Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Up the Withywindle  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 3

The first time they had gone to the house of Tom Bombadil, it had been in the fall, near dusk. Tom had gone ahead to light the house, and left them to follow along behind. But today in the bright summer afternoon, Tom rode with them, as they followed the path up the Withywindle.

Soon they came to the low rise near a small waterfall; they could see the swift river merrily singing among the summer rushes beneath the brilliant summer sky. A grassy sward stretched before them, dotted here and there with flowers, and the well-tended path led up the grassy knoll, down slightly, and then on up a small hill, atop which stood a low and welcoming stone house, its windows wide and its thatch gleaming like gold.

As they approached, singing gladly, they heard a sweet voice join in, and Goldberry appeared in the open doorway:

Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
  Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather,
  Light on the budding leaf, dew on the feather,
  Wind on the open hill, bells on the heather,
  Reeds by the shady pool, lilies on the water:
  Old Tom Bombadil and the River-daughter!*

The lady welcomed them over the wide stone threshold, bending to give each of them a fond embrace as they entered. Tom had gone to stable the ponies.

“Enter, dear guests, and welcome back!” she said, laughing in delight.

The four bowed politely, hobbit fashion, and Frodo said “Fair Lady Goldberry! Thank you for your welcome; long it is since we have seen the lovely River-woman’s daughter!”

She laughed. “And you are as fair-spoken as ever, Frodo Baggins of the Shire!” She bade the hobbits to be seated, and she took up a basket of fresh rushes she must have just gathered and carried it from the room. They could hear Tom’s singing faintly coming from behind the house, and her voice also joining in from elsewhere.

In only a few moments Tom came in, just as Goldberry returned to the room. “My fair Goldberry!” he cried, taking her hands in his. “Here’s my lovely lady, clad in summer yellow and with daisies in her hair! Have you greeted our hungry hobbit lads?”

“Indeed,” she laughed. “I thought on so fair and long a summer day, it would be well to take our meal outdoors beside the River.” She pointed to a laden hamper that stood beside the door. “Perhaps our guests would like to refresh themselves before we set forth?”

“Oh excellent Goldberry!” Tom exclaimed, “We shall celebrate the Mid-year thus!”

He led the hobbits down the passage to the little guest room they had shared once before. It was all prepared for them, with the low mattresses set out, and the washbasins ready. The stone room was cool, and the water in the ewers scented with summer herbs.

“When you have washed the stains of travel all away, come down to the Riverside where we shall both await you. We shall have some toothsome fare there to set before you.” Tom went out and left them.

“Oh my!” Pippin heaved a happy sigh. “I had almost forgotten what excellent hosts they are.” He poured some of the water into a washbasin and plunged his face and hands right in.

Frodo, Merry and Sam soon followed his example.

“Well, this is a right treat,” said Sam. “I’m glad we decided to come.”

“Indeed,” said Frodo, “so am I.”

Merry was pleased to see Frodo looked more relaxed and content than he had seen him in months. He and Sam exchanged a satisfied look.

______________________________________________

The four friends soon took themselves back down the path to the Riverside, where they saw Tom and Goldberry had spread snowy white cloths upon the grassy sward, and from the hamper had produced a feast of white bread and fresh butter and honeycomb. There were strawberries almost as large as apples, and a large salad of young greens and vegetables freshly picked, a platter of red tomatoes sliced and dressed with herbs and soft fresh cheese, and many other good things to tempt a hobbit’s appetite.

Again they had the fresh, cool water to drink, that seemed to affect them like honey-mead. Even as it set his head to spinning, Merry thought to ask:

“Tom, is this like Ent-draughts?”

Tom Bombadil laughed heartily. “As well to ask, ‘are Ent-draughts like this?’ It is not quite the same, yet very like indeed. But you will grow no more inches from Tom’s brewing I daresay.”

Pippin, already in a jolly mood, laughed even more at this. “It is as well. I do not like to think of having to order another new bed when I get home!”

The hobbits lay upon the soft grass when they had done with their eating, and half dozed as they listened to Tom and Goldberry softly singing.

After a while they began to stir. Merry and Pippin soon got up and began to frolic in the grass like children. Goldberry arose after watching them for a time. She gave a merry laugh and chased them toward the River. Before they knew what happened they had plunged in clothes and all, and she followed laughing. The three played and swam like young otters, Goldberry in nowise hampered by her gown, which seemed in some way to have become part of her as she entered the water.

Sam got up and wandered over to some flowers he had noticed, that were different than any others he had known.

Tom looked at Frodo keenly. “I had a long visit from a friend of yours when you returned.”

“Gandalf.”

“Yes. He feared for you.”

“I know.”

“Tell me.” said Tom. And Frodo soon found himself recounting the Quest in a way that he had never done before. He had told some parts of it, from time to time, skimping on details, and concentrating on the actual events, while keeping all he had thought and felt and suffered tightly to himself. A few who knew him well had guessed some of it, yet it was never information freely offered. But now he told Tom all; it flowed from him effortlessly, as though he did not even have to think to speak.

As he drew to a close, Tom nodded. “I see now why Gandalf fears for you, yet there is some strength left yet that even he has not credited.”

“Do you think so, Tom?” whispered Frodo. “I do not think that I shall live through another illness.”

“That is true.”

Frodo looked up to where his cousins played in the water, and at Sam, who now stood near the bank, watching and laughing.

“I should not mind so much for myself. But--”

“You think to spare them.”

“Yes.”

Tom reached over and placed a finger upon the Queen’s Elven-jewel around his neck. “Then you know what you will do.”

“Yes.”

“Do not fear for your dear ones. There are still those who will watch out for them.”

Frodo looked at Tom hopefully. “Thank you.”

As the Sun finally began her setting, Tom laid a fire upon a large flat rock. They ate some more from the hamper, and lay about in the grass as Tom told them story after story; the sparks from the fire mingled with the glittering of stars reflected in the river, while the music of the water filled their ears. The Moon had risen high before they all made their way back up the path to the house.

The hobbits went contented and tired to their beds, and this time none of them were troubled with dreams.

_________________________________________________

*From The Fellowship of the Ring, Book 1, Chapter 7, “The Old Forest”

_________________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List