Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of Webs and Wizards  by jenolas

Chapter 2. Consequences

Although Estel felt as if he had travelled many miles through the undergrowth in his quest for spiders, the densely wooded part of the forest where he and Gandalf had met was actually barely an hour away from the gates of Imladris, to which the two were now headed. 

“Shall I lead the way, Gandalf? Elrohir says I have ‘much potential’ as a scout, he says I might even become a Ranger when I grow up” said Estel with some pride, and trying out the wizard’s name for the first time. Clearly the child was feeling more at ease with his new friend the longer he was in the old man’s company. 

“Does he now? Then I would certainly like to see a demonstration of your scouting skills. Lead on!” he responded, smiling as the ranger-to-be straightened his shoulders and took on an air of self-confidence as he walked on ahead. “I like your name, does it have a meaning?” asked Estel, as he looked back over his shoulder to make sure he was not setting too fast a pace for the wizard. 

“I believe it means ‘Elf of the Wand’ in the language of the Men of the North,” Gandalf replied.          

“I thought you said you were a wizard!” declared a slightly annoyed Estel as he stopped and turned to face his companion.  

“As I recall, I did not actually say I was a wizard, I believe I said that I have been called one by some,” Gandalf said, unable to keep the mirth from his voice at the sight of his angry young friend now standing in his path, arms folded across his chest and glaring indignantly at his elder.

“You do not look like an Elf, but you are certainly just as annoying as some of them,” the boy stated sullenly, thinking of Elladan and Elrohir in particular. 

“Annoying? Hmm…well I have certainly been called that before. However, as to whether or not I am an Elf, I will bow to your judgement in that area since you are well acquainted with so many,” Gandalf conceded, indicating that they should continue towards their destination with a wave of his hand.  

 “Do you know what ‘Estel’ means?” the boy asked, his anger apparently having evaporated as quickly as it had arisen, only to be replaced by curiosity. 

“You are definitely a most inquisitive child,” commented Gandalf, “but yes, your name means ‘hope’, and a very fitting name it is for you, too.”  

“That is what I overheard Lord Elrond tell Glorfindel one day,” confessed Estel. 

“Really? Do you often listen to conversations not meant for your ears?” his companion asked with some interest, smiling at the slight pink tinge that slowly crept up the child’s neck.  

“It was an accident, honestly! I did not mean to listen; I was just trying to hide from Elladan. It was not my fault they stopped to talk in front of the statue I was hiding behind,” he confessed with an honesty that impressed Gandalf. “Besides, I have no idea what they were talking about or why ‘hope’ is a good name for me.” 

“Then perhaps you should ask Elrond to explain,” suggested the wizard kindly. It had already been decided that Elrond should tell Estel the truth about his heritage, but it was not yet time. “Oh! Look! I do believe we are approaching the gates of Imladris, and not a moment too soon!” exclaimed Gandalf as the first large drops of rain began to fall, conveniently allowing him to avoid any further conversation regarding names.  

Even though they ran quickly for the shelter ahead, both of them were soaking wet before they reached the entrance hall of the Last Homely House.  

“Estel! Where have you been?” demanded Gilraen angrily. She had seen her wayward son and his companion running across the courtyard and was standing in the doorway, awaiting their arrival, a mixture of relief and anger on her lovely face. “I have been searching everywhere for you this morning, as have many others. How many times have I told you not to wander off without my permission? What have you to say for yourself?” she demanded, her eyes flashing with the fury of motherly wrath. 

“I am sorry for making you angry, Mother, and I did not mean to worry you, but I had something important to do in the woods,” he explained, hugging her around the waist in what he hoped was a conciliatory gesture. Gilraen sighed and returned the hug, but was not placated. “I even met a wizard,” he said smiling at Gandalf who bowed politely to Gilraen, whom he had met a few years ago during one of his previous visits to Elrond’s home. With a curt nod of greeting in reply to the wizard, she turned her attention back to her son.

“I am glad that you are safely returned, but I am afraid your actions cannot go unpunished, no matter how sorry you appear to be,” she said sternly. “However, first we must get you out of those wet clothes. A nice warm bath, and some breakfast is in order, then we can discuss this further,” she said more gently as she noticed the child begin to shiver in the cool air. 

“But I had a bath yesterday…” he started to protest, only to be quickly silenced by the glare she favoured him with, her eyes warning him to say nothing more. Now was not the time for their usual disagreement about bathing and his distinct lack of fondness for the activity, Estel wisely decided. 

“You are freezing cold, and you are covered with dirt…. and scratches,” she stated as she inspected his face more closely. “And what have you done to this?” she asked, sighing in exasperation and pointing to the rather long rip in the sleeve of his shirt.

“It is just a little tear,” said Estel, dismissing the problem with a casual shrug of his shoulders. His mother always complained about the state of his clothes after he had been playing or had been on some adventure, for no matter how hard he tried, he could never manage to keep neat and tidy. He was not an Elf, after all.  

 “Honestly, Estel, sometimes I think the more scruffy your appearance, the better you like it. You must learn to take more care,” she admonished as she ushered her son towards their quarters, stopping only to speak to Elrond as he passed them in the hallway.

“Thank you for your assistance….again,” said Estel’s’ mother, looking pointedly at the child whose hand she held in a firm grasp.

“I see I may now call off the search parties,” commented Elrond dryly, smiling at Gilraen with a look of parental understanding for, as the father of twin boys he knew exactly how much trouble a son could be. “I trust your mother will devise a suitable punishment for you, Estel, so all I will say is that I am most disappointed with your behaviour this morning,” said Elrond, the tone of reprimand in his voice was not lost on the child who stood silently, his eyes downcast.

“Come, Estel, the bath awaits,” said Gilraen, leading her son towards their chambers.   

Estel decided that rather than risk angering his mother further, he should suffer her ministrations in silence, nevertheless he was relieved when she was finally satisfied that he was clean enough to finish his bath and get dressed.

“Your clothes are on the chair,” she said as she handed him a towel. “Please dress quickly while I go to the kitchen and fetch you some breakfast.” Gilraen returned a few minutes later with a bowl of steaming oatmeal and a pot of the herb tea she favoured. Although he had eaten some lembas earlier, Estel hungrily devoured his breakfast while his mother sipped her tea.

“What were you doing in the woods?” she asked when he had finished eating.

“Hunting spiders.”

“Why?”

“Because Elladan and Elrohir would not let me go to Mirkwood with them, they said I was too young to hunt spiders,” he explained.

“I see, and you wanted to prove them wrong?” she surmised.

“Yes, I almost killed a VERY BIG one, but that wizard scared it away,” he declared, deciding that Gandalf was to blame for his inability to actually harm the spider he had found.

“Be that as it may,” said Gilraen, obviously unimpressed, “you should not have been there at all, and as far as Mirkwood is concerned, the twins were correct, it is a dangerous place for adults, let alone a child, no matter how grown up he thinks he is,” she added before he had a chance to argue the point. “You do know that you are not permitted to go into the forest without telling anyone, especially me, where you are going, don’t you?” Estel nodded, his heart beat beginning to race as he waited to hear his punishment. “Yet you chose to disobey that rule. Well, to give you some time to reflect on your unacceptable behaviour, I have decided that you are not to leave this room for the rest of the day, for any reason. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Mother,” he answered meekly, thinking that since the rainy weather would have kept him indoors anyway, it was a sentence he could easily endure.

“Very well. I will return at noon with your midday meal,” she said, kissing him gently on the forehead before leaving him alone.

                                                  *******        

“Gandalf, it is a pleasure to see you again,” said Elrond continuing on to greet the wizard who had remained in the entrance hall and watched the scene between mother and son in amused silence.  “ I see you have finally decided to make yourself known to Estel,” he added, inclining his head in the direction Gilraen and her son had just departed.  

“Greetings, Elrond. Yes, it was fortunate that I came upon the young one in the forest, he might have done himself some harm, but we can speak more of our meeting later. Have you not noticed the unpleasant weather we are experiencing this morning? I think Gilraen’s idea of a nice warm bath is quite appealing, these old bones feel the cold terribly,” he said sadly, knowing Elrond would take the hint. He was not disappointed.

“Forgive my rudeness, Gandalf, my friend,” apologised Elrond with a small bow of respect. “Let me show you to your usual room. Shall I organise some breakfast for you as well as a hot bath?” 

“An excellent suggestion,” agreed the wizard enthusiastically, clapping the Elf Lord on the shoulder as they made their way to the guest apartments.

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List