive answers evident in his tightly clenched jaw.

"Then perhaps I should have said that I know many IMPORTANT things," the wizard said. "

"And do you also know important PEOPLE, like Lord Elrond?" enquired Estel, not really expecting to hear a straight answer.

"As a matter of fact, yes. I meet them all the time, and in the most unlooked for places," he replied, speaking more to himself than the boy. "As for Elrond, I am well acquainted with him and I am on my way to Imladris to pay him a visit," the wizard said, surprising Estel by answering the question he had intended to ask next. "Would you care to accompany me, Estel? Unless your business with the spiders is more pressing, of course."

"The spiders can wait," he replied unwilling to let such an interesting and totally mysterious person out of his sight. "I wonder, do you happen to remember your name?" he asked raising an eyebrow and causing the old man to laugh out loud.

Placing a friendly arm about the boy's shoulder as they walked towards Imladris, he answered simply, "My name is Gandalf."





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List