Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Up the Withywindle  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 4

They spent several days in the house of Tom Bombadil. In the mornings, they helped Goldberry in the large garden, filled with vegetables and herbs, or they roamed about with Tom through the forest as he visited badgers in their holes or foxes in their dens, and he pointed out to them the wonders of the wood. One morning Tom took them in a small boat to visit otters and beavers. He teased and taunted the haughty swans as they sailed by. The afternoons and evenings they spent much as they had the first night, picnicking and playing and swimming. After the first couple of days, Frodo too joined in the water fun, and only Sam was left to stand on the bank and watch.

The third day, as Sam stood there watching rather wistfully as Frodo and his cousins splashed and dove, Goldberry arose from the water in front of him. It seemed that she shot straight up out of the River like a fountain.

“Little gardener, why do you only stand and watch?” she asked gently.

“I can’t swim, Lady Goldberry, and I’m mortal a-feared of drowning. Mr. Frodo, he’s asked to teach me many times, but I just can’t seem to do it.”

She laughed. “Are you afraid of me?” she asked, holding out her two hands.

“Never!” And he found himself placing his hands in hers.

Slowly and carefully she led him into the water. Supporting his head and knees, she taught him how to float upon his back, and to control his breathing. After a while he began to relax at the unaccustomed feeling of cool water supporting his back and the warm sun upon his face.

For learning to swim there could never be a better teacher than the River-woman’s daughter, and in a few hours, he had gained enough confidence to swim a few strokes on his own, and had no fear when his face went beneath the water.

Frodo, Merry and Pippin had stopped their play to watch in amazement. They had coaxed and wheedled Sam for years, and never got him into the water.

After a few days of lessons, he felt confident enough to venture out to where the other hobbits were. He did not care to join in the rougher play, but was content with floating on the surface of the water. They were very careful not to disturb him.

_____________________________________________

They were not sure how long they had stayed, but thought that it must have been a couple of weeks, when they awakened one morning with the knowledge that it was time to go home.

Tom and Goldberry seemed to know of their decision without being told.

“I see our hobbit-lads for home now are pining,” said Tom as they came to breakfast.

“Yes,” said Frodo, “I think that it is time for leave-taking.”

“Ah,” said Tom, “but come the spring-time, when Tom and the River-daughter go down to the withy-path to bathe in the water, then perhaps our hobbit friends can find their way back to us. Here they can find rest and respite from ill memory.”

Frodo looked at Tom; he knew that the invitation was not for him, but for his dear ones, who would next year be left to suffer through Rethe without him. He said only “Thank you.”

Tom and Merry went to ready the ponies, while Sam and Pippin gathered up their belongings. Frodo stood with Goldberry by the path.

“Farewell, my fair Lady Goldberry,” he said, with a touch of the old heaviness returning.

“Farewell, dear Elf-friend, wherever you fare, even over the Sundering Sea.” And she bent and placed a gentle kiss, like a benediction, on his brow. His heart lifted once more, and he gazed at her in wonder.

Merry and Tom returned with the ponies, and Sam and Pippin came out with their packs. They mounted, and rode off, turning back often to wave at their hosts, and call out farewells. South and west they rode, down the Withywindle, to the place where it found the Brandywine and home.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List